PDA

View Full Version : Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz***Very fun!!!

Kimberley
8th November 2013, 03:33
Now this is fun!! I got 12 out of 13 correct.

Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

Take our 13-question quiz to test your knowledge of scientific concepts. Then see how you did in comparison with the 1,006 randomly sampled adults asked the same questions in a national poll conducted by the Pew Research Center and Smithsonian magazine.

The analysis of the findings from the poll can be found in the full report. (No peeking! If you are going to take the quiz, do it first before reading the analysis.)

This is the question I got incorrect and I find it interesting that I never knew this before now. My husband knew the correct answer and my intelligent senior in high school daughter did not know the answer either...

"Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere?"

Please do not be a spoiler and give any of the answers here on this thread....feel free to share what question you got an incorrect on but do not give the answer... thanks...

The statistics of the original 1000 test takers is interesting also... Have fun and share your experience if you so choose... :-)

Much love, peace, and fun to us all!! :grouphug:

ps I know Pew Research is not on the good boys list...but the test is fun...

Craig
8th November 2013, 04:16
Very good, I quite liked it, though it did say 1% failed with all questions wrong? Trying to change the results?

kenaz
8th November 2013, 04:29
Hi Kimberley...
That's the same question I got wrong. Looking at the graph below it was the most missed.
But it did the rest right!

Tesla_WTC_Solution
8th November 2013, 04:33
Hi Kimberley...
That's the same question I got wrong. Looking at the graph below it was the most missed.

LOL you and me got the same result.

It puts the lotion in the basket, by the way...

Robin
8th November 2013, 05:51
The question "Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere?" was what I would think most people know. Interesting.

Anyway, 100% for me, though I am a scientist. ;)

Akasha
8th November 2013, 08:37
Hi Kimberley...

That's the one I got wrong too. :(

BTW you don't have to fill in the additional questions at the end to get a result.

Shannow
8th November 2013, 09:54
:facepalm: that anyone got any wrong...

sorry

Corncrake
8th November 2013, 10:03
I got a full score too but only because I have done scuba diving - and had to learn about what goes in the tanks you carry on your back!

If you want something with a bit more bite - try this quiz (I only got 50% but ego dictates I must say I am an arts graduate!):

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/Composing-about-78-percent-of-the-air-at-sea-level-what-is-the-most-common-gas-in-the-Earth-s-atmosphere

Mark (Star Mariner)
8th November 2013, 13:53
13 out of 13 in about 1 minute :) Not to offend anyone that got several or lots of these wrong here, but these are very basic 'common 'knowledge' questions rather than complex scientific problems. Fair enough if you missed 1 or 2, but to think that a large number of people, based on the stats at the end, could get so many of these wrong is shocking.

Mark (Star Mariner)
8th November 2013, 14:14
I got a full score too but only because I have done scuba diving - and had to learn about what goes in the tanks you carry on your back!

If you want something with a bit more bite - try this quiz (I only got 50% but ego dictates I must say I am an arts graduate!):

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/Composing-about-78-percent-of-the-air-at-sea-level-what-is-the-most-common-gas-in-the-Earth-s-atmosphere

Cheers for that, it's well worth the time to give it a go. I got 68% - definitely a few tough ones in there, and I struggled mostly on the chemistry questions.

Ernie Nemeth
8th November 2013, 15:34
Not much of a test. Easy questions on very basic knowledge. Stuff most kids would know and anyone really interested in the truth would have to know. How else can one gauge the veracity of any proposition, scientific or otherwise, if one does not have a very good handle on the basics? Shake my head and remember why I am the one sidelined...any with true intelligence are the enemy.

TargeT
8th November 2013, 15:39
You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%.

seems like those questions were a bit easy and there was a question in there that seemed a bit "loaded"

What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise?

Most... really?

Now THAT was tough!

35 Correct
15Wrong

70% You answered 35 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 70%.

Average reader scores 68%

The average reader is damn smart.. that quiz was TOUGH! (I guessed at more than a few)

Ernie Nemeth
8th November 2013, 16:35
Yup, much harder. But I do not consider names, history of science and trick mathematical questions to be a measure of intelligence. Who cares what it is called or who found it - it's all about how it works and why.

76%

Kimberley
8th November 2013, 16:55

Well I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable and proud of my 58% score. I too was an arts major in college and that was over 30 years ago.

That was a hard test but at the same time there were a lot of questions that I knew the answer without reading the choices. (patting self on back) :-)

It says that the average score of those that have taken the test is 68%. Well I suppose only a person that considers them self to be at least somewhat knowledgeable about science and technology would take the time to take the test..like us.

Thanks that was fun!

conk
8th November 2013, 17:36
You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.

Yeah. That was fun. I'm guessing the older folks got most right, whereas younger people are simply not being taught these things or do not read much.

jagman
8th November 2013, 17:43
I got 12 out of 13 correct Kimberley. The question I got wrong was which gas makes up
most of our atmosphere. So I took the test twice and i got a 100% lol

dianna
8th November 2013, 17:49
I got 12 out of 13 correct Kimberley. The question I got wrong was which gas makes up
most of our atmosphere. So I took the test twice and i got a 100% lol

LOL, genius!

I got 12 out of 13

Limor Wolf
8th November 2013, 18:06
No scientist or 'technologist' here, I am afraid. I scored 11 of 13, did not succeed in the question most everyone failed (shame on us) and another one which my English was not sufficient enough for and I was too lazy to check in the dictionary. Thanks, Kimberly.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
8th November 2013, 18:28
Whoa -- I am getting rusty -- the 2nd test is a lil bit harder !!

Can't believe how little I know about certain things, i.e. geology, remembering the periodic table, etc. :(

p.s. I started sweating it toward the end, only made a 74% :(

missed some super easy ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*toss computer*

doodah
8th November 2013, 18:44
Okay, just for fun, I got 13 out 13 but I do have agree that it's pretty simple stuff. I'm an artist with an interest in just about everything. I'd need many lives to follow all my interests in depth, including the sciences, but maybe not math!

selinam
8th November 2013, 18:59
I got 100% right -surprisingly -lol

aranuk
8th November 2013, 20:21
I got the fracking one wrong and the gas in the atmosphere too. 11-13

Stan

Lifebringer
8th November 2013, 20:30
12 out of 13. Guess I still got it enough.

Lifebringer
8th November 2013, 20:51
Got a 94, and I'm no scientist.
You probably could have aced the 2nd test. I didn't take that one, don't trust PEW.

Shannow
8th November 2013, 23:48
I sat my 8 and 10 year olds on the first test (together, I wanted them to collaborate, and share where they got each other's knowledge), and they scored 11, missing nitrogen and fracking (fracking discussions around here are "coal" and they got bushwhacked.

That CS test is great...82%, but have to admit that Q38, I had to recall bella and edward in Twilight to get the answer to...I thought that I hated that movie

Garry Irwin
9th November 2013, 00:34
100% on the OP quiz and 82% on the other, much harder quiz... which was quite a challenge, but I'm no scientist.
:)

LivioRazlo
9th November 2013, 00:36
I got 10/13 correct. Like some of the posts above, I am in to many things: science, spirituality, art, etc. One question which I cannot believe I missed was the one about the gas which occupies most of the Earth. Haha, crazy stuff, but nonetheless, still happy to know that I know more than 63% of the public and less than 25%.