PDA

View Full Version : Flies

Celine
6th October 2010, 16:35
This is a topic that we (richard and I ) have been meaning to bring to the forum for a while.

We both have noticed how flies (house variety) tend to gather, just before something very bad is about to happen.

I will share more about our specific experiences...but i wanted to ask first if anyone else has noticed the presence of these flies during dark times in their lives.

shadowstalker
6th October 2010, 17:10
Yes I have noticed the gathering of the flies , but never noticed a pattern , but then again I think I will keep notes on these events from now on.

Thanks for the head up.

Beth
6th October 2010, 17:25
Gonna keep my eye out for that Celine!

Now I'm going :offtopic:

Some of you in the chat know that there's been a war waged in my house this summer. Due to our new composting project there has been increased fly activity and population. There are these small, annoying, little flies that have been getting in my house. I tried to speak to them rationally, told them I have a whole acre and a half for them to live. Asked them to leave and to not touch me. They did not comply.

While sleeping, they thought it was funny to land on my face, and took off as I go to shoo them. They like to repeat every ten minutes so I could not get back to REM state. I could hear them laughing at me.

So I decided to wage war, and told them so. I do hate killing anything, but was left with no choice as sleep is very important to me, as is my personal space. So next to my favorite back scratcher, was my fly swatter. I vowed to win each and every battle. Seems like the war is coming to an end, but that's probably because it's fall now :tongue1:

Elandiel BernElve
6th October 2010, 17:53
Haha war on flies is one you can't win... Fall coming means you have a truce;) the war is far from over.
Like you I won't kill any living creature.... except flies.... dirty black annoying flies.... and moustiques, and an occasional spider to prevent its thousand littluns to take over my home.

On topic:
Didn't notica that, thanks for the tip! I love experiments :P

Victoria Tintagel
6th October 2010, 18:14
Hi Fly Avalonians, this is a funny topic! Are you sirius? I don't want to imply that you are all dirty rats....:p but isn't it simply a matter of hygien and harmony (in you) in the atmosphere in the home, or wherever the flies gather? Whenever they gather..... The Great Gathering....aha, is that what it means? Sorry.........:eek: it's mostly at the home of families where I work, there's lots of sweet smelling fruit and leftovers, hanging on taps, in the knives and forks department :) or sticking to the wall of the kitchen sink. Where's food there are flies....and when people are nervous flies sit on them, begin zooming around them. The more nervous the person becomes, the more the flies begin to love this person....... as they feed on emotional garbage.
Flies are nice creatures, cleaning nature and they entertain the little boy I take care of, keeping him concentrated on them when they fly through the room, for 15 minutes at least, at one stretch. "Zzzzzhhhhhhhzhhhhzhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhzzzzzz" for 15 minutes! :)I have flies in the summer, when the door to the garden is open, big black ones.
They keep Zzzzzzzhhhhzzzhhzzzzzhhhh against the windowpane, until they drop......dead.

Fredkc
6th October 2010, 18:18
Tint;
You should know by now that, here at Avalon, we are always dead cereal. ;)

Fred

Victoria Tintagel
6th October 2010, 18:34
Hereby I grant you a sixth star, Fredkc! :)Tint.

shadowstalker
6th October 2010, 19:11
Hi Fly Avalonians, this is a funny topic! Are you sirius? I don't want to imply that you are all dirty rats....:p but isn't it simply a matter of hygien and harmony (in you) in the atmosphere in the home, or wherever the flies gather? Whenever they gather..... The Great Gathering....aha, is that what it means? Sorry.........:eek: it's mostly at the home of families where I work, there's lots of sweet smelling fruit and leftovers, hanging on taps, in the knives and forks department :) or sticking to the wall of the kitchen sink. Where's food there are flies....and when people are nervous flies sit on them, begin zooming around them. The more nervous the person becomes, the more the flies begin to love this person....... as they feed on emotional garbage.
Flies are nice creatures, cleaning nature and they entertain the little boy I take care of, keeping him concentrated on them when they fly through the room, for 15 minutes at least, at one stretch. "Zzzzzhhhhhhhzhhhhzhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhzzzzzz" for 15 minutes! :)I have flies in the summer, when the door to the garden is open, big black ones.
They keep Zzzzzzzhhhhzzzhhzzzzzhhhh against the windowpane, until they drop......dead.

I think it may have to do with harmony in my house,
When my S.O./husband is home, then the flies come a buzzin, he is very negative and service to self.
I try to steer clear when he is home, i usually go outside to read, or go in my daughter's room till he is asleep.

THIRDEYE
6th October 2010, 19:33
great post celine...ive noticed thaat flies tend to congragate more when there is a extreme change of weather,noticeably before a hurricane or before the storm...i dont know if they tend to congragate when something metaphysical happens,this post has definetely opened up my curiosity....love light and abundance.....thirdeye....

Elandiel BernElve
6th October 2010, 19:40
In the movie Sherlock Holmes, Holmes experiments with flying pattern of flies during his two weeks of isolation in his studyroom.
He finds out when he plays the violin harmoniously the flies fly away from each other. Yet when he plays chaotic nonsense non harmony they fly towards each other and form a pattern.

So maybe the writer knew when disharmony takes place flies start emerging and fly all sorts of annoying dances ;)

Celine
6th October 2010, 20:06
In the movie Sherlock Holmes, Holmes experiments with flying pattern of flies during his two weeks of isolation in his studyroom.
He finds out when he plays the violin harmoniously the flies fly away from each other. Yet when he plays chaotic nonsense non harmony they fly towards each other and form a pattern.

So maybe the writer knew when disharmony takes place flies start emerging and fly all sorts of annoying dances ;)

Yes Chaos seems to be something they are attracted to....ever notice how the more you swat at an annoying fly it DOES NOT go away??

Dale
6th October 2010, 20:09
I had the joy of being swarmed by some garage beetles this morning on my way to work.

Hopefully the same principle doesn't apply with those critters as does with flies!

Beth
6th October 2010, 20:26
Yes Chaos seems to be something they are attracted to....ever notice how the more you swat at an annoying fly it DOES NOT go away??

UH OH! I must be more chaotic than I thought!! :lol:

Actually I have issues with all bugs, they are all attracted to me. Flies, mosquitos, bees, butterflies, moths, etc. John likes to have a laugh cuz sometimes when I'm outside, I'm just running around trying to get away from some sort of bug.

Zook
6th October 2010, 20:29
Hi Elandiel,

Perhaps disharmony upsets flies. Unites them. Frightens them into congregation. That sorta thing.

You know what they don't say, or at least not enough by my accounting: Zebras find the herd when lions are on the turf.

Or maybe it's as simple as misery likes company and anxiety loves it!

Zook
6th October 2010, 20:43
Hi Beth,

UH OH! I must be more chaotic than I thought!! :lol:

Actually I have issues with all bugs, they are all attracted to me. Flies, mosquitos, bees, butterflies, moths, etc. John likes to have a laugh cuz sometimes when I'm outside, I'm just running around trying to get away from some sort of bug.

My issues are with hugs. They are all attracted to me. Squeezes, arm-wraps, blind-side kisses, side-winding misses, tugs, shoulder-leans. I'm just constantly running into half-nelson grips of my snot-dripping soon-to-be-4-year-old monkey relation that my sister and brother in legal course keep mistaking for a sweet human child.

heyokah
6th October 2010, 21:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j1KGHOvSkM

Beth
6th October 2010, 21:14
Hi Beth,

My issues are with hugs. They are all attracted to me. Squeezes, arm-wraps, blind-side kisses, side-winding misses, tugs, shoulder-leans. I'm just constantly running into half-nelson grips of my snot-dripping soon-to-be-4-year-old monkey relation that my sister and brother in legal course keep mistaking for a sweet human child.

LOL, cute!! :D

Hiram
6th October 2010, 21:36
Funny enough, flies, gnats, and such do not annoy me. Their presence doesn't even annoy me.

They are brilliant little creatures if you watch them--perfectly adapted to what they do, the little pentagonal circles they fly in a holding pattern in a room, foraging and searching for little particles of smell that might be interesting.

One more instrument through which God experiences this reality.

Yes, god is sitting on top of a pile of Dog excrement in your front yard chowing down. Apparently thats an experience that is desired by the fly....and therefore desired by first source as well.

Their compound eyes are unbelievably complex, little rainbows within each lens. How do they learn to fly such acrobatics?? They just seem to know how........

They don't annoy me...but I've killed them before and will probably kill them again. I am a large creature that sometimes kills smaller ones. Somehow that is a part of this reality and seems unavoidable. A large creature that never feels good doing it.

I always say to myself...."By the same power which slays you little one...I too am slain, and I too shall be consumed."

Ahhh, such is life.

HORIZONS
6th October 2010, 22:14

Some of you in the chat know that there's been a war waged in my house this summer. Due to our new composting project there has been increased fly activity and population. There are these small, annoying, little flies that have been getting in my house. I tried to speak to them rationally, told them I have a whole acre and a half for them to live. Asked them to leave and to not touch me. They did not comply.

While sleeping, they thought it was funny to land on my face, and took off as I go to shoo them. They like to repeat every ten minutes so I could not get back to REM state. I could hear them laughing at me.

So I decided to wage war, and told them so. I do hate killing anything, but was left with no choice as sleep is very important to me, as is my personal space. So next to my favorite back scratcher, was my fly swatter. I vowed to win each and every battle. Seems like the war is coming to an end, but that's probably because it's fall now :tongue1:

We have the same war! Out here in the country, on a farm, we have LOTS of flies - of all sizes - really small ones, small ones, medium ones and big ones. The smaller ones love to hang around the kitchen and get into everything, even while you are eating, so be careful you just might eat a fly or two for lunch. The best weapon in my armament is Fly Strips - they do not look so great hanging around the house, but they catch the flies.

Just before it rains the flies will congregate in the porch and other covered areas, and they will also search out warm air when it begins to cool off.

bluestflame
6th October 2010, 22:37
they are programmed that way so they can be ready for the cleanup

Strat
7th October 2010, 03:31

What you may want to try doing is a strange trick I saw at my friends house. He taped baggies of water around the corners of his patio to try and keep the bugs away. Amazingly, it seems to be effective. Supposedly it's specifically for flies. Just take little sandwich baggies, fill them up with water, then tape them in the corners of the room/where ever you want to keep them away. Try googling this for more info.

sjkted
7th October 2010, 04:26
I suppose it depends on the type of flies you have. I've had fruit flies before and had great success by putting a decent sized piece of fruit in a box and letting them congregate. After a while, the lid goes on the box and they get dumped outside and the process is repeated. It's pretty effective if you can lure them like this and has the obvious benefit of not having to kill any of them.

--sjkted

Ki's
7th October 2010, 06:31
I raised my family on a farm. We had livestock and flies were an ongoing battle. My middle daughter always encouraged a house spider to set up residence in her room. Once the web was built, she would put a dead fly in the web to serve as a deterrent. (she's always been an odd child) I can't say for sure that it was the spider, but she never had flies in her room.
She swears by it to this day...so I guess I can't argue with success.

Project_Buggy_Beach
7th October 2010, 07:06
Iíve had similar experiences with insects, even swarming on a door before tremendous changes took place on a personal level, its not always exclusively flies. Iíve often wondered with the billions of insects we know of have we studied them all with the attention we should, maybe theyíve developed ways of time travelling as survival skills and other interesting energy patterns worth experimenting with.

frank samuel
7th October 2010, 07:21
Here in PR making aluminum screens for your windows is a booming business as no one can keep nature away from your house and garden, so a few screens on the windows keeps the flies out that is unless you open your screen door and let them in which for me what bothers me the most is the annoying mosquitoes which bite you and zoom around in your ear, for which I replied you mosquitoes have two choices got out the door or face the wrath of my bug spray.

Happy to say I sleep like a baby thanks to the aluminum screens on my windows and doors.:lazy2:

conk
8th October 2010, 14:31
We have sucessfully used the water/baggie trick Strat. It works.

Richard
11th October 2010, 14:55
I haven't told this story to more than a handful of people close to me as I have no explanation for it.
But if anyone can discern a meaning from it it will likely be someone here. So here goes:

In the fall of 2006 I was working for a local company here and was in my office when I was called upstairs to "check out a problem with flies". Upon my arrival I found a swarm of at least 100 if not more on one window in one room. All other offices and rooms had no flies whatsoever. I proceeded to remove them from the room using a vacuum cleaner. I released the survivors outdoors and to my astonishment there were only one or two that didn't survive the vacuum.
Later that night I received a phone call from the Alarm monitoring company that there was a break in at the office. When I arrived at the offices around 9pm I found that it was intentionally destroyed by a propane bomb. The fire Dept. found 3 cannisters that were used to create the explosion.

Dec 2008, a close friend asks me to come see if I can rid her house of flies as she cant figure out where they were coming from. I went to have a look and found a similar congregation of 100's of flies again on one window. i killed them off using Raid. 24 hours later a electrical fire decimated her terrace and filled her apartment with thick black smoke.

Sept 2010. Same friend as above awakens from a nightmare where she sees a road so completely covered with flies that the pavement isn't visible. She then receives a phone call minutes after awakening that one of her employees went home the previous night and found her bedroom window covered in flies. 3 hours after that phone call her business was put into limbo by the primary financier after he, guided by ego, pulled his support.

In these 3 cases the one window these critters were buzzing around faced due East. what does it mean? no idea but I no longer feel the common house fly is a mindless insect. They are definitely in tune with us somehow.

Samothrace
11th October 2010, 16:48
I guess this is somewhat a fly related story.

It happened back in August. I was up in my room going over a paper for one of my classes when I started hearing a really low sounding voice. I don't know how to describe it other than it seemed lyrical, like a very guttural chant. I searched in and around our house but couldn't find anyone. The voice just seemed follow wherever I went.

There was also a loud metallic bang from somewhere. I found out later that my sister heard the bang that night, but not voice. In the morning I and most everyone in my house woke up to her screams. The first floor of our house was covered in maggots. We got rid of them, but couldn't find their source. They didn't come from our pantry, refrigerator, or garbage disposal. The lot of them moved towards our backdoor in unison.

I tried meditating that night, but it felt like I was covered hundreds of tiny buzzing insects. That was a fun day. It wasn't an omen of some bad event though. At least none that I am aware.

Olam
11th October 2010, 21:51
Hmmm, well I had a recent "gathering"......for 3 days I would wake up in the morning and have maybe 30-40 black flies in the kitchen!
So the first morning, it took me about 15-20 minutes to chase them all out of the house. I thought that was it. Next morning, same thing.......

I finally realized that I had forgotten a small portion of garbage at the bottom of my trash bin. A peice of meat...:rolleyes: and remembered having picked up a small white worm on the floor a few days before.

Now I am amazed at the instinct/intelligence of these worms/flies. They crawled out of the bin, went to the corner of the kitchen where there was a little opening to the subfloor.Got in there as a group and incubated in there till they were flies.
I learned that fresh flies don't like to fly.....they seem to lack the energy.
Anyhow, now Im quite proud to have provided life changing conditions to a whole colony of black flies. I hope they are doing well...:p

Ross
11th October 2010, 22:18
very industrious lil critters...but they do have their place amongst the marvel of nature...:p