PDA

View Full Version : Theory of Light and Dark

Gekko
10th December 2013, 23:08
Recently I've been trying to make some sense of the confusion between "light", "dark", and their true natures. I'm talking about them as psychological archetypes, which may or may not have any scientific or metaphysical truth. It has seemed to me that only a small but potent part of darkness is 'undesirable', but that this isn't even "real" darkness to begin with... rather, something which tries to imitate its cousin and produces artificial extremes. Same thing with "false" light, which could be the other side of the coin.

False light would be things like empty promises, blind righteousness, excessive rules and binds, oversimplification, overbearing. Collectivism as a means of false safety. Suffocating effect.

False dark would be manipulation for the benefit of one at the cost of another, deliberate and non-consensual infliction of emotional or physical suffering, and shame. Traumatic effect.

Both "false" elements would be malevolent, ignorant, and deliberately deceptive in their aims. Distorting understanding of the "true" elements. With the end result of stagnancy or chaos without balance.

True light would be active, constructive, elucidating the surrounding world, rational truth, leading wisely and without being overbearing, tolerant, compassionate, the active side of creativity. Clear communication as a means of functional collectivism. Organizing effect.

True dark would be restoring, intuitive, supportive, non-rational truth, the receptive side of creativity. Mystery as a cradle of meaning and individuality. Endings, death and decay (which are neutral in themselves and simply part of a cycle). Regenerative effect.

Both "true" elements would be fundamentally loving and balancing in nature, existing in harmony.

I made an image to represent what's been tumbling around in my mind.
(The colors are arbitrary and non-associative)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/Paladinz_Gecko/colorwheeloflight2.jpg

I'm not wed to these ideas, just exploring.

What are your thoughts?

PurpleLama
10th December 2013, 23:36

Uh huh, and the false dark just had to be purple.

Gekko
10th December 2013, 23:44
Color wheels, what can I say

raregem
10th December 2013, 23:47

Uh huh, and the false dark just had to be purple.

lol...cute

Gekko- your synopsis is quite simple yet profound for me.

PurpleLama
10th December 2013, 23:53
The profundity of his synopsis is greater than it appears. A pattern throughout the way we can understand things, it is. Not through the way we understand, but the way we can.

The pattern is one readily observable through all ancient and dusty paths to the mountain top, for our friend Gekko to be formulating this to himself and sharing the results, one might guess he has been up to the hard work of meditation, and succeeding where so many slip, skid, and fall.

Gekko
11th December 2013, 00:10
I guess the challenging part would be to find where the boundaries are between these categories, and what the specifics are as applied to everyday life and culture...

Another part of darkness in general is the unknown... and that unknown can be of any nature, true or false. So it seems like it would necessitate the skill of walking and navigating in the dark, when you can't "see" anything...

And then, of course, the categories are ultimately somewhat artificial and limiting themselves. What I presented would be a rational, "light" view of the matter. Assuming it does have validity, it would take some kind of softer, intuitive knowledge/connections to complete the circuit. One that tailors the stray threads.

Thank you PurpleLama. Not a whole lot of meditation, but maybe too much free time, lol

ghostrider
11th December 2013, 00:27
interesting , you need dark , to notice light , you need light to notice dark ... natures balance ...

Bubu
11th December 2013, 01:33
Nature is vibration or pendulum or whatever you may want to call them. It is a cycle of ups and downs; dark and light; baddies and goodies; exhale and inhale; death and birth; hungry and full; tired and fresh; charge and discharge. virtually everything that you can think of. life force is duality. So what could be better than Acceptance. And it is in no way profound its as simple as a common feeble that we trample. People simply try to find truth somewhere deep and hard to reach for that rare gem.

Truth dwells in simplicity while deceit hides in complexity

Carmody
11th December 2013, 03:54
The balance point is the living light, blue and red, fast and slow, ahead and behind, future and history...in the balance point. The now. the living light... Violet. Or purple, if you will..

Freed Fox
11th December 2013, 04:36
Great post Gekko. The only thing which comes to mind for me, in way of modification or critique would be that personally, I don't believe 'false light' is always a deliberately deceptive category. When there is substantial 'unresolved shadow' within, which one does not acknowledge; when individuals attempt to adhere to 'true light' but clearly harbor too much hatred, intolerance, exclusivity, or judgment... I don't believe it is entirely intentional on their part, but they would indeed be a part of the 'false light', IMO.

Gekko
11th December 2013, 05:03
Great post Gekko. The only thing which comes to mind for me, in way of modification or critique would be that personally, I don't believe 'false light' is always a deliberately deceptive category. When there is substantial 'unresolved shadow' within, which one does not acknowledge; when individuals attempt to adhere to 'true light' but clearly harbor too much hatred, intolerance, exclusivity, or judgment... I don't believe it is entirely intentional on their part, but they would indeed be a part of the 'false light', IMO.

Very true. Maybe all 'falsity' could at its core be simple ignorance. In any case I think it's important that we choose to give each other the benefit of the doubt, forgiving mistakes and insults while standing our ground in a way that is inclusive, but firm. I remember hearing something about constructive criticism/discussion, where if there's respect for the other person it's much more healthy and productive than arguments in which there is mutual contempt.

Humility might be a part of that too. Being willing to learn and adjust.

No one's 'perfect' and we're all dealing with something.

Johnny
11th December 2013, 09:53

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/Paladinz_Gecko/colorwheeloflight2.jpg

I'm not wed to these ideas, just exploring.

What are your thoughts?

Hei Gekko.

Try to connect then zero-point with the non-duality, then you maybe are able to see something more, what is called the darklight (it is very very beautiful).

Very true. Maybe all 'falsity' could at its core be simple ignorance. In any case I think it's important that we choose to give each other the benefit of the doubt, forgiving mistakes and insults while standing our ground in a way that is inclusive, but firm. I remember hearing something about constructive criticism/discussion, where if there's respect for the other person it's much more healthy and productive than arguments in which there is mutual contempt.

Humility might be a part of that too. Being willing to learn and adjust.

That would definitely not be a simple ignorance :) I would define simple ignorance as, if you did not know have a simple switch worked. IMO Never underestimate the simple word ignorance :)

No one's 'perfect' and we're all dealing with something.

HMM !! According to the law of course and effect: Everyone and everything is perfect in every given moment :)

It seems as you are hunting for clarity and knowledge, I like that.

Have at good hunting :)

Much love Johnny

Shezbeth
12th December 2013, 02:57
Your diagram is not bad, and is similar to one I envisioned and am using as my avatar.