PDA

View Full Version : Russell Brand's "Messiah Complex"

Camilo
16th December 2013, 22:56
Funny and brilliant...

http://youtu.be/4NIJbj92QEM

Published on Nov 27, 2013

If you didn't see it live or, like myself, you saw it and want a reminder, here's Russell's latest show "Messiah Complex" in full. Plenty to think about here: who are our heroes, why are they our heroes, should they be, how are they represented, have we chosen them for ourselves or have they been chosen for us...
He touches on a number of issues pertaining to modern culture, politically, economically, environmentally, etc. Also, it's quite funny.

Libico
17th December 2013, 06:35
Saw him when visiting NYC - I really enjoyed the show and his take on things I haven't watched the above link but if it is anything reminiscent of the show we saw, I'd add a disclaimer of it being very vulgar (but very funny nonetheless :))

Cidersomerset
17th December 2013, 11:14
The full video is not available in the UK.....

Strong sexual content and innuendo...

YcVpKXoJ-PA

========================================

http://static.guim.co.uk/static/5472a8bcdbd26dd1ad6df21d7c5f7c5e9c1795c2/common/images/logos/the-guardian/culture.gif

Russell Brand banned from Guantánamo Bay

According to Shaker Aamer, the British comedian's memoirs have fallen foul of the
censors at Camp Delta. But I fail to see the funny side

• Russell Brand: we deserve more from our democratic system

Richard Lea

theguardian.com, Thursday 12 December 2013 14.52 GMT

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Books/Pix/pictures/2013/12/12/1386857565483/A-prisoner-reads-a-book-i-009.jpg

A prisoner reads a book in Camp Delta, Guantánamo Bay
Captivating read ... an unnamed prisoner with a library book in Camp Delta,
Guantánamo Bay. Photograph: John Moore/Getty Images

I guess it's funny. Funny the US government is so keen to look after Shaker
Aamer's wellbeing that despite judging him one of the "most dangerous, best-
trained, vicious killers on the face of the earth", they're worried he won't be able to
handle a bit of swearing. At least, according to Aamer, that's the reason censors
have stopped him reading the second volume of Russell Brand's memoirs, Booky
Wook 2.

Writing in the New Statesman he explains that almost 12 years into his detention
without charge at the prison camp in Guantánamo Bay, he's been trying to work
out what gets the camp's censors hot under the collar. His lawyer, Clive Stafford
Smith, drops off a few books every three months or so, but it's still "difficult to
identify any consistent or logical basis for the censorship". Nineteen Eighty-Four is
apparently fine. Gulag Archipelago is not.

On his most recent visit in October, Clive gave me a list of the titles he had dropped
off for me, so I could let him know later what had been banned by what I prefer to
call the Guantánamo Ministry of Information. One was Booky Wook Two by Russell
Brand. I understand that Brand uses too many rude words. I suppose you have to
be amused by that: the US military is solicitous of my sensitive nature, and wants
to protect me from swearing. These are the same people who say that all of us at
Guantanamo are dedicated terrorists.

I suppose it's funny that while David Copperfield is a hit with prisoners, Tom
Bingham's The Rule of Law didn't make it through – Aamer quips that the former
law lord's book would clearly be "inconsistent" with the values of a detention camp
where the rule of law is suspended. Maybe it's amusing that Alan Dershowitz's
Blasphemy: How the Religious Right is Hijacking Our Declaration of Independence
was hijacked, or that Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment found itself under
lock and key.

Read More...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2013/dec/12/russell-brand-banned-guantanamo-bay

Realeyes
17th December 2013, 11:39
Cidersomerset I have noticed a trend occurring over the last year or so that the moment a link is put up on PA, curiously within hours it is blocked for UK viewers. A sad sign of the times.........one has to download quick, or else it is missed for us Brits.

Christine
17th December 2013, 11:48
Logging in from Ecuador and video not available here either… darn!

mosquito
17th December 2013, 11:53
Here you go folks, a link to the show from "censored" China, allowing you to see a show that the "free and democratic" UK government doesn't approve of !!!! :wizard:

http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/120478231-1838958953.html

Enjoy !!!

Cidersomerset
17th December 2013, 13:32
Russell Brand does "Lady Time" With Greg James

JDNFfr-bXBE

Published on 5 Dec 2013

Watch Russell give advice in ladies in need.

Cidersomerset
17th December 2013, 13:43
This is very amusing...LOL

Russell Brand - Best Interview Ever (Craig Ferguson 2013)

tGCSC_QYZLU

Published on 22 Nov 2013

Russell Brand joins Craig Ferguson on CBS's The Late, Late Show for
what many consider to be the greatest TV interview ever.

Cidersomerset
17th December 2013, 13:51
I have posted this one before and shows where Russell is between his 'zany' & 'spiritual' self. I just watched again and its very good.....

Full Length - Mind Shift: Enlightening Our Global Culture w/ Russell Brand & Eve Ensler

6PYpHFwcITI

Published on 7 Nov 2013

http://bit.ly/1aHYl9P
We are facing a unique crisis as our renewed vigor for attaining enlightenment clashes
with our materialist based economy and fear-based politics. Is there a way we can
reconcile our current systems with the new spiritual paradigms? If not, how can we
reform them? Daniel Pinchbeck explores the cultural benefits of enlightenment with
comedian Russell Brand and playwright Eve Ensler in this interview - Russell Brand
offers his insightful perspectives on spirituality, economics and politics without
abandoning his unique zeal and sense of humor. It is an entertaining and informative
account on the profound benefits of individual enlightenment.

Camilo
17th December 2013, 15:55
Saw him when visiting NYC - I really enjoyed the show and his take on things I haven't watched the above link but if it is anything reminiscent of the show we saw, I'd add a disclaimer of it being very vulgar (but very funny nonetheless :))

It's controversial, but the point here is about being aware and awake, and what we choose as reality for ourselves.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Cidersomerset I have noticed a trend occurring over the last year or so that the moment a link is put up on PA, curiously within hours it is blocked for UK viewers. A sad sign of the times.........one has to download quick, or else it is missed for us Brits.

Perhaps it's due to the fact the he comes down on the queen, the PM, the msm and all the traditional institutions in the UK and says it as it is, and of course, they don`t like it.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Logging in from Ecuador and video not available here either… darn!

Bummer!!!....

johnf
17th December 2013, 17:47
My enthusiasm for what Russell is doing has waned over the last few months.
I realize the ideas he is presenting are very new for a lot of people out there,
but I can't help but feel that he is marginalizing everything he is presenting.

It is especially frustrating when he seems to switch from some insight about something like the fabrications in the official story of Jesus, then segue's into potty language midstream, so to speak.
The story of Constantine, and his contributions to the bible, and therefore the worlds false indoctrinations into spirituality as worship of the current ruler is some pretty important stuff.
I would really like to see an interveiwer pull off a serious chat with him some day, and either draw him out for a while on one subject, or call him on his insincerity.

Still funny, and there are still some important points coming through on the very important topic of iconicism.

jf

Shezbeth
18th December 2013, 13:20
Greatly entertaining. Thank you for sharing the link, I had hoped to see the show at some point.

At the end though, I found myself thinking:

"Oh he didn't! That sonofabitch is gonna try and shoot the moon!" (proverbially)

Let me know if anyone wants to discuss the metaphysics of his performance, cuz unless I missed my guess there are significant consequences to his perceivable agenda.

Edit: I now recognize two possibilities. In either case, Russel Brand is a significant player (cosmically) deserving of great respect. Whether he's playing for the 'home team' (second coming) or the 'away team' (anti-christ) is irrelevant. I can see that he will change the game regardless.

Oh yes (IMO), the ending was a direct reference to the book of revelations. What, you think that was an accident?

Akasha
18th December 2013, 16:38
To all those unable to watch on youtube, you could get the torrent here (http://thepiratebay.gy/torrent/9253624/Russell.Brand.Live.2013.Messiah.Complex.DVDRip.x264-HAGGiS). Be warned though, there are sleazy (but censored) adverts on the right of the torrent download screen.