PDA

View Full Version : 'First you dictate, then we vomit' - wrote a student to her teacher

Limor Wolf
22nd December 2013, 16:54
Michal Zoller, a senior in an Israeli high school, went to a test in literature but in the hour and a half given to her she wrote a detailed and reasoned text to her teacher against the education system: "What happens in school is not learning, but dictation, Coercion and disappointment"

http://images1.ynet.co.il/PicServer3/2013/12/21/5051026/50510210992283183103no.jpg

In the long letter Michal wrote to her teacher, she articulately explained why she decided to take this unusual step, what she thought of the teaching methods which included these tests and what she thinks about the education system in Israel in general.

"I'm not going to do this test, but I am going to write to you why, and I have an hour and a half to do this, "wrote Zoller to her teacher." First of all, I do not wish you to take my act as something personal, this is not aimed against you, but against the teaching method and the general education system in the country. "

Zoller admitted that the real reason she did not take the examination in literature lies in the fact that she is unable to memorize such a large mass of material. She later presented to the teacher a series of questions that began like this: "Why should I be tested the same identical tests to those of my friends if I myself am someone identical to my classmates in only a few little things? Perhaps the study of literature is now unnecessary, or maybe the way we study literature must change and adapt itself to the present?"

The second question has touched the efficiency of studying literature which includes endless dictations: "I know these are constraints bound by the ministry of education, I really believe that if you had more hours to teach, you would have inspired in us the passion for literature, the desire to understand and analyze the writer's soul. but there is no sufficient time, and only very structured material to cover for the exam, we are not allowed to deviate from the material even a little because we do not have time, and we are shouting at noisy students because we do not have time, and teachers will not find any interest in the personal lives of their students because it is not their job. The job is to cover the material ".

Further on Zoller is undermining the very definition of "learning" in relations to what happens within the school: "I would not use this term in regards to what happens in schools. I would define it as dictation, as placing a too rigid frame, expecting panctuality and as a disappointment and coercion. I feel that I am being dictated by the school system on how, what, and when I am suppose to think. Isn't the mere definition of 'study' is to give some free space for thinking? to give reasons for how things really operate, so that we can truly understand it instead of regurgitate the material?

"What is happening today is we are being fed material by the teachers and then vomiting it back two months later during test. Please don't get me wrong, I think that school is an important phase in every person's life, socialy and intellectualy, but over time the school system has become quite tasteless, and is operating without any understanding of the need for real learning. "

Towards the end of her letter Zoller wrote: "I feel like the stuff that I am learning is completely unnecessary. I do not feel that I have or will have any use with the current information I am studying in literature. Every student is a person and each person have their own interests. and whether I'm interested in the arts or in aviation, I should be given the right to know. I feel snubbed by the teachers and by the school system. It is about me being a person and not a score. Being a person and not a statistic. Being a person who wants to know and not necessarily is interested in the conventions of the 'Gener of tragedy'. "

Following her unusual letter, Zoller's literature teacher has summoned her to discuss the talked about issues, the later did not come out of it very encouraged. "The bottom line is that she said that I don't have the ability to change things," Zoller told the newspaper.
"My complaints are not about her, but relates to the entire education system, and when I wrote about the subject of literature, I actually meant for all subjects. I will go through the final exams this year and then I will go my separate way, but I would really like to see something's change, If not for me then for everyone else who are in the system."

ghostrider
22nd December 2013, 17:46
School is more about following a program than learning , to me memorizing information is not learning ... you could learn all you need by working on a farm for a couple of years , then go to school and you will apply yourself with wreckless abandon as not to ever be put back to work on the farm ...

spiritguide
22nd December 2013, 17:56
As stated free thinkers are not encouraged in many school systems, so much so that even universities operate the same way. It's so bad that students are even lied to about the subjects they are trying to learn. History is being re written through deception. IMHO

Peace!

Limor Wolf
22nd December 2013, 19:17
Ghostrider and Spiritguide, I agree. free thinking contradicts programming, therefore it is not encouraged in this pre-planned system.

In the mean time, a Surprising response (whether you believe it or not is up to you) was received today from the Israeli Minister of Education who heard about the student's letter, he picked up the phone and called her :"I understand you, and am aware to the problems"

"Because of you and because of other students I wanted to be a Minister Of Education," wrote the Minister Shay Piron on his Facebook page referring to Michal Zoller, a twelfth grade student who chose to 'flood' the problems of the education system in place of answering the test questions in literature. The minister Piron Called Zoller today (sunday) and asked to meet with her following the publication on the news about the step she chose to take.

As stated, Zoller took the literature exam last week and in the hour and a half allotted to her and to her friends, she wrote fluently - but not so much the answers to the questions. Instead, she wrote to her teacher a long, articulate, detailed and reasoned letter which explained why she decided to take the unusual step, what she thought of the teaching methods which includes these tests and what she thinks about the education system in Israel and beyond.

Minister Piron respond to the student that he can understand and identify with what she is saying, he is aware of the problems currently existing in education and that this is the right time to lead a change. The Minister even dedicate to Zoller a status on his Facebook page in which he wrote: "Just for you and for the other students I wanted to be Minstery of Education. It is time to change, to give meaning to learning, to transform it from a memorization type of learning to a one that reaches the hearts and the souls of the students'.

Piron wrote that "literature studies are a marvelous opportunity to work on developing and shaping integrity and identity, dealing with emotions, defining love and devotion, engaging our beloved homeland, our roots and the complex relationships inside the family. We can not continue the way we did so far, it fitted at the time, but now we should learn differently."

The Minister continued in his personal appeal to Zoller: "for you and for the young students we will change learning. It will start soon, very soon, but it will take a long time. All of us, students and teachers, will have to get used to meaningful learning, such that will make the learning process relevant and touching, one that can deal with the challenges of the 21st century, one that will propel us to take responsibility for our society. "

His finishing words to the student : "Thank you Michal. Thank you for reminding us once again how important is for learning to be creative. How much you desire, wish and dream to learn in a different manner."

Zoller, very surprised by the phone call, told the newspaper: "I'm obviously happy to meet with the Minister. I did not expect to get responses like that, but I'm very happy because it means that my letter has moved something. I also got warm responses at school and encouragment both from the students and the teachers ".

And here is the student herself :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLJTndzT6_Y

Robin
22nd December 2013, 20:00
Thank you for sharing this, Limor.

I myself have obtained a college degree in biology, kicking and screaming the entire way. The entire time that I devoted to studying, I was filled with annoyance, regret, and frustration. This woman makes many great points that I've tried to express to my professors...to no avail. If we all have different brain chemistry, then why should we be required to learn the same way?

I am not a good memorizer either, which is indicative of all my low test scores. But I was able to get where I am now because of my exorbitant passion, experience, and perseverence. To me, this is really what matters. Also, I have always known subconsciously that what I was being forced to learn and memorize was not wholely correct. Science is just as capable of being manipulated or misguided as anything else.

Since I've obtained my degree...I have traded in all of my text books for books linking science and spirituality. This is what should be taught to everybody at an early age.

It is all wrong. I have seen so many bright individuals enter the field of science, only to drop out because it was too difficult. Then I see them enter in man-made fields like accounting, which to me bears no great significance for humanity. Everybody deserves to be a scientist if they want to...and humanity would be far better off if it were more science-literate.

But I'm just rambling. Now I'm stuck deep in a hole of student loans, debted to a tyrannical government. If I knew what I know now, I never would have gone down the path of joining the societal education system set up by Mother Culture. But hey...some things are meant to be.

DeDukshyn
22nd December 2013, 20:36
Ah she's an artist! ... of course. ;)

Kimberley
22nd December 2013, 21:30
The best part of this story is about Minister Shay Piron contacting her...wow! Like I always say we are heading in an up ward direction, thank goodness.

My daughters do not know what they want to pursue in life yet, they have not found their passion yet. I advised them for years that they did not "need" to go to college until they knew what they wanted to be. However they are both going to college because they were taught that was best according to the school system and society.

I was a fortunate one. I knew what I wanted to be the summer before my senior year in high school. I wanted to work in the radio biz. I will say that my first year of college was key for me in learning what I needed to know to get started in the radio biz, but I also learned that lots of people got into the radio biz by just hanging out at stations.

Anyway I got my first paying radio job after my first year in college in 1977. But I continued on from there going to college part time and paying for it all. It took me 8 years to get my degree and left me with thousands of dollars of debt. I could have bought a house with that money.

The degree did nothing for my betterment in the biz. My betterment was all done from personal experience.

College is a big business it is not so much about education or learning. I just learned that a lot of private college presidents earn 2 million dollars a year and more.

Why do you need to take more math science and history and such if you want to focus on (as per my example) radio. I did not need to pay for that. But I had to to get the degree.

Not sure why I just took the time to write this and I could say a lot of other things...I guess I just wanted to add to this thread because education/learning really needs to change and I am glad to see that change is happening.

Much love!

Robin
22nd December 2013, 21:51
College really has become a tool to separate and put labels on people, just like religion. It is very dangerous when a society gets too specialized and starts taking on labels. I think specialization in areas is a good thing, but everyboody should be somewhat talented and trained in many areas as well. How can an artist and scientist collaborate and communciate with one another if neither knows about what the other does?

In addition, college is a good way for kids to escape the hometown they were born in so they can go out in the world and find their place in society. This was the case for me and countless other people. College for me was my savior...because it was literally my ticket to escape the trap that my family got stuck in living in the city. If I knew there were other options when I was 17 years old, like starting an organic farm, then I would have done that! But I didn't know any better, and I was stuck in a place where nobody even fathomed that there was another way of life...away from society. We can get out of the system.

And I really had good intentions with my decision to get a degree. All I wanted to do--and still want to do--is to lend my scientific and creative perspectives into conservation and helping humanity. I don't want money. I'd do it all for free, because creating a better world for humans and all other organisms is the only thing that matters.

And school is really good at singling out those who cannot keep up with their peers. This is when the military comes in, offers the singled out (often labeled as dumb and inadequate) a promising career where they will have money, respect, and payed tuition after service. This is a big trap...because once you get in the military you basically sign your life away to a never-ending war and threats of destroying your life if you leave service.

Yes, the education system is so heavily controlled. Only those who are willing to advance without questioning things will be rewarded. Those who think outside-the-box and challenge the system are victimized and labeled as apathetic or less intelligent.

Mike Rowe, a man I respect for his humanitarian work in promoting changing the way we think of jobs, gives a good take on these subjects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKzu86Agg0&feature=player_embedded

RunningDeer
22nd December 2013, 22:02
Hope you are okay with this here, Limor. It's happening to all of our kids around the world. No free thinkers allowed. Just writing that last sentences makes me claustrophobic.

Arkansas Mother Obliterates Common Core in 4 Minutes!

Common Core is an attempt to nationalize the curriculum methods and the teaching methods to set all of that power in Washington.

Common Core: What's in It for Bill Gates? Why has Bill Gates spent millions of dollars to develop, promote, and fund the establishment of Common Core standards and testing in U.S. public schools? (See article below post #329 (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?61182-The-Network-Hub&p=775168&viewfull=1#post775168))

Karen Lamoreaux, testified that rather than “a set of rigorous, college-ready international benchmark standards” that the Common Core initiative was touted to be, it tends to dumb down math solutions by, ironically, overcomplicating them.

As an example, she gave the board a simple fourth-grade division problem, which Common Core requires students to use 108 steps to solve.

wZEGijN_8R0

Published on Dec 16, 2013

Karen Lamoreaux - Arkansas State Board of Ed - 12/16
Learn more about Common Core on our website: http://www.arkansasagainstcommoncore.com

Mom Destroys Common Core in 4 Minutes

An ordinary mother of three eviscerated Common Core state standards in her powerful four-minute testimony before the Arkansas Board of Education Monday.

Blk5x9kaXis
Published on Dec 21, 2013

ceetee9
22nd December 2013, 22:41
School systems in general, at least in the US, are not designed to encourage real creativity, open mindedness, or critical thinking. They are designed to turn out good little automatons with only the "knowledge" the powers-that-be want you to believe and the "expertise" they need you to have to run their corporations and organizations making just enough money to keep you perpetually enslaved trying to make a living. Questioning their motives or anything outside of the box they have built for you will likely cause you to be labeled a malcontent, rabble-rouser, subversive, or worse and land you on one or more "watch" lists.

Of course there are exceptions; like psychopaths who may be culled from the masses and put on the fast track to becoming a leader in government or one or more of their larger organizations. :playball:

RunningDeer
22nd December 2013, 22:44
These books helped me understand strengths and weakness: “7 Kinds of Smart,” by: Thomas Armstrong & “Emotional Intelligence,” by: Daniel Goleman.

This book is new to me. It overlaps with the material above: "The Nine Types of Intelligence (http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Projects/The%20Nine%20Types%20of%20Intelligence.htm)," by Howard Gardner

1. Naturalist Intelligence (“Nature Smart”)

Designates the human ability to discriminate among living things (plants, animals) as well as sensitivity to other features of the natural world (clouds, rock configurations).  This ability was clearly of value in our evolutionary past as hunters, gatherers, and farmers; it continues to be central in such roles as botanist or chef.  It is also speculated that much of our consumer society exploits the naturalist intelligences, which can be mobilized in the discrimination among cars, sneakers, kinds of makeup, and the like. 

2. Musical Intelligence (“Musical Smart”)

Musical intelligence is the capacity to discern pitch, rhythm, timbre, and tone.  This intelligence enables us to recognize, create, reproduce, and reflect on music, as demonstrated by composers, conductors, musicians, vocalist, and sensitive listeners.  Interestingly, there is often an affective connection between music and the emotions; and mathematical and musical intelligences may share common thinking processes.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence are usually singing or drumming to themselves.  They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss.

3. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (Number/Reasoning Smart)

Logical-mathematical intelligence is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations.  It enables us to perceive relationships and connections and to use abstract, symbolic thought; sequential reasoning skills; and inductive and deductive thinking patterns.  Logical intelligence is usually well developed in mathematicians, scientists, and detectives.  Young adults with lots of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories, and relationships.  They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.

4. Existential Intelligence

Sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence, such as the meaning of life, why do we die, and how did we get here.

5. Interpersonal Intelligence (People Smart”)

Interpersonal intelligence is the ability to understand and interact effectively with others.  It involves effective verbal and nonverbal communication, the ability to note distinctions among others, sensitivity to the moods and temperaments of others, and the ability to entertain multiple perspectives.  Teachers, social workers, actors, and politicians all exhibit interpersonal intelligence.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence are leaders among their peers, are good at communicating, and seem to understand others’ feelings and motives.

6. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”)

Bodily kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills.  This intelligence also involves a sense of timing and the perfection of skills through mind–body union.  Athletes, dancers, surgeons, and craftspeople exhibit well-developed bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

7. Linguistic Intelligence (Word Smart)

Linguistic intelligence is the ability to think in words and to use language to express and appreciate complex meanings.  Linguistic intelligence allows us to understand the order and meaning of words and to apply meta-linguistic skills to reflect on our use of language.  Linguistic intelligence is the most widely shared human competence and is evident in poets, novelists, journalists, and effective public speakers.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.

8. Intra-personal Intelligence (Self Smart”)

Intra-personal intelligence is the capacity to understand oneself and one’s thoughts and feelings, and to use such knowledge in planning and directioning one’s life.  Intra-personal intelligence involves not only an appreciation of the self, but also of the human condition.  It is evident in psychologist, spiritual leaders, and philosophers.  These young adults may be shy.  They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

9. Spatial Intelligence (“Picture Smart”)

Spatial intelligence is the ability to think in three dimensions.  Core capacities include mental imagery, spatial reasoning, image manipulation, graphic and artistic skills, and an active imagination.  Sailors, pilots, sculptors, painters, and architects all exhibit spatial intelligence.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing or daydreaming.

From: Overview of the Multiple Intelligences Theory.  Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development and Thomas Armstrong.com

Robin
22nd December 2013, 23:04
^^^Thanks Paula! I've actually read this before.

Everybody is so caught up labeling Albert Einstein and Nikola Tesla as genuises, when really they were just geniuses of a rare type of brain specialization.

Everybody can be an Einstein or Tesla. As soon as we start spitting out the label "genius" we are admitting that superiority exists in our paradigm, and that we are just lowly normal people who do not have as much power or talents. This is quite a demoralizing thing and further separates people. People also claim that Steve Jobs was a genius...who in my mind was an intelligent guy who used his talents and energy into sponsoring materialism...hardly worth idolizing!

In reality, everybody has the capability to be a genius. Einstein was able to achieve what he achieved because he dedicated his time and energy into a very specific area...perhaps with the help of ETs? What about the "geniuses" we never really think about like E.O. Wilson (Nature genius), Mozart (Musical genius), Immanuel Kant (Existential genius), etc. etc.?

spiritguide
23rd December 2013, 03:09
Real education is allowing everyone to perceive outside the box, in any way that is comfortable for the individual. Seek and ye shall find. The education system is corrupt as it is made to control vs. allow learning. Specialization is another control factor for it compartmentalizes communications and is a form of dumb down deceit. Thinking for oneself is the only way to resist the control being imposed upon us and our children and grandchildren. IMHO

Peace!

StandingWave
23rd December 2013, 04:31
Daniel Quinn, author of 'Ishmael' has some pertinent things to say about 'schooling': Schooling: The Hidden Agenda (http://ishmael.org/Education/Writings/unschooling.shtml)

gripreaper
23rd December 2013, 04:52
Teach your children how to ask critical questions, and how to find the answers themselves. In this day and age, with all information at our fingertips, who needs school? I always answered my children's question with a question, and when they answered my question, I would ask another until they walked right into what they needed on their own.

This is the greatest gift any parent can give. Teach them to love reading, and teach them to think.

grannyfranny100
25th December 2013, 19:54
I am glad that more and more kids are doing this along with the speeches some class valedictorians give which make it into the media. The rumblings are beginning to surface for changes in our educational system. It is coming up for public comment and thoughtful discussion.

Now is the time and a chance for everyone to participate in creating our vision for the future locally. We are creating too many robots who must just regurgitate facts on computerized tests. The USA is ready for more critical thinking skill development and creative expression! Rah, rah!

Educate yourself about Common Core https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXf91AGW2QA.