PDA

View Full Version : Neuro and Psychological answer to Paranormality

Adi
22nd December 2013, 18:51
Hello there,

Recently I have been reading and studying into areas of psychology and abnormal psychology with some neuroscience and trying to understand the neuro-biochemistry, (brain chemicals aspect), of the way humans behave and how the brain process's and reacts to the external world, trough the means of cognitive perception and chemical process.

All very scientific and slightly complex I know, but I'm looking at this material trough an open mind with no agenda to rebuke or discredit anything, I am simply looking as to what it has to say about consciousness and perception, and trying to listen to both sides of the story, if you will, as I have previously read quite extensively into the spiritual and soul essence of consciousness, and feel that it has given me an incredible outlook on life and the soul.

From what I have read though about psychology and neuroscience's explanation of our consciousness and perception of our external world, and its research into how our brains process and function to create the world we see around us, is quite interesting and contains highly developed theories and explanations with the ability to back up there research with experimentation ect.

But if I could conclude what there, sciences, end point and stance is on the explanation of the paranormal occurrences, witch interestingly, an increasing amount of people have and are currently to this day are having and experiencing on this planet and the, out of body experiences, the near death experience, UFO sightings and conspiracy beliefs ect ect, is that these experiences or episodes as the name has been used, is simply an internal malformative perception or abnormal perception or what has been summed up as an hallucinatory process or delusional formative thinking and belief, that has no natural or real element to it in the external world. Quite critical of an explanation I know, but this is what scientists say to explain what people have experienced in relation to these things and so on.

One researcher who has written quite extensively about hallucination is Professor Oliver Sacks, author and Neurologist at the New York state university.
Sacks states that " hallucinations are defined as percepts arising in the absence of any external reality-seeing things or hearing things that are not there." (oliver sacks, Hallucinations, page i X,)

The point of this is that, I believe it is very important, and responsible, to consider all possibilities and considerations into areas of seeing un-worldly things or say apparitions, ET's materializing right in front of you or UFO craft and really just bizarre and unexplainable occurrences, for witch seems totally real in the moment and that feels as real as you, but witch may only be an internal mental deficit if you will, an hallucination act. I completely understand that it is so easy for one to have there experience labeled an hallucination or a delusion of mind caused by a glitch in this incredible biological specimen that is known as the brain. I for one have always been quick to disagree with those who say that it was an hallucination that the person had or they are suffering with some sort of paranoid delusional thought process ect. But I do feel that it is the right thing to, to look and listen to what psychology and brian science has to say for these happenings.

I would be very much interested into what people here on Project Avalon think about the psychological possibility of paranormal experience or bizarre happenings for witch are immediately thought as akin to superstition and un-natural ect.

Adi

Limor Wolf
22nd December 2013, 19:55
Originally posted by Adi: " The point of this is that, I believe it is very important, and responsible, to consider all possibilities and considerations into areas of seeing un-worldly things or say apparitions, ET's materializing right in front of you or UFO craft and really just bizarre and unexplainable occurrences, for witch seems totally real in the moment and that feels as real as you, but witch may only be an internal mental deficit if you will, an hallucination act."

Hi Adi, Some interesting thoughts you have here. How would you explain then the many Military and inteligence personel who have testified on meeting and working with the Et's in military installations? also, what explanation can be given to some shared experiences where multiple people are viewing the same entities etc.

I agree that- 'it is very important, and responsible, to consider all possibilities', but sometimes we also should reach to conclusions :)

"I for one have always been quick to disagree with those who say that it was an hallucination that the person had or they are suffering with some sort of paranoid delusional thought process ect. But I do feel that it is the right thing to, to look and listen to what psychology and brain science has to say for these happenings."

For all we know, mainstream science is extremely limited (and possibly non-existant) in it's understanding of the Paranormal connection to the mind.
By definition, science can not work or relate to anything that can not be measured, counted or be applied to specific principles of reasoning. Paranormality does not answer to those things. Untill science will be able to understand what love is, or at least try to, I will refrain from taking it as a qualified source of information in these areas.

Cheers,

Limor

Shezbeth
22nd December 2013, 20:11
I suggest that mainstream science has the vested interest in maintaining and controlling the mainstream perception of reality.

Mainstream science also thinks highly of man-made global warming.

Jayke
22nd December 2013, 20:18
Look up some of the research by Stanislav Grof, he's been studying paranormal states of consciousness for over 50 years and has a very spiritually grounded perspective on everyday reality and its non-ordinary components.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzG9QsM-Pw

Dr. Grof’s extensive research includes experiential psychotherapy using psychedelics and non-drug techniques, especially the holotropic breathwork (a method he developed with his wife Christina), alternative approaches to psychoses, understanding and treatment of psychospiritual crises (“spiritual emergencies”), the implications of recent developments in quantum-relativistic physics, biology, brain research, and other avenues of the emerging scientific paradigm, for psychiatric theory and consciousness studies.

Among his publications are over 150 papers in professional journals and many books including Beyond the Brain, LSD Psychotherapy, Psychology of the Future, The Cosmic Game, and the newly-released When the Impossible Happens and The Ultimate Journey, as well as many more.

Western science is approaching a paradigm shift of unprecedented proportions, one that will change our concepts of reality and of human nature, bridge the gap between ancient wisdom and modern science, and reconcile the differences between Eastern spirituality and Western pragmatism.
- Stan Grof from Beyond the Brain

http://www.stanislavgrof.com/

Adi
22nd December 2013, 20:44
I suggest that mainstream science has the vested interest in maintaining and controlling the mainstream perception of reality.

Mainstream science also thinks highly of man-made global warming.

Is there any evidence to suggest this. It sounds like what you are saying is that every scientists on the planet is in on some secret to deceive the common man. Thats ridiculous, and an unintelligent answer, cmon.

Adi

Agape
22nd December 2013, 21:46
Hello Adi,

why not start reading here ..http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?66490-The-Illusion-Of-Matter-Our-Physical-Reality-Isn-t-Really-Physical-At-All

it's an excellent topic to continue with your studies .

Another great thread : http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?66525-Quantum-Consciousness

about Quantum Consciousness , posted by Naste.de.lumina,

''This video describes the theory of "Quantum Consciousness and Orchestrated Objective-Reduction" developed by Dr. Stuart Hameroff and Sir Roger Penrose.''

The so-called 'paranormal phenomena' is very out fashioned and misguiding term because it successfully skips every attempt to define what 'normal reality' is except for some kind of commonly approved and accepted average of human perception and experience .

To define state of physical reality or even human psychological reality in such manner,
as if it's 'norms' were based on quotient of accepted average perception of human senses, 'regular' /average functioning of human brain etc . is from any truly scientific point of view quite insufficient .

'Paranormal phenomena' were truly described as such only in comparison to what is considered average human norm of perception.

Science so far struggles in their attempts to 'define consciousness' horizontally - as an interaction between life and matter , and vertical definitions of consciousness are even more difficult for most of the 'old school' materialists . So in turn , phenomena such as 'universal consciousness' , 'cosmic intelligence' , 'other dimensional entities' only serve as hypothetical models of life out of the time-space dimension as known and inhabited by humans that can't be either proved or disproved .

But, lets say 'we are moving across that definition border or nearing it at least' .

From the 'old schools of thought' , both 'pure mentalists' and 'pure materialists' seem to be very limited and fixed on their theories to fit in what's really the relationship of mind and matter so in my opinion,
they're both deluded.