PDA

View Full Version : Box could revolutionise off grid internet access

halffull
27th December 2013, 11:47
Most people have no problem getting on the internet every day for communication or research or sharing LOLcats, but if you live or work in areas that don't have reliable internet access due to lack of basic communications or power infrastructure, that simple access that we take for granted can be quite difficult.

But if this little black box, appropriately named BRCK, gets a boost in funding and development to build it into a field-ready device, that may radically change the way that people off the grid and off the beaten path gain access to the web.

qsJYrwzfd6w

QojdQvikPjw

Rehttp://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/little-black-box-could-revolutionize-offgrid-internet-access.htmlad More at

Billy
27th December 2013, 12:07
I understand having limited internet connection as i live in a very remote area. Although at this time i am in the city staying at my mums house, she does not have internet. I have been using a dongle as my connection for the last couple of years. Very weak and slow.

But yesterday i splashed out and bought a high speed 4G Wifi Device. An Alcatel one touch device. it incorporates 3 providers joined. Battery operated and i can use it anywhere. If no 4G signal is available it drops on to 3G or any one of the three providers. For me it is super fast.

Happy with my new toy. :happy:

Bob
27th December 2013, 19:37
http://www.brck.com/specifications/ funny i been to Africa in the middle of No Where, and there is no cellphone coverage, no 3G, no 4G, all that is there if lucky is satellite coverage if one can get a clear shot of the sky to point a portable dish (at 12,000$ US cost per month for data connection)...

verbatim (including the typos), from their page on specifications - What is BRCK? BRCK makes accessing the internet simple and reliable wherever you are. It’s a rugged, cloud managed, full-featured modem/router with built in fail-overs and programmable GPIO expansion. I’ve there’s a way for you to connect, BRCK will help you do get up and stay up no matter where you are.

there is no mention of what to do when there is no cellphone 3G or 4G service. The simple 3G/4G dongle device that BillyJi mentions works just fine when one is in a cell phone zone provided that the device has been registered with the internet provider. Verizon for instance charges like 50$ a month for 4G data service from their dongle these days, which allows for plug and play internet device connection (smartphones, iPads, computers)...

I don't see what the big deal is as there is no way to connect unless one has either satellite portable earth station for connection (then why bother with the brck), or if one has 3G/4G cellphone service most smartphones allow for becoming a portable "hotspot" data point for one to connect one's iPad, or computer into..

ED NOTE: - i had this link dropped in my inbox today, http://www.freedompop.com/ FREE INTERNET and low cost devices, same thing, if you have cellphone coverage ULTRA-LOW COST or free internet if one just needs to connect briefly.. Point with all these services, is you have to be in a coverage range.. AND that is NOT everywhere, despite BRCK's claims u can connect anywhere..