PDA

View Full Version : Goals and New Year Resolutions for 2014

SilentFeathers
1st January 2014, 22:12
My New Years resolution is to really get serious and figure out how a popcorn seed actually defies the law of logic and explodes when heated into a miraculous and tasty puff wad of munchable bread like food.....

What's your's???????????

DeDukshyn
1st January 2014, 22:29
The retained moisture in the hard structure of the kernel evaporates, builds immense pressure until the kernel explodes, instantly releasing the built up water vapour and basically turning the kernel inside out. At the same time the hot vapour cooks the kernel into a toasty fluffy thing. ;)

Popcorn quality is measured by the moisture content -- it has to be in the right range ;)

There I ruined you resolution -- now you need a new one ;) ;)

I intend to get back into good physical condition this year. :)

Milneman
2nd January 2014, 03:03
To eat more conspiracy theorists...I mean popcorn.

jagman
2nd January 2014, 23:52
I'm going to eat less cheese.

SilentFeathers
3rd January 2014, 13:58
I'm going to eat less cheese.

a solution to those uncontrollable grunts!

Operator
3rd January 2014, 14:39
I intend to get back into good physical condition this year. :)

Yes, time for me to attend to this too.

The difficulty with goals and resolutions is that they are often not defined in a 'SMART' way ...

S = simple
M = measurable
A = acceptable (for everyone)
R = realistic
T = timely

Or like politicians do during elections ... they state WHAT they want to do but (on purpose?)
forget to state HOW and WHEN ... :rolleyes:

SilentFeathers
3rd January 2014, 14:50
Just thinking.....

What did you spend your time doing before the internet came in to your life relating to time you spend now on the internet? Did you watch more TV and live a more private life?

I sometimes think about this and wonder what I'd be doing with my time if I wasn't on the internet surfing etc., or if there actually was no internet or TV what so ever.

In the age of spending a large portion of our time on a daily basis looking at a TV, computer screen, and or a phone screen does seem to be a great and wonderful thing to most of us, but, is it really just an illusion and distraction from the basic essentials of living life itself to a large extent???????

Bob
3rd January 2014, 19:45
Just thinking.....

What did you spend your time doing before the internet came in to your life relating to time you spend now on the internet? Did you watch more TV and live a more private life?

I sometimes think about this and wonder what I'd be doing with my time if I wasn't on the internet surfing etc., or if there actually was no internet or TV what so ever.

In the age of spending a large portion of our time on a daily basis looking at a TV, computer screen, and or a phone screen does seem to be a great and wonderful thing to most of us, but, is it really just an illusion and distraction from the basic essentials of living life itself to a large extent???????

:) I was spending my time participating with the creation of the internet with the BBS (Bulletin Board System). The BreadBoard System was what I was betatesting with Phil Baker and Dave Ebert when all this stuff was being talked about, networking -- weoh, slow dialup took a half a minute to download a page IN black and white at that, yet alone anything with more than text letter graphics for images... ~ * * ~ and DOS was our operating systems... :) And computers were TRS-80's and Commodore's - I even built my own network terminal fed by a stereo audio tape recorder which was the massive TAPE (hard drive equivalent).. Fantastic to have had 500 megabyte hard drive (MEGA BYTE, not giga-byte).. as big as a toaster..

The internet took off with broadband internet providers, part of the incentive, everyone should have "access" to the new "programming medium" was the push/trend.. Ah the good old days of dialup.. (not).. :)

Milneman
3rd January 2014, 21:16
Just thinking.....

:) I was spending my time participating with the creation of the internet with the BBS (Bulletin Board System). The BreadBoard System was what I was betatesting with Phil Baker and Dave Ebert when all this stuff was being talked about, networking -- weoh, slow dialup took a half a minute to download a page IN black and white at that, yet alone anything with more than text letter graphics for images... ~ * * ~ and DOS was our operating systems... :) And computers were TRS-80's and Commodore's - I even built my own network terminal fed by a stereo audio tape recorder which was the massive TAPE (hard drive equivalent).. Fantastic to have had 500 megabyte hard drive (MEGA BYTE, not giga-byte).. as big as a toaster..

The internet took off with broadband internet providers, part of the incentive, everyone should have "access" to the new "programming medium" was the push/trend.. Ah the good old days of dialup.. (not).. :)

mIRC.....oh my. I had a vic20 with a tape-recorder data storage system.

Bob
3rd January 2014, 21:37
[QUOTE=SilentFeathers;779837]Just thinking.....

[I]What did you spend your time doing

[...]

mIRC.....oh my. I had a vic20 with a tape-recorder data storage system.

I remember keying in the bootstrap loader using a bank of toggle switches, binary, hitting "accept" to enter the line, then step and repeat for 100 or so lines, then load the tape.. off we gooooo.... :) before we had a way to store in an eprom, (or eeprom).. ahhh, z80's and 8080's

PurpleLama
3rd January 2014, 21:44
I resolve to be less resolute.

Bob
3rd January 2014, 21:48
addition to my posts above - I resolve to NEVER ever key in code by switches again... "Computer, hello computer, oh how quaint a keyboard..."

http://tollfreemarket.com/storage/Hello.Computer.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1353 079578077

Robin
3rd January 2014, 21:51
Honestly, the only thing that is truly important for me at the beginning of another cycle around the sun is to be a better person. This is all that really matters, because pledging to yourself that you will be a better person will ultimately reach every other facet of your life....and by being a better person to other people you will spread love and light like the sun melts the snow to bring in spring.

Also, I do my best to follow my intuition and curiosity...wherever that may lead. I do plan my daily activities like most people, but I also find it fun to let synchronicities or random events guide my daily activities. Spontaneity can be a good thing as it provides us a way to open our minds to other possibilities. I love nothing more than finding an interesting book that I trip over, and take the time to read it when it is something I would never even think about looking into.

I especially enjoy looking into what my friends are taking up as a hobby to give me further ideas on what I can dedicate my time to. I also find women to be interesting, and I do my best to understand them more, as weird as it sounds, by finding what interests them and why. For instance, I'm thinking about learning how to knit, as it can be quite relaxing and gives me an understanding about the psyche of women. ;)

I also like to find something fascinating about the universe and spend a lot of time pondering the philisophical complexities of it. I spend much of my time in reverie (i.e. doing nothing but sit). More people need to learn how to relax, meditate, and let their minds ease up.

Somtimes I'll take a whole week off to just because I feel like it...so I can do nothing but ponder. Then I might work an 18-hour work day because I also feel like it. I do not like uniformity or rigid schedules...and that's why I like being a biologist.

Yes...spontaneity is a good thing...yes indeed.

bogeyman
3rd January 2014, 21:53
More exercise, less drink, more study, more disclosure.

DeDukshyn
3rd January 2014, 22:49
Just thinking.....

Hehe, I still have my old TRS-80! I was just kid in those days though, started programming early in life. Don't do much of it at all these days ...

I do remember BBSs, Dos, dial-up and "3D tech demos"; even OS/2 ;)

=[Post Update]=

More exercise, less drink, more study, more disclosure.

I'm with you on all four counts ;)

dianna
3rd January 2014, 22:53
I resolved that nothing would upset me ... no point ... and guess what happened today to test me ... my whole kindle library and itunes library got wiped off my ipad today ... what was my reaction? I couldn't care less ... if it gets fixed it does, if not ... whatever ... so I have at least kept one of my resolutions LOL LOL ... I figure in the grand scheme of things ... not a big deal ...

DeDukshyn
4th January 2014, 01:31
I resolved that nothing would upset me ... no point ... and guess what happened today to test me ... my whole kindle library and itunes library got wiped off my ipad today ... what was my reaction? I couldn't care less ... if it gets fixed it does, if not ... whatever ... so I have at least kept one of my resolutions LOL LOL ... I figure in the grand scheme of things ... not a big deal ...

Hehe, the Universe is a testing machine that desires to help you with your commitments. As soon as you make a declaration, the Universe says, "I hear you there, let me help make that true for you ... " Then Wham! A test is given to allow it to be it "True", or solidified by way of action ;) Seen it a hundred times in myself ;)

jagman
6th January 2014, 02:05
Honestly, the only thing that is truly important for me at the beginning of another cycle around the sun is to be a better person. This is all that really matters, because pledging to yourself that you will be a better person will ultimately reach every other facet of your life....and by being a better person to other people you will spread love and light like the sun melts the snow to bring in spring.

Also, I do my best to follow my intuition and curiosity...wherever that may lead. I do plan my daily activities like most people, but I also find it fun to let synchronicities or random events guide my daily activities. Spontaneity can be a good thing as it provides us a way to open our minds to other possibilities. I love nothing more than finding an interesting book that I trip over, and take the time to read it when it is something I would never even think about looking into.

I especially enjoy looking into what my friends are taking up as a hobby to give me further ideas on what I can dedicate my time to. I also find women to be interesting, and I do my best to understand them more, as weird as it sounds, by finding what interests them and why. For instance, I'm thinking about learning how to knit, as it can be quite relaxing and gives me an understanding about the psyche of women. ;)

I also like to find something fascinating about the universe and spend a lot of time pondering the philisophical complexities of it. I spend much of my time in reverie (i.e. doing nothing but sit). More people need to learn how to relax, meditate, and let their minds ease up.

Somtimes I'll take a whole week off to just because I feel like it...so I can do nothing but ponder. Then I might work an 18-hour work day because I also feel like it. I do not like uniformity or rigid schedules...and that's why I like being a biologist.

Yes...spontaneity is a good thing...yes indeed.

I also find women to be interesting, and I do my best to understand them more

That's a nobel quest.
SamwiseThe Brave
Here something you can try the next time you meet a lady you find interesting
Find a reason to go up and introduce yourself and stare at her mouth long enough
for her to catch you staring and then resume eye contact. Then report back lol
seriously try it.