PDA

View Full Version : Threatened with arrest for missing jury duty

Sidney
9th January 2014, 23:29
Are you kidding me????????????????
So right around the time I was dealing with the Meth cooking going on next door to me, I got notification of jury duty. The letter said I would be "ON CALL" from December 9 through the 21st. I thought I would be ON CALL. That I would be called when needed.
Well, I forgot about it, and nobody ever called so I figured, I wasn't needed.

So today, I get this letter stating that I missed it and that I will show up for court, to explain myself, or I will be arrested. AND, if my explanation is not good enough, then I may be arrested anyway.

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME????????

My neighbors got by with cooking meth, and poisoning me, but I am going to serve time for not going to jury duty?????? I am so PO'd right now I can't even believe it.

So,,, I googled it, and people have actually gone to jail for this. OMFG

end rant:doh::frusty:

Sidney
9th January 2014, 23:37
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Juror-controversy-Teacher-arrested-for-missing-jury-duty-205688081.html

http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/05/texas-teacher-jailed-for-missing-jury-duty/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8969828/Student-jailed-for-skipping-jury-service-to-see-West-End-show-Chicago.html

PurpleLama
9th January 2014, 23:39
Yep, when you are "on call", then you have to check in each night to find out if you are supposed to report the following morning.

I say that, but then again, I don't know if you live in the US or not....

Sidney
9th January 2014, 23:45
I had no idea. Plus I was in a fog, from being poisoned in my own home. Seriously, jail time? I guess I should have read the letter more thoroughly. I thought I would be called. I think it is a load of ****

Robin
9th January 2014, 23:51
This truly is unfortunate, and I sincerely hope this will pan out in your favor. The U.S. judicial system is of course unfair and corrupt, and no doubt this should not be a reason to be arrested. How is something like this handled similarily to an act of murder?

Anyway, diction is your best friend here.

When you get a chance, perhaps you could type out the exact content on their letter to you (the first one calling on you for jury duty) word for word. The English language can indeed be misleading and confusing, so I can totally understand if you misinterpreted its content. If you post the letter, perhaps we can parse it out and use etymology and common sense to see if we could prove to them that the letter can be interpreted the way in which you responded to it.

Languages are very constraintive, and no doubt constructed to cause confusion not only amongst people who speak other languages, but also with the different dialects and euphanisms contained in one nation. In the United States, people from all different parts have euphanisms that others do not understand, and every state seems to have its own way of interpreting phrases.

This is your best bet...to prove to them that their diction is misleading and that English is a variable language. If you can post your letter, I will do my best to give you valid arguments.

jagman
10th January 2014, 00:09
Sidney
Just show up for court and be on time. When you get called up to the judge
and he asks you why you werent present for jury duty explain the situation.
Do not become argumentitive with the judge.He will probably just give you
a verbal warning.

Sidney
10th January 2014, 00:23
Sidney
Just show up for court and be on time. When you get called up to the judge
and he asks you why you werent present for jury duty explain the situation.
Do not become argumentitive with the judge.He will probably just give you
a verbal warning.

I will do just that. Bite my tongue and be nice. I am going to tell the court that I had illegal activity going on in my building that was making me ill,(which is the truth), and I have proof with all my phone calls to the police dept still on my phone. The cops were over here about 5 times the week of the receipt of my letter. I told them the fumes were making me sick, of course the neighbors never got busted, but its all on record. With all that occurring, the jury duty thing, disappeared into my fogged up brain. I will offer to do double jury duty if necessary.

spiritguide
10th January 2014, 00:34
Do not offer anything but the truth of the matter and an apology for your not appearing. Good luck.

ghostrider
10th January 2014, 03:35
So much for freedom these days ... I thought a jury of your peers , was a group of people that kinda know you ??? If you don't know the bloke , you aint a peer ... Sydney I hope they just leave you alone , those wankers should focus on criminals instead of honest people who just want to be left alone ... our system is soooo broken , today I heard a convicted cop killer sentenced to death got his death sentence overturned and Obama is appointing this killer to the DOJ ... huh ??? I mean he shot a policeman 12 times at close range and a jury found him quilty , Now he gets a head position at the DOJ ??? somebody make this make sense to me ...

Abhaya
10th January 2014, 03:43
Being a bit if a nomad. I am constantly noshowing jury summons in states where I was planted enough to be a quasi resident. In fact just got a 3rd one in a row in Cali after missing the first two. Not sure what will happen with all that. No jail threats yet though. Best of luck

SEAM
10th January 2014, 14:31
"Your Honor, I never received a letter for jury duty".. Unless it is 1. Certified mail, or 2. Personally handed to you (subpoena), it never arrived.....

Only a hand delivered officer of the court can compel you to be present, otherwise it is the mails fault. I have been sent these a dozen times over the years (the fruits of voter registration) and I throw the envelope out, so I can honestly tell the court "I never received nor read such a letter" (I only received the envelope).

SEAM
10th January 2014, 14:35
A wise person once told me - "Don't complain, Don't explain" in other words, don't pick up the shovel to begin with....

SHAPE
10th January 2014, 15:28
Do not offer anything but the truth of the matter and an apology for your not appearing. Good luck.

Even better file a NOTICE OF MISTAKE and the JUSTICE will see you get home ASAP.

Sidney
10th January 2014, 16:44
"Your Honor, I never received a letter for jury duty".. Unless it is 1. Certified mail, or 2. Personally handed to you (subpoena), it never arrived.....

Only a hand delivered officer of the court can compel you to be present, otherwise it is the mails fault. I have been sent these a dozen times over the years (the fruits of voter registration) and I throw the envelope out, so I can honestly tell the court "I never received nor read such a letter" (I only received the envelope).

It was certified, I signed for it. :/ It used to be, only registered voters got called for jury duty (way back when), I have not registered to vote for over a decade, so I was surprised to even be summoned. I understand its frustrating if nobody shows up, but this should not be considered a crime. PERIOD.. The priorities in this country/world are so screwed up it makes my head spin.

gripreaper
10th January 2014, 17:08
It was certified, I signed for it. :/ That's how they got you. You are a ward of the court by tacit agreement. You "made a mistake" and do not understand. I agree, file that.

SilentFeathers
10th January 2014, 17:49
Are you kidding me????????????????
So right around the time I was dealing with the Meth cooking going on next door to me, I got notification of jury duty. The letter said I would be "ON CALL" from December 9 through the 21st. I thought I would be ON CALL. That I would be called when needed.
Well, I forgot about it, and nobody ever called so I figured, I wasn't needed.

So today, I get this letter stating that I missed it and that I will show up for court, to explain myself, or I will be arrested. AND, if my explanation is not good enough, then I may be arrested anyway.

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME????????

My neighbors got by with cooking meth, and poisoning me, but I am going to serve time for not going to jury duty?????? I am so PO'd right now I can't even believe it.

So,,, I googled it, and people have actually gone to jail for this. OMFG

end rant:doh::frusty:

You basically violated a "Notice to Appear", a court order (read the fine print carefully).

The judge isn't going to care if there was a serial killer skinning people alive next door to you, so rattling off stuff about a meth cooker next door is just going to sound like a cheap excuse to the judge IMO.

In order to not be in "Contempt of Court" for not appearing, you will have to convince the judge that your actions were not "willful". Just explain it was your first time doing this and you didn't understand the process and were waiting for them to call you if you were needed, that the document stated that you were to be "ON CALL" if needed, and thought you were to be "CALLED" if needed.

Just speak your truth and don't use a meth head as an excuse as the judge will probably not believe you anyways......the issue is why you didn't show for jury duty, not how your home life was at the time you got the notice to appear.....but if you were sick during those days, only a doctors excuse would prove to the court that you were not willfully avoiding jury duty.

I hope this helps.

turiya
11th January 2014, 01:43
Sorry to hear of your trouble with the Corporate State Defacto Government, Sidney.
I would stand on the Bible, where Jesus said, "let the one without sin cast the first stone". That in itself would obviously present a problem in complying with the rest of the jurors.

But after you are cleared of this matter, it is suggested that you STOP registering to vote, as this is how you have agreed to comply with type of subjugation.

Ever since Robert Kennedy was assassinated, I stopped registering to vote, as I wasn't willing to vote for one idiot over another idiot.
Registering to vote is what leads to jury duty.

Best of luck.
turiya :cool:

Sidney
11th January 2014, 03:25
Sorry to hear of your trouble with the Corporate State Defacto Government, Sidney.
I would stand on the Bible, where Jesus said, "let the one without sin cast the first stone". That in itself would obviously present a problem in complying with the rest of the jurors.

But after you are cleared of this matter, it is suggested that you STOP registering to vote, as this is how you have agreed to comply with type of subjugation.

Ever since Robert Kennedy was assassinated, I stopped registering to vote, as I wasn't willing to vote for one idiot over another idiot.
Registering to vote is what leads to jury duty.

Best of luck.
turiya :cool:

I have not registered to vote for over ten years. THats why I was surprised I was even summoned. But apparently they are getting us non voters to do it too.

=[Post Update]=

I also want to note that when I was going through my divorce very recently, my ex failed to show up for 2 hearing in a row. He was suppose to be required to appear. Nothing happened to him even though he was clearly in contempt. Pisses me off.

enfoldedblue
11th January 2014, 03:41
Sorry to her about this situation Sidney. I hope it all works out for you. One thing that I can suggest is to wear black and white to court. I had a design teacher who once told us that if we ever had to go to court to wear b&W because on an unconscious level it tells the judge that you are straight up and down ---black and white --like the law (supposedly :P ). He believed that it helped him get out of a DD charge once.

Good luck...I am sure it will all be fine

turiya
12th January 2014, 01:56
Called in for jury duty without being registered to vote?
Can you tell me what state that is?

I remember when I went to renew my license one time, the form was pushed in front of me without me asking for it. After seeing what it was, I said 'no' I don't want it. The clerk scribbled something on the form and filed it. Six weeks later, I received a voter's registration card. I thought that someone maybe took the clerk's scribble for my signature.

When the next time it was time to vote, I thought I would see if the card would let me vote for Ron Paul. When I got to the voting place. I showed them the card, but they said my name wasn't in their file. And so, said I couldn't vote. I didn't make any fuss cuz that is how I wanted it.

Perhaps, something like this happened to you. A clerical error. Someone - some clerk made a mistake, and your name ended up as a Registered voter. I would go to the motor vehicle division, or where ever, to make sure they don't have you as a registered voter.

Seems pretty bazaar, to say the least.

grannyfranny100
12th January 2014, 16:02
Your anxiety level continues to be extremely high. A pattern of fear, victimhood, helplessness seems to continue to create difficulties for you. Temporarily some anti-anxiety medicine might help calm you enough to examine why so many "curve balls" keep you stirred up.

I feel that the universe is asking you to examine this so you can tune into the parts of yourself that knows you can handle events more successfully. Thank the universe for calling this pattern to your attention and ask for assistance to move from the static between radio stations into a clear channel that allows you to grow and gain confidence in your life path.

Begin to feel the occasions that stir up dread, believe that positive outcomes are possible and thank the universe as more and more positive outcomes enter your life.

Bless the positive in your life as you move into a more relaxed pathway. The universe seems intent that you are ready.

Sidney
18th January 2014, 19:28
So I show up the day they told me to to find out the next step. It seems, others receiving this threatening letter have also complained. One man, a very elderly gentleman with obvious parkinsons-type tremors, was so afraid he was going to be jailed he started crying right there in the court room. The woman sitting at the desk(not the judge) saw that we were all sitting together, united, ready to stand up for ourselves and went to (I assume) get the judge.
what happened ultimately, the judge came in and stated he didn't care why we didn't show up the first time around, that we just needed to pick a new time period, and if we failed the second time around we would be arrested, pay 100 bail to get out, then they will pick the time period for us (still pretty harsh language IMO).
This was the second chance hearing. 11 of us were there, 28 were not. (they will be arrested for not showing up for the second chance).

I find the whole process to be unnecessarily intimidating, and shows a huge gap in priorities regarding other "crimes" that are far more in need of harsher punishments.

Anyway, that is my update, and I thank each of you that have commented here, and those that offered direct assistance in this matter. IMO, this does show a real symptom of a police state.

onawah
18th January 2014, 20:13
I just saw this thread and agree, Sidney, the US is more and more becoming a police state.
And the prisons are big business now--the more people thrown in jail, regardless of whether they are guilty or not, the more the wheels are greased, it seems.
I am hopeful that the next few years will begin to show a positive change in the other direction, but we really have to stay on our toes for awhile yet...
I'm glad you weren't arrested, at least.
I have received notice of being up for jury duty before, but I am disabled, and have always used that to disqualify me.
If you want to avoid jury duty and have health issues, you might try contacting a doctor to see if a doctor's note will disqualify you.
Best of luck to you!

grannyfranny100
18th January 2014, 22:08
Viewpoints have changed so much since I was a young adult 50 years ago. Things like voting and serving jury duty were considered obligations of citizenship and things like food stamps and unemployment were an embarrassment to be avoided. During hard luck times, one went to family members to help out. Since then, many families have splintered apart all over the country. Gone are the days when one was surrounded by lots of relatives some of whom proved invaluable about understanding issues that young adults were facing.

Is that what has happened to you? No nearby supportive family, a baby possibly out of wedlock, no full time income with a possible career path, no close friends? Are you totally dependent on government services?

I hear you about the police state. Lots of the people start out with very noble goals but they are being trained by TPTB. I have recently read that the focus is no longer on Black Americans but the next rung of white redneck folks with no minimum wage skills of value to TPTB. With the start of more and more private prisons, TPTB's goal is to set up an extremely low priced work force to compete with Asian workers. I know this is insidious but also a wake up call. Don't be a target.

The more you are engrained in the government systems and living all alone, the more likely you will be abused by a system that doesn't have your best interests at heart. As I was moving along with my career, I knew a woman as beautiful as Liz Taylor. She had sufficient credentials for seeing patients while she was working on her doctorate in psychology. She linked up with another woman who had a child, too, and they set up a joint household with shared parenting, suitable work schedules while they completed their educational goals. They avoided the government as a nanny state and helped each other.

In threads such as yours, I get the impression that you are totally alone and dependent on the government. I don't envy the isolation you must be experiencing. Churches still seem to provide some opportunities to link up with people who share your values or help you to define your sense of integrity. How about joining some organizations that share a common interest. Why not help a garden club that is beautifying some community property, or a group that is buying some plans and constructing a new playground. Put yourself on the positive side of your community and work yourself out of the nanny state with opportunities that develop.

You already had a bit of good luck over the jury duty issue. It is a shame that one has to be threaten by the judge to get one's attention. Make sure you clearly understand and adhere to terms of the sign up for jury duty. You already know the consequences if you "forget" to show up.

Sidney
18th January 2014, 22:25
Viewpoints have changed so much since I was a young adult 50 years ago. Things like voting and serving jury duty were considered obligations of citizenship and things like food stamps and unemployment were an embarrassment to be avoided. During hard luck times, one went to family members to help out. Since then, many families have splintered apart all over the country. Gone are the days when one was surrounded by lots of relatives some of whom proved invaluable about understanding issues that young adults were facing.

Is that what has happened to you? No nearby supportive family, a baby possibly out of wedlock, no full time income with a possible career path, no close friends? Are you totally dependent on government services?

I hear you about the police state. Lots of the people start out with very noble goals but they are being trained by TPTB. I have recently read that the focus is no longer on Black Americans but the next rung of white redneck folks with no minimum wage skills of value to TPTB. With the start of more and more private prisons, TPTB's goal is to set up an extremely low priced work force to compete with Asian workers. I know this is insidious but also a wake up call. Don't be a target.

The more you are engrained in the government systems and living all alone, the more likely you will be abused by a system that doesn't have your best interests at heart. As I was moving along with my career, I knew a woman as beautiful as Liz Taylor. She had sufficient credentials for seeing patients while she was working on her doctorate in psychology. She linked up with another woman who had a child, too, and they set up a joint household with shared parenting, suitable work schedules while they completed their educational goals. They avoided the government as a nanny state and helped each other.

In threads such as yours, I get the impression that you are totally alone and dependent on the government. I don't envy the isolation you must be experiencing. Churches still seem to provide some opportunities to link up with people who share your values or help you to define your sense of integrity. How about joining some organizations that share a common interest. Why not help a garden club that is beautifying some community property, or a group that is buying some plans and constructing a new playground. Put yourself on the positive side of your community and work yourself out of the nanny state with opportunities that develop.

You already had a bit of good luck over the jury duty issue. It is a shame that one has to be threaten by the judge to get one's attention. Make sure you clearly understand and adhere to terms of the sign up for jury duty. You already know the consequences if you "forget" to show up.

Not sure why you think I am dependent on the government. I am not. I don't live alone either, I have a teenage child. Not sure what that has to do with this topic, as this is a societal issue to me, not personal.

My point was that rapists and murderers run the streets, yet they go around bullying potential jurors. It makes no sense. but in todays world, nothing does.

For the record, I recieve NOTHING from the government. Not like it would be anyones business.

grannyfranny100
19th January 2014, 00:41
I am sorry to have offended you; this is a different thread than the one you wrote about a meth lab the police couldn't find.

Sidney
19th January 2014, 00:50
I am sorry to have offended you; this is a different thread than the one you wrote about a meth lab the police couldn't find.
Yes, whats your point??? Meth cooking / using happens in nice neighborhoods too you know, if that is what you are getting at. this is way off topic so,,,,, yeah, off topic.:focus:

Tesla_WTC_Solution
19th January 2014, 02:50
Someone here needs to stop trolling. what is it today with people's attitudes??

I have the utmost respect for my elders.
By elders I mean people who were in their late eighties circa 1992.

Everyone since the WWII generation and those before them have been nothing more than self righteous whiners.
Including my own grandparents. Sad but true.

None of us including anyone alive on this forum is anything like the kind of people we came from.
We can't really call ourselves old fashioned -- we are all post-radio and TV and have no idea what suffering is really.

But I am only 30 and grew up on a farm, so it makes me upset to see so called old people picking on the young on PA.
I had to carry firewood at age 5 (female) and gin/strip tobacco at age 10.

I'd like to hear more about why those of us lucky enough to get a disability when we break down are hated so much.
Many of us young and unemployed were in the military and the experiments have gotten worse not better, sorry to disappoint.