PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with TED Talks? : brilliant!

Jean-Luc
10th January 2014, 10:05
TED Talks can be both entertaining (that's wat the E of TED is supposed to mean) and sometimes eyeopening, but - given the sponsorship - they are also very contrived (with all 'paranormal' stuff being requested to stay outside).

Listen to what Benjamin Bratton, Associate Professor of Visual Arts at the University of California, San Diego, thinks about them.

To me, it's brilliant and usefull to pass on to your friends who might have fallen into this confortable trap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo5cKRmJaf0

"The first reason is over-simplification," Bratton says at the start of his speech. "To be clear, I have nothing against the idea of interesting people who do smart things explaining their work doing in a way that everyone can understand, but TED goes way beyond that."

Bratton then launches into a terrifying anecdote to explain what he means:

I was recently at a presentation that a friend, an astrophysicist, was making to a potential donor, and I thought this talk was lucid, and engaging, and I'm a professor of visual arts here at UC San Diego so at the end of the day, I know really nothing about astrophysics. The donor, however, said, 'you know what, I'm gonna pass. I'm just not inspired. You should be more like Malcolm Gladwell.'

Bratton was livid: "Can you imagine? A scientist who creates real knowledge should be more like a journalist who recycles fake insights. This is not popularization. This is taking something with substance and value and coring it out so that it can be swallowed without chewing. This is not how we'll confront one of our most frightening problems - this is one of our most frightening problems."

You should absolutely watch the entire talk, but if you're short on time, just read the full text of Bratton's "take away":

As for one simple take away ... I don't have one simple take away, one magic idea. That's kind of the point. [...]

'Innovation' defined as moving the pieces around and adding more processing power is not some Big Idea that will disrupt a broken status quo: that precisely is the broken status quo.

One TED speaker said recently, ;If you remove this boundary ... the only boundary left is our imagination.' Wrong.

If we really want transformation, we have to slog through the hard stuff (history, economics, philosophy, art, ambiguities, contradictions). Bracketing it off to the side to focus just on technology, or just on innovation, actually prevents transformation.

Instead of dumbing-down the future, we need to raise the level of general understanding to the level of complexity of the systems in which we are embedded and which are embedded in us. This is not about 'personal stories of inspiration,' it's about the difficult and uncertain work of demystification and reconceptualisation: the hard stuff that really changes how we think. More Copernicus, less Tony Robbins.

http://www.sott.net/article/271690-TEDx-speaker-gives-priceless-talk-about-how-TED-talks-are-worthless

Ilie Pandia
10th January 2014, 11:55
This should be a must watch :)

TargeT
10th January 2014, 12:33
There is a good discussion on this topic here:
TED TALKS = CO-INTEL-PRO (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?63579-TED-talks-COINTELPRO-Gatekeeper&p=732790&viewfull=1#post732790)

Basically TED Talks is yet another gatekeeper, they let enough good stuff out to build political capital and block everything that "must be blocked" in the minds of the establishment.

I have seen many good talks, but its not surprising that something this steeped in academia is actually a part of the problem, not the solution.

Agape
10th January 2014, 15:32
Yes and it gives you an idea what are these people up to. I've enjoyed many of the great TED talks but it's clearly coming through , what the speaker coined 'placebo politics' ,
an illusion that thinking 'out of the box' is welcome and accepted part of human 'scientific world' , that we support genius challenging old dogmas and finding new visionary solutions, that we're ready for some sort of quantum leap of consciousness or even making it.
While in fact, the TED talks is a prima example of hosting a group of gifted individuals who came close to a metaphorical edge of the 'great unknown' ,
border that divides 'taught thinking' from 'original thought' and they are, some for the first time in their life and human history allowed on the big stage to tell others about it..
hey, ''I am a learned, grounded person with years of experience in this n that profession but at the end .. I found I exist beyond the concept . Thanks for giving me the privilege to be one of the first at the edge of galaxy '' .

The foundation itself .. like every academic grounds , holding you up, binds your steps and hands carefully. It allows speakers no matter who they are who stand in support of the mainstream, official system,
not renegades, not 'whistleblowers' , not people who see beyond the system itself .

That's why 'paranormal' ( ridiculous name in itself ) seems so dangerous to the system and its science
and we have to keep continue asking, in true scientific spirit of investigation,

BUT WHY .

There's no para-normal . The norm of dimensional, physical , biological , psychological world is not defined by its 'average' .
In biological sense, it's often exactly the 'anomalies' that force evolution .

In physical sense .. there is no observation, no matter how subtle it appears to our limited senses that is not energy fields and continuity of physical interactions .

While millions of people continue observing things that are not explainable by todays narrow version of science ,
does it mean there is no science that can explain multiplicity of subtle phenomena , and Universe that certainly exists beyond the aquarium of human paradigm ?

Truly like fish in aquarium, those 'grounded scientists' keep carefully brushing their speeches and colours on their fish coats as if that meant something,
something substantial .. that represents pinnace of universal perfection..they feel they are approaching... again and again...

for millennia..

:fish2:

Kristin
10th January 2014, 16:51
Brilliant:
Bratton was livid: "Can you imagine? A scientist who creates real knowledge should be more like a journalist who recycles fake insights. This is not popularization. This is taking something with substance and value and coring it out so that it can be swallowed without chewing. This is not how we'll confront one of our most frightening problems - this is one of our most frightening problems."

Excellent post Jean Luc. Excellent.

From the Heart,
Kristin