PDA

View Full Version : Spandex - are you wearing it?

nzreva
11th January 2014, 23:57
A number of years ago I threw away all my clothes with spandex and started wearing 100% cotton and 100% linen clothes. Changed my sheets to all cotton. I noticed my anxiety attacks stopped until one night I woke up with an anxiety attack, I had not had one in years, I looked at the pull over I had on and realized it was spandex, on the front of the pullover. I took it off and the panic attack was gone. I told a friend of mine and a year or so she was at a conference presenting a talk and had a panic attack she said she remembered what I said and paused the meeting and went to the ladies room and took her nylons off, which had spandex in them and she told me later the attack stopped immediately. That is one of many people who, over the years have come to me and told me the same thing..

tetahydrofuran is in spandex
About two hundred thousand tonnes of tetrahydrofuran are produced annually, 808.9 thouand tons of tetrahydrofuran will be marketed by the year 2017…..

http://www.prweb.com/releases/tetrahydrofuran_market/PTMEG_market/prweb9435873.htm

also

polyurethane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyurethane -polyurea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyurea

copolymer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terpolymer#terpolymer

Tetrahydrofuran http://tetrahydrofuran.askdefine.com/

is used to make spandex (a known carcinogenic in animals) http://www.clean.cise.columbia.edu/msds/Tetrahydrofuran.pdf

I have a lot more to explore and understand about spandex, the more I read the more I understand.

Why I became interested in Spandex.
Years ago, The Holy Spirit told me there is a connection between HAARP, (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) and spandex and that I would be better off if I did not wear spandex.
I have many more reasons why I would not wear it now. It is difficult for women to find clothes that does not contain spandex.

nzreva
12th January 2014, 00:19
TETRAHYDROFURAN Dangers
http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/thf.htm

Bob
12th January 2014, 00:51
Thank you for the post NZReva - interesting find.

http://www.mescoursespourlaplanete.com/medias/all/res_ngfa2d.pdf

"1,4-Dioxane (not dioxin) ether, diethylene oxide—not to be confused with dioxin).

Dioxane (Di-Ethylene oxide) is a solvent classified by the EPA as a probable human carcinogen, and some research suggests that it may suppress the immune system"

ref: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0602.html

"Historically, 1,4-dioxane was used primarily (~90%) for the stabilization of a chemical called 1,1,1-trichloroethane (TCA). Since trichloroethane use was limited in the US in 1996 due to its ozone-depleting properties, use of 1,4-dioxane for this purpose is no longer significant.

"Currently, 1,4-dioxane is used as a laboratory reagent and as a solvent for the production of cellulose acetate, ethyl cellulose, benzyl cellulose, lacquers, plastics, varnishes, paints, dyes, resins, oils, fats, waxes, greases, polyvinyl polymers and for the pulping of wood. It has also been used as a chemical intermediate, polymerization catalyst, and an extraction medium, as well as in the production of plastics, rubber and pesticides."

"Tetrahydrofuran -
Synonyms & Trade Names Diethylene oxide; 1,4-Epoxybutane; Tetramethylene oxide; THF "

nzreva
12th January 2014, 14:05
Bobd
Thank you. So one of tetrahydrofuran's trade name is Diethylene oxide. Now I have other names to look for to show the dangers of wearing spandex and as you have stated, many products that are being put into our daily uses of cleaners paints etc.

nzreva
12th January 2014, 15:43
Interesting article lots to look into, not sure how valid all of it is. I am brain storming, the more I look into this the more, "out there" I find.
Puharich experimented discovering that http://www.bariumblues.com/em_mind%20control.htm
A) 7.83 Hz (earth's pulse rate) made a person feel good, producing an altered-state.
B) 10.80 Hz causes riotous behavior and
C) 6.6 Hz causes depression.
Spandex is 7.2 causing an alterted state when HAARP is 7.2.

If a victim needs subliminal-thoughts implanted, all that is necessary is to capture, save on computer, and target the person's brainwave pattern to send them such low frequency subliminal-messages that they actually think it is their own thoughts [confirmed by Al Bielek and Preston Nichols with the Montauk Project in Long Island].

Sidney
12th January 2014, 17:13
Excellent thread. I had no idea about any of this. Another dot connected! Thank you!!

Snowflower
12th January 2014, 17:23
Well, hell. Another one down. Now what am I going to do about going out in public? I don't know if there is a bra made without spandex any more.

Sidney
12th January 2014, 17:36
Well, hell. Another one down. Now what am I going to do about going out in public? I don't know if there is a bra made without spandex any more.

Made me laugh. I practically live in yoga pants lately, although I have a special appreciation for anything that is 100% cotton. IMO though, spandex does not belong in jeans. I miss the vintage levis that I lived in a long time ago. I hear you about the bra thing too. Could be a connection with breast cancer, no??

Snowflower
12th January 2014, 19:42
Could be. I read a book years ago about the connection between wearing bras and breast cancer: an absolute causative relationship to the point that the number of hours per day of wear could be correlated to the percentage of cancer cases. Hard for me to imagine, but there are some American women who wear them 24/7. Then there are those who never wear them. I would get the name "cow" if I tried that, but at home I'm usually sans bra. Every single bra I own is made with spandex.

Sidney
12th January 2014, 20:20
I can't go without one either snowflower, not in public anyway. But usually when I get home and put my comfy clothes on the bra comes off. Hurts my sturnum and I believe it slows the digestion of my food. One of the many pains of womanhood.

Gardener
12th January 2014, 20:26
Is spandex the same as 'elastane' which may be the british version?

Bob
12th January 2014, 20:42
Now I know why the name Tetra Hydro Furan kept sticking in the back of the mind.. I have seen this before. In the assembly of plastic water pipes for residential use.

PLASTIC WATER PIPE preparation substance used to melt the plastic before the glue layer is added..

"Each joint properly fused should have THF (Tetra-Hydro-Furan) applied to soften the plastic so that the plastic glue is able to properly melt in and allow for the bonding.."

Darned stuff smells terrible too.. And it's mixed with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)..

http://i2.wp.com/make-images.s3.amazonaws.com/pGMZGcAb5jpIZ3Jm.jpg?zoom=2&resize=620%2C465

This is kinda a spooky site talking about using all sorts of chemicals on plastic, http://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/ for manipulating "PVC plastic any color you like."

(Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Acetone, Cyclohexanone, and Tetrahydrofuran in some of the plastic pipe end preparation material)

This stuff is used on pipe, and does the plastic pipe joint thusly treated, no longer leach out those chemicals over time?

I can't answer that, but plastic water pipe is gaining popularity. Cause it is not metal copper pipe, not iron pipe, no "lead" in the joints, just THF in the joints now apparently..

From the Oatey website, showing the ingredients of the plastic pipe glue substance:

INGREDIENTS: %wt/wt
Tetrahydrofuran 15 - 40%

Methyl Ethyl Ketone 10 – 30%

Acetone 10 - 20%

PVC Resin 10 - 20%

Cyclohexanone 7 - 13%

http://www.oatey.com/img/product/31013_GHS.jpg

material reference - http://www.oatey.com/msds/1100C_tmpl_cn_e1_OUT.pdf

ED NOTE - the reference to the THF chemical, used in the Spandex, Elastane material softens the plastic.. see the posts below on what softened plastic can release.. Spandex IS a plastic-rubber material.. It is synthetic plastic and clearly falls under the category of the NIH study.

Bob
12th January 2014, 21:19
[...]
This stuff is used on pipe, and does the plastic pipe joint thusly treated, no longer leach out those chemicals over time?

I can't answer that, but plastic water pipe is gaining popularity. [...]

So I did a search on what happens with plastic leaching - and found an article published in pubMED from the National Library of Medicine..

Study shows that PLASTICS (in the presence of solvents) will release Estrogen-like compounds. This is not just BisPhenol (BPA) plastics, they said MOST PLASTICS in the article..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21367689 is the reference to the article..

Then a plastic plus a solvent allowing for estrogen-like substances being released. THF (tetrahydrofuran) being a softner, being present in multiple plastics assembly and manufacturing.. if the plastics when softened release the estrogens, that may in fact answer then SnowFlower's observation about potentially the plastic "rubber" bras and breast cancer..

From the NIH article:

"Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Chemicals having Estrogenic activity (EA) reportedly cause many adverse health effects, especially at low (picomolar to nanomolar) doses in fetal and juvenile mammals.

"RESULTS - Almost all commercially available plastic products we sampled--independent of the type of resin, product, or retail source--leached chemicals having reliably detectable EA, including those advertised as BPA free. In some cases, BPA-free products released chemicals having more EA than did BPA-containing products."

Seems to me then a plastic subjected to something that may dissolve to an extent could very well form trace amounts of estrogens that can be released into either skin contact, or a liquid passing over it.

I seem to remember some skin creams, or lotions are notorious for breaking down plastics.. Sunscreen containing mosquito repellent especially is a strong plastic solvent..

So TetraHydroFuran, the plastic-rubber in spandex, something that can soften/dissolve the plastic-rubber over time, a release of synthetic estrogen-like chemicals into the skin.. Looks like NZReva really is onto something here. Above hopefully we explained the why behind putting plastic-rubber substances in contact with the body (in the presence of any solvent.. potentially a body skin creme, or lotion might be that solvent) could very well have an inherent danger..

Bob
12th January 2014, 21:24
Is spandex the same as 'elastane' which may be the british version?

It sure looks like it is - http://www.ivc-ev.de/live/index.php?page_id=73 ELASTANE FIBRES (SPANDEX FIBERS)

"Elastane fibres, better known under their trade names, Lycra and Dorlastan, represent a further high point in the development of man-made fibres. Invented in 1937 in Germany, elastane has properties not found in nature, the most important being an extraordinary elasticity.

"Compared to rubber, elastane has both greater tear resistance and durability and a tension capacity two or three times greater, at a third of the weight. Elastane is used in all areas where a high degree of permanent elasticity is required, as, for example, in tights, sportswear, swimwear, corsetry, and in woven and knitted fabrics."

dianna
12th January 2014, 22:59
You know … half funny and half serious, wore a lot of spandex in the 80s and keep giggling to myself that maybe it is the reason for the insanity of the punk rock mosh pit scene I was involved in … LOL (one collective anxiety attack!)

Carmody
13th January 2014, 02:49
It's the same problem as water bottles, or that of any plastic drink bottle.

plasticizer leeching, is the deal. it gets into the drink, and in the case of the Lycra, spandex, or elastane, it's the same. Put it on the body and the skin absorbs it.

I cannot wear such items without suffering a reaction. I stick to pure cotton or very high cotton counts. Wool, Denim, etc. Natural fibers.

MariaDine
13th January 2014, 03:01
Yes, I can't wear it either... Long live silk, my favourite !

jagman
13th January 2014, 03:12
I know this is a serious subject but I couldn't resist. Spandex can
be good or bad lol

nzreva
14th January 2014, 15:31
yes
I make my bra's 100% cotton bra's start at $50.oo and up, linen almost $100. I am a minister and a women's crisis counselor also work at a very busy Health food store. Women that talk to me for any of the above reasons the first question I ask is are you overly anxious? They are, then I go down the list of what they wear what they eat their live style, have they had any huge life changes.
I first help them to make the approximate life changes, which includes all cotton linen and hemp clothing. A diet that will build their immune system up. Exercise. It has helped immediately. The long term counseling is encouraging them to stay in this frame of mind..........I can't take stress out of women's lives but I can help to make life easier for them.

nzreva
14th January 2014, 15:35
I use glass or BPA free bottles in an emergency.

nzreva
14th January 2014, 19:42
You know … half funny and half serious, wore a lot of spandex in the 80s and keep giggling to myself that maybe it is the reason for the insanity of the punk rock mosh pit scene I was involved in … LOL (one collective anxiety attack!)

I have articles I wrote years ago about this. Most Rock stars wore alot of Spandex they also had electric guitars both have to do with mind mutilation because of the electromagnetic waves, when I fine the articles LOL I will put them here. Ya'll saw the LOL, I have written soooo many articles hope to find them.....what I remember is the voices they heard and the gods that told them they were gods sent here to change our thinking. Which they did for people who listened.

halffull
15th January 2014, 18:43
Reported today in main stream media

Residues of toxic chemicals have been found in children’s clothes and shoes made by major brands including Disney, Burberry, American Apparel, GAP and Primark.

The products involved include items sold in the UK, according to research by Greenpeace.

There is no evidence that the levels of chemicals found would cause harm to children wearing them, however Greenpeace argues they should be removed on a precautionary basis.
It is particularly concerned for the health of workers involved in making the products in countries stretching from China to Italy, Tunisia and the U.S.

Eighty-two items of children’s clothing from 25 countries around the world were sent to research laboratories at the University of Exeter, who co-ordinated the testing.
The chemicals highlighted by the group include Nonylphenol ethoxylates(NPEs), which were detected in 50 of the products.

Higher levels were found in products from Disney, Burberry, American Apparel and C&A. These are said to have the potential to accumulate in the body and disrupt hormones.

The tests ound phthalates, which are used to soften plastics, in many products. These have been at the centre of controversy over suggestions they can disrupt the hormones of developing children.

Also found were Per and poly-flurinated(PFOAs) chemicals, which are said to have an impact on the reproductive and immune systems. Animal tests have identified them as a potential cancer risk.

One Adidas swimsuit contained higher levels of PFOAs than permitted in the company’s own Restricted Substance List, while printed fabric on a Primark children’s T-shirt contained a high phthalate reading.

Antimony, which has many similarities to arsenic, was found in some garments. It is known to trigger dermatitis and breathing problems.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2539428/Toxic-chemical-residues-childrens-clothes-major-brands-including-Disney-Gap-Primark.html#ixzz2qUgWzknN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

vilcabamba
15th January 2014, 19:06
MAybe the gov is hiding nanotechnology particles in spandex somehow like they are doing in other clothing.

nzreva
24th February 2014, 16:19
Fabrics used in bras have evolved significantly over the years, and today's bras are primarily made of materials including spandex and latex, along with satin, lace, and foam. Beyond its wonderful ability to hold us together, Spandex contains chemicals including TDI and MDI (Toluene-2,4-diisocyanate; Methylene bisphenyl-4,4-diiisocyanate), which are known toxins. TDI has been shown to have carcinogenic properties along with skin irritating effects. Latex is a known allergen that can irritate the skin and cause respiratory issues.

nzreva
24th February 2014, 16:26
I went shopping the other day and looked at a brand of boys socks which have always been made with 100% cotton. Not any more, so I looked at the boys underwear. Guess what? Spandex in both, also in some of the boys shirts. Years ago when I first started to see this trend I said this would happen. I know everything will have spandex in it. Ya'll buy your stuff now, I bought years of panties 100% cotton, now it is almost impossible to buy....I paid alot for buster brown 100% socks for women and the prices will continue to rise..

nzreva
24th February 2014, 16:34
From what I understand is this

spandex is made from a specific molecule that has a dielectric constant of about 7.6 that could serve as some kind of signal booster to transmissions of the Harrp kind.
Harrp can modulate the Schumann Resonance . [link to en.wikipedia.org]
In the normal mode descriptions of Schumann resonances, the fundamental mode is a standing wave in the Earth–ionosphere cavity with a wavelength equal to the circumference of the Earth. This lowest-frequency (and highest-intensity) mode of the Schumann resonance occurs at a frequency of approximately 7.83 Hz, but this frequency can vary slightly from a variety of factors,

The specific molecule THF can be polymerized by strong acids to give a linear polymer called poly(tetramethylene ether) glycol (PTMEG), CAS Registry Number [25190-06-1], also known as PTMO, polytetramethylene oxide. The primary use of this polymer is to make elastomeric polyurethane

fibers like Spandex.

As a solvent The other main application of THF that is Tetrahydrofuranis as an industrial solvent for PVC and in varnishes.[6] It is an aprotic solvent with a dielectric constant of 7.6.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

What is a Dielectric constant [link to searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com]

What does this mean? For good or bad I see a connection outside of my ability to control, so I choose not to wear spandex.

Bob
24th February 2014, 16:49
MAybe the gov is hiding nanotechnology particles in spandex somehow like they are doing in other clothing.

maybe more like manufacturers using silver nano-particles to claim biocide ability (germ fighting ability). Silver nanoparticles are in various plastics that are certified germicidal..

nzreva
24th February 2014, 20:25

maybe more like manufacturers using silver nano-particles to claim biocide ability (germ fighting ability). Silver nanoparticles are in various plastics that are certified germicidal..

Yet another reason to not wear spandex. I try never to use plastic except bpa free. Is that safe?

Bob
25th February 2014, 02:33

Yet another reason to not wear spandex. I try never to use plastic except bpa free. Is that safe?

boy bpa free, latex free, pure cotton seems to me the best without dyes.. I remember some folks at one point talking about using hemp fibre as a stock, something better than cotton, any thoughts or merits or issues on non-thc grade hemp for clothing? basically breaking up the fibres softening them and re-weaving into threads, so it doesn't feel like a manila rope bag cloth..

nzreva
7th July 2014, 15:27
He does not mention spandex directly but if you read the article you will find, another reason not to wear Spandex.

Electromagnetic Fields Act by Activating Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels:
Why the Current International Safety Standards Do Not Predict Biological Hazard
Martin L. Pall
Professor Emeritus of Biochemistry and Basic Medical Sciences
Washington State University
638 NE 41st Ave., Portland, OR 97232 USA
martin_pall@wsu.edu
Abstract:
Microwave and other low frequency electromagnetic fields (EMFs) have been shown to act by
activating voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCCs) with most biological effects being due to elevated
intracellular calcium, consequent nitric oxide (NO) elevation and either peroxynitrite or NO signaling.
This, the role of excessive intracellular calcium in microwave effects and some 20,000 papers on
microwave biological effects show that the current international safety standards do not predict
biological hazard. Such standards are based on the false assumption that the predominant effects
of microwave and other low frequency EMF exposures are due to heating. A whole series of
biological changes reportedly produced by microwave exposures can now be explained
in terms of this new paradigm of EMF action via VGCC activation, including: oxidative
stress; single and double stranded breaks in cellular DNA; therapeutic effects; blood-brain barrier
breakdown; greatly depressed melatonin levels and sleep disruption; cancer; male and female
infertility; immune dysfunction; neurological dysfunction; cardiac dysfunction including tachycardia,
arrhythmia and sudden cardiac death. A two-phase program for greatly improving EMF safety
standards is proposed. http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7521102473

nzreva
7th July 2014, 16:02
Relative permittivity (dielectric constant) is a ratio of the permittivity of a given material to that of a vacuum. The lower the number the less electrical charge is stored in the dielectric, and the more likely the source waveform will be unaltered by the properties of the insulation. The dielectric constant of air at sea level is 1.2, cotton is 1.3 – 1.4, http://www.stereotimes.com/cable062311a.shtml

My comment
Spandex dielectric constant or Relative permittivity is 7.6, this, not allowing the body to function as well as wearing cotton.

nzreva
7th July 2014, 16:38
Why would the Gov want 100% white cotton briefs for the males coming across our border? If 100% cotton is important why have they changed our boys underwear to have spandex in them? Also why briefs?

A solicitation posted earlier this month by the Immigration & Customs Enforcement office seeks thousands of “White 100% Cotton Men’s Briefs” ranging from mediums to hundreds of 6X-large pairs of the underwear
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/24/homeland-security-seeks-thousands-of-pairs-of-underwear-for-detained-immigrants/

avid
7th July 2014, 18:12
Buy 100% cotton clothing, bedding, et al.... Even the sofa's we sit on are riddled with chemicals (fire retardants) which are so toxic we can hardly breathe these days in their environs. Go and invest in organic. Most of my clothes and bedding are 100% cotton, but the mattress...?!!!! I still believe in silver though - and drink it daily when I feel ill (which is now - hay-fever, severe depletion due to stress etc). Don't buy anything with 'memory foam', or foam-related. Just be aware what you are buying, do we really need spandex anything? Natural feels great. Stop looking at daft celeb rubbish and see a new natural YOU :-)

GrnEggsNHam
7th July 2014, 19:12

This made me think of a rather humorous animation series from Japan.

Kill la Kill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_la_Kill) is the series however these (http://kill-la-kill.wikia.com/wiki/Life_Fibers) are what I thought of.

Life Fibers (生命戦維 Seimei Sen'i?) are sentient parasitic organisms of extraterrestrial origin, and are the origin of all clothing on Earth, as well as the entities responsible for the evolution of humanity. All Life Fiber originates from the Original Life Fiber (原初生命戦維 Genshō Seimei Sen'i?), an object originated from space that crashed onto Earth tens of thousands of years ago.

Omni
7th July 2014, 22:53
I recommend hemp over cotton :) Such a wonderful plant... Much better for the world than cotton too.

nzreva
2nd September 2014, 19:01
I do like hemp better but the U S does not allow hemp to be grown except Colorado is now growing it, but not enough to supply us. I have lots of linen and I love linen also.
Any thing 100% not man made it good for me.