PDA

View Full Version : Grow trees from shipping boxes - LifeBox project

Marc Barrie
12th January 2014, 00:05
Greetings all - my first thread. Something that resonates with creating positive change in the world.

I read about Paul Stamets LifeBox project (http://www.lifeboxcompany.com/home.html) a while back, and it really captured my imagination. He is a source of inspiration and information about many things, and his research surrounding mushrooms/mycelium promise positive changes in many directions. If you haven't heard of him, I suggest starting with a YouTube search which will provide hours of fascinating material.

The LifeBox is a cardboard shipping box that is also a complete ecosystem containing seeds and mushroom spores embedded within. Instead of throwing it away, it becomes a catalyst for creating new life. The box is torn into pieces, soaked in water, and after a month of hibernation of sorts (depending on the time of year), is then planted. Each contains a variety of trees along with mushroom spores to help them grow. Once planted, you can register your box on a national map that tracks all others that have been entered.

here's a short explanation from Paul:

R0JKIX_r-zg

more info on the project at their site: http://www.lifeboxcompany.com/

sunflower
12th January 2014, 02:08
Brilliant concept. Welcome to Avalon.

CD7
12th January 2014, 05:10
Do those trees grow food aside from mushroom spores?

Marc Barrie
12th January 2014, 05:26
Do those trees grow food aside from mushroom spores?

Here's a sample makeup of one of the boxes:

http://www.lifeboxcompany.com/system/html/LB041510-dd14fd25.jpg

It doesn't seem that there are any fruit/nut bearing trees in the mix, and the spores themselves are there for promoting growth of the trees.

CD7
12th January 2014, 13:22
Ok I see thanks for the response.....im sure boxes with plants and trees that actually grow Resources/Food would be great too.

araucaria
12th January 2014, 13:54
I dont want to pour cold water on this initiative (although that is literally what we are being asked to do :)), but speaking from experience, when I planted out a couple of acres, I just sowed seeds scattered naturally in great abundance in a local forest. City-dwellers can even find them in town. It's good fun and you don't need to wait for the postman to get started. The big problem for most people would be finding somewhere to plant them out.

Marc Barrie
12th January 2014, 16:38
Ok I see thanks for the response.....im sure boxes with plants and trees that actually grow Resources/Food would be great too.

Certainly! I imagine as this project gains momentum and popularity, there will be a range of options to choose from. One obstacle (while we are still dealing with the current paradigm) is that each seed needs to be cleared with regulations in each state that it could be potentially shipped to - the ones currently in the mix have been approved for all of them. Internationally it would be even more tricky to work out.

Marc Barrie
12th January 2014, 16:46
The big problem for most people would be finding somewhere to plant them out.

I was discussing that point this morning... I for one don't have any place to plant, and I am sure plenty of folks are in the same situation. It might be an idea for the FAQ section on their site to discuss creative ideas about where to plant the trees should you find yourself the recipient of a LifeBox in the mail.