PDA

View Full Version : The Hero's Journey - a common theme in stories and possibly our life

Ilie Pandia
24th January 2014, 15:49
I've just got this video about the The Hero's Journey. :)

It explains a very well know structure that is used in writing and story telling to make for a good and entertaining read!

But looking at it, as the author of the video suggests, you cannot help but find parallels with our own lives and perhaps the human story as a species.

Where are you, individually in the story and where do you think humanity is?

Enjoy!

Hhk4N9A0oCA

Robin
24th January 2014, 16:23
I honestly think that there is something to this when looking at the big scope of things. I started a thread about this subject last month:

Are we living a pre-scripted story (Implications, Revelations, and the Future)? (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?66854-Are-we-living-a-pre-scripted-story--Implications-Revelations-and-the-Future-)

The research concerning this subject can have some great implications for humanity if we can come to understand how this system works and how it integrates with natural laws of the universe. Folks like David Wilcock and Gregg Braden are both advocates of this theory, and I think there is a great amount of evidence to suggest that the universe does incoroporate this system to some degree.

All protagonists need an antagonist to progress in a story...;)

Limor Wolf
24th January 2014, 16:27
Hi Ilie! Nice one, thanks a lot.

I can't really say much when it comes to your question

But, two interesting things I have noticed -

1) Many of todays heros are really anti-heros by character.

2) Almost all Hollywood movies, quite a few of them done, produced and scripted by some Illuminati advisement, either full with their symbols or with 'negative' governmental characters are following the same line as mentioned in your above video. They all end with the 'good guys' managing to change the world, to recover whatever disasters their area was struck with, overcoming Alien invasion or any other considrable human corruptive force and finding their peace and quiet. This is their scripts, and I often wonder, if they know the 'Heros journey' so well, why do they bother walking it in real life? :)

Cheers,

Limor

Knowrainknowrainbows!
24th January 2014, 16:34
I would add/suggest an amendment to the hero's journey. I believe a hero shares his/her reward and lessons ... educates others for the greatest good.

KRKR

Ilie Pandia
24th January 2014, 17:15
But, two interesting things I have noticed -

1) Many of todays heros are really anti-heros by character.

2) Almost all Hollywood movies, quite a few of them done, produced and scripted by some Illuminati advisement, either full with their symbols or with 'negative' governmental characters are following the same line as mentioned in your above video. They all end with the 'good guys' managing to change the world, to recover whatever disasters their area was struck with, overcoming Alien invasion or any other considrable human corruptive force and finding their peace and quiet. This is their scripts, and I often wonder, if they know the 'Heros journey' so well, why do they bother walking it real life? :)

Hi Limor,

The way I see it "The Hero's Journey" is a tool to tell a good story. Also it's a tool that resonates with us. I'll have to look into SamwiseTheBrave's thread to find some clues about that.

But as with all tools it can be used for good or bad :).

As you probably know, Wade Frazier exposes on his website most of America's "heroes" for the mass murderers that they were/are. (In very short: for killing off the indigenous population and nowadays for invading other countries for their oil. Mean while almost all of the US is cheering about it). All those people are presented as Heroes and they fit well in the Hero's journey when they show up and save/civilize/liberate the world! :). I was basically raised with the movies from the US, fitting the evil Indians or killing some heartless terrorist in a poor country.

I do not know if this model was invented but Hollywood or not... but it is clearly used today for propaganda. That is obvious to me.

Dennis Lee, for example, is a hero in my book, albeit suppressed and ridiculed and I hear now banished from the United States for trying to free humanity from the clutches of the Energy Racket. Will you ever see a movie about him and his journey? I doubt it. And he did not come out victorious... at least not yet!

donk
24th January 2014, 17:20
Good topic, can't wait to check out the video. Reminds me I need re-read a personal favorite:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Joseph_Campbell_-_The_Hero_With_a_Thousand_Faces_-_Cover_Reprint.jpg

Link to pdf of book:

http://vymena.grimoar.cz/campbell-the_hero_with_a_thousand_faces.pdf

Limor Wolf
24th January 2014, 19:57
Hi Limor,

The way I see it "The Hero's Journey" is a tool to tell a good story. Also it's a tool that resonates with us. I'll have to look into SamwiseTheBrave's thread to find some clues about that.

But as with all tools it can be used for good or bad :).

As you probably know, Wade Frazier exposes on his website most of America's "heroes" for the mass murderers that they were/are. (In very short: for killing off the indigenous population and nowadays for invading other countries for their oil. Mean while almost all of the US is cheering about it). All those people are presented as Heroes and they fit well in the Hero's journey when they show up and save/civilize/liberate the world! :). I was basically raised with the movies from the US, fitting the evil Indians or killing some heartless terrorist in a poor country.

I do not know if this model was invented but Hollywood or not... but it is clearly used today for propaganda. That is obvious to me.

Dennis Lee, for example, is a hero in my book, albeit suppressed and ridiculed and I hear now banished from the United States for trying to free humanity from the clutches of the Energy Racket. Will you ever see a movie about him and his journey? I doubt it. And he did not come out victorious... at least not yet!

Yes, Ilie, I agree. Wade certainly shook a few bells in my understandings even though it was clear that history is told by the 'winners' and by the deceivers. Oh! Dennis Lee is banished from the US .. I wasn't aware to that. Isn't he an American citizen? Unbelievable! How much more a person such as him needs to go through. He is undoubtedly one of the finest heroes and deserves a far better ending to his story than even your video suggests. 'his story', is one that is connected to that of the planet, but he has the courage and integrity to walk the dangerous trail again and again (and Wade Frazier might also add 'unwisely').

Originally posted by Ilie: The way I see it "The Hero's Journey" is a tool to tell a good story. Also it's a tool that resonates with us

I happened to recieve a good advice specifically from such a hero, he is reading certain types of books, History, Biographies and research, but also some fiction books which resemble the 'journey of the heroes' and have bits and pieces of 'interesting stuff' in them. One has to wonder where those authors got their inspiration from..

But, as you also said - it can be used for bad as well. It might be best to stick to reality (with all it's forms and manifestations).

chocolate
24th January 2014, 20:04
Once I had found a very interesting writing about the roles we all adapt and play in our lives, not just the 'hero', but many other conceptual roles and stereotypes we follow.

I hope to find the article and post it here, it was informative.

When it comes to where humanity stands right now, I think we are about the remember again that we have been the hero all along individually and as a collective. We just have forgotten that part and need to be harshly reminded to wake up again. Sort of like Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. Or Neo from the Matrix (the Oracle did tell him he is not "The One')...
(it only seems fair to use film examples in a thread like that). :)

I am not going to go into the film / script thing here, or I will take on the whole thread, and there will be nobody left to finish the other work I had been doing while not on the forum.

Inaiá
25th January 2014, 13:39
There was a russion scholar named Vladimir Propp who, in 1928, analysed the basic structure of folk and fairy tales.
He found patterns and wrote the "Morphologie of Folktale". Very interesting and worth a study.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Propp

http://lostbiro.com/blog/?page_id=522

:nod: