PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Side of US History...!

Deega
10th October 2010, 15:40
Hi All Avalonians, visitors,

This morning searching on the Web, I came upon a serie of articles on the "Dark Side of US History". I thought you might be interested.

http://www.alternet.org/news/148451?page=1

All my blessings.

Deega

Lost Soul
10th October 2010, 19:00
It is true that historically this nation does not have clean hands. In England, there was a scotchman, John the Painter, who contacted US Agents and offered to burn the Royal Dockyard at Portsmouth. He did managed to set a rope shed afire but alert workers were able to extinguish it before it could cause any real damage. John the Painter was caught and executed. He was this (USA) first use of terrorism to achieve its goal. On a more local level, the Sons of Liberty were SoBs who practiced terrorism on the Tax Collectors. Pouring boiling tea down a man's throat to dissuade him from the performance of his duties is hardly a kind act of humanity that the Dalai Llama would condone. In the Carolinas it was even worse and there was one case where the patriots roasted a Tory's feet, causing him to limp for the rest of his life. The brutality in the South was much worse than anything that happened in the Northern New England states (it must be because Washington had a firmer hand on things up north).

I'm not trying to US bash like a lot of people do, but merely reciting incidents of history that illustrate humankind's inhumanity towards itself that is sadly enough, a human tradition that transcends any national, ethnic or religious boundry.

Ross
10th October 2010, 21:34
The dark side of the America's...lots of residual dark energies here. 1492 AD when Columbus, in search of the Asian Continent, specifically India, arrived at a new land, an Island in the Caribbean. Little did they know at that time they were between two land masses well beyond the size of Europe. In a very short time the number of 'natives' to these lands, estimated at around 100 million, were slaughtered tho estimates vary from 10-30% the rest were plagued with disease, virus brought over by the spanish such as Small Pox, Infuenza and such.

Once word was out. a letter written by Columbus, sent to the Spanish Queen detailing the 'riches' of these new lands, which was translated and copied of which travelled its way around Europe, started a migration of massive proportions...this, in terms of the 'new civilisation', post ice age was the begining of the destruction of the Americas.

This 'service to self' mentality has continued from those early days and not much has changed since. These dark sides of the US, North and South America go along way way back...

Regards

Ross

Lost Soul
11th October 2010, 04:03
Thank you Ross. I certainly overlooked the Spanish history of destroying existing cultures in the new world. So much has been lost because of them. Peace to you.

Humble Janitor
11th October 2010, 04:42
The oppression of native americans and the rise of people faking native american identities is one of my biggest problems with this Republic.

Deega
11th October 2010, 21:13
Hi Lost Soul, Ross, Humble Janitor, many thanks,

Great of you to add in comments on what was US History...!, a lot of things are probably missing for we would feel overwhelmed by what we could read, and maybe at the time, it wasn't any better in other land...!

All my blessings.

Deega

Lost Soul
13th October 2010, 00:25
Humble Janitor - were you thinking of that faux academian, Ward Churchill? Heck, I can pass myself off for N-D-N but don't have a drop in my blood.

sjkted
13th October 2010, 00:35
Unfortunately, our wars in the Middle East are just business as usual. At least, this time it looks like they will be visible to far more people than ever before.

--sjkted

Deega
13th October 2010, 14:13
Humble Janitor - were you thinking of that faux academian, Ward Churchill? Heck, I can pass myself off for N-D-N but don't have a drop in my blood.

Thanks Lost Soul, may you tell about "that faux academian, Ward Churchill?".

All my blessings.

Deega

Lost Soul
14th October 2010, 02:34
Let wikipedia tell you about Ward Churchill. Ward Churchill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Churchill).

Deega
14th October 2010, 20:52
Let wikipedia tell you about Ward Churchill. Ward Churchill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Churchill).

Thanks Lost Soul for the link, pretty controversial Mr Churchill, interesting though!

All my blessings.

Deega

Fredkc
14th October 2010, 21:25
Ward Chuchill....

http://fredsitelive.com/fun/rofl.gif

Might as well ask Rosie O'Donnell about dating men.
Fred