PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes 2.0

Curt
31st January 2014, 13:33
Is it possible to buy a tomato that still tastes like a tomato? Besides at an organic farmer's market?

I can't really even remember what they're supposed to taste like at this point.

I do recall they had a discernible flavor, though, which is exactly what's missing from 'tomatoes 2.0.'

And when did all the grocers in the Western World decide to 'upgrade' to this uniformly tasteless, mealy, water-pulp?

Sure, they may stay good for nine months in the fridge, but does anybody actually want to eat them anymore?

You can still buy a watermelon or a carrot that has actual flavor. They probably have hamster dna spliced into them, like everything else we eat. But at least they have a 'taste'.

Why is it that 'Agro' left most of the other fruit and veg alone, flavor-wise. But they went after tomatoes with such a goddam vengeance?

Curt
31st January 2014, 14:07
From The Matrix, the discussion of 'Tasty Wheat'.

4trBLNCiSZE

Curt
31st January 2014, 14:38
Maybe we need to get these guys on the case:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/upload/Attack%20Of%20The%20Killer%20Tomatoes-032511.jpg

2aIXhmygh3A

TargeT
31st January 2014, 14:57
I just won't buy those light pink imitator tomatoes, luckily there's plenty of locally grown stuff down here.

once I get my own garden going (.... grrr motivation, where art tho) I'll be set!

FYI canned tomatoes taste better... whats up with THAT?

Curt
31st January 2014, 15:15
You're a lucky man if you can get the good stuff locally. And you're right, canned tomatoes do taste better than the pink, watery things they claim are 'fresh'.

I know the whole flavour issue may seem a tad trivial to people- especially in light of what else is going on in the world.

But, I think it's a good example of how people are being slowly robbed, of small things (like the taste of fresh produce) and 'larger' things, ( like their civil liberties, and their freedoms.)

Edit: It's like all the 'substance' is being leached out of various systems: food, education, the economy, culture, humanity as a whole.

I'm not a fan of this incremental, tip-toe transformation of our world.

By this point, all the gradual 'quantitative' changes have resulted in 'qualititave' changes. So lots more people are noticing.

And the tomatoes are now no longer tomatoes, but something else.

And eventually, with enough changes to humanity, we won't be 'human' anymore, either. We'll be something else. For good or bad.

I just won't buy those light pink imitator tomatoes, luckily there's plenty of locally grown stuff down here.

once I get my own garden going (.... grrr motivation, where art tho) I'll be set!

FYI canned tomatoes taste better... whats up with THAT?

Carmody
31st January 2014, 15:44
The soils are empty of the nutrients required to get correct plant growth, and too few people know how to correct it.

Nestled within the correct full spectrum 'atomic table' balance of the soil, is the flavour you seek.

Azomite is one of the great soil additives that can bring soil back to life. It can also work quite well in hydroponic systems.

79 different elements are in azomite. other volcanic or glacial additive mixes get close to azomite but nothing is known to be as complete as azomite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azomite

Carmody
31st January 2014, 16:01
Azomite is minded from the sediments of the lakebed from which the great salt lake was formed. As well as the volcanic ash as a component.

I speak of how important the great salt lake is and how powerful the ley lines are, how they enable dimensional energetic transfer. How potent people born in those zones can be. how alien or similar underground bases tend to be in such potent areas, not just due to dimensional crossing ability but like a source of radiant energy. how atomic vortexes are formed and how they gate energy.

This is all covered, for the most part, in the lithium thread. I'm going to go over to that thread right now, as quite a few photos in that thread (and other threads) were imported from the net and purposely kept here on the forum server, so they would not get 'lost' if websites went down.

My photo cache on the forum is all screwed up and it tells me that I have none, even though my allotment of Mb for photos is nearly full. 4 pages of images are missing or inaccessible.

The reason I mention this is that I cannot show you the photo I took of the great salt lake area, the ley line connections to the great salt lake, as I cannot access that image I created.

william r sanford72
31st January 2014, 16:29
I havnt sold at the local Farmers market in 4 years.at that time if i was to raise prices above the local Gmart..i would of been hard pressed to sell...50 to 25 cent per tom was fair.esp..if the other vendors were selling about the same thing around me.inspired and feeling charged enough to try again..i started going back to the local fm markets to see if i stood a chance.. and to my delight i couldnt find a fresh picked tom for sail for less than dollar..even toward the end of season.and often albias market vendors were selling out all year.2013.people are coming around..orange and yellow toms..they were my secret weapon.i sold the hella outta them.also isnt there some history on ol..tom..liken it to beeing an evil fruit at one time in are history..??..Killer Post.
truth always.
william.

TargeT
31st January 2014, 16:31
I speak of how important the great salt lake is and how powerful the ley lines are, how they enable dimensional energetic transfer. How potent people born in those zones can be. how alien or similar underground bases tend to be in such potent areas, not just due to dimensional crossing ability but like a source of radiant energy. how atomic vortexes are formed and how they gate energy..

so what your telling me is... I'm wasting my potential... (haha)

This is (coincidentally or not) the same source for the trace mineral supplements by Dr Joe Wallach (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?41572-Why-do-couch-potatoes-live-longer-than-athletes-Dr-Joel-Wallach); very interesting.

liken it to beeing an evil fruit at one time in are history..??.
william.

well tomatoes are a part of the Nightshade family (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62)... which is possibly why?

Dennis Leahy
31st January 2014, 16:32
Soft things don't ship well, and so all of the soft fruits and vegetables are picked early, before they have had a chance to thoroughly ripen. I'm confident that the exact same tomatoes, peaches, plums, etc. that are mealy, tasteless, pseudo-food would have been tasty if left to mature. So, I don't think it is the genetics (mostly.) Where genetics comes into play (and this is true of organics as well), is that breeders have selected for soft fruits and vegetables that have more fiber and break down more slowly - for transportation. Those varieties do not taste as good, even if "vine ripened." I can't remember the variety of strawberries in my garden, but they are sweet and juicy, and can barely handle a ride home from my (community) garden to my home before becoming bruised. You'll never see that variety - not even at farmer's markets - because they would not sell.

Carmody hit upon the secret of food going from "tasty" to "orgasmically tasty." Micro-nutrients. I am also intrigued about experiments with "structured water", and I suspect that the most magical thing it does is to bring more micro-nutrients into the plant.

Oh, and Curtis, you're right, it doesn't seem like much when compared to the big things, but is a piece of the insidious puzzle. Food devoid of (or with a dearth of) nutrients does not feed our brains and bodies, and keeps up from living at an optimal level. Your taste buds (that know better) are an early-warning system to alert you to food lacking nutrients. Imagine people who grew up having never tasted real food - they don't even have a basis for comparison.

Dennis

GreenGuy
31st January 2014, 16:34
Tomatoes are one of those things I very seldom buy any more. I live in ag country. There's a ketchup plant in my town, so at certain times of the year one of the common sights is trucks and trucks, all filled with tomatoes. I grow my own, and the tomatoes from my garden are so delicious I can pick and eat them like an apple (another commodity that has lost all its flavor). However my tomatoes would only stay fresh in the grocer's bin for a day or two. They're good, healthful, but not commercially viable.

When I was a kid everybody had a garden. You can even grow food on an apartment patio. Growing food is like printing money! We'd be in real trouble without our garden. You can still obtain heirloom seeds - called that because people have preserved these varieties, sometimes for centuries. We owe it to the earth and our grandchildren to carry on this tradition.

Curt
31st January 2014, 16:37
Glad to hear you're inspired to give it another shot. Go and sell the hell out of those babies!

Put up a big sign that says, 'Tomatoes that taste like tomatoes!'.

All the heirloom varieties look great and taste great too.

Good luck, my friend!

I havnt sold at the local Farmers market in 4 years.at that time if i was to raise prices above the local Gmart..i would of been hard pressed to sell...50 to 25 cent per tom was fair.esp..if the other vendors were selling about the same thing around me.inspired and feeling charged enough to try again..i started going back to the local fm markets to see if i stood a chance.. and to my delight i couldnt find a fresh picked tom for sail for less than dollar..even toward the end of season.and often albias market vendors were selling out all year.2013.people are coming around..orange and yellow toms..they were my secret weapon.i sold the hella outta them.also isnt there some history on ol..tom..liken it to beeing an evil fruit at one time in are history..??..Killer Post.
truth always.
william.

TargeT
31st January 2014, 16:38
Carmody hit upon the secret of food going from "tasty" to "orgasmically tasty." Micro-nutrients. I am also intrigued about experiments with "structured water", and I suspect that the most magical thing it does is to bring more micro-nutrients into the plant.
Dennis

I'm very interested in mixing in magnetic fields as well.. I think magnetism is highly under-rated and under-used. Perhaps all 3 mixed together?

correct fertilization boarders on alchemist practices, both in method and resulting product.

AZomite source (http://www.amazon.com/44-Pounds-Azomite-Essential-Minerals/dp/B00AJVEKFQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1391186743&sr=1-4&keywords=Azomite+Powder)

Curt
31st January 2014, 16:45
@ Dennis: Amen, brother. You hit the nail on the head. They've been bred to be tough so they can be shipped. And they've been picked too early. Wrecks the texture and taste. And taste is an indication of the nutritional content. So, we should listen to our taste buds.

@ Carmody: I sense I've stumbled upon a larger issue here, with the specific nutrients involved (or not involved, sadly) in growing our produce.

@ Greenguy: 100% agree. And I should do the same and grow as much of my own veggies as possible. Where I am has very rich volcanic soil. But very little sunshine.

Carmody
Dennis

I'm very interested in mixing in magnetic fields as well.. I think magnetism is highly under-rated and under-used. Perhaps all 3 mixed together?

correct fertilization boarders on alchemist practices, both in method and resulting product.

Yes, same as the body. same-same.

charged water, correct light spectrum, correct soil with the correct atomic element mix.

I've been flirting with the idea of all this, in the making of my own spirulina.

Azomite mix in the water, charged water in the tank, LED light spectrum that is specifically targeted, etc...

meat suit
Azomite is minded from the sediments of the lakebed from which the great salt lake was formed. As well as the volcanic ash as a component.

I speak of how important the great salt lake is and how powerful the ley lines are, how they enable dimensional energetic transfer. How potent people born in those zones can be. how alien or similar underground bases tend to be in such potent areas, not just due to dimensional crossing ability but like a source of radiant energy. how atomic vortexes are formed and how they gate energy.

This is all covered, for the most part, in the lithium thread. I'm going to go over to that thread right now, as quite a few photos in that thread (and other threads) were imported from the net and purposely kept here on the forum server, so they would not get 'lost' if websites went down.

My photo cache on the forum is all screwed up and it tells me that I have none, even though my allotment of Mb for photos is nearly full. 4 pages of images are missing or inaccessible.

The reason I mention this is that I cannot show you the photo I took of the great salt lake area, the ley line connections to the great salt lake, as I cannot access that image I created.

that Azomite sounds interesting, I will get some and see if I can break some M-state (Ormus) out of it...

I hope your photo situation can get sorted .........

Carmody
31st January 2014, 16:48

that Azomite sounds interesting, I will get some and see if I can break some M-state (Ormus) out of it...

I hope your photo situation can get sorted .........

It should be very possible to break ormus out of it. Not damaging it's vitality when breaking it out is probably the greater trick to accomplish.

Consider that they are now talking about vast oceans and seas of water being in the mantle of the earth, deep below.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/5792/20140127/oceans-worth-water-trapped-beneath-earths-mantle.htm

Imagine what that water would be like, if it was created and stored in the exact location of the earth's mantle where this intense ley line nexus point is. The perfect spot for an underground base. Deep below the great salt lake. Pure alchemy.

Carmody
31st January 2014, 17:10
The other point, is if you suspect a coming major meltdown, where you'll be growing your own food, for a few years. then you'll probably want a source of good strong plant food for yourself and possibly the ability to grow strong good plants indoors, as well.

A bag or two of azomite is an excellent way of assuring your own and your family's health. It's quite the insurance policy. especially since immune system buffering is a major component that will be required. Lack of access to good food and also the Fukushima cesium accumulation issue. The cesium is ending up in plants due to the nano-distribution of the cesium, and the plants which are the most healthy for you are also accumulating the cesium to the greatest degree, as cesium uptake is tied to potassium uptake. Things like Kale are ending up with high accumulations of cesium due to this, as they have tremendous capacity and affinity for potassium uptake.

With Azomite, you can chose and control your own soil or hydroponic mix, and obtain extremely high growth and nutrient balance... and thus control or limit the cesium uptake in your plant growth and harvest. thus increasing your ability to avoid the slowly cumulative issues of cesium uptake from the continual Fukushima problem. a cesium accumulation problem that will probably not decrease in intensity for quite a few years, decades, most likely.

bruno dante
31st January 2014, 17:35
Not a trivial concern at all Curtis! I love tomatoes.

I eat locally grown, organic grape tomatoes (small ones). I enjoy chopping them up and eating them with crumbly, raw garganzola cheese. It's the best.

We might have to do a tomato intent experiment for you dude;)

PurpleLama
31st January 2014, 17:59
The soils are empty of the nutrients required to get correct plant growth, and too few people know how to correct it.

Nestled within the correct full spectrum 'atomic table' balance of the soil, is the flavour you seek.

Azomite is one of the great soil additives that can bring soil back to life. It can also work quite well in hydroponic systems.

79 different elements are in azomite. other volcanic or glacial additive mixes get close to azomite but nothing is known to be as complete as azomite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azomite

Ah, but what we really want for straight to the garden application is Agricolas 4-8-4 (http://soilminerals.com/), as it contains azomite with several other mineral sources that are all chock full of trace elements, along with the acids, bacteria, and fungi to get the good ionic action going on that would be the basis for healthy, organic soil. Some of the trace element sources in the product are ready to absorb, and others will break down over different spans of time. This year, I mixed azomite with leonardite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardite) to add to the gardens, and to give away.

sirdipswitch
31st January 2014, 21:03
Go through the veggie section of your local maket and pick up some those tomatos with a little piece of "vine" sitll attatched to them. Then go through the "sugar" section and pick up a bag of Raw Sugar. It will be in a brown paper bag, and "say" Raw Sugar". (It's still full of those ever so good vitamins and minerals we need. yep) When you get home, find a small bowl and fill it with distilled water. put two table spoons of Raw Sugar in the water and stir till completely dissovled. Now put your tomatos on top, with a couple of pencils or somethin to keep your tomatos out of the water. Place bowl in windowsill, where it will get sunlight, and allow them to ripen further, while they suck up more nutrition from the water. It helps also, if you cut a quarter inch off the end of the vine, to open it up so it can suck up more water.

Ya just gotta think faster than TPTB, to keep ahead of them. chuckle chuckle.

Milneman
31st January 2014, 21:57
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Everything you need to know about the secrets of the universe can be learned by growing your own tomatoes.

I've been working for eight years at improving my soil quality organically. When I started it was sand. You should see it now. Long ways to go, but still....that's the fight worth fighting. ;)

Heaven = the taste of a tomato warmed on the vine, juices running down your chin. Only thing better is between two slices of fresh white bread with just a touch of fresh ground pepper.

PurpleLama
31st January 2014, 22:08

Everything you need to know about the secrets of the universe can be learned by growing your own tomatoes.

I've been working for eight years at improving my soil quality organically. When I started it was sand. You should see it now. Long ways to go, but still....that's the fight worth fighting. ;)

Heaven = the taste of a tomato warmed on the vine, juices running down your chin. Only thing better is between two slices of fresh white bread with just a touch of fresh ground pepper.

I was with you, until you said "white bread". My confidence in you is shattered.

Milneman
31st January 2014, 22:14

I was with you, until you said "white bread". My confidence in you is shattered.

Ok, ok...whole wheat. :D Even better cooked in an old fire-clay oven. There's a harvest festival near where I live where I used to go as a kid with my parents/grandparents...they'd fire up the old threshing machines n' stuff, and bake bread in the old clay and brick fire oven. Just ignore the white bit. :)

PurpleLama
31st January 2014, 23:43
Too late, now. My perception is forever changed. You will always be the white bread eater, in my mind. Hey, it could be worse.

sirdipswitch
31st January 2014, 23:57

Ok, ok...whole wheat. :D Even better cooked in an old fire-clay oven. There's a harvest festival near where I live where I used to go as a kid with my parents/grandparents...they'd fire up the old threshing machines n' stuff, and bake bread in the old clay and brick fire oven. Just ignore the white bit. :)

White Bread??? Geesh, how long you been on this forum???

Saskatchewan??? ain't you never had Moose Jaw - Beer Bread??? chuckle chuckle.

Try that with yer Maters.

I put Real Mayo on one slice and sweet "hot" mustard on the other slice, with my mater a half inch thick, on my homemade, (yep, I make my own.) Beer Bread!!! sooo goood...

And sometimes I do it with Rye, instead of 100% Whole Wheat. mmmm.

Geeesh, now I gotta go to the store, I'm outta Rye. chuckle chuckle chuckle:wizard:

DeDukshyn
1st February 2014, 00:12
Double thanks man!! (of the OP)

It is one of my major pet peeves! I WANT tomatoes, but those things in the store that look like them taste like semi rigid pasty dry water things with a hint of bitterness. WTF? I want tomatoes back! :) There's a few other fruits and vegetables I could add to the list. Carrots comes to mind ...

DeDukshyn
1st February 2014, 00:15

Secretly, I'm partly supporting your white bread comment. Only because my grandma made the ultimate white buns ... ohh man .. sooo good. (German Mennonite - they seriously make the best tasting foods)

GreenGuy
1st February 2014, 01:16
There's a few other fruits and vegetables I could add to the list. Carrots comes to mind ...

How about apples? I seldom buy those mushy, mealy things. Some years back I went to a reunion on a large farm in Missouri, where they had an apple orchard and pressed their own cider. OMG! Apples really can taste good! I do buy produce that doesn't come from my garden, but there's just no way a store can stock great-tasting, healthy food like you can grow yourself.

I was at the store and looked at the tag on the tomatoes there. They were grown in Chile! Now, you know if they just picked 'em and put 'em in a box and flew 'em up here, a lot of them would be crushed or rotted. They have to take measures to prevent that, and every measure takes something away from the flavor and the nutrition. Also, this is winter. Tomatoes aren't in season in the northern hemisphere. We can enhance our nutrition by staying seasonal whenever possible.

DeDukshyn
1st February 2014, 02:38
There's a few other fruits and vegetables I could add to the list. Carrots comes to mind ...

How about apples? I seldom buy those mushy, mealy things. Some years back I went to a reunion on a large farm in Missouri, where they had an apple orchard and pressed their own cider. OMG! Apples really can taste good! I do buy produce that doesn't come from my garden, but there's just no way a store can stock great-tasting, healthy food like you can grow yourself.

I was at the store and looked at the tag on the tomatoes there. They were grown in Chile! Now, you know if they just picked 'em and put 'em in a box and flew 'em up here, a lot of them would be crushed or rotted. They have to take measures to prevent that, and every measure takes something away from the flavor and the nutrition. Also, this is winter. Tomatoes aren't in season in the northern hemisphere. We can enhance our nutrition by staying seasonal whenever possible.

They say that apples in this age, have LESS than HALF the nutrients of apples from ~100 years ago. From the constant pesticide contamination and poorly rendered soil, to the selection and GMO engineering, for more and more profitable crops ...

Carmody
1st February 2014, 05:20
good luck getting a real McIntosh apple these days. too many cross breeds, almost no real mac trees left.

Mike Gorman
1st February 2014, 08:46
Is it possible to buy a tomato that still tastes like a tomato? Besides at an organic farmer's market?

I can't really even remember what they're supposed to taste like at this point.

I do recall they had a discernible flavor, though, which is exactly what's missing from 'tomatoes 2.0.'

And when did all the grocers in the Western World decide to 'upgrade' to this uniformly tasteless, mealy, water-pulp?

Sure, they may stay good for nine months in the fridge, but does anybody actually want to eat them anymore?

You can still buy a watermelon or a carrot that has actual flavor. They probably have hamster dna spliced into them, like everything else we eat. But at least they have a 'taste'.

Why is it that 'Agro' left most of the other fruit and veg alone, flavor-wise. But they went after tomatoes with such a goddam vengeance?

:cool:

http://blog.just-eat.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/la-tomatino.jpg

Indeed sir, unless you purchase those Tomatoes on the 'vine' which seem to have a little more flavor-but i recall also the tomatoes of my childhood having a distinctive flavor .
It is the same with Apples, I have not been able to find a decent crunchy, juicy flavorsome Apple for years, they are uniformly mealy, floury, tasteless-whatever happened to Cox's Pippins,
Orange Pippins, Bramley, Genuine Granny Smiths...it saddens me because I used to love Apples.

GreenGuy
1st February 2014, 16:51
They say that apples in this age, have LESS than HALF the nutrients of apples from ~100 years ago. From the constant pesticide contamination and poorly rendered soil, to the selection and GMO engineering, for more and more profitable crops ...

I'd have to search for a link, but I have read that spinach contains 1/8 the nutrition that was present right after WWII. Partly this is due to soil depletion, and partly to factory farming methods that are heavy on fertilizers.

There's an interesting war connection here. After the Civil War, munitions manufacturers were left with no market for their products, and a large stockpile of nitrites and other ingredients for explosives. What came out of that was the invention of nitrocellulose lacquer, probably the best wood finish ever created, that was the standard for high-end furniture finishes for most of the 20th century.

After WWII, munitions companies had the same dilemma. What came out of it this time was the development of nitrate-based fertilizers, which revolutionized American agriculture. Both nitrocullulose and nitrates in fertilizer have strong drawbacks. With lacquer, it's the volatile organic compounds which are toxic and contribute to air pollution. With fertilizers, there's the problem of groundwater pollution and also the fact that the synthetic compounds in the soil that produce fast-growing plants also produce plants with diminished nutritional content.

778 neighbour of some guy
1st February 2014, 16:58
Just ignore the white bit.

That's racist, pray doughboy doesn't bake you in your sleep:mamba:

;)

Ki's
1st February 2014, 17:22
Grow your own. Black Prince tomatoes...an heirloom variety that comes from Siberia are the most delicious tomato I've ever eaten. Seeds can be purchased from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.
They are a deep red (almost chocolate brown) color.

Last summer I grew so many tomatoes, I was giving them away at work (after I and three of my grown children had canned all of our winter needs) Almost everyone who tasted them ended up saving seeds to grow their own next spring.
Tomatoes are easy to grow and easy to can. They can be grown in a pot on your patio.
I grow organically and never till my beds. I add falls leaves, let them compost over winter and rotate what I grow from bed to bed.
You have to grow your own if your looking for flavor.

Johnny
1st February 2014, 18:25

Too late, now. My perception is forever changed. You will always be the white bread eater, in my mind. Hey, it could be worse.

Poor poor Milneman, but I have to give PurpletLama right, you have been the cause to bad bad pictures in my head. It will take many beers to remove them in a gently way :) but maybe with a 1 inch beef under the tomato slices :)

Johnny

Johnny
1st February 2014, 18:40
BTW A good nutrition for tomatoes, leeks and other things, is a soup of nettles. You just collect lots of nettles (the 'burning' ones) put them in a big bucket with water and after a couple of days, maybe a week, you can take 1/10 soup and remainder of water and give your plants that mixture, but it smells not so good, until you've tasted your crops, THEN (maybe) you will like the smell :)

Johnny
edit forgot you have to stir the soup every day or so until it is ready

Nenuphar
1st February 2014, 18:49
I agree with Ki. :) I started gardening more or less by accident, when I grew three containers of heirloom tomatoes for a the first time several years ago. "Carbon" tomatoes. When I bit into the first ripe one, it was so delicious, my eyes watered. I was hooked on gardening, and hooked on heirloom vegetables. We have a very short growing season (zone 2a) but we take advantage of it. Many more containers to grow in, and most of our front lawn is now garden. We'll never be featured in Better Homes and Gardens magazine, but it gives me a lot of pleasure and also helps to save on the grocery bills. A garden, no matter how small, is definitely worth the effort. :cool:

What I found weird is that some years, when we had more tomatoes, herbs, parsnips, leeks, kale, etc than we can use, I have offered it to friends and former coworkers and had almost no takers. Some have declined because they "don't know what to do with it" (e.g., the kale and leeks). Others have said "No, thanks, I'll just pick up a few tomatoes when I'm shopping after work". Would people really rather pay for crappy, cookie cutter, GMO, tasteless vegetables than accept free, organic, slightly imperfect looking heirloom ones? I thought I was living in the Twilight Zone until I offered some to a few of my clients, who gratefully and enthusiastically accepted.

Grow your own. Black Prince tomatoes...an heirloom variety that comes from Siberia are the most delicious tomato I've ever eaten. Seeds can be purchased from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.
They are a deep red (almost chocolate brown) color.

You have to grow your own if your looking for flavor.

Milneman
1st February 2014, 21:09
I have a thought.

I have, somewhere, a collection of heirloom tomato seeds. Anyone want some if I can dig them out? I'm not going to use all of them.

Ah...wait...I bet they'll snag them at the border.

Damn the illuminati, taking away my tomatoes.

Bastardes! *spit* :D

camper
4th February 2014, 01:22
There's nothing like a Michigan tomato in the summertime.

GreenGuy
8th February 2014, 02:55
BTW A good nutrition for tomatoes, leeks and other things, is a soup of nettles.

Nettles are awesome! I'm delighted to have a patch growing in the corner of my garden this year. Nettles make a great soup for humans, too! Nettles have a great taste, rather like spinach, and they are very high in minerals and vitamins. They're high in silicon, which makes them good for your joints. It also makes nettles a good ingredient for shampoos and soaps. The sting comes from microscopic hairs on the leaves and stems that are filled with formic acid. If you stroke the leaf from stem to tip, you can pick the leaf and pop it right into your mouth without getting stung. And the sting disappears when the plant is dried or cooked. Try a tomato-nettle bisque, and you'll be sold on forage plants!