PDA

View Full Version : Excecution of Marius at Copenhagen Zoo

telemark
9th February 2014, 11:15
I am absolutely disgusted with the killing of a young and healthy giraffe at Copenhagen Zoo despite offers from other zoo's to take the animal.
They sighted everything the Nazi's used to kill millions as the reason for their killing of the animal. Has no one learned anything from history.
I think Copenhagen Zoo is no better than those who sought to ethnically cleanse others in our recent history.
SHAME ON YOU. I will never visit your zoo.

Telemark

Mike Gorman
9th February 2014, 11:30
Whoa, they killed a baby Giraffe? This is completely opposing the very reason for Zoos-they must have rationalists in management.
Appalling!

sheme
9th February 2014, 11:35
Last I heard he was going to a safari park here in UK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26098935

Azt
9th February 2014, 12:13
How about the giraffe has a chance to reborn free and in the wild now... Sometimes, human think they are in "control" of the animals but might be the other way around....

Operator
9th February 2014, 12:31
despite offers from other zoo's to take the animal.

In a Dutch version of this new article they claimed they have done everything possible to find another zoo
but none would take him. Well, if this sets the trend of our current management thinking guess what they
will do with us that they consider as being 'useless eaters'.

The term disgusted is too mild in this case IMHO.

ghostrider
9th February 2014, 14:44
despite offers from other zoo's to take the animal.

In a Dutch version of this new article they claimed they have done everything possible to find another zoo
but none would take him. Well, if this sets the trend of our current management thinking guess what they
will do with us that they consider as being 'useless eaters'.

The term disgusted is too mild in this case IMHO.

Here is an idea , why not return the animal to Africa and set it free instead of killing it ??? if humans stay out of the way , nature can take care of itself far better ...

Johnny
9th February 2014, 14:53
Here are a couple of press releases translated by Google Translate:

he young and by now world-famous giraffe Marius Copenhagen Zoo is Sunday morning killed .

Read also now writes the BBC and Swedish media also giraffe Marius

The park's guests will now have the opportunity to be present at the autopsy of the giraffe before the animal becomes food for carnivores in the zoo .

- It has gone according to plan . If people want , they can attend the autopsy from 10 am , said communications officer Tobias StenbŠk Bro .

Read the Copenhagen Zoo: Want to avoid the killing of giraffe

The killing took place at stunning, and the giraffe was then shot with a captive bolt pistol .
Zoo had to euthanize the giraffe

The giraffe is inbred , and because of European legislation Copenhagen Zoo have to kill Marius . Because of the breeding program , the zoo unable to release the giraffe or transfer it to other zoos , even if the animal is nothing wrong .

Media from across Europe in recent days written about Marius - both BBC and The Independent newspaper , Swedish Expressen and AFP .

More people have expressed outrage that the giraffe had to be killed , and on Facebook , among other things set up support groups in honor of the beast.

/ REUTERS /

Copenhagen Zoo: Want to avoid the killing of giraffe

It is not of good will that the giraffe Marius today at 10 am to be killed in the Copenhagen Zoo. Instead, try to get the best out of the situation by a subsequent autopsy.

So says scientific director at Copenhagen Zoo Bengt Holst . He explains the killing of the animal park is part of a European breeding program for giraffes and other animals , which helps to set the framework for the stock.

- In such a breeding program will always have the opportunity to take some profits. At some point in the program , the total population will be saturated , and so one must accept that there is any to be separated.
Natural behavior leads to the large population

Because of the breeding program , the Copenhagen Zoo unable to release the giraffe or transfer it to other zoos , even if the animal is nothing wrong .

That it has come to a point where giraffe population is too large, because according to Bengt Holst, the Copenhagen Zoo has a firm policy that animals should be allowed to breed with the natural ranges, as they also breed with the outdoors.

- It is simply to allow them to exercise as much natural behavior . If we do not allow them to breed by either giving them the pill or sterilize them or perhaps by keeping males and females apart , we'll take much of their behavior from them.
Killed today

The scientific director did not feel that the animal park can take the natural behavior of the animals , because the Copenhagen Zoo in this way would really make inroads on their behavior.

- We want to avoid a situation like the one we are in now , says Bengt Holst on Sunday killing .

- The beast sleeps quietly in, so there is no suffering associated with it for the animal concerned . It is us who have feelings trapped in this context.

The killing will take place today at 10 am at the stunning and then use a nail gun . Then, park visitors have the opportunity to be present at the autopsy of the giraffe .

/ REUTERS /

Johnny

Operator
9th February 2014, 16:00
Here is an idea , why not return the animal to Africa and set it free instead of killing it ??? if humans stay out of the way , nature can take care of itself far better ...

That same thought crossed my mind too ... :thumb:

One element that puzzles me still though is why was an autopsy performed ?

Johnny
9th February 2014, 16:46

Instead, try to get the best out of the situation by a subsequent autopsy.

Please don't hang the messenger :) I don't like zoos myself.

Johnny

Operator
9th February 2014, 17:45

Johnny

Sorry if you perceived it that way, not my intention ...
It was a real question and maybe some other readers of similar articles have found more clues on this.
They didn't have to do an autopsy to find out what killed him ...

What amazed me is that they invited the public to watch the autopsy. It sounds ritualistic to me.
Especially butchering it and then feed it to the lions. Doesn't sound like a caring zoo at all.

Johnny
9th February 2014, 18:51

Johnny

It was a real question and maybe some other readers of similar articles have found more clues on this.

What amazed me is that they invited the public to watch the autopsy. It sounds ritualistic to me.
Especially butchering it and then feed it to the lions. Doesn't sound like a caring zoo at all.

I didn't perceived it that way, but I couldn't know with my answer to you :)

Here is some more about the subject (Google translation):

Zoo director gets death threats

The case of the giraffe Marius, who this morning killed at Copenhagen zoo, has led some people to react very violently.

The eighteen -year-old giraffe Marius was this morning killed at Copenhagen Zoo for a scenario where a lot of people tried to get the rescue.

This was done through a Facebook group and inquiries to the zoo, and some crested the strong feelings .

- I have been beaten to death many times over last night and tonight, says Bengt Holst, who is scientific director at the Copenhagen Zoo, the many death threats he has received in the last day.

English park would take Marius

The death threats come from people who are outraged by the killing of Marius , who are both healthy. The killing was due to space constraints and is standard practice in the situation.

- It is run anything up to a point , this, assess Bengt Holst .

One reason for the fierce anger is that Yorkshire Wildlife Park in the UK has reportedly offered to take Marius . It confirms Bengt Holst, but says that Marius's genetics are not compatible with the giraffes, who are already in the English park .

For there are nine sub- breeds of giraffes and they can not interfere .

Here is another one:

Sunday 's life ended for the giraffe Marius . The long animals are euthanized at Copenhagen Zoo because of European laws on inbreeding and lack of space .

Both slaughter and the subsequent resurrection with, among other petitions attract attention outside the country .

- Marius die

The British media giant BBC says so that animal rights activists call the killing barbaric.

At the same time telling the BBC that deputy CEO Bengt Holst Copenhagen Zoo has a hard time understanding the reactions , because for example in Denmark is shot hundreds of deer to keep the deer population down.

Svenska Dagbladet writes also about the Danish debate , while Aftonbladet angles directly to slaughter and spends much more dramatic detail in their article that has been given the title " The Giraffe Marius die on Sunday ."
The meat thrown to the tigers

Marius do not get anesthetic but is killed with a captive bolt pistol , because the meat is used to feed the tigers and lions . Copenhagen Zoo invites interested to come and attend the autopsy on Sunday morning.

- We have all seen a live giraffe, and it is a great and mighty pricey, but it 's something else to see how it looks before in. There are many fascinating parts of this giraffe , said zoo director to Ekstra Bladet .

The Swedish media Expressen has previously said that Fr÷s÷ Zoo in Sweden has offered to take Marius in their garden . It offers the Copenhagen Zoo does not intend to accept .

Copenhagen Zoo debunks each year between 20 and 30 so-called surplus animals .

Johnny

giovonni
9th February 2014, 18:53
Yes i just saw this very disturbing video this morning ... ****ing Psychopaths !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzVxX8vCbYI

ghostrider
9th February 2014, 18:57

Johnny

low vibration earth humans still love to watch blood and guts , sad ...what can one learn by carving up a dead animal that we don't already know inside and out , posted , filmed , photographed , lectured about , books written , documentaries , ect ... creating life brings feelings of wonder , taking life only brings feelings of sorrow ... madmen feed their sorrow by creating more sorrow and death ...

ghostrider
9th February 2014, 19:03
Yes i just saw this very disturbing video this morning ... ****ing Psychopaths !

put the man in place of the animal , would they stand and watch ??? or would they say that's horrible , how could you do such a thing ??? One of natures beautiful creatures used to feed the man's ego and entertain the public , sick ... may they be forgiven for they know not what they do

Ecnal61
9th February 2014, 19:23
truly disgusting and unnecessary

Johnny
9th February 2014, 19:25
put the man in place of the animal , would they stand and watch ??? ......

They did in the old days !!!!

And I do not defend the incident !!

Johnny

giovonni
9th February 2014, 19:32
put the man in place of the animal , would they stand and watch ??? ......

They did in the old days !!!!

And I do not defend the incident !!

Johnny

quote from a animal rights friend in Poland ... "psychopaths...they are everywhere" ... :(

Operator
9th February 2014, 19:37

Would you believe that ? Kids front row ! let's carve up a cadaver ... sick !

Ellisa
10th February 2014, 07:30
The whole affair is disgusting. I can understand not wanting to breed from this animal because there is a lot of his genetic material in the herd already, but why do they not sterilise him? I always sterilise my pets as I think it is humane and stops the birth of kittens and puppies who are born to die. Regardless of how you perceive spaying or neutering your pets, it has to be better than chopping Marius up in front of a crowd of CHILDREN! What were the Danes thinking?

Cidersomerset
10th February 2014, 09:24
It makes you wonder what hits the news.....They usually call it a cull or something
in this case population control due to "excessive violent behaviour"
I'm sure six cubs could have been rehoused somewhere else in the world or let
into the wild release programme ? I understand in these type of artificial
enviroments populations have to be controlled, but this does seem callous and a
better solution should have been found.

================================================== ==

Driver films Longleat's lions on recent visit to the park

1XFhh3PuYm4

Published on 9 Feb 2014

Outrage as lioness and cubs that were the pride of staff allowed Longleat leaving in
tears Henry the Lion, the Louisa lioness and four cubs died last month Heads said
Longleat lions were becoming violent and dangerous Employees wept when they
learned what had become of the beloved animals

Six lions at Longleat Safari Park have been put down , prompting outrage among
officials say there was no obvious reason for animals for slaughter .An adult male
named Henry, a lioness named Louisa and four of her cubs were
sentenced to death last month in a veterinary -supervised operation.

Bosses at the safari park in Wiltshire estate Marquess of Bath insist that the
decision was made due to " health risks after an increase in population led to
violent behavior .But former employees of the lion reserve have wondered whether
animals should have been destroyed, and revealed that some employees were
crying when they found out what had happened .

Lions are one of the biggest attractions at Longleat, which opened in 1966 as the
first safari wildlife park in Britain.Less than three weeks ago , members of the pride
were photographed famous Longleat playing happily in the park, with a jump of 30
feet from an oak tree , landing on all fours with a precision that astonished the
spectators.

An informant told The Mail on Sunday that the lions were injected with a lethal
substance of a tranquilizer gun.Former workers lion reserve have wondered if the
animals were destroyed 3 Former workers lion reserve have wondered if the
animals were destroyedVisitors were offered no explanation for the absence of lions
yesterday when the park reopened after the long winter break .

Louisa came in 2011 from its former home in Ark Zoo Farm in Wraxall Noah in
Somerset.He soon became part of a new pride and a mother to a litter of puppies -
and a close associate of another mother for the first time Nikata .A care manager
newcomers at the time spoke of how the couple enjoyed rough and tumble games
with her cubs - who weighed only two pounds at birth - and seemed very protective
of her offspring .

Zoo spokesman Noah's Ark said yesterday: " We are told nothing Aside from health
problems , I can not think of any other reason why a lion as Louisa would have to
be sacrificed Longleat We will contact for more information. . . '

One of the most important experts in the world big cats , veterinary consultant
John Knight , said he was puzzled . ' In view of this, this seems a strange thing to
do. Longleat not make a decision so lightly because they know how much they
could alter their caregivers.

Based in Guernsey Mr. Knight, whose career includes consulting work with the
World Wildlife Fund and the Born Free Foundation, said . " This could be part of a
conservation program is a questionable reason to quell a lioness and her puppies,
but until the details emerge is difficult to understand their thinking .

' Most zoos have a contraceptive program in place and manage to control
populations of perfection.

" That's why this seems a bit strange, in a way. 's That is not a problem that most
zoos experience. Seems a shame that so many young animals have participated ."

Another big cat expert , Andrew Greenwood of the International Zoo Vet Group ,
said zoos had to restrict breeding.

' Lions occupy space and zoos not always they want, " he said. ' Put the animal is
not a welfare issue , as long as it is done properly According to the complainant ,
Henry was put down in early January . The former employee said : ' I do not think
there was a reason to. It had been vasectomy could not reproduce. Henry could
have been sold to another zoo.

" All this while the park was closed for the winter , so no one knew what was going
on. A lot of people who know what happened are very upset and angry .

Longleat A spokesman said last night: "There has been a large increase in
pregnancies among the lions , resulting in an increase of 40 per cent of the
population This has resulted in an excessive violent behavior, putting 21 of them in
situation . risk .

' Unfortunately one lion, Henry , had to be put down earlier this year due to injuries
from an attack within the enclosure. The new lions mentioned were put down
because of the risk of severe health partners .

' Five more Lions this room will move to other premises. Longleat takes the utmost
care to try to protect the safety and welfare of all animals.

================================================== ======
http://static.bbci.co.uk/frameworks/barlesque/2.59.11/desktop/3.5/img/blq-blocks_grey_alpha.png

9 February 2014 Last updated at 12:55

Six Longleat Safari Park lions destroyed due to violenceLions at Longleat Longleat
Safari Park said a spate of pregnancies had led to a 40% increase in lion numbers
causing "excessive violent behaviour"
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Longleat chief executive suspended
Lion cubs make first appearance
The lion with a head for heights

Six lions at Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire have been destroyed by staff after a
large increase in population.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/72856000/jpg/_72856362_flyinglionsoflongleattwopicianturner.jpg

A spokesman said a spate of pregnancies had led to a 40% increase in lion
numbers causing "excessive violent behaviour".

The safari park confirmed the move on its Facebook page after the Mail on Sunday
reported staff were "outraged".

Longleat said it took "the utmost care in trying to protect the welfare and safety of
all our animals".

It said one lion was destroyed after being injured in an attack while five more were
destroyed because their health was believed to be at risk.

Five lions from the affected enclosure are to be moved to other premises.

People have left comments on Longleat's Facebook page criticising the park for
destroying the animals.

Sara Burton said: "If Longleat is incapable of 'managing' its animal populations
through sensible birth control then it shouldn't be allowed to continue as a zoo."

Joanne Ross-Crawley said: "I would not support any organisation that kills healthy
animals. No matter what their excuse is."

However, Nicola Williams said: "They have had large amounts of lions since the 60s
and I'm guessing they know their stuff."

Longleat responded to some of the comments to stress it only destroyed animals as
a last resort, and said further information would be released "in due course".

The safari park reopened after a winter break on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-26108506

Johnny
10th February 2014, 12:09
Last about the Copenhagen Zoo: (Google translated)

Zoo Director on a giraffe kill : We're going to do it again

(this is a mainstream headline)

Zoo have to kill animals now and then, and the protests against the killing giraffe has been out of proportion , says director .

Death threats and thousands of protests on social media as well as media coverage in major international media like the BBC and CNN.

The killing of the healthy giraffe Marius has gone around the world , and Copenhagen Zoo has come in a bit of a storm because of giraffe killing as many media have dubbed it.

But Zoo regret it at all not the killing of Marius next day , says scientific director Bengt Holst .

- We do not regret it . We are convinced that it is the best thing to do. The only way to manage a herd, which begets good, he says, referring to the giraffe Marius was in excess.

Deer Park is part of a European breeding program for giraffes and other animals , which helps to set the framework for the stock.

Lacking understanding of nature

The fact that so many Danes can get upset about the killing of Marius is due to people's understanding of nature has become smaller as the fact that several have moved to the city , says Bengt Holst .

- We take care to keep such a healthy population as possible. It's a little scary that we are so far away in the natural understanding that people have a hard time seeing that death is a natural consequence of life. A fortiori, there is a role for the Zoo to communicate , he said.

Zoo received two inquiries from foreign gardens that would accept Marius . One zoo is already included in the same breeding program as the Copenhagen Zoo, and therefore would Marius will really be in surplus which , says Bengt Holst .

- I do not really understand why they approached . They should rather spend their place on a more important animals.

Shall not be sent anywhere

The second zoo, which would have Marius , is not the same animal ethics as the Copenhagen Zoo.

- This means, for example , that they will not sign that they later sell their animals at a circus, and we can not just close your eyes and send the animals anywhere they go , says Bengt Holst .

- It's not just a matter of finding a new home for them. The first option is always whether animals can be sent to another zoo, but it is important for us to send the animals to a zoo, which works on the same premise as us , he explains.

Giraffe 's cute

Zoo kill about 20-30 so-called surplus animals a year, and it's all species of goats to antelopes .

- For the first time with this stock that we kill a giraffe , and it is also why the protest was so loud . Had it been a goat or antelope , so we had not had the same reaction. People think that a giraffe is sweet, and so attaches to the human characteristics .

If you can not work on that one is born surplus animals , so I do not have to euthanize healthy animals ?

- We can not . First, there must be a renewal of the breeding program , otherwise the stock die Second, it is very important to us that the animals live well, no matter how long they live . Breeding behavior is a huge part of their behavioral repertoire. If we take that away , we do heavy toll on their welfare.

Autopsy is a unique opportunity for the audience

It has also aroused outrage that Zoo yesterday invited the visitors to the bodies of the dead giraffe. But it is about Zoo always trying to be transparent to the customer to show that there 's something going on secretly , explains.

- When the animal dies at the zoo, so they are always autopsied , whether it is a seed or an elephant. That we choose to do so openly is a great educational opportunity to tell what kind of animal we are dealing with . A unique opportunity for the audience , and no one was accidentally allowed to see it. You would choose actively choose to watch.

Zoo will now collect all threats and then evaluate whether the threats must be reported to the police.

Johnny

rgray222
10th February 2014, 14:35
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/72874000/jpg/_72874548_468055843.jpg
Marius was said to be physically healthy, but the zoo said it followed recommendations

A young giraffe at Copenhagen Zoo has been euthanised - in the words of officials - to prevent inbreeding. The BBC examines the reasons for the action, which caused an outcry.

BBC Story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26118748)

kirolak
10th February 2014, 16:02
I was going to add my 2c to this thread of outrage, but I am too sad & ashamed.

Ellisa
10th February 2014, 21:45
What that pompous zoo director has not addressed is that children were watching that animal being chopped up, as entertainment, and it was justified by this 'showing them what happens in the wild when the lions kill the giraffes for food'. Presumably the veldt has teams of white coated butchers waiting to speed to the place where a giraffe is about to become lion food to chop it up for the lions as part of the feeding process. What a debacle this was. The excess giraffes should be either sterilised or quietly euthanised in a sympathetic way if the animal is not healthy. The death of any animal, cute or not, should not be used as the opportunity for a fun outing for youngsters.

Johnny
11th February 2014, 13:34
Here is an interview with the manager of the Copenhagen ENnNNVOEDZ4

Johnny

kirolak
11th February 2014, 15:16
Look into his eyes.

Agape
17th February 2014, 13:39
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26167925

Second Danish zoo may kill a giraffe called Marius

A second Danish zoo has said it may have to put down one of its giraffes, despite a storm of protest after a similar move by Copenhagen Zoo.

The Danish Jyllands Park Zoo said that it, like the zoo in Copenhagen, would be doing so to comply with breeding programme rules.

Coincidentally, its giraffe has the same name as the Copenhagen giraffe, Marius.

Copenhagen's Marius was destroyed on Sunday despite a online petition.

At least two wildlife parks, including one in Britain, had offered to house the healthy two-year-old animal but zoo officials said the danger of inbreeding remained.

'Good company'
The Danish Jyllands Park Zoo, in western Denmark, said its Marius is a seven-year-old hybrid, which means he is a mix of different sub-species.

He is currently housed with a younger, pure-bred giraffe called Elmer - who happens to be the half-brother of Copenhagen's Marius.

The zoo is expecting to receive a female giraffe to mate with Elmer at some point.

But Jyllands Park is not a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) and has not asked it to provide a female, a statement from EAZA said.

"EAZA cannot support any decision to cull the animal in question," the statement added.

"At the moment, there is no problem," said zoologist Jasper Moehring. "Marius is good company for Elmer and they are a wonderful attraction for our visitors.

"But the problem will be when we get a female. The two males will fight, which could result in the death of one of them," he told the BBC.

Mr Moehring said the zoo would get six months' notice before the arrival of the female and its priority would be to find a new home for Marius.

But he stressed that the move must not harm the carefully regulated genetic make-up of the giraffe population, otherwise Marius will have to be put down.

And he defended the decision by Copenhagen to put down its Marius on Sunday.

'Best solution'
"I am sure the zookeepers at Copenhagen had a really bad day on Sunday because they love those animals, but they knew it was the best solution for the giraffes there," Mr Moehring said.

Copenhagen's scientific director, Bengt Holst, said Marius's genes were too similar to those of other animals in the European breeding programme, and he risked introducing rare and harmful genes to the giraffe population if he had been allowed to breed.

Mr Holst also defended as scientifically educational his decision to allow visitors - including children - to watch the carcass being skinned, cut up and fed to the lions.

His decision caused outrage among animal rights campaigners and has led to death threats against Mr Holst and his staff.

The news about Jyllands Park's Marius has prompted an offer of a new home from an unexpected quarter, the leader of the Chechen Republic.

Ramzan Kadyrov said in an Instagram post: "On humanitarian grounds I am ready to take Marius. We can guarantee him good conditions and care of his health."

He said he hoped his "proposal will find a positive response" from the zoo's management.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/PaldenLhamo/559345_412524022154005_1841663306_n-300x336_zps497ac43a.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/PaldenLhamo/media/559345_412524022154005_1841663306_n-300x336_zps497ac43a.jpg.html)

Hope not :(

Operator
17th February 2014, 13:58
The Danish Jyllands Park Zoo said that it, like the zoo in Copenhagen, would be doing so to comply with breeding programme rules.

Stupid rules .... we're back at the level of 'befehl ist befehl' attitude of the forties previous century.

peterpam
17th February 2014, 14:30
I agree it is tragic about the giraffe...what about the trillions of other animals that are neglected, tortured, used and abused at the hands of humans? I don't think there is a single human that can point the finger at the "evil doers" and walk away lily white...and that certainly includes me.There are sins of omission and sins of commission. I am not suggesting anyone here actively does any of this to the animal population.. but the fact that we have let this become the status quo does not speak well for humanity. Lets take action for all animals not just cute, rare, animal babies in the zoo. Telemark, thank you for bringing this to our attention this is not the time to become complacent.

Agape
17th February 2014, 15:34
I agree it is tragic about the giraffe...what about the trillions of other animals that are neglected, tortured, used and abused at the hands of humans? I don't think there is a single human that can point the finger at the "evil doers" and walk away lily white...and that certainly includes me.There are sins of omission and sins of commission. I am not suggesting anyone here actively does any of this to the animal population.. but the fact that we have let this become the status quo does not speak well for humanity. Lets take action for all animals not just cute, rare, animal babies in the zoo. Telemark, thank you for bringing this to our attention this is not the time to become complacent.

Yes I agree ...

I have had some mixed up feelings about the ZOO institutions themselves .. and what purpose they really serve but to put it shortly .. there are 'good' and 'bad' ZOOs .

We have one of the most beautiful and splendid ZOO in Prague , it's also one of the oldest in Europe . I'll post a link here if anyone is interested .. or just in case you happen to be around here and would like to visit .
It's situated in large park - hillside area called Troya ( like in Troy ) with nearby Troy castle and newly also large Botanical gardens , close to river .. so they were also, accidentally or not flooded in the lower areas last year and each time when there were big floods , many animals had to be evacuated that time ( though, I think they'd swim ;) ) . Actually , one seal was known to escape at the time of the 2002 floods ( I think he was a seal as I was not here.. just got it from narratives later but he was brought up in enclosure from birth and very people friendly .. and was seen to swim all the way down to Hamburg where he was finally, retrieved again ..) .

Here, from what I've seen and I loved the place as a kid, they take care of the animals really well, provide them with lots of space .. try for the most natural conditions that resemble their habitats but also invest plenty of human force and kindness to the care and communication with each .

https://www.zoopraha.cz/en

But, I know perfectly that it's not how it works in ZOOs around the world generally, not all are humane institutions . They ought to be kind of 'arcs' saving endangered species , enabling contact and communication between 'us' and 'them' ,
too often .. they've degraded to mixture of caged life prisons and breeding stations .

It's the whole scenery we are witnessing now, huge 'meat market' , no respect to the amount of animal lives slaughtered for our consumption,
50 years ago .. from what my parent generation recollect , meat was eaten once or twice a week maximally and most of it reserved for the father who provided family. Those were 'hungry years' after war . But it's the 'spirits' , the level of awareness that was different then and now,
and not all that is new is automatically also good and better .

With this growing disrespect to animal lives, protecting 'some species' on behalf of others becomes impossible, naturally .. even the children have to see the same .

In earlier days , it would be the ZOO policy to care about the animal or return it back to nature where it came from.

How are we are from such ZOOs selling the animals for experimental use or even meat consumption .. no idea.. very sad ..

:wave:

kirolak
17th February 2014, 16:14
I know I am either preaching to the choir or to deaf ears (never anything in between!:confused:) but until we overcome our view of human superiority and stop treating animals as property, nothing will change.