PDA

View Full Version : 'House Of Cards' – NetFlixing The Sociopathic Agenda..!

jackovesk
22nd February 2014, 04:48
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XErtPBrSRE8/UvpCxt1FogI/AAAAAAAABSk/1lCzXW6_az4/s1600/houseofcards.jpg

February 16 2014

February 14.th was global launch day for the Netflix series House Of Cards season 2. How do I know that? Because it was front page news around the world.

The return of a Netflix series as front-page news? Why? To blur the gap between entertainment and reality, so when reality is in motion, you would think of it as fiction…clever.

They want us to see it obviously, and since Netflix is a global phenomenon they want the world to see it. They want you to identify and approve of the Sociopath in politics. I think they did a real good job.

In House Of Cards Kevin Spacey plays the character of Francis J. Underwood. The sociopath.
I have to stand in awe of Kevin Spacey´s skills as an actor. It´s probably the best acting I have ever laid my eyes on. He´s in the Jack Nicholson league with this and had Nicholson not retired, he would have been equally good.

That’s where the mind-bending begins.
You cannot lure the viewers in if it’s badly performed. And it is brilliant the way they bend the mind to: Sympathy, endorsement, silent approval of a murdering lying scumbag like Francis J. Underwood.

Spacey is the incarnation of testosterone and omnipotence. But he is multifaceted.

The powerghoul toning of body language is smoothened out by the way he moves. He moves like a cat. Letting you know that there is a feminine side to him. There is not. He cares about: Power, His Wife and Barbecue Ribs.

After spending 26 hours in his company, it still eludes me if he´s capable of loving. If he shows it, he does it as a display of emotions, I´m not sure it’s real. And that elusiveness is exactly his strength and so far: Not his weakness.

His marriage is a marriage of Power positioning and his wife Claire Underwood, played by Robin Wright, is equally psychopathic but in an introverted way. Robin Wright actually manages to downsize her acting through 26 episodes to 4 facial expressions all very much disconnected. Also when she looks at her husband. She is the chilling Ice Queen.

She is the only one he will listen to and the only one who can boost him with strength to carry on when his demonical manipulations are exposed, as she does near the ending of season 2, where Spacey as Vice President has lost the president’s trust. Her push gives him the fuel to go for the presidency and he gets it.

To snare us further into identification Spacey uses the camera.

He wants you on his side and in order not to come out as blatantly repulsive he makes you his ally, his confidant, and he confides with the viewer by addressing the camera.

Telling you his strategy, his apparently inner thoughts, and what he really thinks of the people he engages with through the series. But he does the same to you as he does to the people he crosses guards with. You can’t really trust him although he wants to befriend you this way, and yet, you’re hooked.

What’s he´s really doing is coaching the viewer how to manipulate people. Watch out for that coaching.

His wife makes an epic betrayal on a former lover in season 2. Spacey tells you up front, eye contact: “I don’t know whether to be proud or terrified.”

The couple has an understanding: They can engage with others sexually as long as they ‘cover their tracks’. Reptilian.

As season 2 starts Spacey goes high impact on that mechanic of befriending the viewer, since he doesn’t talk to you until the very last minute. You have been waiting for this and he suddenly addresses you via the camera by saying: ‘Did you think I’ve forgotten about you?’

That’s how he plays his game with the people he destroys in the series. Leaving them in the cold, depending on him, and suddenly by the strike of lightning: They are forgiven and back in his southern joviality and polite reliability.

He abruptly throws his mistress Zoe in front of a subway train. This comes as a shock to the viewer, since Zoe might be an opportunist, but she’s one a few people in the gallery of planets orbiting sun Spacey, that actually has integrity.

Spacey turns to the camera and tells you like this: “Oh, it’s okay to kill a kitten, you see: kittens become cats with claws that one-day can make you bleed.” He wants you to understand his means of prevention and I´m sure some will.

If you are not aware of The Matrix and The Control System this is poison to your soul.

If you are aware of these entities; House Of Cards is like another Blockbuster series ‘Scandal’ a study into the anatomy of the Oligarchs and how the power system is designed: a playground and a manual for the most blatant psychopath in how to gain power by abusing it. Ring a bell?

The House Of Cards creators could state: “Yes it’s dramatized and so are the wrong doings.” Really, what it brings to mind here is the Clintons and I won’t be one bit surprised if the series down the path would exchange Spacey as President with his Wife as head of state. So it’s an endorsement.

I read that Washington politicians wanted Netflix to air the series before the set date due to snowstorms in the US and the weather in England because: People were trapped in their home and could use the entertainment. Really!

They are so certain that the veil between fiction and reality is blurred, while doing their best to make it headline news to further distort the line between fiction and reality.

They don’t think we see through that.

Oh, we do.

A series like this isn’t just a series. Its education of the masses into accepting the Reptilian Strategy of the political elite.

And the Real Life ‘president’ of the United States calls for no spoilers, he´s such a fan.

So, we can safely ad that hopper to the stew.

Update: House of Cards: American politics needs a Frank, I rest my Case!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBabKoHSErI&feature=player_embedded
http://sorendreier.com/netflixing-the-sociopathic-agenda/

Nasu
22nd February 2014, 05:27
Best thing I've seen in an age. Witty, insightful and close to the bone. Can't recommend enough... N

OMG
22nd February 2014, 05:46
The horrific reality of what's considered media now days is sadly obvious.

How about someone starting a thread on what media is worth while.

Nasu
22nd February 2014, 05:55
The horrific reality of what's considered media now days is obvious.

How about me start a thread on what media is worth while.

I'd like to see that list/thread. I always seem to miss worth while stuff... What does and does not amuse, is always subjective, my guess, judging by the varasity of your response, is that you have not found the time to watch these two series yet... If you have and we're disappointed, I would love to hear why, if not, then I recommend you do. As for what is or what is not entertainment, I leave that judgement to you, I don't care either way, it's all subjective, in my opinion. Thanks for your insights though, I look forward to reading your list...

With respect to your opinion... N

ViralSpiral
22nd February 2014, 06:21
Concentration of media ownership (also known as media consolidation or media convergence) is a process whereby progressively fewer individuals or organizations control increasing shares of the mass media. Contemporary research demonstrates increasing levels of consolidation, with many media industries already highly concentrated and dominated by a very small number of firms.

Globally, large media conglomerates include Viacom, CBS Corporation, Time Warner, News Corporation, Bertelsmann AG, Sony, Comcast, Vivendi, Televisa, The Walt Disney Company, Hearst Corporation, Organizações Globo and Lagardère Group.

As of 2012, The Walt Disney Company is the largest media conglomerate in the US, with News Corporation, Time Warner and Viacom ranking second, third and fourth respectively.

In nations described as authoritarian by most international think-tanks and NGOs like Human Rights Watch (China, Cuba, Russia), media ownership is generally something very close to the complete state control over information in direct or indirect ways

Media oligopoly

An oligopoly is when a few firms dominate a market. When the larger scale media companies buy out the more smaller-scaled or local companies they become more powerful within the market. As they continue to eliminate their business competition through buyouts or forcing them out (because they lack the resources or finances) the companies left dominate the media industry and create a media oligopoly

Wiki source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership)

Personally, I enjoy the series. As for subliminal agendas? Who knows, I don't care. I certainly don't follow main stream media. As Jackovesk said:

Who recalls the series Rubicon, or Lie to me? They were squashed. Too close to 'home'?

Nasu
22nd February 2014, 06:22
The horrific reality of what's considered media now days is obvious.

How about me start a thread on what media is worth while.

I'd like to see that list/thread. I always seem to miss worth while stuff... What does and does not amuse, is always subjective, my guess, judging by the varasity of your response, is that you have not found the time to watch these two series yet... If you have and we're disappointed, I would love to hear why, if not, then I recommend you do. As for what is or what is not entertainment, I leave that judgement to you, I don't care either way, it's all subjective, in my opinion. Thanks for your insights though, I look forward to reading your list...

With respect to your opinion... N

Thank you OMG, for nudging me into re appraising my thoughts on this show / program / series. Upon reflection you are right, to a point, this show is far from perfect. After some thought I will reduce my score to nine stars, out of ten, just for you..

The element that is lost is complexity. I have, in my short existence, had the displeasure of dealing with these types through business and can say with orthority that the story is very shallow, the levels of intreage are absent, for the most part. Clearly the dynamic of individual interplay via influence and favors is covered, but it has been my experience that in the real world the layers are far deeper, the alliances much more diverse and the motivations even more obscure.

There are only two or three business influencers for example in the show, in the real world there are factions within factions, friends within enemies and vise versa. The real world has many more moving parts to it, to juggle, for those who like to play. Try not to hate the players, but rather learn to hate the game...

Aside from that very small detail though, it is by far, the best entertainment available right now. Especially if insightful distractions help you unwind at night. I imagine they made the story less complicated so that a wider audience could understand its message, a very subversive and rebellious message at that... N

chocolate
22nd February 2014, 06:51

I think, I just had another great idea. I will go and watch season 1! :)

Personally, I find it hard to believe how someone cannot find a post to thank (on this forum) for 4 years, but life, and the forum, are full of surprises.
Or is it just that... nah.

Thank you jacko(vesk). :)

ps. I'm in love with purple! Especially in BOLD.

Nasu
22nd February 2014, 06:56
Concentration of media ownership (also known as media consolidation or media convergence) is a process whereby progressively fewer individuals or organizations control increasing shares of the mass media. Contemporary research demonstrates increasing levels of consolidation, with many media industries already highly concentrated and dominated by a very small number of firms.

Globally, large media conglomerates include Viacom, CBS Corporation, Time Warner, News Corporation, Bertelsmann AG, Sony, Comcast, Vivendi, Televisa, The Walt Disney Company, Hearst Corporation, Organizações Globo and Lagardère Group.

As of 2012, The Walt Disney Company is the largest media conglomerate in the US, with News Corporation, Time Warner and Viacom ranking second, third and fourth respectively.

In nations described as authoritarian by most international think-tanks and NGOs like Human Rights Watch (China, Cuba, Russia), media ownership is generally something very close to the complete state control over information in direct or indirect ways

Media oligopoly

An oligopoly is when a few firms dominate a market. When the larger scale media companies buy out the more smaller-scaled or local companies they become more powerful within the market. As they continue to eliminate their business competition through buyouts or forcing them out (because they lack the resources or finances) the companies left dominate the media industry and create a media oligopoly

Wiki source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership)

Personally, I enjoy the series. As for subliminal agendas? Who knows, I don't care. I certainly don't follow main stream media. As Jackovesk said:

Who recalls the series Rubicon, or Lie to me? They were squashed. Too close to 'home'?

Good call. Who owns this show? Who really owns it? Jody foster directed, Netflix produced it, but who really gains if it's message is widely understood and well receaved? Who really gains from this subversive message about the high seat of power, so called? It's a powerful question, given the players, the backing, the crew and the timing. They do say timing is everything... Que Bonno??? N

chocolate
22nd February 2014, 07:00
Nasu,

Production Companies:
Media Rights Capital
Panic Pictures (II)
Trigger Street Productions

Distributors:
Netflix (2013-) (USA) (video) (online)
Imagica BS (2013) (Japan) (TV)
NOTTV (2013) (Japan) (video)
Sky Atlantic HD (2013-) (Germany) (TV)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (2013-) (Germany) (DVD)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (2013) (USA) (Blu-ray) (DVD)

Other Companies:
ARRI / Camera Service Center (camera equipment)
Chapman/Leonard Studio Equipment (camera dollies)
Chef Robért Catering (catering)
De Lane Lea (ADR recording)
Media Rights Capital (funding)
Modern VideoFilm (post-production facilities) (digital intermediate)
Netflix (funding)
Varèse Sarabande (soundtrack)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856010/companycredits?ref_=ttfc_sa_4

chocolate
22nd February 2014, 07:03
Que Bonno is a complicated question :) in the world of films and TV.

And also, the series are distributed by Netflix, not produced by Netflix, there is a difference.
If you decide to make a show you need to have certain amount of start and a secure distributor. That is where Netflix comes along.
Netflix appeared as some sort of a independent solution to the very conservative and rigid world of film making just around the start of the current financial crisis.

I would say, google the first three names under production companies.

I am too lazy to start digging there, but I sure am no my way to see some of the first season.

Good find in general.

Nasu
22nd February 2014, 07:05

Personally, I find it hard to believe how someone cannot find a post to thank (on this forum) for 4 years, but life, and the forum, are full of surprises.

Well spotted. Good points. I hope OMG is not a government shill, that would make sense, but seems far too obvious.. Never ever, ever found one post to thank in all your time here OMG? Not one? Shame on you.. OMG, did I just say that? Shame on me..

Very cross with myself for wasting my breath on OMG. I am not very interested in the opinions of someone who could live within a community, albeit virtually and not find one person, post, insight or responce to thank in all this time.. Not one...

I would respectfully suggest you find a forum where you appreciate it's members and their insights, don't worry, I don't need you to thank me for this advice... N

chocolate
22nd February 2014, 07:09
Covert hostility.
Who knows.
I usually try to overlook stuff like that, but of all people here, to get to jacko, one of the sweetest around, it went too far. Or is it that some just don't read in between his lines, and see the silver lining.

Anyway, sorry for the small detail!

Love!

chocolate
22nd February 2014, 07:25
It would appear that there was an old TV show done for the BBC,
"HOUSE OF CARDS" 1990-1995

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098825/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2 starring Ian Richardson.

http://www.stagehappenings.com/Dale_Reynolds/images2013/cardstrilogy.jpg

I am going to watch it as well.

Nothing beats a good British TV series from the old times! :)

And a note - I am going to download the old series :) ( I need a major change so I will use every opportunity to shift my attention right now), if anyone cannot find them, message me.
I probably will log in again sometime ... well, sometime in the next week or so.

Nasu
22nd February 2014, 07:31
Covert hostility.
Who knows.
I usually try to overlook stuff like that, but of all people here, to get to jacko, one of the sweetest around, it went too far. Or is it that some just don't read in between his lines, and see the silver lining.

Anyway, sorry for the small detail!

Love!

Great points. Your right though, who knows about OMG, God presumably?... Back to topic, this one is worth the watch, especially for lovers of Avalon, lovers of truth, in all it's warts and all glory... N

giovonni
22nd February 2014, 07:55
Best thing I've seen in an age. Witty, insightful and close to the bone. Can't recommend enough... N

Yes the original BBC program was great lizardry at its finest as well ... :croc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17uvKIAuVbU

Lifebringer
22nd February 2014, 11:01
It's the same thing they did with Supranos and why Chris Christie was used to get in, with the same attitude shown along with the inside of the family unit and the plans of what was on the criminal agenda.

SSDD, eh Jack?

Keep up the good work on observing the plots and in yo face programming.

pugwash84
22nd February 2014, 11:19
I'm gonna watch series 1 first, I can't watch number 2 without seeing the first one before. xxxxx

Meesh
22nd February 2014, 11:35
The British version is much better! Also available on Netflix.

jackovesk
22nd February 2014, 14:12

http://static2.solarmovie.so/images/movies/1856010_150x220.jpg

Season 1 & 2

http://www.solarmovie.so/tv/house-of-cards-2013/

PS - Haven't watched the series myself, don't think I will be either...:nono:

It would remind me too much of the Truth...:yes4:

We see more than enough of these scenarios on a daily basis...:yes4:

Looks good though...

crosby
22nd February 2014, 14:43
there is a lot of symbolism in the amerikan version. notice the upside down flag portrayed? 'a nation in distress.' i expect also that there will only be one more season, as the amerikan version follows the story line of the BBC production. The BBC production started with House of Cards, followed by the Final Cut, and finally, To Play the King. It will be interesting to see if they string past three.
crosby

Hazel
22nd February 2014, 18:06

Season 1 & 2

Looks good though...[/QUOTE]

Too easy to agree there Jacko... Australian politics has been a seething viper pit on show in a glass tank under lights, for the last few years.
Shuddddeeer..............

http://thelemursarehungry.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/snake-tank.jpg

carryattune
22nd February 2014, 22:43
This is off topic..........but just out of curiosity does OMG have a thanks tab on her screen. Because I don't.. All I have is a little blue tag, that if I tap it it becomes an X. Just wondering how the screen appears to OMG.

jackovesk
23rd February 2014, 17:34

Season 1 & 2

Looks good though...

Why on earth did I post this 'Thread & Link'...:confused:

I swear I just wanted to have a quick peek at the 1st Episode - Really I Did...:yes4:

Now I'm up to Episode 6 and loving every minute of it...:yes4:

The Acting & Cast are brilliant
The Storyline is so deafeningly close to the truth
The Writing is so close to the Action & Heart of the Truth its scary
Unfortunately Kevin Spacey's character uncannily likeable

PS - Don't worry there's no Sheep type murmuration's going on, I'm watching it purely for research purposes...:secret:

nzreva
24th February 2014, 15:56
I watched all of House of cards, it was insightful and entertaining. I did not learn anything new about Gov. but I was reminded of how corrupt devious and heartless people can be to get what they want.
'

Octavusprime
25th February 2014, 17:15
This is a great show. Acting is truly superb. Really shows the dark side of politics and doesn't hold back at that.

I must say, I slightly envy OMG for not liking any posts. I feel as if the like feature is a huge popularity contest at times, both here and on social media outlets like facebook and twitter. I just feel like there is a temptation to focus more on collecting likes than actually posting something that truly matters.

I've seen here many times where discussions turn into a post liking war. I suppose that is the nature of things. "Wow Bill Ryan liked that so it must be true." Or "Look at how many people sided with that side of an arguement". Perhaps I'm not giving enough credit to people but I feel in many ways we are all affected by these types of social cues.

The like feature also has the potential to mold the minds in subtle ways. A simple feedback loop where your thoughts and actions on the forum are "voted" on. Most people want to be liked. They want to believe in things that are in line with others. Because of this, the system has some inherent danger in that small groups of people can influence the collective mind of a forum. Strategically placing their "likes" onto posts that support their agenda. I would think that alot could be learned from this by collecting data and analyzing who likes who's posts. Leaders and followers emerge and trends of like minded folks could be observed. It would be interesting to see what one could find out. Almost like a way of hunting for shills but I digress.

House of cards is a dark and witty show. The main character is a complete sociopath with dreams of power. A view into the inner workings of the power hungry political elite.

Octavusprime
25th February 2014, 17:38
Que Bonno is a complicated question :) in the world of films and TV.

And also, the series are distributed by Netflix, not produced by Netflix, there is a difference.
If you decide to make a show you need to have certain amount of start and a secure distributor. That is where Netflix comes along.
Netflix appeared as some sort of a independent solution to the very conservative and rigid world of film making just around the start of the current financial crisis.

I would say, google the first three names under production companies.

I am too lazy to start digging there, but I sure am no my way to see some of the first season.

Good find in general.

Funding is also by Netflix but how much influence they have over content is beyond me.