PDA

View Full Version : Tibetan Sampa cakes (tsampa)

Mixteca
25th February 2014, 08:16
Does anyone know how to make these? A mayan elder friend of mine told me about them as a really good food source. (The Maya believe there will be a 7 year period coming up next decade in which we all need to be able to feed ourselves - the grid will go down after a massive solar flare)

I know it involves honey and grain, and I did find references online, but not with a recipe I could understand.

They are highly nutritious, one made they stay good for 10 - 15 years, and a person can live on one a day indefinitely.

If anyone knows how to make these, I would really appreciate instructions. Thank you.

Conchis
25th February 2014, 11:46
I looked at there as well and it's tough to find one that really explains the process. The main grain is barley which is not in great use here in the US, at least, so I would be interested in finding out more about this as well. Someone must know how to make this stuff.

Agape
25th February 2014, 16:34
Great to know that someone's got interested in tsampa . ;) Tibetan people used to call themselves 'tsampa eaters' , jokingly , in old times because it was their daily bread and traditional food .
Tsampa however is not a 'cake' but finely milled and roasted barley flower .

Barley has the advantage among grains of being able to grow in high altitudes and produce crops in short times of Tibetan summers . It is highly nutritious and full of minerals , depending of course on the quality of the soil where you produce the crop.

The quality of tsampa differs according to the source and how fine was it milled , the coarser varieties are perhaps tastier to some but not so easy to digest, the fine roasted flower is delicious and almost like some of your 'milupa porridge' .

I used to call it ''the predecessor of Milupa' ( that used to be one brand name for kids instant porridge here in Europe ) .

Traditionally, it can be mixed with your tea , sweet or salty, with soup , milk, added sugar, butter , raisins, nuts, mixed to the desired density and taste quality ..as you do with thicker porridge or form small dumplings from it that are then eaten as you eat bread .

It can last long if kept dry in clean isolated bag and from handful of tsampa you can have full evening meal , just by adding water and some salt .
So it's very practical food to carry with on long journeys to nature , camping etc.

The tasty 'cakes' are called 'tormas' , made mostly for ceremonial purposes and festivities are probably the best delicacy you can ever have ..but half of the mystery is in preparation , the other half in that they are 'offered' before being eaten , with prayers and aspirations to achieve enlightenment and prayers for all sentient beings,
they're offered to all 6 classes of sentient beings - gods, demo-gods, humans, animals, hunger ghosts and hell sufferers , each according their own kind to quell their hunger and alleviate their suffering .

The best of those are made from tsampa , butter, raw honey, some alcohol , nuts and raisins and whatever else ,
shaped to cones of various sizes and painted with colored butter .

sVW0WNg7Sr0

Ealiss
25th February 2014, 19:09
Edit. Sorry about the outburst but it means that I am not the only one dreaming about a 5 to 7 year "famine" where we have to feed ourselves. I just wasn't sure when.

I am also very happy you mentioned tsampa.

:whoo:

carryattune
25th February 2014, 19:40
I found this. From a Tibetan restaurant in San Francisco. It says its labor intensive. So most just buy it. There is a video at this link. But I don't know how to capture it. I don't think it's you tube.
http://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan-food/tsampa.html

I am going to try this. I am Italian. But I love barley. And I like a challenge in cooking. Lol

carryattune
25th February 2014, 20:10
Edit. Sorry about the outburst but it means that I am not the only one dreaming about a 5 to 7 year "famine" where we have to feed ourselves. I just wasn't sure when.

What outburst?

Mixteca
25th February 2014, 21:59
THANK YOU!!!

It's the Torma I was looking for! The Tsampa is what I kept finding and I was getting confused.

When I was looking again, I found the following link to a woman who has what looks like Torma packaged as energy bars. I'm going to try some, and I'm going to try making some.

http://www.tibetantsampa.com/product-p/tsbr10.htm

And, btw, the Mayans were never worried about 12.21.12. It was the end of one long count calendar and the beginning of another. No mayan ever said it was the end of the world. What they have been and are worried about is the planet, climate change and the years 2024 - 2036. (I have to check my notes, but I believe I'm remembering those years correctly).

13th Warrior
25th February 2014, 22:27
In support of the claims made; I know barley is a good food for endurance exercise/athletes.

Ealiss
26th February 2014, 10:54

What outburst?

Oh, it wasn't much. I just went "YEY!!" and felt silly afterwards. I edited it away.

=[Post Update]=

THANK YOU!!!

It's the Torma I was looking for! The Tsampa is what I kept finding and I was getting confused.

When I was looking again, I found the following link to a woman who has what looks like Torma packaged as energy bars. I'm going to try some, and I'm going to try making some.

http://www.tibetantsampa.com/product-p/tsbr10.htm

And, btw, the Mayans were never worried about 12.21.12. It was the end of one long count calendar and the beginning of another. No mayan ever said it was the end of the world. What they have been and are worried about is the planet, climate change and the years 2024 - 2036. (I have to check my notes, but I believe I'm remembering those years correctly).

Thank you :-)

Regarding the Mayans, I went and googled to find answers, and couldn't. It's all 2012. It helps a lot to know that they worried about that time period.

Further edit: You mentioned a 7 year period of having to feed ourselves. When was that?

I apologize for being a bit airheaded. There is so much to learn and I admit to stressing at the moment. Sorry. :o

Agape
26th February 2014, 16:01
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26338709

Key food crops head to Arctic 'doomsday vault'

More than 20,000 crops from more than 100 nations have arrived at a "Doomsday vault" in the Arctic Circle.

The latest delivery coincides with the sixth anniversary of the frozen depository in Svalbard, which now houses more than 800,000 samples.

The shipment includes the first offering from Japan, where collections were threatened by the devastating earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

The facility is designed to withstand all natural and human disasters.

Deep inside a mountain on a remote island in the Svalbard archipelago - located halfway between mainland Norway and the North Pole - the vault, which cost 5m (US $7m) and took 12 months to build, offers permanent protection for the world's food crops, say its operators.

The purpose of the depository, owned by the Norwegian government and maintained by the Global Crop Diversity Trust (GCDT) and the Nordic Genetic Resources Center, is to store duplicates of all seed samples from crop collections around the world.

The GCDT says permafrost and thick rock ensure that, even in the case of a power cut, the seed samples will remain frozen.

"The vault can therefore be considered the ultimate insurance policy for the world's food supply," it adds.

"It will secure, for centuries, millions of seeds representing every important crop variety available in the world today."

The Japanese barley samples were provided by the Barley Germplasm Center at Okayama University.

Prof Kazuhiro Sato from the university's Institute of Plant Science and Resources said experts became concerned about the long-term safety of the national collection following the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that caused widespread devastation.

"If something bad happened to our genebank, these resources could be damaged permanently," he said.

"Barley is very important not just for Japan but for the food security of the world - we have varieties that are productive even in dry conditions and in saline soil."

Speaking ahead of a meeting at the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, GCDT executive director Marie Haga said: "Our annual gatherings at the seed vault are a sort of Winter Olympics of crop diversity, only we are not competing against each other but against the wide array of threats - natural and man-made - ranged against the diversity of food crops, diversity that is so crucial to the future of human civilisation."

She added: "We are particularly excited to be welcoming our first seed deposits from Japan, which has been very active globally in the preservation of a wide array of crop species."

:angel:

Mixteca
27th February 2014, 07:21
Hello Ealiss.

Virtually nothing you find on the web about the Mayans is accurate. There are a lot of sites created by people who think they understand the Mayans but actually understand the work of Jose Arguilles, whose work is based on the writings of a priest responsible for the masacre of thousands of Mayans. The Mayans have repeatedly asked Arguilles to stop referring to them or claiming them in his writings and he has refused.

The council of elders has authorized only ONE person to communicate their beliefs to the English speaking world and that is Carlos Barrios. He has a book (that the council of elders asked him to write) that has been translated into many languages. You can get it on Amazon.com. It's called the Book of Destiny and it's relevant far past 2012:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Destiny-Unlocking-Secrets-Prophecy/dp/B0041T4O3K/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393485213&sr=1-1&keywords=carlos+barrios

12.21.12 was an important and significant date: the end of one very long cycle and the beginning of a new one, but no Mayan ever thought it was the end of the world. I have to look through my notes to be sure, and they didn't give exact dates, but they do say that we need to be prepared to feed ourselves and family for a period of 7 years (for numerous reasons, climate change, food supply, etc) but the crisis point will be triggered by a solar flare which will take down the grid. I think the time they said would be of most concern was 2024 - 2032. I'm not sure if they've narrowed down the 7 year period yet.

It's a great book on a number of levels. And it's the ONLY one that represents what the actual MAYANS have to say about their beliefs.

If you would like, I'll see if I can if there are still available links to interviews I set up for Carlos Barrios and his wife with various media before 2012 when they were trying very hard to get an accurate portrayal of their beliefs out into the world.

Ealiss
27th February 2014, 10:17
Thank you very much. I will google Carlos Barrios and take a look at the book. You don't have to add links. It helps to know what I need to look for. That is enough. :-)

Namaste.