PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a Great TI: TSgt Scott Stluka, Lackland AFB, 324 TRS, FLT 642 :)

Tesla_WTC_Solution
18th April 2014, 20:12
Somehow this morning, I was looking at Facebook -- thought about some of the people from the experience of Basic Military Training at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX (July-Aug 2003).

I was trying to look up my TI (technical instructor) and was no longer able to see the press clipping of his retirement on Google. Also he might not have Facebook (I am not surprised).

Long story short, TSgt Scott Stluka was a very good person, from what I could tell. He was former Army, which added some solidarity to his presence as an Air Force BMT instructor. He wasn't some recently-washed towel hung out to dry, in other words.

It wasn't too long after I left the Air Force that a whole bunch of bad press came out in regards to sexual harassment in the ranks, particularly at Lackland AFB and the Air Force Academy (CO Springs), where young troops are trained.

The weird thing about this whole situation is that although my flight had a male instructor, I don't recall one single incidence of impropriety. Our TI established something very important very early: trust. He followed the rules to the letter, was never in our dorm at the wrong time, never singled anyone out for special harassment or treatment, and gave his attention to problems rather than creating them himself.

Someone in tech school told me that my former TI sprained an ankle horrifically while working at BMT after I left Lackland. I was very sad to hear it, that the injury had resulted in suspension of duty. And shortly after, I heard that he was retiring. Well, within a few years of that incident, I think.

Here's the weird part: I looked him up close to the time I separated from the Air Force, if I recall correctly. I sent him an email thanking him for being a good TI and inspiring the kids without being a total assrag. I told him about the Air National Guard and the lack of discipline in the ranks that he had warned us about. Told him that I wished in a way I'd gone active duty or even applied to be a TI at Lackland.

He wrote back almost immediately, because my email arrived the day he was retiring.
In fact, he wouldn't have been available to check the email the next day at all.

It was creepy/chilling/haunting/interesting to have that experience, writing to my retiring instructor the day he leaves...

What I hope is that like his first impression on us as trainees entering the Air Force,
his last impression of the people he trained was positive.

I wanted the message to be a gift to him. And I hope it was.
That he wrote back was amazing and I felt honored to hear from him.

It's sad that not everyone in the Air Force can maintain the same standard of caring about others and maintaining pride in doing the right thing -- without Scott Stluka I don't think my experience in the Air Force would have been positive at all.

And honestly, I could tell even before leaving Lackland, that TSgt Stluka possessed a quality of character than is on the "way out" in terms of American culture.

Gone are most of the people who are patient, incisive, and strong.

Hats off to a great instructor and wherever you are, I hope you are ok! ;)

(remember that time I called you Ma'am and you didn't scream at me?)

p.s. I'd give a lot to do the obstacle course one more time.

p.p.s. TSgt Stluka looked a lot like Viggo Mortenson in the role of Master Chief.

I remember the night we bussed out and he looked so proud of us as we shook his hand and got on the bus to tech school.

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1997_G.I._Jane/997GIJ_Viggo_Mortensen_025.jpg