PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Stop the government from censoring the Internet!

truthseekerdan
25th October 2010, 21:38
URGENT NEWS: The Senate is considering a bill that would create an online blacklist of Internet sites Americans would be prohibited from visiting. Hollywood has been stumping hard for this bill and unless we speak up, it could sail through Congress right after the election.

http://demandprogress.org/

MzVaFf
25th October 2010, 21:43
People better start learning some hacking skills ;)

Operator
25th October 2010, 21:51
Senate is considering a bill

Hollywood has been stumping hard for this bill

So what is the text for 'this or a' bill ? What are they targeting ? Without this information it's impossible to detect whatever agenda is in play ...

Beth
25th October 2010, 21:53
Here's a link to the bill so you all can read it BILL (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804)

MzVaFf
25th October 2010, 21:53
So what is the text for 'this or a' bill ? What are they targeting ? Without this information it's impossible to detect whatever agenda is in play ...

They are targeting Pirate sites like "Pirate Bay""LimeWire" Sites that you download copy rite stuff from.. It's all about money that's all....

truthseekerdan
25th October 2010, 22:02
Thanks Beth, have you noticed the pyramid and 'the eye' on your link? :nod:

Operator
25th October 2010, 22:11
It's all about money that's all....

Well then it's soon irrelevant I guess ... :mmph:

Beth
25th October 2010, 22:16
Thanks Beth, have you noticed the pyramid and 'the eye' on your link? :nod:

Oooohhh, that's weird, and freaky.

UKIPster
25th October 2010, 22:59
I've been told that installing a VPN Virtual Private Network on your computer may be of some use when some of these impending restrictions come into force although i havent done so myself yet.

I do know that having a VPN can enable you to receive the iplayer when your on holiday outside the UK.

If all the talk about the internet being shut down comes to fruition then we may need to have already prepared our pc's for this sort of thing.

Operator
26th October 2010, 00:24
I've been told that installing a VPN Virtual Private Network on your computer may be of some use when some of these impending restrictions come into force although i havent done so myself yet.

I do know that having a VPN can enable you to receive the iplayer when your on holiday outside the UK.

If all the talk about the internet being shut down comes to fruition then we may need to have already prepared our pc's for this sort of thing.

This maybe the reason why they quietly introduced Internet 2.0. On the lower layers can be determined where a packet is coming from
and where it's going to. It enables all kind of 'interesting' (independent from transport route) filtering to do just this job ...

Snowy Owl
26th October 2010, 01:42
How to implement a Regional Network and inter-regional gateway?

Operator
26th October 2010, 02:53
How to implement a Regional Network and inter-regional gateway?

X.25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.25) packet switching via HAM radio ... >> AX.25 Amateur Packet-Radio Link-Layer Protocol (http://www.tapr.org/pub_ax25.html)

Anchor
26th October 2010, 04:18
From a quick scan, the bill specifies that the DNS database will be altered. This wont stop you if you know the underlying IP address of the server you wish to contact; or know how to configure your own "non-Authoritative" service.

of a domain name system server shall take reasonable steps that will prevent a domain name from resolving to that domain name’s Internet protocol address

Since the internet regards censorship as damage and routes around it, if censorship does occur, then I expect we will see a "private" crop of uncensored domain name servers starting to appear.

TigaHawk
26th October 2010, 05:11
I used to use a site (www.artofping.com) to get around my old work's firewall.

I did 24/7 shift work there, and wanted to get around the firewall to play games.

This did the job perfectly for me - all the time while masking it from the company i was working for and the sites i was visiting.

the downside is, a compy runs this. Currently they may be ok - keeping you're private thigns private - but if the PTB came knocking on their door they'd give out the logs/records in a heartbeat.

If an internet censorship was to be made - there will be services like this popping up left right and centre in countries that ignore the censorship. (like Wares sites are being hosted in china - isnt it funny? the country with the most internet censorship is the beehive internet of pircay? :smokin: )\

TigaHawk
27th October 2010, 06:20
Sydney police launched a major security operation at an inner-city university today after a student allegedly posted threatening online messages.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/online-threat-sparks-sydney-uni-lockdown-20101027-1736d.html

Everyone says things in the heat of the moment, especialy when emotional and even more so especialy having been prevoked by another human being.

Does you're boss not insult you/scream at u if u mess up and do something wrong or the such? (they should not, but there are many that do) that would use similar words to what was probably said by said student? (Assuming F words and C words were used) and possibly a threat to kill someone.

I'm not trying to support threatening people - im just saying everyone says stuff they dont mean in the heat of the moment. its how we express ourselves, show how we're feeling, but definately not the best of ways to do so.

We wonder why people are getting more phsyically violent?

They cannot shout out loud with profanaties, punch a hard surface such as a wall, or kick a stone down the road or other such things which people use to vent said anger/emotion. Instead they're bottling it up. and it builds, and it builds... and then...........................

Grizzom
28th October 2010, 18:28
S. 3804: Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act

http://i55.tinypic.com/f5d6q1.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-segal/stop-the-internet-blackli_b_739836.html

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grU55UeHdYk

Their tryng to mess up our mess!

lisa
17th November 2010, 20:39
Censorship is not cool. The first vote is scheduled tomorrow (November 18). Please help by signing the petition, calling your senator or passing this on. Many thanks!

Unfortunately, no major media has reported this, so people who only listens to their TVs have no idea how important this is :(

Ahkenaten
17th November 2010, 20:48
Of interest in perusing this proposed bill is that the legal definition of infringement the prevention of which purportedly is the purpose of this bill, is NOT available in the link to the US Code Section 2324. Therefor the question arises, WHAT is the definition of infringement AND upon what basis and through precisely WHAT process is that determination made?

TigaHawk
17th November 2010, 21:20
Ahkenten - there are many views on this.

The company's view on how they should be making products and recieving money (ie - current pricing model)

And the consumer's that are fed up with the companies old fashoned buisness model, and want them to catch up with the times, and stop charging way too much for software/games when they're being pushed thru development way too quickly just so the company can make more money.

Consumer's arnt happy with the products and the way the products are being delivered - the company's are blatantly refuzing to go with the times as their current buisness model is making them millions and millions. IE a brand new computer game - for Xbox or Playstation or PC - costs $110 over here. 6 months down the track the popular titles are still sitting at $90 - the only way to get it cheaper is to wait another 6 months (12mths after release) and get a traded in copy - which the companies hate as well, as they get no revenue from the resale of used games.

So the entire system is a big mess - the companies - only see money - and they see alot of money they're not getting "because of piracy" - so they want to stop it from happening.

So the problem is - to me anyway - you have a line of buisnesses care only about money - and the industry - games - is constantly changing, people realy realy need to keep up with the times on this one, especialy for content delivery - but they wont - they dont want to sell games for cheaper prices or spend enough time on a game they're going to charge $110 for to actualy make it worth that much.

so - TLDR point of this is - We're being forced to pay higher prices for crap, because the companies are more than happy with us doing this - and dont want to change at all - when they need too

Ahkenaten
17th November 2010, 21:25
I agree that there are many points of view on the subject of what constitutes infringement - I just was pointing out the troubling fact that the link to the statutory definition of such in the US Code in the bill text itself is not working, which could mean that the definition of infringement itself could have been changed, or is being changed - which is troubling. In order to assess the impact of the bill one needs to know the working statutory definition of infringement.

irishspirit
18th November 2010, 18:36
They are targeting Pirate sites like "Pirate Bay""LimeWire" Sites that you download copy rite stuff from.. It's all about money that's all....

Yes, but at what stage does it move from that to the general internet, and sites like this?

Snowbird
20th November 2010, 03:16
It appears as though we are safe for the time being...until next go-around.

It's too early to say for sure, but Oregon Senator Ron Wyden could very well go down in the history books as the man who saved the Internet.

A bill that critics say would have given the government power to censor the Internet will not pass this year thanks to the Oregon Democrat, who announced his opposition during a recent committee hearing. Individual Senators can place holds on pending legislation, in this case meaning proponents of the bill will be forced to reintroduce the measure and will not be able to proceed until the next Congress convenes.

Even then, its passage is not certain.

The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) would have permitted a blanket takedown of any domain alleged to be assisting activities that violate copyright law, based upon the judgment of state attorneys general.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/oregon-senator-vows-block-internet-censorship-bill/

Swami
20th November 2010, 07:58
Web Censorship Bill Sails Through Senate Committee

Who says Congress never gets anything done?

On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved a bill that would give the Attorney General the right to shut down websites with a court order if copyright infringement is deemed “central to the activity” of the site — regardless if the website has actually committed a crime. The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) is among the most draconian laws ever considered to combat digital piracy, and contains what some have called the “nuclear option,” which would essentially allow the Attorney General to turn suspected websites “off.”

More here: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/coica-web-censorship-bill/

irishspirit
20th November 2010, 13:53
Google is urging western governments to challenge internet censorship in countries such as China, saying the economic implications of stifled trade will become more grave if nothing is done.

"More than 40 governments now engage in broad-scale restriction of online information, a tenfold increase from just a decade ago," the US-based technology giant warns in a policy brief on internet trade restrictions published yesterday.

The warning follows an embattled 12 months in China, where Google has had to comply with state censorship rules or risk being kicked out of the world's most populous internet market. Google yesterday denied its policy brief was sparked by developments in China, where the company lags some way behind the native Baidu in the search market, but said the country's government was capable of "arbitrary and capricious behaviour" in its dealings with internet companies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/nov/16/google-warns-internet-censorship-china

Now, considering the bills that have been put into place in both the US and the UK, This is a joke, right? Considering we all know Google is a font for the CIA, is this not just the funniest thing you have read? Bash the censors in one hand, and censor yourself on another.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2009/jun/30/internet-freedom-of-information

and this is a map that highlight which country is at it the most. Or so they say!

bluestflame
27th November 2010, 05:56
dunno if this has already been posted ...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/homeland-security-shuts-dozens-sites/

Friday, November 26th, 2010 -- 2:25 pm

"The Homeland Security Department's customs enforcement division has gone on a Web site shutdown spree, closing down at least 76 domains this week, according to online reports.

While many of the web domains were sites that trafficked in counterfeit brand name goods, and some others linked to copyright-infringing file-sharing materials, at least one site was a Google-like search engine, causing alarm among web freedom advocates who worry the move steps over the line into censorship.

All the shut sites are now displaying a Homeland Security warning that copyright infringers can face up to five years in prison.

According to a report at TorrentFreak, the search engine that was shut down -- Torrent-Finder.com -- neither hosted copyrighted material nor directly linked to places where it could be found. Instead, the site opened new windows to sites that did link to file-sharing materials.

"When a site has no tracker, carries no torrents, lists no copyright works unless someone searches for them and responds just like Google, accusing it of infringement becomes somewhat of a minefield," writes Torrentfreak, "Unless you’re ICE Homeland Security Investigations that is.""