PDA

View Full Version : NEWS FOR THE NEW NEWSLETTER!!! Bill Ryan Portrait

thepainterdoug
28th August 2014, 16:25
WOW , by coincidence, I just received the Project Avalon newsletter release as I took a photo of my new painting for my Whistleblower series. so I'm posting !

In honor of Bill Ryan. i sure hope he likes it!

thepainterdoug

Callista
28th August 2014, 16:35
CONGRATULATIONS on the first newsletter - was AMAZED that I am the 7777th member! Its great to be part of Avalon history! Many thanks to all who make this Forum possible - you are all beautiful human beings:luv:

thepainterdoug
28th August 2014, 17:06
callista/ thats some number your dealing with!! congrats!

Blacklight43
28th August 2014, 18:31
Doug I love all your paintings.

Callista welcome to PA.

araucaria
28th August 2014, 18:39
Thank you Doug. You've captured something about Bill that I hadn't seen before. Interesting.

Limor Wolf
28th August 2014, 19:14
Thank you for sharing with us your precious talent, Doug. Your portraits seem to take a life of their own and they truly commemorate and present and bring alive these exceptional people. What's more, you seem to be able to capture with your unique gift the part of the soul - the spark, the motivation, what make them who they are.

Bill Ryan is a most deserved and loved human being and a one who leads by example and inspiration and has a lot of credible work behind him. Hopefully we will be able to view his changing portraits every year, many more to come. Thank you ~

RunningDeer
28th August 2014, 19:17
For starters, you've captured both Bill's softness and strength. Great job, Doug.

Leena
28th August 2014, 19:44
Wonderful sync! And nice portrait.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

PS and thank you for the newsletter too

thepainterdoug
28th August 2014, 21:00
limor/ "the soul, the spark , the motivation"

this is such a wonderful and rewarding comment for me to hear. i have made some very detailed paintings in my life, and now with these small paintings, i am letting my instincts guide me without concern for detail or exactness.
we are in a time where spirit and soul need to excel and progress. for me, time for detail has been exhausted.

thank you!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

running dear. thank you! when i got to bills mouth, i knew there was more to do but i trusted myself to stop. this has contributed to the softness. eyes of strength and mouth of softness maybe?

thanks

mojo
28th August 2014, 21:00
wonderful to express your talent to someone we can all relate to!

2aware1
28th August 2014, 21:37
I just got the newsletter as well. Happy anniversary, everyone! We are still here. That in itself is something. And we are lucky to be breathing. What an incredible journey. Seriously. I signed the original round table and my eyes are still sort of wide open trying to piece it all together. I have not been following as closely as I used to for pure health reasons lately. But please know I am still "here". :-) And thank you for the gifts I have received or not allowed myself to receive yet. Lovely painting, btw! Take care, folks. HOLD ON. Some amazing work has been done. If you step away for a second, you will be able to see it. Although like waves it will hit you so take some deep breaths. Are we aware yet? ha. Oh dear. :-) love and hugs. xo -shannon one more for the road. oooooooooooooo :-) HOLD ON!!!!!!!

Mandala
28th August 2014, 21:47
Beautiful job Doug. I love the eyes.

Camilo
28th August 2014, 21:47
CONGRATULATIONS on the first newsletter - was AMAZED that I am the 7777th member! Its great to be part of Avalon history! Many thanks to all who make this Forum possible - you are all beautiful human beings:luv:

Welcome to PA Callista!

Camilo
28th August 2014, 21:50
WOW , by coincidence, I just received the Project Avalon newsletter release as I took a photo of my new painting for my Whistleblower series. so I'm posting !

thepainterdoug

Great painting Doug!

RunningDeer
28th August 2014, 22:36
http://avalonlibrary.net/paula/Recovered/BILLRYAN_zps1b236512.JPG

running dear. thank you! when i got to bills mouth, i knew there was more to do but i trusted myself to stop. this has contributed to the softness. eyes of strength and mouth of softness maybe?

thanks
I ‘catch’ one’s essence and then detail. So for me, I see specifically round Bill’s head and outer edges, his softness or soul. Then when I hone in a bit more of the detail, I pick up the strength that you've portrayed.

when i got to bills mouth, i knew there was more to do but i trusted myself to stop.
Guesimation here, in the other paintings, many of those Warriors’ work is completed. Bill’s continues. He sees, yet says little. (for now)

RunningDeer <3

Flash
28th August 2014, 22:43
Very nice painting, depicting very well what I perceive as Bill caracter, I think i will start ordering something from you for my Mini Flash;)

Becky
28th August 2014, 23:29
The painting is wonderful :-) Bill must feel truly honoured.
I love the newsletter too - it's a great way of summarizing up where we are within the times we live in (I know what I mean ;-))
Thank you all for your input into this forum, big and small. Thank you to Bill and the mods for keeping PA such a wonderful forum.
Becky x

ghostrider
28th August 2014, 23:38
it looks like you captured the essence of Bills inner energy ... great job ... Bill the Hat Ryan is now legendary , some ET's will find it in the future and wonder is this the man that changed the future ??? ... ya know your not a legend until you've been put on canvas by a pure artist ...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

His expression speaks to me , I'm happy , curious , and I know something you don't know , depending on your manners , I may tell you what THEY don't want me to tell you ... got some comfortable shoes ??? lets take a walkabout ...

Callista
29th August 2014, 00:32
Thank you thepainterdoug - yes its an interesting number. 7+7+7+7=28=10=1 which signifies 'new beginnings' - very apt considering I have just joined the forum.

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the wonderful portrait you have done of Bill. I love the warmth of the colours in the face and the foliage in the background expressing Bill's love of the outdoors. Very nice work!

thepainterdoug
29th August 2014, 02:43
that says it running deer!

Bill Ryan
29th August 2014, 03:25
-------

It occurred to me (a little slow here!) that I really should share publicly what I wrote to Doug privately:

Thank you so much!! :)

That was a REAL Surprise. I do think that some of the commenters on the thread nailed it, actually (RunningDeer specially, whose name is Paula) — how you captured the eyes and mouth. I am a very sensitive soul, as I think you may know, but I do also have a great deal of determination in me. I really do like it.

:)

My warmest wishes to you, as always ~ Bill

Pris
29th August 2014, 06:16

thepainterdoug

I think you have a beautiful, soft, painting style, Doug! The way you capture light (and a personality!) is really very lovely.

And, congratulations to Bill Ryan -- on the release of your new Project Avalon newsletter! :cool:
I'm looking forward to reading those!

All the best to everyone!

nenosema
29th August 2014, 22:46
You did a wonderful job :biggrin: Sometimes the painting will just guide with a little nudge here and there. Is this oil? :high5:

Daughter of Time
29th August 2014, 23:17
That is a wonderful painting! It is so evocative, it speaks!

If I didn't know who it is and I were to describe what I feel, I would say that this is someone I'd like to have as a friend.

He looks respectful and respectable, but he can also look through you and see beyond the social mask you wear. He would not unmask you unless you deserve to be unmasked. If it's just a social mask to hide your vulnerabilities, he would help to keep that mask straight on your face.

I feel that he'd protect me if necessary because he's strong, but he's also sentimental and compassionate enough to let me cry on his shoulder if I'd need to.

I would trust this man and would want to have long, meaningful conversations with him because I know he would understand me and I feel I'd understand him too.

This is a complex man on many levels, but he has a great deal of integrity, warmth and heart.

thepainterdoug
31st August 2014, 02:54
how wonderful! what great observations.

araucaria
31st August 2014, 08:24
Doug, I like the way you use two light sources to obtain contrasts of light and shade. The light from the top left (possibly natural sunlight) is so bright that the hat, instead of being a trademark appendage, really serves its purposes, protecting the face and also using the shade to reveal the features, which would otherwise be too bright to see properly. But to achieve this, the shade is only a semi-shade, with another light source (likely artificial light) to the mid-right, its beam hitting the cheek at the bottom of the ear and lighting up the chin, nose, mouth and long hair from the right.

This interplay of light and shade itself has a light side and a dark side. First, it works on the vertical plane: at the bottom, you have a fiery darkness (the dark shirt with streaks of red) contrasting at the top with what looks like, or suggests, the outdoors. And secondly, the wispy hair lighting up the darker right side somewhat resembles the smoke that Simon Parkes says you find around a djinn, some of which he says are benevolent.

All of this, combined with the almost straight-on pose, facing only fractionally to our left, seems to encapsulate Bill’s ability to sit comfortably, unblinkingly (you can’t blink for a still image!), and with an unwavering smile (you can paint a wavering one), amid these conflicting forces.

None of this is exactly what I meant by interestingly new. That is to be found in the tiny divergence from the absolute physical resemblance that makes art art (and also sometimes makes photography art). But of course, the above is precisely what you are doing, and why, when your painting strays from the identikit portrait (talking of which – you would need to check with Bill – I gather Bill Ryan senior was its inventor). See http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?73078-What-is-your-profession&p=858547&viewfull=1#post858547