PDA

View Full Version : Good quote from plato that sums us up

Anchor
12th September 2014, 23:12
http://i.imgur.com/M3GbGGJ.jpg

For those who can't see the image, it is a "meme" style image and the text on the image reads:

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses - Plato

I never heard that quote from Plato before, and I dont know for sure if its legit, but I think it sums us up quite well!

--

truthseekerdan
13th September 2014, 00:02
For those who can't see the image, it is a "meme" style image and the text on the image reads:

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses - Plato

I never heard that quote from Plato before, and I dont know for sure if its legit, but I think it sums us up quite well!

--

Great find John, looks like a legit one...

http://allpoetry.com/quote/by/Plato

Namaste

Hervé
13th September 2014, 00:33
Yep!

Apparently it is to be found in Plato's The Republic.

The key word being "culture"... you know, that thing one grows up with and within like fish in water...

Of course, in order to jar one out of one culture, one needs to immerse in another one to be able to compare... hence the usefulness of multiculturalism... like, "What do you mean you don't sacrifice chickens to your god!?!"... "... and she doesn't get angry?"... "... waow..."

Accordingly, the danger is only one culture planet-wide, where there is nothing to compare it with...

dim
13th September 2014, 02:30
so, i have the same exact problem i had almost 2500 years ago, right...

Daughter of Time
13th September 2014, 03:40
That is indeed from Plato's "The Republic", and indeed it sums it up.

However, there have been criticisms by a number scholars who disagree with Plato by stating that the reverse is what's true, meaning, those who see beyond their culture's lies are the innovators and creators of new paradigms. This is also true, but only to a very small extent.

I agree with Plato.