PDA

View Full Version : School orders girl to remove "Virginity Rocks" t-shirt

Maia Gabrial
17th September 2014, 17:11
I thought you all would get a kick out of this article!

School orders girl to remove ‘Virginity Rocks’ shirt
Virginity does not rock at Ramay Junior High School in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

That’s the lesson 13-year-old Chloe Rubiano learned. Chloe is in the eighth grade. She is also a good church-going girl. So you can imagine her mom’s surprise when she got in trouble at school.

Chloe showed up at school wearing a T-shirt that reads: “Virginity Rocks.”

“It’s a positive message,” said Bambi Crozier, Chloe’s mom.

Apparently some folks at Ramay Junior High don’t understand the concept of virginity.

But school officials disagreed. They said the shirt could cause a classroom disruption and contained sexual content. Apparently some folks at Ramay Junior High don’t understand the concept of virginity.

[link http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/09/16/school-orders-girl-to-remove-virginity-rocks-shirt/?intcmp=latestnews

So.....common core can teach 11 yr olds about fetishes, how to use sex toys and all that....but this shirt is innapropriate?

Riiiggghhhht.

I see an agenda

donk
17th September 2014, 17:31
I hope she was wearing something under it. I guess making her strip though is in line with what they want the kids to learn?

PurpleLama
17th September 2014, 17:55
No clothing, hats, backpacks or jewelry:

that advertise or depict alcohol, drugs, tobacco or
tobacco products, violence, hate themes,
racial/gender degradation, sexually
explicit or
suggestive wording or pictures, gang affiliation, gang
related tattoos, or gang monikers, subject
matter/groups that promotes illegal activities, or
clothing likely to cause a disruption within the school
environment

From page eight of the Ramay Junior High School Handbook. (http://ramay.fayar.net/pages/Ramay_Junior_High_School/News/New_Edline_link__HILL_08_28_20)

Dunno, I can see how a JHS in the South might find any sexual reference on an article of clothing to be potentially disruptive, given how conservative culture is down here.

araucaria
17th September 2014, 18:36
I guess it wouldn’t happen in Virginia :).

But you guys are barking up the wrong tree. The offensive words is Rocks, meaning testicles, as in ‘to get your rocks off’, to reach orgasm. It is naturally a sensitive subject in Arkansas, where Bill Clinton and doubtless many others never quite got over the fact of being a Little Rocker.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/rocks

So, not only do we have an offensive sexual allusion, we have a case of cognitive dissonance: virginity side by side with the enemy of virginity – a big no-no.
A better slogan might be Rocks Rock Virginity :)

Violet
17th September 2014, 19:50
I agree with the inappropriateness of the shirt in a school context on a regular schoolday.

So.....common core can teach 11 yr olds about fetishes, how to use sex toys and all that....but this shirt is innapropriate?

I went to Catholic school and the worse sexual content came towards our 17th age where we viewed a Belgian movie (forgot the name) and were confronted quite unexpectedly with a bed scene that still today I think was too harsh for our age back then. That was in the large lunch hall on a big screen with a bunch of other classes with students that we did not know very well. Very awkward moment. Prior to that we had had the standard introduction to this topic which was done rather professionally by a non-profit organisation that was active in the field.

What you describe, Maia, was introduced to us at age 14 back then. No sex toys, but just vaguely masturbation, condoms and other anticonception.