PDA

View Full Version : Make a mains generator!

Anchor
2nd November 2010, 04:44
Most houses have things in them that contain induction motors.

If you are a bit handy, you can make these into generators (assuming you can hook up a suitable motor, waterwheel, etc etc) and understand the basic mechanics and physics involved.

I have not done this myself, but if I ever get time to do this I will, it sounds like heaps of fun and suitably dangerous :)

http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

Anchor
2nd November 2010, 04:57
Here is another - steam powered.

http://www.otherpower.com/steamengine.shtml

Strat
17th November 2010, 19:01
Here is another - steam powered.

http://www.otherpower.com/steamengine.shtml

Now that is cool!

Ahkenaten
17th November 2010, 19:38
very cool.....................

Otho
24th January 2011, 16:33
Thanks, that's great! I've just begun to investigate diy power generation. I recently was checking into wind (google diy 1000 watt wind turbine). Really there are all sorts of creative ways one can imagine to drive a turbine: wind, water, human, animal or even "piggybacking" on some existing force. Was contemplating water pressure in municiple pipes for example, and imagining turbines inserted in front of sufficiently large end users, like, say, the hideously wasteful golf course.
I'm new to Avelon and not sure what your focus is , John, but it seems to me that in any sort of decentralized survival scheme, power generation is key.

Cheers

Anchor
24th January 2011, 23:13
Thanks, that's great! I've just begun to investigate diy power generation. I recently was checking into wind (google diy 1000 watt wind turbine). Really there are all sorts of creative ways one can imagine to drive a turbine: wind, water, human, animal or even "piggybacking" on some existing force. Was contemplating water pressure in municiple pipes for example, and imagining turbines inserted in front of sufficiently large end users, like, say, the hideously wasteful golf course.
I'm new to Avelon and not sure what your focus is , John, but it seems to me that in any sort of decentralized survival scheme, power generation is key.

Cheers

It is not essential, but it is convenient.

Access to power generation saves you time. I have power tools. They are all battery powered. Recharging can be solar, generator etc. The batteries I bought recently (common to all my tools ) are only good for 2000 cycles... then what? Back to hand tools! You do have to plan ahead, but I think that effective power generation in the short and mid term gives you an easier time to adapt to not having any power - and its pretty useful when storms take out the electrical grid something rural Australia experiences frequently - though rarely for longer than 4hrs at a time.

Another factor is in a "collapse" scenario, most mechanical and fuel based generation options are only any good while you can get the diesel or petrol for them. If they have mechanical problems, it may be beyond fixing without a modern machine shop.

My main objective is to achieve a self sufficient and off-grid life-style. Not because I think there will be a collapse, but because I want to and I think that is the way I want to live - so most of my plans assume that in 10-15 years I can replace the batteries in my PV system, or buy diesel for my generator. If the worst comes, then I bought myself an easier opportunity to adapt.

Otho
25th January 2011, 18:30
Well considered, John. I'm also into self sufficiency for it's own sake and live pretty lightly. I guess I'm in a bit of a siege mentality lately here in California, hence the considerations around collapse, etc.
I imagine rural Australia has a good chance of remaining rural Australia, regardless of what happens elsewhere. Never been but have good friends from NSW. Seems like a special place.

TWINNICK
26th January 2011, 07:29
I wouldn't mind having a magnetic perpetual DC generator that I can run my caravan on, and have a pure sine wave inverter for the AC stuff.

About 110 amps car alternator should do it for me to charge a couple of 120 amp batteries with solar back up perhaps, then I could pull up anywhere and power all my stuff with out a care in the world( well at least not power wise anyway). I don't use or need much power so a 2.5-3 k inverter should keep me happy. I've got a Waeco 50lt DC car fridge which I think is one of the best investments I've ever made, has not missed a beat in 7-8 years and in Andamooka S.A. it reached 48 c for the week I was visiting a mate and kept my food and drinks at a lovely 3 degree's with out even raising a sweat.
Plus it sniffs a measely 2-3 amps when its running on cycle and only 5+ amps when you first turn it on and it has to chill everything down (bloody marvelous).

Free energy is what we all need, slightly bigger systems for home and family's and a small portable system for when your mobile in your van or motorhome.

..Nick..

silentghost80
26th January 2011, 07:46
I wouldn't mind having a magnetic perpetual DC generator that I can run my caravan on, and have a pure sine wave inverter for the AC stuff.

i always thought magnets lose there magnetism after so much use ?(unless you mean electromagnetism)

Anchor
26th January 2011, 08:13

About 110 amps car alternator should do it for me to charge a couple of 120 amp batteries with solar back up perhaps, then I could pull up anywhere and power all my stuff with out a care in the world( well at least not power wise anyway). I don't use or need much power so a 2.5-3 k inverter should keep me happy. I've got a Waeco 50lt DC car fridge which I think is one of the best investments I've ever made, has not missed a beat in 7-8 years and in Andamooka S.A. it reached 48 c for the week I was visiting a mate and kept my food and drinks at a lovely 3 degree's with out even raising a sweat.
Plus it sniffs a measely 2-3 amps when its running on cycle and only 5+ amps when you first turn it on and it has to chill everything down (bloody marvelous).

Free energy is what we all need, slightly bigger systems for home and family's and a small portable system for when your mobile in your van or motorhome.

..Nick..

Nick,

I designed and set up a number of systems like this. If you know this stuff already - please don't take offence.

A 3k inverter is actually quite big for a van. Lets say you had the kettle on and perhaps another item and were nearing your 12.5 amps limit (3kva, @ 240v aussie mains), you will be pulling nearly 300A from your batteries (assuming 12V batteries that are well charged (to say 13.8v) and 86% inverter efficiency). This has some rather unfortunate consequences:

1) You will be *really* caning the batteries - even if you have 300Ah of "house" battery you will be discharging it a C/1 also as the voltage decreases, the inverter will demand more current making it worse. Most batteries capacity is rated at discharge rates of C/100 (3A in my example) or C/10 (30A in my example) so your 300 Ah battery under such a load may only perform like a 200Ah or worse. For this scenario you would probably want to carry at least 600Ah of battery - and that is heavy (around 240Kg for gel types).

2) The cables carrying this from the batteries to the inverter will need to be HUGE to avoid too much voltage drop and thus wastage due to heat. Probably 50mm˛ in cross sectional area or bigger. In some cases I have seen people run two runs of cable to make 100mm˛ (even for as little as a 2m run) to maintain efficiency and performance under surge load conditions.

3) Solar batteries are rated for deep discharge, but car batteries or not. I expect you know this. If you discharge a car battery beyond about 10% and leave it for any significant time you will kill them (or reduce their working life significantly). Solar batteries are usually rated on number of charge discharge cycles to 80% discharged - often this is between 600-1600 cycles - however, if you oversize the battery array and discharge it less, then the cycle count improves.

My solar powered work shed has a 3Kva rig which uses 800Ah of battery but arranged in a 24v array. If I had my choices again, I would make it a 48v array - but now I am wedded to 24v systems to maintain redundancy ;) Also a 3Kva inverter is freaking expensive. (>$3000 AUD)

If you have not done it yet - when choosing your inverter, go for an inverter charger with a power support option. What that means is that you can run a mains generator (or camp site supply) to the inverter, and then this will power your mains load and charge batteries (when the sun isnt shining) - but if you need more power, the inverter and the generator can work in concert to start induction motors - like those on washing machines which can take surges of 4-8 times their rated capacity to start.

A 2Kva Honda EU is quiet, 53dBA at 7m under 1/4 load and is only 20kg. Awesome for your requirement.

Finally I love your fridge :) I have an ARB one - very similar design but extra ruggedized for my 4WD - 35L. Today, its the hottest Australia Day in 20years, but I got all my fresh food from a 2.5hr drive from A to B with no hassles. Definately a complete asset. Ours has saved the day when our house fridge malfunctioned - awesome.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

peterspm
29th January 2011, 09:58
i always thought magnets lose there magnetism after so much use ?(unless you mean electromagnetism)

they do but in increments of many years, 100's.
Bob Boyces d9.pdf document turns dc into hho, explanation of what to do with timing and O2 sensor in it.
Bedini's radiant charger is a great way to extract energy from 'the vacuum', to charge batteries. it'll charge 3 batteries from 1 battery and not deplete that 1 battery. that gives one 2 batteries of free 12 volt supply.
peter

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Bob Boyces d9.pdf document turns dc into hho, explanation of what to do with timing and O2 sensor in it.
Bedini's radiant charger is a great way to extract energy from 'the vacuum', to charge batteries. it'll charge 3 batteries from 1 battery and not deplete that 1 battery. that gives one 2 batteries of free 12 volt supply.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

that is so cool! thank you very much!

peterspm
29th January 2011, 10:01
Most houses have things in them that contain induction motors.

If you are a bit handy, you can make these into generators (assuming you can hook up a suitable motor, waterwheel, etc etc) and understand the basic mechanics and physics involved.

I have not done this myself, but if I ever get time to do this I will, it sounds like heaps of fun and suitably dangerous :)

http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

my apologies for not knowing how to post and trying it again.
that mains generator is SO cool! I appreciate that information, thank you.
peter

TWINNICK
30th January 2011, 10:10
I wish I had something now to keep me going, a big gum tree down the road bought down power lines about an hour ago and my laptop battery is going flat while the ETSA crews fix the problem.
Its been 41deg c here today and gum tree's are known to drop limbs, its pretty hot in the van with no fans going i can tell you.

Going to have to turn off soon.... NNNOOOOOOOOOO Hurry up fellas.

..Nick..

passiglight
30th January 2011, 11:46
Its a real shame that prof john searl has been treated the way he has because eitherwise we would all have access to the SEG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-O7WNvKSvY