10th December 2014, 01:43
and here's an image that gives some perspective on how big Galaxies can be

http://i.imgur.com/6Tp9g0S.jpg

EWO
10th December 2014, 03:25
This is Way cool.

ghostrider
10th December 2014, 04:00
check out the hybrid Librarian's video on the largest things in space ... this stuff is way cool ... Like the plane going around a Sun at 900 mph or something like that, would take 1,100 years to orbit it once ... I see things in space and it makes me feel so small ... like a flea on an Elephant ...

rgray222
10th December 2014, 04:05
~wow~

~wow~

~wow~

Amethyst
Great topic and great video. When you start putting your life in the context of the universe it changes everything almost overnight. When you think about things such as religion, evolution and even Einsteins theory of relativity all bets are off. Everything changes. Evolution seems impossible, Einsteins speed limit becomes meaningless (it was a first good effort but it is infantile in the scope of the universe) and religion becomes and enormous enigma. When you ponder the known universe it almost becomes impossible not to believe in a Creator. I had some life changing events years ago that really gave me pause. After attempting to wrap my mind around many different topics it was the universe that finally unlocked the most important door. When we think about our purpose in this life, why we are 'here'....not on earth but in the universe it makes much more sense. Of course there is much more but in a nutshell we should all be thinking about the universe to achieve some satisfaction in our lives!

Natalia
10th December 2014, 17:50
usYC_Z36rHw

Skyhaven
10th December 2014, 19:10
I like this particular one below too, its not about stars alone, it's about sizes. I've seen video's like these many times, and still I just sit in awe, realizing I am drifting somewhere in there, and this is just what I can perceive... think of the possibilities, my god the endless possibilities, oh here I go again... I am thinking about infinity again. :o

EMLPJqeW78Q

nenosema
11th December 2014, 14:20
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd397/otherwanderer/deepintodeepfield.png (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/otherwanderer/media/deepintodeepfield.png.html)

Amazing topic. I am not sure how accurate this image is.

Deega
11th December 2014, 14:49
Whoua!, and still our World Leaders try to have us believed that we are along in this tremendous Universe. I hope they took the time to see such a presentation. Thanks for sharing.

rgray222
11th December 2014, 15:42
This is one of the most controversial photos that NASA has ever taken, they pointed the Hubble Telescope at deep space, an extremely small area of total blackness in the universe. Many NASA scientist and astronomers thought it would be a complete waste of time to point the telescope at "nothing" for a long period of time. They thought it was a waste of money and resouces.

Little did they know that they would get one of the most interesting and fascinating photos ever taken. The photo below is a 2009 updated picture. The "nothing" in the universe turned out to be thousands of unknown galaxies and billions upon billions of stars. Many so called "experts" attempt to tell us how big the universe is..........the truth is nobody on planet earth has a clue!

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/690951main_hs-2009-31-a-xlarge_web.jpg

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field is an image of a small area of space in the constellation Fornax, created using Hubble Space Telescope data from 2003 and 2004. By collecting faint light over many hours of observation, it revealed thousands of galaxies, both nearby and very distant, making it the deepest image of the universe ever taken. Photo updated in 2009

Omni
12th December 2014, 04:05
I wonder what the differences are in planetary life with sun's that big... Thanks for the posts in this thread everyone. Loved them. :)

leavesoftrees
12th December 2014, 07:57
If you ever get a chance see the IMAX 3D Hubble film. It is amazing

Natalia
15th December 2014, 20:13
The Universe - Biggest Things in Space

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1p90jp_the-universe-s02-e16-biggest-things-in-space_tv

(the one on you tube is out of sync...)...

Star Tsar
16th December 2014, 10:23
Biggest Stars in the known Universe! Or what has been allowed to be known to us.
:thumb:

Mike Gorman
16th December 2014, 13:25
check out the hybrid Librarian's video on the largest things in space ... this stuff is way cool ... Like the plane going around a Sun at 900 mph or something like that, would take 1,100 years to orbit it once ... I see things in space and it makes me feel so small ... like a flea on an Elephant ...

The sun is pretty big, but flying around the surface in a jet airliner would take approx 205 days - not 1,100 years - if you are talking one of the really big stars Antares or Canis Majoris then you are talking 1000's of years

Nick Matkin
16th December 2014, 16:38
That is referring to the time a jet would take to circle the star VY Canis Majoris, not the sun. Stated diameter of VY Canis Majoris is 2,800,000,000 km. Circumference is therefore approx 8,796,000,000 km.

At 900 km per hour it will take 9.77 million hours which is... 1,115 years. I think the video on this occasion is correct.

Nick

ghostrider
16th December 2014, 17:47

The sun is pretty big, but flying around the surface in a jet airliner would take approx 205 days - not 1,100 years - if you are talking one of the really big stars Antares or Canis Majoris then you are talking 1000's of years

it's talking about one of the very big stars , 1,100 years to circle it once ... it's the stat mentioned in the video ...

Natalia
16th December 2014, 21:01
PLQF-4uyD4Y

bogeyman
16th December 2014, 21:35
It puts things into context regarding our existence and lives we are a small part of something far greater than we can understand

Natalia
16th December 2014, 21:37
It puts things into context regarding our existence and lives we are a small part of something far greater than we can understand

It does, and it's also beautiful and magical to watch :)