PDA

View Full Version : Pirate site The Pirate Bay goes down, then sails for Costa Rica

Rahkyt
10th December 2014, 02:11
Sweden finally succumbed. RIP Piratebay. It will be nice if the cloud-based structure touted in the below article does come active. We shall see.

Pirate site The Pirate Bay goes down, then sails for Costa Rica (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2857735/pirate-site-the-pirate-bay-goes-down-then-sails-for-costa-rica.html)

The original home of The Pirate Bay, probably the Web’s highest-profile site for copyrighted movies, music, and software, is no longer online.

However, at least a placeholder is alive on a Costa Rican domain—though not much more than that.

TorrentFreak first noted the outage. The site’s reporters said that they had received a statement from Paul Pintér, Sweden's police national coordinator for IP enforcement, claiming that there had been a raid on a server room owned by The Pirate Bay at a site in Stockholm.

According to earlier reporting from the site, however, The Pirate Bay had moved to a cloud-based infrastucture that used 21 “virtual servers” controlled by a load balancer. The idea, according to The Pirate Bay, was that the distributed architecture would make it “raid-proof,” as the site could simply be moved from domain to domain. Whether that’s the case or not, time will tell.

The Pirate Bay’s Twitter feed has gone dark since Dec. 3. Related sites, such Suprbay.org, are also offline, as are Bayimg.com and Pastebay.net. The mobile version of The Pirate Bay, themobilebay.org, also timed out when PCWorld tried to access it.

Want to learn more about the history of The Pirate Bay? Check out the timeline that TechHive constructed last year.

Why this matters: The Pirate Bay has served both as a rallying point both for those who are too cheap to pay for electronic media as well as more civic-minded folk who used the site as a form or protest against increasingly draconian copyright laws.The Pirate Bay has always touted itself as the “most resilient” pirate site on the Web; we’ll find out exactly how resilient over the course of the next few days, it seems.

sigma6
10th December 2014, 07:25
In the world of computer technology... never say never... when it comes down to the programmers and hackers vs the government bureaucrats... I'm betting on the people who built the internet, as opposed to bureaucrats who feed off taxes (other's labour siphoned via the banking system) and who are now trying to find a way to feed off the internet... thanks for the heads up, Pirates Bay was one of the biggest reasons to justify running a Microsoft OS... (just barely... lol)

Then again now I know why I maintain my own library of anything I "use", software, audios, videos, text, as much as I can... After all that is one thing computers are ideal for creating... It's a bit of work organizing and maintaining at the beginning, but has long term benefits (if you are into libraries ;)... and the cost of storage keeps going down and backup technology has simplified greatly... knock on wood...

muxfolder
10th December 2014, 08:35
They've been after the Pirate Bay for years so it was about time they succeeded to get it offline. I'm sure there'll always be new torrent sites to fill in tpb.

nenosema
13th December 2014, 20:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijo98_nUhrk

http://web.archive.org/web/20141209032500/http://thepiratebay.se/user/stealthisfilm

Rahkyt
14th December 2014, 00:01
Yeh, they're still down. In the years I've been using that site its never been down for more than a few hours that I've noticed as they've shifted servers. Yeh, there are there are other sites.

But they are not the Piratebay. That space had a great community of dedicated users who were interactive and critical, on point and open. You could count on the posters and the content. If there was a problem, you knew it.

Ah well. We'll see what the future holds...

sigma6
3rd January 2015, 07:15
they're baaaaaaaaaaaack.... “Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning... ” lol... (btw... you can't kill an idea)

And this is the internet after all... i.e. a world of unlimited interconnectivity... - the closest thing we have to a technological equivalent of the metaphorical "Matrix" (which itself was a metaphorical reference to the Roman philosophical/political/commercial/imperialist control system we were born into... :)

...they appear to be rebuilding the site... there must be a hidden stash of backups somewhere O.o? I see a vestige of the original site, the search engines are working, software listings, some seeder and leech stats... still a lot missing... couldn't download just yet...

...all in good time... overall computer sales, especially hardware, but also including sales of many MS products would suffer significantly if there was no 'pirated' software to "purchase" (and yes that is technically, and legally the correct usage of the word ;-)

Look to your own personal experience... without software, I would never have invested the several thousands I did on hardware over the years... or the hundreds of hours of learning and troubleshooting that I did.... it's not as simple Bill Gates (and others make it out to be...) They are simply not in a position to tell the truth. Never will be... the real 'truth' of this market is so much more complex.

update: getting a functional test download in progress (MS Office 2013 2.26GB...) coming in at 1.2 MB/s yeah baby!

...who thinks Pirate's-Bay is just one man?

DeDukshyn
3rd January 2015, 21:54
they're baaaaaaaaaaaack.... “Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning... ” lol... (btw... you can't kill an idea)

And this is the internet after all... i.e. a world of unlimited interconnectivity... - the closest thing we have to a technological equivalent of the metaphorical "Matrix" (which itself was a metaphorical reference to the Roman philosophical/political/commercial/imperialist control system we were born into... :)

...they appear to be rebuilding the site... there must be a hidden stash of backups somewhere O.o? I see a vestige of the original site, the search engines are working, software listings, some seeder and leech stats... still a lot missing... couldn't download just yet...

...all in good time... overall computer sales, especially hardware, but also including sales of many MS products would suffer significantly if there was no 'pirated' software to "purchase" (and yes that is technically, and legally the correct usage of the word ;-)

Look to your own personal experience... without software, I would never have invested the several thousands I did on hardware over the years... or the hundreds of hours of learning and troubleshooting that I did.... it's not as simple Bill Gates (and others make it out to be...) They are simply not in a position to tell the truth. Never will be... the real 'truth' of this market is so much more complex.

update: getting a functional test download in progress (MS Office 2013 2.26GB...) coming in at 1.2 MB/s yeah baby!

...who thinks Pirate's-Bay is just one man?

Eh? Do you have a link?

Rahkyt
3rd January 2015, 23:56
LOL Going to the Piratebay's old site, you get a countdown and a pirate flag waving in the background. No links or anything but it is nice to see that! GO PIRATEBAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

DeDukshyn
4th January 2015, 00:10
LOL Going to the Piratebay's old site, you get a countdown and a pirate flag waving in the background. No links or anything but it is nice to see that! GO PIRATEBAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

The speculation is that new launch occurs Feb 1st -- time the countdown ends ;) I have little doubt it'll be back again at some point.