PDA

View Full Version : Honey Traps

Tangri
20th December 2014, 02:24
To set up honey bee trap you need to have distinctive motive.

1- You don’t like bee species at all kind (honey, yellowjackets, and hornets) and you want to catch & destroy them
2- You want to have your own honey hive (because of loving bee, because of the financial value of honey and beeswax,)
If you have second motivation, you need to research to learn all type of bee species, to distinguish their division. It helps foreseen the danger that might come from Bees’ string.

Tangri
20th December 2014, 02:25
To set up honey bee trap you need to have distinctive motive.

1- You don’t like bee species at all kind (honey, yellowjackets, and hornets) and you want to catch & destroy them
2- You want to have your own honey hive (because of loving bee, because of the financial value of honey and beeswax,)
If you have second motivation, you need to research to learn all type of bee species, to distinguish their division. It helps foreseen the danger that might come from Bees’ string.

Like this metaphor acts; trappers, not trained hunters and unwanted foragers do not have efficient patient or search structure to search in hives. Also this kind of writing helps to build cloaking for not meant eyes. Waves (embodied idea) and the host material (metaphor) in which they propagate have a symbiotic relationship: both act on each other.
When a practitioner become a forager and start foraging, they are attracted the others (same kinds) as their food source. Separating bee traps and forage (nectar and pollen from blooming plants) is necessary during foraging.
I am considering myself “foraging in expanse land of Avalon Forum” for nectar and pollens, while avoiding already built traps or newly decorated ones.
What is your place here, any comment?

Robin
20th December 2014, 04:18

Why...?

I love bees of all kinds, including the ones that sting me. To me, this shows their willingness to embody the art of self-defense, which is an integral virtue that is virtually deplete in Homo sapiens.

Catching and destroying these denizens, which according to you, are useless because they don't provide honey to you, is ignoring the underlying complexity of the micro ecosystem. Keeping honeybees can be a mutual benefaction for both humans and honeybees if the relationship is based on care, but this also comes with the inevitable realization that humans steal the product that the bees have intensely worked to produce, through non-stop harvesting of pollen, maintaining the hive headquarters, dodging predators, pollinating your fruit trees and other crops, and regurgitating a golden sap rich in nutrients that was meant solely for their survival through the winter.

All this work is taken away from them because humans love the taste of this sweet substance.

Though I appreciate the beekeeper who understands this relationship and truly cares for the welfare of bees, in which I myself have undertaken, there is something to be said of those bee species that are not under the direct influence of me. Those bees who prefer to live a solitary lifestyle, a life of independence and freedom, who pollinate the world's flora without being bound by the economic shackle of human society...are the ones that I want to protect most. It is these native, solitary bees that are the true ecosystem enhancers...not honeybees.

Bees only sting when they feel that their lives are being threatened. I have been around tens of thousands of bees in my lifetime, including hundreds of different native species out in the wild...and I haven't been stung once. It is the honeybees that sting, and it is the honeybees that are destructive towards local flora and fauna, and it is the honeybees that are one example of humans putting a price-tag on everything their hands touch, claiming for their own.

Ellisa
20th December 2014, 04:28
And at the moment the real honey bees are very busy dying out-- they need all the help they can get.

Apulu
20th December 2014, 10:41
An interesting metaphor. I would say that there will always be honey traps, and people catching bees, so we bees be best aware! And perhaps learn to evolve away from hive-minded complacency...

Tangri
20th December 2014, 11:24

Why...?

I love bees of all kinds, including the ones that sting me. To me, this shows their willingness to embody the art of self-defense, which is an integral virtue that is virtually deplete in Homo sapiens.

Though I appreciate the beekeeper who understands this relationship and truly cares for the welfare of bees, in which I myself have undertaken, there is something to be said of those bee species that are not under the direct influence of me. Those bees who prefer to live a solitary lifestyle, a life of independence and freedom, who pollinate the world's flora without being bound by the economic shackle of human society...are the ones that I want to protect most. It is these native, solitary bees that are the true ecosystem enhancers...not honeybees.

I didn't intent to talk about beekeepers, but maybe you are right, even though they definitely deserve an another thread I should say 1 or 2 words here.

The animal rights group PETA has considered beekeeping an unethical activity, claiming that "honeybees are victims of unnatural living conditions, genetic manipulation, and stressful transportation.

Tangri
20th December 2014, 11:28
And at the moment the real honey bees are very busy dying out-- they need all the help they can get.

That brings the another question. Are we going to need the beekeepers to save foraging bees in sake of nature?

Tangri
20th December 2014, 11:36
An interesting metaphor. I would say that there will always be honey traps, and people catching bees, so we bees be best aware! And perhaps learn to evolve away from hive-minded complacency...

Almost 4 years of membership and 19 post? Do not hide your treasures(honey) from us:yield:

Sith73
20th December 2014, 13:21
I support a local bee keeper by buying raw honey from him once a month. Raw honey is awesome stuff.

Tangri
20th December 2014, 23:21
Yesterday I put little honey pot outside and look what I had as a visitors.

Tangri
20th December 2014, 23:24
Ta ta !
And finally, I got what I expected. Even though number is low, it is still promising.

Ellisa
21st December 2014, 00:25
We need to save bees (all kinds) as without their work of pollination life will be extremely different, maybe even impossible. I think it was Einstein who remarked something along the lines suggesting that the death of bees would be the death of plants, and without plants it's all over!

Why do I feel that this post is one big metaphor?

Tangri
21st December 2014, 00:37
We need to save bees (all kinds) as without their work of pollination life will be extremely different, maybe even impossible. I think it was Einstein who remarked something along the lines suggesting that the death of bees would be the death of plants, and without plants it's all over!

Why do I feel that this post is one big metaphor?

Maybe because of the second post :o

wnlight
21st December 2014, 04:30
Samwise, I agree with your post except for this "it is the honeybees that are destructive towards local flora and fauna". Can you give me a source of information for their destructive nature?

I like them all, and I do not remember being stung by any kind of bee more than eight times total in my 71 years. (Four of those in one day when I was removing a hive from a person's house back in '76.)

Robin
21st December 2014, 05:10
Samwise, I agree with your post except for this "it is the honeybees that are destructive towards local flora and fauna". Can you give me a source of information for their destructive nature?

I love and appreciate honeybees, I really do. Likewise, I appreciate the beekeeper who is conscious of his or her actions in caring for their colonies, and I know members of Avalon who are loving beekeepers.

Honey bees are not native to North America. They were brought over from Europe many centuries ago, and along with the bees came diseases that continue to spread throughout our ecosystems. They are by definition an "invasive species," because they are in competition with local species. There are thousands of different species of native bees in North America which pollinate ecosystems, and they do not need to be managed by humans. They just go about their business and work independently, instead of as a colony.

Honeybees continue to take over the niches that native bees once commandeered effectively. They continue to drive populations of native bees down, which overall creates a lack of diversity in ecosystems. Because these native bees are dying out, many plants are also dying out, which causes a rift down the food-chain.

Honeybees are nearly impossible to fully manage, because when their numbers increase, they produce a swarm. They spread and spread to every corner of the ecosystem and bring along different diseases that were nonexistent until the honeybees came around.

In addition, Africanized bees, a hybrid of European and African bees, are responsible for many deaths of humans and other animals all across North America due to their extreme territorial behavior.

This is a good link (http://www.vegetus.org/honey/ecology.htm) to check out to read more.

Aspen
21st December 2014, 06:22
I am a forager here on Avalon and trust in my instincts never to get caught in another honey trap. I have been caught in several (metaphorically) I think in my lifetime. Experience is the best teacher . . .

Samwise the Brave is right about the honeybees bringing their diseases to the wild bees. But I think the greater risk is the pesticides that are used all over the world and that kill both the honeybees and the wild bees. Here in Northern Canada, where I live, there is not much risk of the honey bees taking over from the wild bees because the winters kill any swarms that get away from the beekeeper. I do feel sorry for the few hives I do keep through the winter. I always leave them lots of honey and pollen, not just sugar water and I wrap them up really well in insulation. Usually most of the honey is still left in the spring and the hives are strong. I prefer to think of it as a symbiotic relationship. I do admit I was pretty horrified 30 years ago when I worked for a commercial beekeeper and he gassed his bees at the end of the summer with cyanide 1000 hive! He did this every year . . . and bought new packages in the spring. I couldn't stomach that . . .

I was surprised at the number of wild bees that came to an apple tree about a mile from where I live. I had no idea there were so many wild bees in Northern Alberta! But I don't think they do well in the open farmland, especially not on the ones where the farmers clear all the trees and wild plants. It destroys their habitat. I suspect that where I live the wild bee population could be sustained very well by leaving more wilderness areas, shrubs etc.