PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis metal orichalcum found in shipwreck

Skywizard
8th January 2015, 22:21
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/orichalcum_retrieved-670x440.jpg
A team of divers recovered nearly 40 ingots off the sea floor near Siciliy, from a ship that was
lost in the sixth century.

Gleaming cast metal called orichalcum, which was said by Ancient Greeks to be found in
Atlantis, has been recovered from a ship that sunk 2,600 years ago off the coast of Sicily.

The lumps of metal were arriving to Gela in southern Sicily, possibly coming from Greece or Asia Minor. The ship that was carrying them was likely caught in a storm and sunk just when it was about to enter the port.

"The wreck dates to the first half of the sixth century," Sebastiano Tusa, Sicily's superintendent of the Sea Office, told Discovery News. "It was found about 1,000 feet from Gela's coast at a depth of 10 feet."

He noted that the 39 ingots found on the sandy sea floor represent a unique finding.

"Nothing similar has ever been found," Tusa said. "We knew orichalcum from ancient texts and a few ornamental objects."

Indeed orichalcum has long been considered a mysterious metal, its composition and origin widely debated.

According to the ancient Greeks, it was invented by Cadmus, a Greek-Phoenician mythological character. The fourth century B.C. Greek philosopher Plato made orichalcum a legendary metal when he mentioned it in the Critias dialogue.

Describing Atlantis as flashing "with the red light of orichalcum," he wrote that the metal, second only in value to gold, was mined in the mythical island and was used to cover Poseidon's temple interior walls, columns and floors.

Today most scholars agree orichalcum is a brass-like alloy, which was made in antiquity by cementation. This process was achieved with the reaction of zinc ore, charcoal and copper metal in a crucible.

Analyzed with X-ray fluorescence by Dario Panetta, of TQ - Tecnologies for Quality, the 39 ingots turned to be an alloy made with 75-80 percent copper, 15-20 percent zinc and small percentages of nickel, lead and iron.

"The finding confirms that about a century after its foundation in 689 B.C., Gela grew to become a wealthy city with artisan workshops specialized in the production of prized artifacts," Tusa said.

The 39 ingots recovered from the wreck were indeed destined to these workshops and were used in high quality decorations.

According to Enrico Mattievich, a retired professor of physics who taught at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), the ingots are not properly made from orichalcum.

"It appears they are lumps of latone metal, an alloy of copper, zinc and lead," he told Discovery News.

Mattievich, who has led a number of studies in physics applied to mineralogy, paleontology and archaeology, is one of the scholars who disagree on the brass-like nature of orichalcum.

While other scholars equated the mysterious metal to amber and to other copper based alloys, Mattievich believes orichalcum has its roots in the Peruvian Andes and in the Chavín civilization that developed there from 1200 B.C. to 200 B.C.

According to the scholar, who claimed in his book "Journey to the Mythological Inferno" that the ancient Greeks had discovered America, a metallic alloy "with fire-Iike reflections" similar to Plato's description was found in a set of metallic jaguars of Chavin style, which turned to be made of 9 percent copper, 76 percent gold and 15 percent silver.

Whatever the origins and nature of orichalcum, Tusa's team plans to excavate the shipwreck and bring to light the entire cargo.

"It will provide us with precious information on Sicily's most ancient economic history," Tusa said.

Source: http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/atlantis-legendary-metal-found-in-shipwreck-150106.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

peace...

shadowstalker
8th January 2015, 22:38
So why don't the have a photo of the metal, nothing but fishies in the article.

jerry
8th January 2015, 23:43
Professor Sebastiano Tusa, an archaeologist at the office of the Superintendent of the Sea in Sicily, claimed the metal they had discovered in the remains of the ship was probably the mythical and highly prized red metal orichalcum.
Analysis of the metal ingots revealed they were made from an alloy of copper and zinc with traces of nickel, lead and iron.
Speaking to Discovery News, Professor Tusa said: 'Nothing similar has ever been found.
'We knew orichalcum from ancient texts and a few ornamental objects.
'The wreck dates to the first half of the sixth century.
'It was found about 1,000 feet from Gela's coast at a depth of 10 feet.'
If the metal discovered by Professor Tusa and his team is really the mythical orichalcum, then it lends support to the idea of Atlantis as being a real place.
eKsU375H7Iw

ThePythonicCow
9th January 2015, 00:28
A team of divers recovered nearly 40 ingots off the sea floor near Siciliy, from a ship that was lost in the sixth century.

Professor Sebastiano Tusa, an archaeologist at the office of the Superintendent of the Sea in Sicily, claimed the metal they had discovered in the remains of the ship was probably the mythical and highly prized red metal orichalcum.
Threads merged :).

Snoweagle
9th January 2015, 00:31
Atlantis is there in mid Atlantic where the ancient records said it was.

It's been scrubbed from Google Earth after the Daily Telegraph published the findings of a schoolteacher of his research whether by interest or school exercise.

Google takes it's map data from NOAA part of the spy ring science group. Spooks.

Google president Schmidt has bought himself a UAV Merchabt vessel to play with.

David Cameron the film director has strong business interests in the subsea science.

The recent French aircraft crashing south of the map position brought all the subsea assets to the region to find the black boxes. Afterwards, I believe they travelled to the map location and checked that out. It was Atlantis and they knew it. They just do not want you to know.

ThePythonicCow
9th January 2015, 00:36
So why don't the have a photo of the metal, nothing but fishies in the article.

Ah - here we go - from Rare orichalcum metal said to be from the legendary Atlantis recovered from 2,600-year-old shipwreck (ancient-origins.net) (http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/rare-orichalcum-metal-shipwreck-legendary-atlantis-020158):
http://www.ancient-origins.net/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/orichalucum-ingots.jpg?itok=lVvInoOV

Snoweagle
9th January 2015, 00:59
The walls of Atalantis were adourned with crests of Gold all around Atlantis as recorded by Plato. It Harmonised Humanity. The original Atlanteans were the giants. At the time of Plato's reference the time saw in itself the physical changes as species changed and co-existed over a fairly short span of time. The city itself would have had huge monster pallisades and huge gateways and even big steps testamment to gait of the species and of couse other adournments.

The builders were of Saturnian birthlines under the sun of Saturn. Our gravity and wavelengths and frequencies have changed from then to now. Our species not only shrunk but changed in every way.

Of course the military would be involved from all over the world,.you would think, who knows who is out there it certainly wont be on MSM.

Sith73
9th January 2015, 01:03
Whats left of Atlantis and its colony's is mostly on the sea floor, but spreads far and wide from New York all the way to the Caribbean to Ireland from Cuba to France and throughout the Mediterranean. Atlantis wasn't just in the middle of the Atlantic. There are many ruins, pyramids and left over machines from this era that is still active to this day buried in sand and mud and underground. The reason I know this is I lived during this time period and have had a few memories of this lifetime surface at different times throughout my life. There are many souls alive today from this time period here on Tera. Many have forgotten their past thanks to the Archons and their technology in the reincarnation process. Our memories have been erased on a temporary basis to keep us from remembering who we really are and where we come from. The energies are changing and eventually you will remember who you are and your past life's on this world and the many worlds you have visited and lived on in your past. We are immortal and never forget who and what you really are.

Atlantis was great civilization on this planet who most of us lived in those times. Atlantis is apart of the true history of this world and it must never be forgotten. Its very sad we don't teach our kids the truth but perhaps one day that will change.

cursichella1
9th January 2015, 04:49
A team of divers recovered nearly 40 ingots off the sea floor near Siciliy, from a ship that was

Gleaming cast metal called orichalcum, which was said by Ancient Greeks to be found in
Atlantis, has been recovered from a ship that sunk 2,600 years ago off the coast of Sicily.

I'm confused about how it could've sunk 2600 years ago when it sank in the 6th century? 6th Century B.C.?

DeDukshyn
9th January 2015, 04:56

I'm confused about how it could've sunk 2600 years ago when it sank in the 6th century? 6th Century B.C.?

maybe it took 585 years to come to the occlusion the ship was actually "lost"? It's not a huge discrepancy, but not an infinitesimal one either ...

ghostrider
9th January 2015, 05:08
the plejaren say there was a greater Atlantis and a lesser Atlantis , one was located off the coast of Florida ...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Billy_Meier/Atlantis

cursichella1
9th January 2015, 07:47

maybe it took 585 years to come to the occlusion the ship was actually "lost"? It's not a huge discrepancy, but not an infinitesimal one either ...

Well, it kind of is a huge discrepancy. An 1100 year difference?! I'll look into it and will report back! :)

Update: OK, it's looking like a typo. None of the other articles I've found on it mention 6th Century (B.C. or A.D.). Regardless, an exciting discovery!

DeDukshyn
9th January 2015, 18:47

Well, it kind of is a huge discrepancy. An 1100 year difference?! I'll look into it and will report back! :)

Update: OK, it's looking like a typo. None of the other articles I've found on it mention 6th Century (B.C. or A.D.). Regardless, an exciting discovery!

Wait a second ... 6th century BC IS 2600 years ago ... 2615 years ago to be exact. 2015 years to birth of Christ - then 6 centuries before that = 600 more years back = 2615 years ago. Stop confusing me, lol :P :P

cursichella1
9th January 2015, 22:00

Wait a second ... 6th century BC IS 2600 years ago ... 2615 years ago to be exact. 2015 years to birth of Christ - then 6 centuries before that = 600 more years back = 2615 years ago. Stop confusing me, lol :P :P

Ha ha, right! See?! (The 1100 year difference was between 600 a.d. and 500 B.C., though they didn't say B.C., just sixth century...) :)))

ghostrider
10th January 2015, 03:54
some things I've read suggest Atlantis was a city built around 131,000 years ago , they say there were many Atlantis' http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Billy_Meier/Event_Timeline