PDA

View Full Version : Music industry's big secret

Maia Gabrial
10th January 2015, 14:54
Just came across this about live concerts that shouldn't be a shock. Ever wonder how these singers can always sound so perfect onstage? Never being out of breath while they're dancing around the stage for an hour or two?

Remember Milli Vanilli?
Autotune.

FweC46QHCm8

ghostrider
10th January 2015, 15:55
back in the day when I did music for a living , I would do the entire song , then they go back through it , and we re-record parts they wanted adjusted and insert that part back into the track ... they have do the chorus many times , pick the best one , and use it over and over for the entire song ...it's about business and little about music ...

yelik
10th January 2015, 16:07
There seems to be no part of our world that has not been corrupted by the evil Cabal, all in the interest of greed, power and control

WhiteLove
10th January 2015, 16:10
There are a whole range of secrets within the music industry, Melodyne/Autotune is just one secret among the secrets having to do just with tuning, the equal temperament 440Hz tuning is another cover up, underneath that you have more fine tuned tunings that the top cats are tuning to. Another secret, related to the tuning, which has morphed into the digital music age, is the clocking quality and the energy quality you are feeding the clock, the combination can cause differentiating qualities at a ratio of many hundreds of thousands to one. Beyond that there are secrets related to the gain/voltage and gain structure, secrets to various aspects of timing, secrets related to DAW software (e.g., some DAW software cause more phase shift than others) and DAW hardware (e.g. that you need a certain processing environment to eliminate phase shifts), secrets related to the room calibration and monitoring/amplification, secrets related to sound sources, secrets to sample rate/bit depth/dithering, signal routing secrets, gear secrets, technique secrets and so on. The music industry is full of secrets! Great sound is not cheap, it takes many ears/years to discover all of these secrets and to be able to choose/afford the right gear.

In practice, during the production process they bounce several different versions of the final, the one above is called "tv mix", you can have several different "tv mixes", each suiting a certain live context. The agenda here is not really evil, it's just there to support the artist being able to make an even better performance live than on the recording, without that you would have fans becoming disappointed by the live performances, the expectations are so high from the performances on the recordings, that it's then better to fake some of it live in order to achieve that and go beyond. The cats that are involved in the sessions are beasts on their instruments/vocals, many times those same beasts cannot join on the live tour, hence they might want to bring some of those elements with them anyway by having them available in Pro Tools. Most bigger artists use Pro Tools during live performances - to their advantage - it works. You have certain elements in the music industry that have become standard, because they do the job so well.

The whole music industry is heavily controlled. Frequencies can work as the emotional carrier/medium for bringing truth from source to destination, therefore frequency control/dominance is exercised also in this domain by the elite. One of the ways in which this control is exercised is through cash flow/price manipulation and music availability limitations, making low quality sound such as what you get from Spotify and other MP3 type of online services becoming mainstream and to limit the access of content to certain countries, keeping some content totally out of reach in all of them (with torrent services being the exception). They also work to limit the cashflow into the music industry and ensure the right cash flows from it. It's a heavily suppressed industry and within this industry passionate music lovers try to live out their passions. Music people, although they are heavily shaped/formed by this context, are some of the most authentic people I know. Most of them just want to bring good music out there, they want to be free and have fun. But they are battling with survival and have to do the tricks of the top cats in order to stand a chance. It's sad but it is the way it is. It's great that we spread awareness, to help impact towards positive change.

There are exceptions though. Here is one.

KWmETxWM0h0

Aspen
10th January 2015, 16:21
My husband loves American Idol. On the video they said lip sincing had been used in X Factor. I wonder if its in American Idol too. I thought it was interesting what they said about the sound being more sterile. We are losing the soul in music. The imperfections are part of the artistry. Maybe that is why I loved listening to my CD of Leonard Cohen live in London so much - it really was live ???

ghostrider
10th January 2015, 17:28
they can do entire albums on computers using one instrument and make it sound like an entire band ...the one thing they can't do , is write the song , they always need us songwriters to come up with the idea ... I have over 300 songs with copyrights in the Library of Congress , I don't care if they get cut anymore ... I got out of the business in 2007 , it is cut throat and very tightly controlled , only mid level Indy companies will even listen to new artist ... The big five are run by lawyers who know nothing about music , the bottom line is all they see ... the lip sync and auto tune stuff is for people with the look and no talent , they don't want mistakes with so much money invested in the whole game ... They can use their puppets with little or no experience and the machine does the rest ... the artist don't even really have a say on the songs they cut , the label tells them what they will have on an album ...

meat suit
10th January 2015, 18:22
working in music production myself, I sometimes use autotune when the artist isnt skilled enough or the time isnt there to wait for the perfect take.
auto tune is a tool that then comes in handy.
unfortunately most things now are auto tuned by default because people have got used to hearing perfect tuning and it sticks out when it is natural.... a bit like every front page face is photoshoped for cosmetic reasons...

anyway, nothing sinister here in my opinion... just over enthusiastic tool use...

Koyaanisqatsi
10th January 2015, 19:06
GMO music. Homogenized. synthesized. like the food, like the clouds now, now we have artificial impressions of what once was real. hmmm i just kinda pieced that together in a sense "People used to make records, as in the record of an event, the event of people playing music in a room" -Ani Difranco

maybe its the transhumanist agenda to make fake versions of real things i really have no clue but its a discernable phenomenae spell check lol

Maia Gabrial
10th January 2015, 20:01
I agree, Meatsuit. Nothing too sinister about this, but it sure looks like a bunch of untalented people are successful with Autotune doing the job. Why is it that the people with real talent don't seem to make it very far in the entertainment business? There's raw talent around the world. Unfortunately, when the industry gets a hold of them, they become a bunch of phonies who sold their souls for fame.

Somehow, lip syncing is just another deception. I sensed that concerts were doing it because it would have been impossible to give a good show with all the jumping around the singers did. Now we know that there's more to the deception than just the lip syncing.

I think subconsciously I stopped listening to most music because I sensed something was wrong. Nowadays, I know why. I wonder what the industry could do with me....? :becky:

DeDukshyn
10th January 2015, 22:13
Well we all know that Mariah Carey has the best vocals in the business ... I mean just check out her range!! <-- sarcasm, let's hear her unedited, isolated vocals with no autotune and see how good she really is, shall we ... ;)

NASAZwmP2so

DeDukshyn
10th January 2015, 22:22
working in music production myself, I sometimes use autotune when the artist isnt skilled enough or the time isnt there to wait for the perfect take.
auto tune is a tool that then comes in handy.
unfortunately most things now are auto tuned by default because people have got used to hearing perfect tuning and it sticks out when it is natural.... a bit like every front page face is photoshoped for cosmetic reasons...

anyway, nothing sinister here in my opinion... just over enthusiastic tool use...

Nowadays pop artists are manufactured, not natural. Britney, Selena Gomez, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake -- All groomed by Disney to be manufactured pop stars. It doesn't matter how well or not they can sing, its how well or not they can be a money making sex icon to make profit for their handlers. Real artists don't have big labels these days in my opinion ...

Kryztian
10th January 2015, 23:09
It is absurd to expect someone like Britany Spears NOT to use the technical devices available to tune and dub her voice. As a singer, I can tell you it uses a tremendous amount of your brain power to produce a musical sound from your vocal apparatus. Add to that that you have to make facial expressions that are pleasing to your audience (which don't always coordinate with the way you have to move your mouth) and some basic motions or gestures, and your mind is tapped out. Forget having to dance, especially as athletically as Brittany

Not a fan of Brittany, but look at her, she is jumping around stage like she is doing calisthenics. You need to breathe to support your physically active body that needs lots of oxygen - do you really think your breathing can support a sustained sound in your vocal chords??? Do you really think you are able to get a calm sustained sound out as you hurl yourself back and forth on stage??? Brittany is compared to Allison Moorer, who doesn't use auto-tune, and if you look at the clip of her, Moorer is just calmly standing there in front of a microphone as she sings.

And do we really need a authentic beautiful voice in Brittany's music? Listen to her music - I don't hear real instruments, just electronic techno sounds with lots of percussion. Expecting an authentic voice amid the jumble of cacophonous artificial sounds is like going to McDonalds and expecting grass fed organic Kobe beef in your McBurger.

Add to that the fact that you are doing the same show night after night for months while traveling around the nation or the world and having to deal with all the other creepy people in the media and music industry. And at your shows, your fans have heard your albums which you made in a studio, calming sitting in front of a microphone and they expect it to sound exactly the same at your concert? With some artists like Madonna and Mariah Carey, they expect you to look and sound just like you did 20 years ago, as if age and 20 years of wear and tear on road shows don't take their toll on you. Plastic surgery, diet and personal trainers can take care of the looks part, but there's not much you can do to prevent the effects of age and overuse on your vocal chords.

People go to see, not hear, Brittany and Madonna and Millie Vanillie. But yeah, if I do go to listen to real singer, be it jazz, folk or classical, I do want to hear the real human voice.

Roisin
10th January 2015, 23:25
I love to sing even though I'm nearly deaf. But amazingly enough, if I sing directly into an amplifier box with an earphone on and focus on keeping "on key", I do... well, ok, at least for me... knock on wood. I love music even though I'm missing a lot but can't wait to get a cochlear implant to truly experience it for the first time in my life. If any of you only knew what I have to look forward to, you would know how excited I am about this. :)

Roisin
10th January 2015, 23:54
Only meant to have the personal information I had in this box temporarily -- have since deleted it.

DeDukshyn
11th January 2015, 00:19
My friends daughter was born completely deaf in both ears -- it was a genetic condition. She was the youngest person ever to receive a cochlear implant (at least in Canada). It made all the difference in the world immediately. However, it was almost impossible to keep the outer piece on, and the actual implant came out twice, likely due most to just growing. However, she can now talk exceptionally well, one would never know she was ever deaf. She is now doing excellently after having it for over the last 12 years. She seems to be able to pick up almost all the same softness of sounds and pitches as I can; pretty amazing technology!

Roisin
11th January 2015, 00:52
Thanks so much for sharing that Deduk! The youngest ever in Canada! My goodness! I'm so happy that it worked for her! :)

Cardillac
11th January 2015, 02:50
'and the beat goes on'- this is nothing new; read David McGowans's absolutely chilling book "Weird Scenes Behind the Canyon" about the hippie generation and the "fake" bands (just start with the "Byrds") and the long-going psyops behind pop music culture that began with the hippie culture and continue to this day-

Larry

Roisin
11th January 2015, 03:19
Thanks for the tip! That book sounds like a good read!

Aragorn
11th January 2015, 11:39
I would just like to throw in a few cents of my own here, so my post here is not specifically in response to any particular poster in this thread. :-)

I myself am primarily a (lead) guitarist, but on occasion I also used to sing backing vocals and even the lead vocal on two of the songs I had written for my first band. Now, with regard to autotune -- which we didn't have yet back in those days -- I would like to say that not everyone who sings out of tune would be lacking any talent. (Not that I consider myself a talented singer, because my vocal range is very limited and impacted by my smoking.)

I remember -- and still have a tape recording of -- the first gig I did with my first band, in which I had to do the lead vocal on two of the songs. We had a monitor speaker virtually right next to my ear, but as the other guitarist was for most part the lead singer at that point, we did not adjust the settings on the PA. There were no roadies or sound technicians; we did everything ourselves.

Now, at some point in one of the songs I had to sing, the other guitarist would do the backing vocal, and his voice was a lot louder than mine, so all I heard coming through that monitor speaker was his voice. I was singing the lead vocal, and I could feel my vocal cords vibrating, but I couldn't hear my own voice. And as the tape reveals, I was singing incredibly out of tune. Quite an embarrassment, especially since I only found out about that after hearing the recording again. :p

Nowadays, most professionals -- and by "professionals", I mean "the people who really do know what they're doing and who really are talented" -- will wear an in-ear monitor, hooked up to the mixing panel. There is also ample sound checking and sound balancing by the tech guys before the gig actually takes off. So the in-ear monitor gives you a very balanced image of what the whole band will sound like from the audience's position, plus that it will also protect your ears against the high sound pressure from the amplifiers and speakers on stage.

That said, autotune is indeed very popular now, and especially so because the music industry is an industry. It is there to make money, and perhaps also to influence society through the promotion of certain cultural aspects and lifestyles -- think of hip hop and the whole gangsta rappa phenomenon, for instance. As such, neither the quality of the music, nor the talent of the artists matter anymore, and autotune is used to clean up the poor performance of the untalented people who simply want to be a star so as to flatter their egos and make money.

In addition to that, in the past, bands used to have a manager, while nowadays, the manager owns the band, and even the band name (as a trademark). Record companies consider the artists as disposable commodities. You get a lot of bands who record an album, of which perhaps only one or two songs are actually decent, and then you never hear of them again.

The above all said, I am still wondering why nobody ever thought of applying autotune to anything recorded by Rihanna , because I've never ever heard her sing a complete song in which she doesn't sing flat. Or maybe they're applying reverse autotuning to make her sound out of key? :p

Unfortunately, the same is true for Macy Gray, who, unlike Rihanna, certainly does have the talent to write songs, and who also puts a lot of passion into her stage work.

Wind
11th January 2015, 12:16
For some reason I have always liked especially the music from 70's, it was just so "pure" and melodic. It had rhythm. The lyrics and everything were so honest and genuine back then, people were making music for the sake of music and not for the money. These days that just can't be said and the music is too clinical and unoriginal. Of course there are always exceptions and I highly value artists with true integrity and originality. When human expression turns into an "industry" and the goal is to make money and made up plastic godlike celebrities emerge which the masses worship, it will be ruined.

skuzzy
11th January 2015, 16:23
My husband loves American Idol. On the video they said lip sincing had been used in X Factor. I wonder if its in American Idol too. I thought it was interesting what they said about the sound being more sterile. We are losing the soul in music. The imperfections are part of the artistry. Maybe that is why I loved listening to my CD of Leonard Cohen live in London so much - it really was live ???

guys i feel i need to qualify this statement with a note. Yes overall good music is on the decline but the problem is the radio/tv, turn that **** off, lol. aint nothing good on there.

like zach de la rocha once said "turn on the radio, naw f**k it, turn it of....." :)

i will give y'all a little hint towards some good music. the band is Opeth and they are a metal band, i love em, but i also play guitar and drums and can appreciate good musicians. the hint is this: listen to the "damnation" album, its a soft album and its incredible.

windowpane: qEaf9LqIUZQ

a fair judgement (not intense vocals but distortion and great solos: elWg0EZyxjQ

here is 'true' opeth, the drapery falls. jump to 5:45 and prepare for one of the most intense riffs available :D
qTVE8r7ZdZ4

3(C)+me
3rd February 2015, 22:33
This is an old video, but it is spot on when discussing entertainers and mind control.
S_T246RQAk8

Maia Gabrial
4th February 2015, 01:00
So, have some of you heard Katy Perry sing at the superbowl yet? Totally lip syncing there!

DeDukshyn
4th February 2015, 03:56
So, have some of you heard Katy Perry sing at the superbowl yet? Totally lip syncing there!

First thing I noticed ... I didn't watch it all, the "SO" called me in to see Katy ... "Lip Sync" I said, and walked away unimpressed.

That said. Overall Loosh that night had little effect. ;) It was mostly neutralized.

3(C)+me
4th February 2015, 18:02
Just curious, (just can't watch that stuff anymore SB rates very high on that scale along with CNN) any symbols or ornate costumes. I wonder what they were pushing this time, the black sun, an big baby, the NWO. Any guesses?

Ikarusion
4th February 2015, 20:10
this might also interest some of you. i enjoyed it. goes from general info, to rappers and pop singers. also michael jackson.
mostly about selling ones soul, the occult and being the music labels puppets.

jUByL6LRj2I

3(C)+me
6th February 2015, 23:13
Well, I got my answermu86F5qNJfE