PDA

View Full Version : recent earthquakes

subque
7th April 2010, 05:28
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and I'm not sure in which forum area to post this. But I've noticed something I find interesting about the rather large earthquakes of the past 2 days...first in California (of which I personally experienced) and then in Indonesia. What I find interesting is that there was relatively no damage or injuries. The one in California was a bizarre experience. I live in the LA area so I was a good deal away from it, but we were rolling for a couple of minutes. It seemed almost gentle. I know further south it was more typical...but how is it that a 7.2 barely causes any problem, then the 7.7 in Indonesia from what I read there were no deaths.
When the Haiti quake happened, it struck me odd that an earthquake could devastate 1/2 of a tiny island and have relatively minor impact on the other half. It almost seemed like it was artificially induced and perhaps either a test run to see how accurately an induced earthquake could be pinpointed--my other thought was maybe it was hoped that the 1st earthquake would start a chain reaction which could lead to the calif big one....how cleverly that could open the doors to martial law. Well, haha, so now I watch this chain reaction and laugh that the expected devastation from quakes of these magnitudes is simply not happening. How brilliant is that! Does any one have any thoughts on this?

steve_a
7th April 2010, 08:59
Hi subque,

In spite of the magnitude of the quake there are other factors to be taken into consideration. For example, if the quake was a deep one (in the case of California I beleive it was around 40 miles underground) then the surface would be less affected, unlike in Haiti which was a relatively shallow one. Also we need to take into account the way that strucures are built. As we can see from the Haiti quake, the most damage was done around the poorer areas, where buildings with no no or very little safety standards were built, along with shanty town dwellings (read the story "Three Little Pigs"). Contrast that with the earthquake in Chile recently which was greater than Haiti, but less damage and consequently death occurred.

I'm sure there are even more factors to be taken into consideration, but I'm sure you get the gist of the fact that it's not only the magnitude of the quake which deems the outcome.

Best regards,

Steve

stardustaquarion
7th April 2010, 09:28
Hi, if you check the Edimburgh Observatory http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bin/quakes/mapscript/demo_run.pl you will notice that the Earthquake in Mexicali was 10 Km deep only. While there was no damage in California, the damage in Mexicali and places around is significant but we don't get many pictures from there cos is a rural areal http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8603073.stm , also places that have lower buildings tend to be safer

The one in Chile was at 35 km and there was significant damage too but not as many casualties as in Haiti because the people are well trained. It helps to have antisysmic buildings but it depends on the kind of movement of the waves, if it is horizontal it is less damaging, if it is vertical very little is left standing. I watched a demostration once in a University in Lima

Cheers

subque
7th April 2010, 17:09
Thank you so much for your informative responses. I do see there are multiple factors that I am uneducated about and they are to be taken into consideration. It's correct I have not seen photos of damage caused, so perhaps I thought it was less than it is. Sometimes I am guilty of disregarding the science and respond more to the result, especially when I see a pattern. Your responses have alerted me to have a more inclusive viewpoint. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

pyrangello
8th April 2010, 12:17
Current 7 day U.S. total for earthquakes is at 2577, normal is 500-750. This has been climbing steady since sunday 12-18 hour. Never have seen it this high as there is always a spike after a full moon , this puppy has it's foot on the gas pedal right now. Stay Tuned!

5thElement
8th April 2010, 17:33
"Current 7 day U.S. total for earthquakes is at 2577, normal is 500-750. This has been climbing steady since sunday 12-18 hour. Never have seen it this high as there is always a spike after a full moon , this puppy has it's foot on the gas pedal right now. Stay Tuned!" pyrangello
Hi pyrangello,

Can you please provide the link for these totals? Thanks so much!
5th

pyrangello
8th April 2010, 20:36
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

2795 total right now ! Still climbing

subque
8th April 2010, 21:53
I use this one for us west coast: http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

Rocky_Shorz
9th April 2010, 05:59
Well San Diego Mexicali is unbelievable, 75 small tremors a week is normal for this area...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/32.34.-117.-115.gif

we are at 2189 for the week, over 1100 in the last 2 days...

the main concentration is where Baja is separated from Mexico, and it lies on the main fault line running north to the San Andreas....

Now what really is the most bizarre is all the news stations that send 50 news crews out to cover one cat getting rescued from a tree....

have not said a word...

That alone tells me they are being silenced to prevent panic... this isn't normal...

pyrangello
9th April 2010, 12:10
I agree with Rocky, this isn't right, it seems to systematic and self induced. Almost like thumping 1 finger on a spot in your body continuously day after day until it hurts, bruises, and then bleeds. It's over 3050 now and still climbing.

Lets do a what if? What if california cracks and we have a major diasaster on our hands- If by chance this is self induced why would they want to do this and what would be the gains?? I have my own opinion but anybody want to take a stab at it. When Mount St. Helens was going to blow for about 2 weeks the media was all over this. Comments ??

lindabaker
9th April 2010, 12:24
Rocky and Pyrangello: By self induced do you mean deliberate action with HAARP or otherwise? If so, is it those crazed folks who want to speed up the prophesized changes in order to bring in the rapture? If this is the case, those folks truly believe that they will not be "saved" until the Book of Revelations is manifest, and they want to bring it on, on purpose. Could this possibly be happening? What are your thoughts? Thanks, Linda

pyrangello
9th April 2010, 12:42
LB , I hadn't thought about that angle about fulfilling revelation , I would guess HAARP/Chemtrials, pound the ground until it cracks , create a diasaster, instill martial law, suspend the constitution, no elections in november so they all get to stay in office to finish the agenda. Re-direct the focus on straightening out washington to helping our fellow citizens while the dirty deeds are done in the background. I 'm thinking a little divine intervention would be nice about right now! My guess but runs parellel with your LB . And yes I think it could be happening. Count is 3079 for the last 7 days.

pyrangello
9th April 2010, 15:17
3115 and climbing , you know I could be wrong , way wrong and outside of the box but there are the maybe's . If you just assume technology is far beyond our comprehension anything is possible . But if you bring it down to a human nature level no matter what the technology-

Crises and Panic are tools of the state to get more Power!!!
Didn't Rahm Emanual in the current administration say " Never waste a good crisis".
Then this just came out today too- Next Quake Date (Maybe)

Since there are so many readers looking at how coronal mass ejections from the Sun are bitch-slapping the Earth's magnetosphere - and seemingly in close proximity to growing earthquake - it's only appropriate that we share this latest little note called a "PRESTO ALERT" which is part of the global space weather program:

":Issued: 2010 Apr 09 1037 UTC :Product: documentation at http://www.sidc.be/products/presto

#--------------------------------------------------------------------# # FAST WARNING 'PRESTO' MESSAGE from the SIDC (RWC-Belgium)

# #--------------------------------------------------------------------# A halo CME occurred on April 8th in conjunction with a B3.7 flare whose peak time was around 03:25 UT. Observations from the STEREO spacecraft indicate that the CME might be Earth directed, with a possible arrival time at Earth on late April 10 or in the morning of April 11. Geomagnetic storm from minor to major levels is possible.

So if you feel the Earth moves this weekend, don't be surprised. Like if you're out on the 15th tee late Saturday and it sudden moves 10 feet to the left, you've either seen a big-ass quake, or bought several too many from the beer cart.

I just feel like throwing confetti in the air sometimes just to watch the pretty colors blow in the wind. I'm a welder by trade and have no scientific knowledge of any of this stuff just common sense that something is definatley happening . Comments from the gallery please ???

steve_a
9th April 2010, 15:23
Hi pyrangello,

I'm concerned that I won't smash my face in as the braces of my teeth get magnatized to a rock! I think I'll stay in bed.

Best regards,

Steve

# #--------------------------------------------------------------------# A halo CME occurred on April 8th in conjunction with a B3.7 flare whose peak time was around 03:25 UT. Observations from the STEREO spacecraft indicate that the CME might be Earth directed, with a possible arrival time at Earth on late April 10 or in the morning of April 11. Geomagnetic storm from minor to major levels is possible.

lindabaker
10th April 2010, 02:58
The golf course is probably one of the best places to be during a quake, no kidding. Let me go down with a driver in one hand and a beer in another. Gee, I sound like a man. Here's to knowing in advance...let's not kill the messenger, hey? Now, to see if we can get the science geeks to plot where the quake will be, based on the CME's projection, rotation of the earth, etc. One day maybe we can combine the intuitives' info and the scientific info and get people out of buildings in time. My unscientific observation is that the quakes come within 24 hours of the arrival of the geomagnetic storms...have a good weekend, y'all.

john.d
11th April 2010, 12:55
There seems to be a lot of quakes at the moment . On usgs yesterday there were 10 large ones and so far today there are 12 ....... Anyone now what the normal average amount is ?

pyrangello
11th April 2010, 13:54
Good sunday morning to the avalon family, todays conditions this a.m. currently 3697 quakes in the states in the last 7 days , current skies this morning in northern michigan, chemtrails to the south , blue skies to the north, only one plane spraying so far on a visual, the rest must be having their coffee. Little frost on the ground but the suns coming out and it looks to be a nice covered chemtrail day by 1 a.m. .

Golf courses are open here LB , Now if we can get Steve to a golf course during the next quake there will be no worries, lol.
I didn't know you had braces! 7.1 mag quake near austrailia this morning, just a nice little bump this morning to get your java pumping along.

John D , can't answer average quakes on your side of the pond but I did read recently that the amount of larger quakes are going down in volume but going up in magnatude. Stay with me here, if you look at the number of little rumblings around the earth the bigger quakes are on an average less because there are more overall. Bottom line bud, the earth is quaking a bit more these days period. I just call it the 2012 march and beyond. Will probably have on the downside more quakes in 2013 but that should be on the down stroke and then all should be good after that. Yes there will be life after 2012 but as they say in the air, get ready for a bumpy ride.

This is your sunday a.m. pyrangello reporting, have a good day, Hugs your kids, pray for peace, and spread some kindness today and most importantly smile at someone today and don't say a word until they smile back , trust me it works and they will smile back.