PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Suffering: "Do fish feel pain?"

heyokah
17th November 2010, 22:59
Many a seafood fan has parroted the popular idea that fish and crustaceans do not feel pain.

New research, however, suggests that they may, revealing that their nervous system may be more complex than we thought—and our own awareness of pain may be much more evolutionarily ancient than suspected.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=underwater-suffering-do-fish-feel-pain

observer
17th November 2010, 23:31
A Clarion Call

I can hear the silent screams of fish,
Haunting me in my dreams.
If only fish could scream,
You say.

In my memories of who we once where,
I now turn away as men face-off,
Across a field some call honor….
In the name of a self-appointed king….
As they rush against a hail-storm of molten death.

In my memories of who we once where,
I can still feel the pierce of a bayonet in my belly,
As I once laid dying in the shadow of impaled bodies.
While those around me feasted,
Inebriated on the carcass of a slain beast.

As the mothers of the fallen leave a trail of tears,
Tracing-back to the dawn of man.
Yet, the history of man’s inhumanity to man,
Is a well-worn highway upon that very trail of sorrow.

I wander here alone ….

Upon this barren landscape….

Awash with the blood of all my grandfather’s relations….
Among men with the blank stare of murder in the windows of their souls,
Who would rather slit the throat of the wounded deer,
Then spend the price of another round…

Mad with the lust for blood….

As they sit and eat its heart.

In my memory of who I am,
I wonder how many,
Would partake of the holiday feast,
If the slaughter of the beast,
Were mandatory requirements of the ceremony….

In my memories of who we are,
I remember this is not my happy place….

I remember my Creator’s heart is heavy with what we have become….

I remember the place where I’d rather be….

I remember all this because now…

In my dreams….

I can hear the screams of fish….

© copyright observer 2009.

Bea
18th November 2010, 01:17
If any creature has nerves & a nervous system, which make movement, environmental sensing, finding food, mating etc possible, why would it not also feel pain?

shadowstalker
18th November 2010, 01:23
If any creature has nerves & a nervous system, which make movement, environmental sensing, finding food, mating etc possible, why would it not also feel pain?

No debate on that one, I heard the trees feel as well, they say that if you cut a tree down, it screams and it sound very frightening.
I myself have never heard one scream, and never hope to.
All things have feelings and can feel, even the fruits and veggies we eat.

Ethereal Blue Being
18th November 2010, 03:15
Yes I do believe fish feel pain and I think the worms and insects used to catch them do as well. Shadowstalker (post # 4) I believe trees feel also. I lived at Lake Tahoe for over 12 years and the property we lived on (and the rest of the forest) was/still is infected with the Pine Beetle many trees had to be removed by a professional Arborist. these trees were 1 to 4 feet in DIAMETER ! Our daughter was 6 at the time. She and I sit set at the window of the cabin crying for hours (this went on for days) the heavy equipment that was necessary to cut the largest was very damaging to the sapplings around them.The trees were marked with an "X" by the Arborist and had a legal form stapled to EACH one for the cutting crew to have permission to cut. (It is against the law to cut a tree down in the Lake Tahoe Basin ( Nevada and California ) without the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency permission and prodcedures. To see all of the birds and squirrels scrambling from the trees right before your very eyes fleeing for their life as the chainsaws reved up. horriffic beyond words. We could swear the trees were screaming just as you said. We were renters and the property owners insurance company said if she didn't remove the most heavily diseased trees that they wouldn't cover life, limb and property of the renters in the three cabins.Several trees had snapped in a recent 40 mph wind storm, mild by Tahoe standardsThis was done in the autumn and we put out alot of seeds, food and peanut butter spread on pinecones that year . We figured that many animals lost their winter stash of food as all of the "infected " wood was hauled away.The forrest didn't "feel" right for several years. To this day (15 years later) the sound of a chainsaw makes my daughter and I cringe, may husband was gone during the day so he has no trauma from the event. When the owner did the final walk through of the property with the Arborist before she would give him the final payment a large pinecone (over a foot long) missed her shoulder by 2 inches. None of us heard it break loose from the tree as they were talking so loud. Anyway yes trees feel and so do all of the animals and insects etc. Seeing the AVATAR movie brought it all back ..still loved it though

fifi
18th November 2010, 04:37
I do believe that fish and crustaceans feel pain, and I love dolphins and whales. I believe that dolphins and whales help mother Earth and human beings a lot with their existence, and that we should respect and love them. I hope many people watch the documentary film "the Cove" to see how brutal we treat the dolphins, and help stop such savage act.

Beth
18th November 2010, 04:48
I do believe that fish and crustaceans feel pain, and I love dolphins and whales. I believe that dolphins and whales help mother Earth and human beings a lot with their existence, and that we should respect and love them. I hope many people watch the documentary film "the Cove" to see how brutal we treat the dolphins, and help stop such savage act.

Not to nit-pick here but Dolphins and Whales are mammals. But yes, I love Dolphins.

sjkted
18th November 2010, 05:18
Regardless of whether or not they feel pain or are "advanced/developed", who are we to play God and take the life of another animal?

--sjkted

Bea
18th November 2010, 07:05
I agree re plants feeling pain Shadowstalker and Ethereal Blue Being.

I once read an article by a psychic who said when she walked into a friend's place she could hear a high pitched screaming sound & worked out that it was the friend's pot plants & that they needed water. I've always felt bad if my pot plants get dry ever since!

In the early books on what became the Findhorn Community, the communications that Dorothy & Eileen had with the nature divas about their garden at Findhorn & plants in general is very interesting reading.

BrianEn
18th November 2010, 08:14
I often have wondered if fish felt pain in regards to catch and release style of fishing. Seems kind of mean.

John Parslow
18th November 2010, 09:14
Hello Observer

I am deeply touched by the sentiment of your beautiful poem; you managed to convey such deep feelings of compassion within me with your exquisite lines.

“My Creator’s heart is heavy with what we have become …” Is just so meaningful.

Thank you so much for your words – I would be delighted if you would consider writing something for the poetry thread.

Love and peace to you my friend. JP

Ross
18th November 2010, 09:33
I have caught many a fish...sorry, but I like to eat fish...I can tell you that indeed they feel pain. Just have to be as fishmane as possible...in other words, do the deed quick smart and always give thanks and acknowledgement for taking their life, for the purpose of eating. Intent is everything...

Ross

Bea
18th November 2010, 10:30
I think fish are much smarter than what we've been led to believe.
The intelligence & awareness of whales, dolphins & octopi are now accepted, but I suspect all fish are much smarter than we currently understand.
The myths perpetrated by man's religious & scientific dogma about animal's lack of intelligence, memory, awareness, emotions & so on has been shown to be very wrong many times & increasingly so now.

HURRITT ENYETO
18th November 2010, 16:49
I can assure you that not only do they feel pain but they also feel different moods which to me imply s they can feel emotion and i am speaking as a marine and coral and inverts keeper and that's only the cold blooded type don't get me started on mammals like dolphin and Whales etc LOL :)

P.s did you know the female Octopus starves herself to DEATH looking after her eggs!! You cant tell me that level of self sacrifice isnt intelligent.

kinsuemei2
18th November 2010, 17:44
All fish feel pain, I raise Oscars and Convict Chilcilds and they feel pain indeed, they get sick they get indegestion, they are amazing, and they can show affection, fear, and are very inteligent, even the goldfish does not have the 6 second memory that "modern science" talks about, fishe have hearts, they have a mind, and they are parents, some pair off for life, the feel loss, why can't people get it WE ARE NOT ABOVE ANIMALS we just think we are because we build, well so can a termite, and an ant. We create art, so can a spider, instead her art is far more practical.

We have yet to relearn the lessons the indians have, the Africans have, and the tribes of the world that live in respect and awe of their surroundings.

DawgBone
18th November 2010, 17:51
Feeling pain has great survival value. Of course fish feel pain.

Vegetarian diets can be really delicious!