PDA

View Full Version : The new axis of evil — Canada - One third of American 8th graders think Canadians live in a dictatorship

chancy
20th May 2015, 03:01
Hello Everyone:
This is an Excellent article because "out of the mouth of Babes" we have Truth! For not knowing much about Canada these teenagers were spot on! A little back sliding in the article trying to tell us it's not this way when we all know the truth...... but most won't or can't admit it......
chancy

Link:
http://www.theprovince.com/news/axis+evil+Canada+third+American+graders+think+live/11063581/story.html

Article:
The new axis of evil — Canada - One third of American 8th graders think Canadians live in a dictatorship
By Richard Warnica May 19, 2015

The new axis of evil - Canada - One third of American 8th graders think Canadians live in a dictatorship

Prime Minister Stephen Harper addresses a crowd as he highlighted a manufacturers ten-year-tax incentive at a press conference in Windsor, Ont., on Thursday, May 14, 2015.

It’s a looping belt of tyranny that swoops from the South Pacific to Europe and all the way across the Americas. It controls three of the world’s 12 largest economies and the entire global supply of some key resources. It is, in the eyes of the world’s most important, and perhaps only relevant, demographic, a new axis of autocracy and it isn’t centred in Pyongyang, Tehran or Harare but in Canberra, Paris and, yes, Ottawa.

That demographic, of course, is the American teen. And if new U.S. test results are any sign, that all important group doesn’t think highly of us, if it thinks of us at all.

In recent results from the U.S. National Assessment of Educational Progress — billed as the Nation’s Report Card — fully 33 per cent of American 8th graders said Canada, Australia and France are dictatorships of one kind or another.

Asked on a national standardized test what the current governments of the three countries have in common, 23 per cent of the 29,000 teens tested chose “they have leaders with absolute power” from the four options available. Another 10 per cent chose “they are controlled by the military” while 12 per cent picked “they discourage participation by citizens in public affairs.”

Fifty four per cent chose the right answer: They have constitutions that limit their power.

It would be simple, and perhaps correct, to dismiss those results, released in late April, as irrelevant to Canadians. After all, 54 per cent isn’t that bad. Only 23 per cent of teens scored at or above proficient on the civics portion of the test in 2014, from which that question was drawn; only 18 per cent did the same for U.S. history.

It might be more a case, in other words, of broad ignorance than it is a Maple Leaf-shaped blind spot in the American middle-school psyche.

One academic, however, believes the question and its answers should be cause for some concern, and not just about the U.S. education system. Kenneth Holland, a professor at Ball State University and the president of the Association for Canadian Studies in the United States, thinks they might be indicative of a larger failure to educate Americans about a key ally and trading partner.

“I think there’s a broader problem and that is that Americans know very little about Canada,” he said.

I think there’s a broader problem and that is that Americans know very little about Canada

Holland doesn’t think the problem is likely to get better any time soon, either. The Canadian government used to fund a program called “Understanding Canada” that provided grants to academics studying Canada around the world. “One purpose of those grants was to provide professional development for K-12 teachers,” Holland said. The federal government eliminated that program in 2012, however. “So there really is very little money now to train teachers who teach those middle schoolers,” he said.

What knowledge American teens do have of Canada is mostly limited to pop culture and a vague idea of Quebec separatism and Mounties, Holland believes. So when the 8th graders chose absolute power or military dictatorship on the test, they likely did so more out of ignorance than any specific knowledge of Stephen Harper or Tony Abbott.

For Holland, though, that is problem unto itself. “Canada is a very important ally of the United States,” he said. “You can see that all over the world right now. Ukraine, Iraq, Syria: Canada is right there fighting alongside the United States.”

That so many American teens think such a close ally is a civilian or military dictatorship — akin to the dastardly French, no less — is, to him, a significant worry. What it isn’t, though, is reason to believe Americans think our actual government, the one with a Parliament in Ottawa, no matter how neutered its members may be, is the next North Korea. It just means they have no idea about our actual government at all.

Flash
20th May 2015, 04:05
As a Canadian: no comments

Oh rather yes, a comment: I am not surprised, American media and Americans in general (exception to the readers of this forum) are very ethnocentric and closed up to anything else.

I told my American friend for example that the Federal REserve was a private bank, with private owners. She argued it was not. We checked and she, for the first time, realised it is private - she asked "how come we do not know about this"? I said "because if you knew, the 14 triliions to save banks you have given in 2008 would have been seen in a very different manner, as giving to those who profitted in the ponzi scheme as a thank you note for robbing us. We found out that the Federal Reserve is owned by the banks who received the 14 trillions $. Which banks are owned in turn through majority shares to bankers from London and Switzerland, not Americans. They made profits all around, before, during and after. It truly shook her "America is the greatest" motto. She just realised they were not informed.

Then we checked the central bank of Canada: it is a public agency. Same in England. But America Federal Reserve is private - my friend just woke up. That woman has a PhD, yet she did not know.

sandy
20th May 2015, 05:00
Canadians in general are really not a whole lot more informed......at least my family and extended circle of people have no real idea about the Bank of Canada and how we too borrow money from the private Banksters versus out own public owned bank.............we are so like the USA it is shameful IMHO and the rear end kissing we do is pitiful :(

Now you know why I really did not comment initially as when one looks in their own backyard we really do not have much room to talk..:(

Gaia
20th May 2015, 11:00
Doesn't surprise me. In one segment of "Jay-walking", Jay Leno hit the streets asking random people questions about history, geography etc. One woman was asked "What country did America fight against in the Revolutionary War?" As she thought out loud, she said, "Hmm, let's see. I know it wasn't England...

I have no illusions about the ignorance of our people, but maybe the kids just didn't understand the questions... or more likely did not even read them, and just answered randomly since they are in the 8th grade and giving lots of f.... about stuff like that isn't exactly something 13 year-olds tend to do. Our current Prime Minister would probably be flattered about those results...

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/subjectareas.aspx

When the majority of the population says "No to Bill C-51, we don't agree with this law. ''Do not pass it" And the governement says "We don't care what you think, we're going to pass it anyways." You're living in a fascist country. Which is exactly what Canada has become.

lightseeker
20th May 2015, 14:02
I would have to agree with you GAIA, Canada has become a fascist country with the passing of billC-51, Canada's equivalent to the US Patriot Act. It is not secret that the US is a police state and has been for some time. It amazes me that both American and Canadian citizens are so out of touch with reality and have no idea that they are giving there freedom away. It is truly very sad.

Jordan
20th May 2015, 14:58
I admit I know very little about Canada and from what I read (billC51), it seems there are the first signs of authoritarianism.
anyway I think you're lucky. here in Italy we have a Prime Minister (the third one) not elected by the people.

back to your thread, the ignorance of young people doesn't surprise me, as I notice teenegers worldwide are not interested in history, politics etc... they love music and fashion, that's all. but there are some of them very different, who can really change the world. we must support them!

DeDukshyn
20th May 2015, 15:49
Canadians in general are really not a whole lot more informed......at least my family and extended circle of people have no real idea about the Bank of Canada and how we too borrow money from the private Banksters versus out own public owned bank.............we are so like the USA it is shameful IMHO and the rear end kissing we do is pitiful :(

Now you know why I really did not comment initially as when one looks in their own backyard we really do not have much room to talk..:(

Strangely, I find Canadians far more well informed about the USA than they are about Canada ... I think Canadians take a little pride in this knowledge that allows them to be pointing their fingers at Americans. We all poke a little fun at their "police state", ours isn't far behind; we poke a little fun at their crazy international policies and their inability to uphold their own, well borders are disappearing in this sense, etc.

I agree that Canadians don't know enough about our own issues. For example there were rallies yesterday put on by scientists in Ottawa; our useless leader has decided that science and scientific facts and stats are detrimental to his political agenda and has thus cut almost all scientific funding and grants; this is extremely dangerous and an obvious setup for coming ominous decision making and policy making, but do Canadians care? Hardly, we are too interested in the US private reserve banking, or the lack of proper education in their children, meanwhile all this distraction is allowing our country to head down the tubes if we are not careful ...

lightseeker
20th May 2015, 17:53
DeDukshyn, I think Canada has already gone down the tubes, I recently read the book written by Canadian author and journalist Mike Harris titled "Party of One". His book addresses the terrible damage that Harper has done to Canada since comming to power. The Canadian Media is also complicit in not speaking out about a lot that goes on in our country.

It makes me wonder if we will end up with a rigged election in 2016. The Harper regime will do anything to stay in power. I am angry and sad that I have lived long enough to see a beautiful country flushed down the toilet.

DeDukshyn
20th May 2015, 19:59
DeDukshyn, I think Canada has already gone down the tubes, I recently read the book written by Canadian author and journalist Mike Harris titled "Party of One". His book addresses the terrible damage that Harper has done to Canada since comming to power. The Canadian Media is also complicit in not speaking out about a lot that goes on in our country.

It makes me wonder if we will end up with a rigged election in 2016. The Harper regime will do anything to stay in power. I am angry and sad that I have lived long enough to see a beautiful country flushed down the toilet.

Well it is certainly already "in the tubes", so to speak, but those tubes go down a lot further, and at some point it will be almost impossible to get back out. Like Hitler said, use small changes so that no one notices, applied consistently in the direction of your choosing, until it is too late to reverse. Harpler is obviously been applying this strategy since his inception, the destruction of scientific funding is just yet another chess move that he hopes will play out for him - with fewer to refute his lies and propaganda the more sway it will have with the sheep.

sandy
21st May 2015, 02:39
Thank you to our First Nations people in Canada :heart:

Through hundreds of years of ongoing repression, suppression and ongoing oppression they continue to hold onto their values and traditions and show the rest of the world the way back to Mother Earth.........our salvation now and always..........

Check this song out .......sorry I'm not skilled enough other than a link, but for Canadians it is well worth it.. :cheer2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=95&v=JJjt3hZ0sxQ

sigma6
14th June 2015, 05:27
I knew we were going down the toilet the day of that false flag attack by that freemason guy with the huge baby rattle... what the hell was that!? Our propaganda version of 9/11? we couldn't find anyone so, we brainwashed an American crisis actor to come up and pretend to attack an Ottawa parliament building! o.O?... can anyone guess that this was an american written script?... not something a Canadian would even think up in their wildest dreams... not that we're goody goody two shoes... but some lone gunman attacking a government building is just not our script... (Canadians would be sneakier than that...) that is too "out there" for our Canadian psyches... We're just NOT a lone gun culture... highschool punks in the suburbs maybe... an attack on a embassy in another country we're supporting the bombing of, maybe... but baby rattle man saving Canada was just really stinky... whew...

sigma6
23rd June 2015, 04:53
Pretty funny when you realize the whole thing is a symbolic fiction, public programming, propaganda,
...short fiction...
sguaoOFWDaI

Wookie
23rd June 2015, 05:11
Working as intended.

Peaceful Journeys Wookie