PDA

View Full Version : The Silent Thief: Internet Addiction

Tesla_WTC_Solution
22nd May 2015, 20:02
Hello dear friends!

LOTS of people here on Avalon have stressed the need for relaxing, unwinding, "un-plugging" especially... letting our natural and spiritual selves have a break from what is otherwise a very dangerous and transcendent technology.

The Internet is like the Palantiri of Tolkien lore.

"They are not all accounted for, the lost seeing stones. We do not know who else may be watching."
—Gandalf to Saruman, in The Fellowship of the Ring

Too creepy right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palantir_Technologies
Palantir Technologies, Inc. is a private American computer software and services company, specializing in data analysis. Founded in 2004, Palantir's original clients were federal agencies of the United States Intelligence Community.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0a/Palantir_Technologies_company_logo.jpg/200px-Palantir_Technologies_company_logo.jpg

Paul Kocher identifies Saruman's use of a palantír, a seeing-stone, as the immediate cause of his downfall, but also suggests that through his study of "the arts of the enemy", Saruman was drawn into imitation of Sauron.

http://www.biddytarot.com/cards/tower.jpg

Some People, "will be attracted to the silent, less visually stimulating, non-tactile quality of text relationships - which may be true for some people struggling to contain the over-stimulation of past trauma. A person's ambivalence about intimacy may be expressed in text communication because it is a paradoxical blend of allowing people to be honest and feel close, while also maintaining their distance.

Video game addiction is a known issue around the world. Incidence and severity grew in the 2000s, with the advent of broadband technology, games allowing for the creation of avatars, 'second life' games, and MMORPGs (massive multiplayer online role playing games). World of Warcraft has the largest MMORPG community on-line and there have been a number of studies about the addictive qualities of the game. Addicts of the game range from children to mature adults. A well-known example is Ryan van Cleave, a university professor whose life declined as he became involved in online gaming.[101] Andrew Doan, MD, PhD, a physician with a research background in neuroscience, battled his own addictions with video games, investing over 20,000 hours of playing games over a period of nine years.[102]

Does one of your own loved ones suffer this debilitating disease?
It's not impossible to escape :)

Gaia
22nd May 2015, 21:26
My 16 years old son was addicted to video games. ( Call of Duty, League of legends etc) . Last year he abandoned all friends online and network games. Now he makes snowboarding and playing baseball in midget club. My daughter who is 18 years old is an activist against Facebook and Instagram. :sun: The daughter of the man with whom I live , which is 23 years old is addicted to Instagram.:( Instagram is a representation of the "backlash" of our digital age.

Let me explain why...

Some months ago in the city where I live ''Québec City''. A fire was declared early in the morning in the roof at McDonalds Charlesbourg restaurant. 20 minutes after the fire started there was no firefighters. A taxi driver pass there and he was worry about the fact that there was no firefighters at the restaurant and then he made a call at 911 after he dropped his passenger... :(

Afterwards, when insurances did a public inquiry, it s' turned out to be that the 60 peoples who were inside/outside the restaurant had all taken pictures and uploaded to Facebook and Instagram and nobody except the taxi driver had called the fire department. The McDonalds was a complete lost...

I do think that peoples addicted to those android services are lost...

Because they don't care anymore! True and sad story...

Agape
22nd May 2015, 22:05
It's caused me lots of OCD, ADHD, PTSD and ASD , IMHO , ROFL .

Not my best communication day today but that's in brief .

Best regards

:angel:

:bearhug:

Gaia
22nd May 2015, 22:09
I love.... Rolling On Floor Laughing! Agape...:angel:

And I do love you're location... Tesla_WTC_Solution it' made me chuckle...:p

Tesla_WTC_Solution
22nd May 2015, 22:22
*waves very nervously at the 25 guests* lol :(

@ Gaia, thank you, haha, you've heard that hilarious song, right? :)

Gaia
22nd May 2015, 22:26

LOTS of people here on Avalon have stressed the need for relaxing, unwinding, "un-plugging" especially... letting our natural and spiritual selves have a break from what is otherwise a very dangerous and transcendent technology.
It's not impossible to escape haha...:thumbsup:

Tesla_WTC_Solution
22nd May 2015, 22:28

Well, maybe closer to impossible than I thought! :blushing:

Gaia
22nd May 2015, 22:33

Well, maybe closer to impossible than I thought! :blushing:

This is true story and I'm proud of my son Simon! Eve-Marie my daughter is allergic to selfies! She is in Chicago for the weekend... First time in U.S. :heart:

Flash
23rd May 2015, 18:41
My 16 years old son was addicted to video games. ( Call of Duty, League of legends etc) . Last year he abandoned all friends online and network games. Now he makes snowboarding and playing baseball in midget club. My daughter who is 18 years old is an activist against Facebook and Instagram. :sun: The daughter of the man with whom I live , which is 23 years old is addicted to Instagram.:( Instagram is a representation of the "backlash" of our digital age.

Let me explain why...

Some months ago in the city where I live ''Québec City''. A fire was declared early in the morning in the roof at McDonalds Charlesbourg restaurant. 20 minutes after the fire started there was no firefighters. A taxi driver pass there and he was worry about the fact that there was no firefighters at the restaurant and then he made a call at 911 after he dropped his passenger... :(

Afterwards, when insurances did a public inquiry, it s' turned out to be that the 60 peoples who were inside/outside the restaurant had all taken pictures and uploaded to Facebook and Instagram and nobody except the taxi driver had called the fire department. The McDonalds was a complete lost...

Wow, did it make the news here (that i do not listen too anyhow)?

So interesting, it means that fireman have to have a Facebook page and an instagram answering line! Ain't it? lolllllllllllllllllll - joking here, or thinking like an addict!

My my, I am happy for your daughter, she would love mine who does similar stuff, against Facebook, alghouth she uses it intensely - go figure.

And your son has temperament and will, congrats to him.

Gaia
24th May 2015, 16:24

Let me explain why...

Wow, did it make the news here (that i do not listen too anyhow)?

So interesting, it means that fireman have to have a Facebook page and an instagram answering line! Ain't it? lolllllllllllllllllll - joking here, or thinking like an addict!

My my, I am happy for your daughter, she would love mine who does similar stuff, against Facebook, alghouth she uses it intensely - go figure.

And your son has temperament and will, congrats to him.

C'est une histoire de l'automne dernier très vraie mon amie! En avril j'ai suivi un cours à Fierbourg (Charlesbourg). Histoire de renouveler ma carte de secourisme RCR. L'instructeur a insisté énomément sur le fait que, nous ne devions pas nous fier aux gens et curieux près de quelqu'un en détresse, car ces derniers ne feront que prendre des pics et les foutrent sur Instagram ou Facebook au lieu d'appeler les mesures d'urgence. Drôle de période dans laquelle nous vivons...!?! Amitié ma chère!!

transiten
24th May 2015, 17:33
Every second month now that I go to visit my father I take a break from Internet, I just go to the library for 1 hour now and then. I'm almost never on facebook, I don't play games but have spent an enormous amount of time on fora like this, astrologysites and looking for info about how to treat Chronic Lyme.

I feel less and less addicted but still suffer somewhat from it -like others go to facebook i go to Avalon - and have a hughe need to be out in nature and meet pple IRL, esp now that I've got Jupiter transiting my 11:th house of "social groups and friends". I also don't have a Smart-phone and will never get one and my computor is stationary, don't like wireless, I've got friends who are oversensitive to electricity and mobile.