PDA

View Full Version : The Red Cross Raised '$488 million' for Haiti ­and Built Six Homes

Gaia
3rd June 2015, 17:02
In late 2011, the Red Cross launched a multimillion-dollar project to transform the desperately poor area, which was hit hard by the earthquake that struck Haiti the year before. The main focus of the project — called LAMIKA, an acronym in Creole for “A Better Life in My Neighborhood” — was building hundreds of permanent homes.

Today, not one home has been built in Campeche. Many residents live in shacks made of rusty sheet metal, without access to drinkable water, electricity or basic sanitation. When it rains, their homes flood and residents bail out mud and water.

The Red Cross received an outpouring of donations after the quake, nearly half a billion dollars. The group has publicly celebrated its work. But in fact, the Red Cross has repeatedly failed on the ground in Haiti. Confidential memos, emails from worried top officers, and accounts of a dozen frustrated and disappointed insiders show the charity has broken promises, squandered donations, and made dubious claims of success.

The Red Cross says it has provided homes to more than 130,000 people. But the actual number of permanent homes the group has built in all of Haiti: six.

After the earthquake, Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern unveiled ambitious plans to “develop brand-new communities.” None has ever been built.

Aid organizations from around the world have struggled after the earthquake in Haiti, the Western Hemisphere’s poorest country. But ProPublica and NPR’s investigation shows that many of the Red Cross’s failings in Haiti are of its own making. They are also part of a larger pattern in which the organization has botched delivery of aid after disasters such as Superstorm Sandy. Despite its difficulties, the Red Cross remains the charity of choice for ordinary Americans and corporations alike after natural disasters.

One issue that has hindered the Red Cross’ work in Haiti is an overreliance on foreigners who could not speak French or Creole, current and former employees say.

In a blistering 2011 memo, the then-director of the Haiti program, Judith St. Fort, wrote that the group was failing in Haiti and that senior managers had made “very disturbing” remarks disparaging Haitian employees. St. Fort, who is Haitian American, wrote that the comments included, “he is the only hard working one among them” and “the ones that we have hired are not strong so we probably should not pay close attention to Haitian CVs.”

The Red Cross won’t disclose details of how it has spent the hundreds of millions of dollars donated for Haiti. But our reporting shows that less money reached those in need than the Red Cross has said.

Lacking the expertise to mount its own projects, the Red Cross ended up giving much of the money to other groups to do the work. Those groups took out a piece of every dollar to cover overhead and management. Even on the projects done by others, the Red Cross had its own significant expenses – in one case, adding up to a third of the project’s budget.

More:

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-red-cross-raised-half-a-billion-dollars-for-haiti-and-built-6-homes

https://www.propublica.org/documents/item/2081560-red-cross-haiti-program-director-judith-st-fort.html

https://www.propublica.org/documents/item/2081190-gail-mcgovern-and-david-meltzer-emails-on.html

The more I think about it, the more I wonder ...Every change in the World is an opportunity to make money, right?

Every big change is a new frontier, disaster capitalism, etc.

Now obviously, no one seeks to rise in the ranks of a disaster relief charity thinking "aha, I will get rich off the various disasters that are sure to happen with global warming and rising global inequality... For one thing, you don't get that rich. (But rich enough and respected) And of course, the people who are getting really rich off disasters are regular old capitalists, not non profits staffs.

But despite the unconsciousness of the process, this is what's happening we're getting more disasters and more need for large scale disaster relief, and what that means is enhanced professional opportunities for the upper middle classes. And that means that at least part of the logic of all these disaster relief projects will be to provide a bunch of attractive, well remunerated jobs staff, particularly staff who do the marketing and speak at conferences. The actual on the ground staff will be decimated and see their conditions worsen just like other working class people.

My point being that in order to understand these entities, we need to understand them as part of capitalism in its standard disaster mode rather than outside it due to their nonprofit status.

Interesting link to Henry Makow:

http://henrymakow.com/2013/10/The-Red-Cross-Scam%20.html

Gaia

Cardillac
3rd June 2015, 17:25
the Red Cross is THE most corrupt "help" organizations on this planet; one of my best friends here in Germany who for awhile worked for an international diplomatic organisation (long story- doesn't belong on this thread- forget it- another story) was told a long time ago: "never donate to the Red Cross; only approx. 5% of the donated funds get to where they're supposed to and the rest is devoured by the Red Cross "machine" not to mention private bank accounts"-

Larry

Gaia
3rd June 2015, 17:42
the Red Cross is THE most corrupt "help" organizations on this planet; one of my best friends here in Germany who for awhile worked for an international diplomatic organisation (long story- doesn't belong on this thread- forget it- another story) was told a long time ago: "never donate to the Red Cross; only approx. 5% of the donated funds get to where they're supposed to and the rest is devoured by the Red Cross "machine" not to mention private bank accounts"-

Larry

I do agree! When the Red Cross is asking for donations, it sounds like they're trying to cash in on help survivors of the latest disaster.

Cardillac
3rd June 2015, 17:46
@Gaia

SWAK! :-)

Gaia
3rd June 2015, 18:00
@Gaia

SWAK! :-)

These people have totally mastered the science of extracting money from the unthinking masses. As example: The dust from the World Trade Center demolition had not even settled before the Red Cross were appealing to us all to give blood and money to help the families of the victims of the false attack. Thousands of people gave blood and even more gave millions of dollars to the Red Cross. Perhaps, it would have been pertinent to ask: Blood for whom? Everyone was dead so why was the Red Cross asking for blood donations day and night for weeks... ?

Hawkwind
3rd June 2015, 18:43
Their choice of a red cross on a white field, (the same symbol used by the Knights Templar), as their organization's logo might be sheerly coincidental... but I don't think so.

avid
3rd June 2015, 19:42
I remember that Clintons' appeal for Haiti was plundered by Hillary secretly visiting the Caicos Islands and transferring monies further afield. Haiti was trashed - for what? Most of fund-raisers globally (the TV appeals for drinking water et al) are scams. Such a shame, as people really need help. All these grovelling/begging ads for help for various problematic areas of society, ghastly ads for neglected pets, water-aid (no thanks to Nestlé), and help for abused young girls global begging non-stop in our mainstreammedia. I doubt if any of the worthy causes gets a pittance from these scamming appeals, as the fat-cat charity globalistas get there first. If there is any provenance that a 'main stream' charity for Haiti actually put up major funds, and made a major difference - please let us know. There are thousands of similar heart-rending scams globally, are any delivering? We need proof and accounts.

Gaia
3rd June 2015, 19:48
Their choice of a red cross on a white field, (the same symbol used by the Knights Templar), as their organization's logo might be sheerly coincidental... but I don't think so.

Red Cross behind all battle lines Hawkwind ? The symbol of the cross is universal!

Whereas one can find many meanings to the plus sign, or symbol of the Cross, the historic background of famous Knights Templar’s Red Cross contains multiple wonders.

The Templar’s Cross originally came from the “Mark of Cain” This symbol had been created over 5,000 years ago in ancient Summerian times and had been used by the followers of the One God of the “Lord” until they arrived, guided by Moses, in Palestine from Egypt.

The Mark of Cain is symbolized by a Red Cross surrounded by a Circle for your information...

Billy
3rd June 2015, 19:55
Being careful not to tar everyone with the same brush within the Red Cross organization, I worked along side them and other charities when i was an aid worker in Bosnia. Their workers on the ground attempted to achieve great works, but they were always in a state of frustration when their efforts were hampered by broken promises and delays from the bureaucrat's in office. As in Haiti this behaviour appears to follow the RC wherever they go. And i would say it is not because of the lack of donations.

An interesting read.
http://rense.com/general28/ddosb.htm

My name is Dr. Leonard Horowitz. What I am about to share with you is deeply disturbing, yet potentially life-saving. The American Red Cross is not what it appears to be. . . . And I urge you to continue reading so that you learn what the ARC really represents.

Background Intelligence on the American Red Cross

Founded in 1881 by American humanitarian Clara Barton, the American Red Cross (officially named The American National Red Cross) was first chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1900. A second charter, still in force, was granted in 1905. Not long after, however, John D. Rockefeller pirated the entire blood banking industry, along with the administrative leadership of the ARC. As you will soon learn, this quintessential coup de tats represented more than a glorious economic opportunity. The takeover of the ARC, and the entire blood industry, was apparently required to fulfill a far more sinister, even occult-linked, political objective-eugenics management for a racially purified planet.

In my personal experience, i found that when i teamed up with very small charities which were run by people you could speak to on the ground, who had proved to me the fruits of their efforts, we could then make a real difference to help those that suffered.

One example of a trusted charity, that also began in Bosnia by a friend of mine, his office was a shed in his garden in Scotland. Just last week they achieved helping 1 million children.
https://www.marysmeals.org.uk/

Gaia
3rd June 2015, 20:08
If you want to give to big disaster relief charities Medecins Sans Frontières / Doctors Without Borders seems to be the most transparent and dedicated one of the "biguns" as far as I can tell. Until the Red Cross makes some demonstrable effort to clean itself up, stop donating. There are plenty of other good organizations out there like Billy said.

Ioneo
4th June 2015, 00:27
Here in Japan the Red Cross collected billions for the big earthquake and tsunami that struck in 2011. The last I heard it still hadn't been released!

Gaia
4th June 2015, 00:46
A year after the devastating earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan, Canadian Red Cross has used $ 48 million collected to help the population. I doubt it...

apokalypse
4th June 2015, 01:39
when i was young always use Charity as excuse to get money of people....from that moment on i learn something and start questioning such as why people still suffering while millions of dollar in donation available to the sick and poor like in south africa...

Gaia
4th June 2015, 14:11
when i was young always use Charity as excuse to get money of people....from that moment on i learn something and start questioning such as why people still suffering while millions of dollar in donation available to the sick and poor like in south africa...

You have to be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush within the Red Cross organization. I have real confidence in Seva and, although their current mission has been the treatment of curable blindness, they've been on the ground in Nepal for decades, so I checked their website, and they were indeed focusing on earthquake relief for the foreseeable future, so they got my donation. And they are very transparent with how they use money.

http://www.seva.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Nepal_Earthquake_Relief_Policy

Cardillac
4th June 2015, 20:31
@avid

if my read sources are correct the Clintons went on their 'honeymoon' to Haiti because the Haitian national bank is one of the biggest money laundering banks on the planet so I think we can safely assume this marriage of convenience visited Haiti for financial reasons

Larry