PDA

View Full Version : The Law of Polarity ~ Dualistic Universe

Omni
28th August 2015, 13:16
This article might seem like blasphemy to new age followers who buy what channelers tell them.. I don't mind a respectful debate. If you don't feel like reading a longer article, I highly recommend at least watching the 2 minute video. It is very concise and well done, by Sarah Johnson. It provides a potentially good solution to negative feelings IMHO and is good psychological advice.

Full Article:

The Law of Polarity ~ Dualistic Universe

First I reference a highly recommended and powerful short video(approx. 2min) about the Law of Polarity by Sarah Johnson:
o-6TWQeu5kQ

Sarah sums this up better than any other source I have seen in such a concise, perfect, and positively impactful way, I can't help but commend her on her potency in the video.

We live in a largely dualistic universe. When I hear new age sources demonize duality, I can't help but think they are being deluded by false and/or misleading information, or at the very least have a very limited perspective of reality when saying one can transcend duality. This may seem backwards to some readers, but all I ask is to hear me out before reaching a conclusion...

The simple fact that we have emotions that are of both polarities; negative and positive, shows me all the talk about transcending duality is nonsense. If you can manage to live life only with positive emotions I'm not sure you are fully human(And I do not mean that in a good way)...

The word duality is not just good and bad to me, but also represents the highly undeniable truth that the universe's very composition includes countless dualistic polarities.

Here are some I could think up:

Positive/Negative
Order/Disorder
Health/Sickness
Darkness/Light
Love/Hate(or alternatively fear, I find fear more potent than hate, but hate more an opposite of love)
Balance/Imbalance
Subjectivity/Objectivity
Equality/Inequality
Freedom/Enslavement
Truth/illusion
Physical/Non-Physical
Heavenly/Hellish
Growth/Stagnation
Synthetic/Natural
Integrity/Corrupt
Left Brained/Right Brained
Left/Right
Up/Down
Student/Teacher(this is a revolving door for the best interactions I think)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GywKcgnI96M/VeBWE0EIo7I/AAAAAAAABm0/kXckjLZqqY0/s320/Inverted_YinYang_stipple_yang_by_thegreymirror-d6fh7lg.jpg

As a practice I try to always scrutinize my own conclusions. When scrutinizing the idea of law of polarities I found it hard to come up with an opposite to "neutral" for a little while, however I think I found one, polarized. I can't be sure the law of polarities applies to everything, as I do not have the conscious capability to access all information in existence. Regardless, the law of polarities applies to practically everything, if not everything. Applying the solution to negative things Sarah promotes by understanding there is always an opposite to what one feels I think is potentially very beneficial psychological advice.

Without opposites nothing is defined. Dualistic properties of the universe are essential to existence as we know it. If there was no evil in existence, we would have nothing to contrast the best things in reality to. Without hot, there is no cold. Without up, there is no down, and so on. One could argue darkness is just as important as light, both metaphorically and literally.

The relativity of the poles further defines things in our existence. For example when starving, food tastes a lot better. When in a very dark situation, positive things feel much better. Relativity applies to dark and light feelings, and experiencing them both adds beauty, complexity, and definition to both poles of feelings.

Experiencing only one thing would eventually normalize and making it abundant in many cases would make the experience become redundant or lose it's potency. For example saying "eternal bliss" is superior to a dualistic existence I find flawed. Pretty much any experience loses it's stimulating effect after enough exposure. One develops a tolerance to experiences as per the mechanics of consciousness and if one was only ever in bliss eventually bliss would become "normal", and lose it's desirability. Potent love is one of the only things I've experienced that I think I would have a hard time experiencing it getting old. I still wouldn't want to be in a state of love all the time. The people who say eternal bliss is possible never experienced such things, unless they mean eternal as a descriptive away from it's time based definition.

I'm not sure any being can truly "transcend duality". There is talk of the highest forms of existence not including duality aka good or bad(only good), I personally think that is nonsense not based on reality. As nice as it sounds to experience only good, that requires a good deal of ignorance on this planet, and I am pretty sure the beings living in the "heavens" experience duality as well, just not as extreme as our planet does.

All that being said I do think being positive is a good thing. However ignorance of dark things happening on Earth will get us nowhere... Ignorance, apathy, and inaction plague mankind and are a big part of the problem we have here.

Non duality talk is a big part of the new age 'religion', I plan on writing about the new age religion much more in the future on this blog, so stay tuned for those... I believe the new age beliefs have a foundation built with psy ops(not to say it doesn't have some truths and value).

Source Link: http://omnisense.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-law-of-polarities-dualistic-universe-sarah-johnson-video.html

greybeard
28th August 2015, 13:52
The late Dr David Hawkins described diminishing rather than opposites
ie. like a thermometer --extreme heat less and less till there is an absence of heat
Saying that cold is the opposite of hot is useful linguistics.
You could use love--all the way from unconditional- to lack of love--Hate is not the opposite of love.
You could use voltage--energy--any number of things.
Non duality is ancient---not new age.
Ancient text, many thousand of years old, described non-duality as "One without a second" there is nowhere that "God" is not.
Even science is beginning to see that everything is linked.

Chris

Omni
28th August 2015, 14:21
The late Dr David Hawkins described diminishing rather than opposites
ie. like a thermometer --extreme heat less and less till there is an absence of heat
Saying that cold is the opposite of hot is useful linguistics.
You could use love--all the way from unconditional- to lack of love--Hate is not the opposite of love.
You could use voltage--energy--any number of things.
Non duality is ancient---not new age.
Ancient text, many thousand of years old, described non-duality as "One without a second" there is nowhere that "God" is not.
Even science is beginning to see that everything is linked.

Chris
In my view the "new age" involves many ancient things rehashed or repackaged or as they were back then on top of some newer things. Will you explain non duality in your view? Perhaps addressing how one can escape feeling a duality of emotions and still be human on this planet?

greybeard
28th August 2015, 14:43
My view is rather simple.
Nothing is right nor wrong till thinking makes it so---it just is as it is.
In non duality nothing is seen as good---or for that matter bad
I am aware that there are things best avoided.
While we are experiencing the world from dualistic perspective it does seem that there is a certain black and white to be observed.
However the move from dual to non-dual perspective can be progressive and beneficial

With practice it is possible to spend time in thoughtless awareness--this is true for me.
I view what is happening without going into the filing cabinet of the mind to label, judge, compare.
Its pure awareness uncontaminated by thought.
If I say too much we will get caught up in language---the path of non-duality has a language of it own and some of the meanings are quite subtle.
I agree that new age has taken on some ancient truths and modified or miss-understood them.

Dr Hawkins wrote a good book about transcending duality--he and other have including Tim on this thread
http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?43027-Enlightenment-A-direct-succinct-account-of-what-occurs...&p=456904&viewfull=1#post456904

Just have a look at the first post Omniverse---that encompasses my understanding--which did not come overnight.

Best wishes
Chris

Omni
28th August 2015, 15:18
My view is rather simple.
Nothing is right nor wrong till thinking makes it so---it just is as it is.
In non duality nothing is seen as good---or for that matter bad
I see strategy behind promoting this. No wonder channelers are promoting it hardcore for years. Once you believe there is no such thing as good or bad, doesn't that mean you no longer wish to sponsor good in the world? Isn't it all just grey? What is the point of creating good in the world if you do not even believe good exists?

Without getting too amped into good and bad, I guess you could label emotions desirable and undesirable. But I guess I'd ask a non duality believer if they see fear and hatred as not bad/negative? Sure you could say there is progress involved but essentially I see fear and hatred as negative/bad. The one thing non duality teachings have I agree with is good and bad can be quite subjective and have effects that transcend the labels into the other pole.

I guess you are saying non duality philosophy only applies to good and bad, and nothing dualistic except good and bad. When I interpret the word duality it means much more than just good or bad to me. Would you say there is no such thing as negative and positive then in addition to the labels good and bad? I personally think some things are absolutely negative or positive when put in certain context. For example I think genocide is generally a bad thing. I don't think I'll ever resonate with making everything grey, and not deciding if I like something or not(aka define it good or bad at times).

Will read your link in a bit. Thanks for the response Chris :)

I am aware that there are things best avoided.
While we are experiencing the world from dualistic perspective it does seem that there is a certain black and white to be observed.
However the move from dual to non-dual perspective can be progressive and beneficial
What are the benefits? I'd say a pitfall is no longer being on a side in the war taking place. If you cannot determine some things are bad, how do you avoid doing them? I guess a whole new mental operating system is needed for non duality, one alien to my own. I also note what you describe seems a lot like some of satanism's philosophies(moral relativism).

Fanna
28th August 2015, 15:51
Duality, trinity, unity, all of these exist within us without contradiction. Both of you are right.

The question is, are we ready to accept yet another density.

greybeard
28th August 2015, 15:51
Sorry without studying the subject deeply for years you are going to make assumptions.
Right action comes about all by itself.
I can not explain in a few sentences what non-duality is really about.
When you know the seeming other to be one with you then you will automatically follow the first two suggestions of Christ (I prefer the word suggestion rather than commandment. ) Basically love your brother as yourself.
That being done, then wars, materialism etc come to a natural end. These are all products of the egomaniacs.

I don't expect you to agree with me Omniverse--all I know is that studying non-duality has lead me to have a fuller, more compassionate, balanced life.

Best wishes
Chris

Omni
28th August 2015, 16:01
Sorry without studying the subject deeply for years you are going to make assumptions.
When you know the seeming other to be one with you then you will automatically follow the first two suggestions of Christ (I prefer the word suggestion rather than commandment. ) Basically love your brother as yourself.
That being done, then wars, materialism etc come to a natural end. These are all products of the egomaniacs.

I don't expect you to agree with me Omniverse--all I know is that studying non-duality has lead me to have a fuller, more compassionate, balanced life.

Best wishes
Chris
I guess that is all that matters, if it has helped you. I am still curious though. If rape, murder, child abuse, and genocide are not bad. What would you label them as?

Selkie
28th August 2015, 16:11
If you cannot determine some things are bad, how do you avoid doing them?

Great question, Omni!

Deega
28th August 2015, 16:29
Yes, the Law of Polarity is a creation of man to understand the underlying motion of energy to duality, many a Posts here talked about this.

I would think that the Law is limited to the Physical, though it may be an accomplice to the Spiritual. And if we bring in the non-duality, where does the Law fit in? I guess it still is in the Physical but at this joincture, it become a state of Mind, a state of Love, a state that is difficult to maintained since we are in constant pressure responding to one Basic Needs and living on Gravitional Earth.

Omni
28th August 2015, 16:32
Yes, the Law of Polarity is a creation of man to understand the underlying motion of energy to duality, many a Posts here talked about this.

I would think that the Law is limited to the Physical, though it may be an accomplice to the Spiritual. And if we bring in the non-duality, where does the Law fit in? I guess it still is in the Physical but at this joincture, it become a state of Mind, a state of Love, a state that is difficult to maintained since we are in constant pressure responding to one Basic Needs and living on Gravitional Earth.

Well what most people seem to be speaking of with non duality is only good and bad. Not polarities of everything. I don't think anyone has a leg to stand on if they deny the dualistic nature of the universe. Yin Yang is not nonsense IMO. In fact yin yang is one of the basic truths of existence IMHO.

And I don't think it is limited to the physical. Mental things also apply.

Thanks deega :)

greybeard
28th August 2015, 16:39

Best wishes
Chris
I guess that is all that matters, if it has helped you. I am still curious though. If rape, murder, child abuse, and genocide are not bad. What would you label them as?

Non-duality comes from a different perspective---what happened is not labelled.
There is no denial that it has happened----correct action occurs.
When it is possible to alleviate or help this happens
What you have mentioned is not condoned.

There is neither attraction or aversion but that statement is misleading--- an appropriate response happens without condemnation or a bleeding heart over emotional feeling. The response will be loving and practical.

From my perspective in duality normally the ego gets in there--in non duality the response is not self serving in anyway--well at least as far as that is possible for a non enlightened human

I am free of the commentator in the head judging me and all else--the mind is mainly silent--at peace.

Best wishes
Chris

Omni
28th August 2015, 16:56
Non-duality comes from a different perspective---what happened is not labelled.
There is no denial that it has happened----correct action occurs.
When it is possible to alleviate or help this happens
What you have mentioned is not condoned.
This goes back to my question about defining things. If you do not define actions as wrong or right/good or bad, then how do you decide what to do? How do you alter your own programming in terms of aligning your actions to the greater good of the planet if there is no conception of the idea of greater good?

Duality and non duality are labels themselves, so I do not see the logic in the non label stuff. Labels are as useful as they are flawed at times. I guess thats another thing I disagree with in terms of non duality philosophy.

There is neither attraction or aversion but that statement is misleading--- an appropriate response happens without condemnation or a bleeding heart over emotional feeling. The response will be loving and practical.
Loving and practical are also labels. No aversion to something like child abuse? This seems like a process of anti-individuality to me. Just a bunch of grey and undefined actions, which could lead to actions I personally view as "bad".

Without defining what is good and bad a person could commit severe atrocities. Perhaps the spiritually pure could get by with the non duality stuff, but a more lost person would be inclined to go after any old temptation of theirs without restraint if they lost definition of good and bad. This is a core tenent of satanism, there is no good or bad, so just do what is self serving.

From my perspective in duality normally the ego gets in there--in non duality the response is not self serving in anyway--well at least as far as that is possible for a non enlightened human
I think ego and self serving can happen equally in both philosophies personally. Satanism promotes some of the non duality stuff to get people into doing evil IMO. Once you no longer define things as good or bad, there is risk of doing evil since one no longer labels evil as bad aka something to not do because it is wrong.

greybeard
28th August 2015, 17:15
It takes time Omniverse but then, consistently, there does come appropriate response without the battle in the head of, should I do this or do something different? Is what I intend to do right or wrong?
A lot of verbiage whilst the person is perhaps in need of help now.
Avoidance of situations seems to be instinctive.
I dont have to have an in head management discussion about it.

I would not be comfortable standing on the edge of a cliff--I am not going into a lions cage---I dont have to think about it.

Im not talking from theory this is the way it is for me.
As you said the main thing is that it works very effectively for me.

Did you look at the first post in the thread that I linked Omniverse? ---that says it better than I can but that is a complete awakened shift.
I have experienced enough to know that this is possible for everyone.

Best wishes
Chris

regnak
28th August 2015, 20:26
Omniverse great post

look up the work of Walter Russell similar but greater depth there is a lot more to it :highfive:

Constance
28th August 2015, 22:37
Here we are discussing something so critical to our understanding of our place in the universe. It should be so blindingly obvious, immutable and attainable to us all... And yet it isn't!
Until that time does come, it makes me wonder how we are all going to find our way to peace on earth, together. Not together alone.

Selkie
28th August 2015, 22:42
I
I would not be comfortable standing on the edge of a cliff--I am not going into a lions cage---I dont have to think about it...

What about more subtle, ambiguous situations?

joeecho
29th August 2015, 04:37
The problem with 'nonduality' is that as soon as 'it' enters the world of form, words, ideas, objects, any discussion about 'it' is spoken in regards to duality. Nondualiy/ duality is the ultimate duality yet it is nonexistent.

Even using words like form conjures it's opposite in formless. One could say that nonduality is formless but that would be the opposite of form and hence one is back or better yet, never left duality.

Words (ideas) such as nonduality, nothing, formless only hint at the real 'thing'.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/76/46/01/764601843149f07c927a1325deece058.jpg

.....but don't take my word for it, it's just an idea.

Apophenia
29th August 2015, 05:20

Best wishes
Chris

Although I'm not GB, it is a good question that deserves an answer.

The simplest and quickest answer is that they are and always will be, any attempt to try to end all crime, bigotry, pain, suffering, genocide, etc... runs the risk of the following:
1) Reality becoming boring, predictable, or too linear.
2) The person advocating it, if they aren't generally naive and are serious in implementing it, would end up creating a society or system that would mimic what the presiding elite claim to want.
3) The risk of actually carrying out these described extremes with the best of intentions, and another risk of being tarred in history books as doing it for malevolent reasons, regardless of what the truth of the circumstance may be.
4) A high risk of resulting in a world that is totalitarianism-lite, at the very least.

One can be amoral without being a psychopath, nihilist, absurdist, or sadist. To suggest otherwise is to inadvertently lump all reality into a 2-dimensional perspective where there are never any shades of grey or extenuating circumstances.

greybeard
29th August 2015, 10:26
I
I would not be comfortable standing on the edge of a cliff--I am not going into a lions cage---I dont have to think about it...

What about more subtle, ambiguous situations?

What I say can easily be misunderstood Selkie.
When the Ultimate (which is my Self) is surrendered to, guidance automatically happens.
To over simplify---I don't have to control my breathing or my footsteps, it just happens without any thought--this is part of thoughtless awareness.
Because, like many others, I have committed to "Self Realisation", whatever is helpful to the revealing of my "True" nature happens.
All seeming obstacles are brought into awareness to be let go of.
It could be called purification.
However the Sun (Self) is always shining --the obstacles to seeing this are the clouds that temporarily obscure the vision of this.

The belief is "Only God is" there is no where that God is not.
I don't mean a "God of judgement" but an energy that became all of us without diminishing itself.

That's as best I can answer your post Selkie.

Love Chris

Sunny-side-up
29th August 2015, 11:14
I haven't read the full post and replies yet and don't know if this view has been added,so:

The main reason we are always at odds in the world is because we have run our view of life in a simplistic way 'Duality'

That is the Dumbed Down view! I think is you go to the route of the idea you will find we live in something more like a 'Triadic' universe!

Here is one example that is used against us, dividing us!
Dualistic : Law-Crime etc, etc
Triadic : Law-Crime-Hidden Rules (Hidden Rules/Hidden Rulers do as they please in this reality, out-side of the Duality i

We are divided easily by thinking it's duality, so simple!

Same goes for all other aspects of the so called reality, It's all shades of polarity's!

PS: Up-Down ? we live in space, no up or down just angles and we all know how important angles are :)

ghostrider
29th August 2015, 12:11
this goes to the heart of Creation , infinite spiritual energy producing a material Universe , one does a ballet with the other ... the law of cause and affect ... it's all a ballet and we are merely players and portrayers ...

Omni
29th August 2015, 12:26
PS: Up-Down ? we live in space, no up or down just angles and we all know how important angles are :)

Up and Down are relative, I agree. But basic 3D principles apply to space and involve dimensions of "<--> ^v". It could be labeled "that way-this way" instead of up and down but I find up and down just fine personally given we live on a surface of a planet, and up down does apply here IMHO.

Deega
29th August 2015, 13:39

Well what most people seem to be speaking of with non duality is only good and bad. Not polarities of everything. I don't think anyone has a leg to stand on if they deny the dualistic nature of the universe. Yin Yang is not nonsense IMO. In fact yin yang is one of the basic truths of existence IMHO.

Welcome my friend, I thought that a definition would probably helped the discussion.

Polarity in Physics
1. the property or characteristic that produces unequal physical effects at different points in a body or system, as a magnet or storage battery.
2. the positive or negative state in which a body reacts to a magnetic, electric, or other field.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/polarity

Well then it's manifest in the physical, can't have it otherwise. But, the expression of Polarities in the physical brings in the Trinity principle where every manifestation within a pair of polarities produced another result that will fit its opposite and it keep on never ending process, similar to fractal, mitosis.

I concur, it's really difficult to deny the dualistic nature of the Universe, but still, is dark matter only polarities, I would think that it's more, is dark energy only polarities, also, I would think that it's more.

Interesting Tread and Posts, thanks Omniverse.

greybeard
29th August 2015, 13:58
The challenge is that those who believe in duality cant be very open minded about non-duality and in some cases vice versa.
Formless is not dual and everything originates from the formless.
However the mind can not get it.
The nearest expression as far as I can see is that " Both form and formless and neither"
Would seem that "God" is beyond the human mind to understand--any attempt is a limitation of that which know no limits.

Im not denying in the world there is/are polarities/opposites.
There is the same situation in a dream---which on awakening is found to have been unreal.
Separation from Source would also seem to be unreal.

Not saying Im right ---this is my current understanding---which is flawed because I am human.

Chris

Selkie
29th August 2015, 15:46
Wouldn't a simple bar magnet be a demonstration of duality?

Bar magnets with iron filings,

https://fizikapress.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dva-magneta.jpg

Nothing to "believe in" there...

I'm beginning to think that non-duality is a construct,

con·struct

verb

verb: construct; 3rd person present: constructs; past tense: constructed; past participle: constructed; gerund or present participle: constructing

/kənˈstrəkt/

build or erect (something, typically a building, road, or machine).
"a company that constructs oil rigs"

synonyms: build, erect, put up, set up, raise, establish, assemble, manufacture, fabricate, create, make
"a new high-rise was being constructed"

antonyms: demolish

•form (an idea or theory) by bringing together various conceptual elements, typically over a period of time.
"Ptolemy combined his interests to construct a theory in support of Aristotle"

synonyms: formulate, form, put together, create, devise, design, compose, work out; More
fashion, mold, shape, frame

"he constructed a faultless argument"

•Grammar
form (a sentence) according to grammatical rules.

•Geometry
draw or delineate (a geometric figure) accurately to given conditions.

noun

noun: construct; plural noun: constructs

/ˈkänˌstrəkt/

an idea or theory containing various conceptual elements, typically one considered to be subjective and not based on empirical evidence.
"history is largely an ideological construct"

(my emphasis)

and (perhaps) a cop out.

Fanna
29th August 2015, 16:14
Unity:
All is one. One is all. My soul and yours are one.

Duality:
Brilliant magnets are brilliant. Such light dark dualities permeate our universe.

Trinity:
During any physical event, we as humans have a 3-fold reaction. Our bodies react, our brains think, and our hearts feel. The trinity may disagree amongst itself!

Ain:

Notice how i may have all of these existing without contradiction. Unity and naught may even occur together! For such is duality, is it not? Myself, as a trinity, may one day be a part of a duality or union between two, but this does not override how my mind/body/spirit reacts in trinity.

joeecho
29th August 2015, 18:08
The challenge is that those who believe in duality cant be very open minded about non-duality and in some cases vice versa.
Formless is not dual and everything originates from the formless.
However the mind can not get it.
The nearest expression as far as I can see is that " Both form and formless and neither"
Would seem that "God" is beyond the human mind to understand--any attempt is a limitation of that which know no limits.

Im not denying in the world there is/are polarities/opposites.
There is the same situation in a dream---which on awakening is found to have been unreal.
Separation from Source would also seem to be unreal.

Not saying Im right ---this is my current understanding---which is flawed because I am human.

Chris

Mind is the limitation to 'understanding' God (I use the word 'God' here because that is all I have to use in this media in hopes of conveying what I mean).

https://ivyprosper.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/wpid-screenshot_2014-08-22-06-43-36-1.png

Omni
29th August 2015, 18:14

Welcome my friend, I thought that a definition would probably helped the discussion.

Polarity in Physics
1. the property or characteristic that produces unequal physical effects at different points in a body or system, as a magnet or storage battery.
2. the positive or negative state in which a body reacts to a magnetic, electric, or other field.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/polarity

Well then it's manifest in the physical, can't have it otherwise. But, the expression of Polarities in the physical brings in the Trinity principle where every manifestation within a pair of polarities produced another result that will fit its opposite and it keep on never ending process, similar to fractal, mitosis.

I concur, it's really difficult to deny the dualistic nature of the Universe, but still, is dark matter only polarities, I would think that it's more, is dark energy only polarities, also, I would think that it's more.

Interesting Tread and Posts, thanks Omniverse.
Here is Google's definition of polarity:

po·lar·i·ty
pəˈlerədē,pōˈlerədē/
noun

the property of having poles or being polar.
"it exhibits polarity when presented to a magnetic needle"
the relative orientation of poles; the direction of a magnetic or electric field.
plural noun: polarities
"the magnetic field peaks in strength immediately after switching polarity"
Polarities can be found in both the physical and mental realms. For example objectivity/subjectivity or many other mental processes explained by dual poles.

I agree trinity is also applicable to the universe. One could argue the universe is largely trinityesk(or however you would call it) on top of dualistic. Can also be summed up in quads but the higher the number is the less systems apply to it I tend to think. I think perhaps a majority of systems of the universe apply to #'s 1-2-3, but that isn't something I know it's just a quick assumption.

loveoflife
29th August 2015, 18:54
Imagine that there is one energy with two polarities, two sides of a coin. Simultaneous oneness and difference.

Instead of aligning with one aspect of duality or the other transcend the polarities while retaining individuality.

Selkie
29th August 2015, 20:01
Imagine that there is one energy with two polarities, two sides of a coin. Simultaneous oneness and difference.

Instead of aligning with one aspect of duality or the other transcend the polarities while retaining individuality.

Well of course.

However, it means that duality is real...that it is a real aspect of the universe...and not imaginary, as some people would like us to believe. We could not even imagine oneness if there was not duality to contrast it with.

greybeard
29th August 2015, 20:17

Well of course.

However, it means that duality is real...that it is a real aspect of the universe...and not imaginary, as some people would like us to believe. We could not even imagine oneness if there was not duality to contrast it with.

One can imagine and dream many things---smiling broadly.
No limits to what the "mind of God" can come up with"

There are many books on non-duality that are written by those who are in that state.
Ancient text too.
That is first hand compelling evidence for me.

There is of course compelling evidence for duality and individuality.

Having started of believing in being an individual me, I get that.
Then having spent time reading, meditating, following the advice of Ramana Maharshi (self enquiry) First and foremost find out who/what you are, slowly but surely I have come to believe what I have expressed here. There is only one without a second and I am That.

Best wishes to all
Chris

Sunny-side-up
29th August 2015, 23:41

con·struct

verb

verb: construct; 3rd person present: constructs; past tense: constructed; past participle: constructed; gerund or present participle: constructing

/kənˈstrəkt/

synonyms: build, erect, put up, set up, raise, establish, assemble, manufacture, fabricate, create, make

•form (an idea or theory) by bringing together various conceptual elements, typically over a period of time.

synonyms: formulate, form, put together, create, devise, design, compose, work out; More

•Grammar

•Geometry

noun

/ˈkänˌstrəkt/

an idea or theory containing various conceptual elements, typically one considered to be subjective and not based on empirical evidence.

(my emphasis)

and (perhaps) a cop out.

Hmm! when I look at your magnet image I see a continuum, not opposites or individuals, the energy show a circling path ' a circle' no start or ending, they are one!

Just one way of looking at that magnetic pattern!

greybeard
29th August 2015, 23:52
A few simple questions might shed some light on duality vs non-duality.
Are you aware that you exist?
Do you need anything whatsoever to confirm that you exist?

This is known as "being" self aware.
The Self is aware of it Self---this is the root of non-duality.

Not even a thought is needed to confirm this.
Thoughts like everything else, including the body, are not permanent.
You just know in silent awareness that you are.

What you are is eternal.
Awareness is eternal and non changing--unaffected by the ups and downs of life.
Awareness is not personal but that's another subject--ie Enlightenment/Self Realisation..
Only form needs the law of polarity---in essence you are formless and everything originates from the formless and yet is not separate.
The right hand seems to be separate from the left and has a different function yet they are both incorporated in one body.
Everything that we see as separate is One (one collective consciousness).

Hope this is helpful, though it is far removed from the truth which can not be described, is beyond understanding.

Respectfully
Chris

Omni
30th August 2015, 00:18
Only form needs the law of polarity---in essence you are formless and everything originates from the formless and yet is not separate.
I disagree. Formlessness exists within a polarity of form and formlessness. So it too is part of polarity. It is one pole of a dual system. Just because one is in one pole of a dualistic system doesn't mean you have transcended duality. The duality of it exists regardless of you labeling it, as well.

Oneness doesn't conflict with duality either. Oneness/Separated.

Selkie
30th August 2015, 00:28

con·struct

verb

/kənˈstrəkt/

•Grammar

•Geometry

noun

/ˈkänˌstrəkt/

(my emphasis)

and (perhaps) a cop out.

Hmm! when I look at your magnet image I see a continuum, not opposites or individuals, the energy show a circling path ' a circle' no start or ending, they are one!

Just one way of looking at that magnetic pattern!

The thing of it is, every one of those iron filings becomes polarized, too. Each one has a north end, and a south end, even where they form a circle. The whole (the circle) is made up of smaller, polarized units.

In other words, if it were not for polarization (duality), the whole (the circle) would not form (exist) at all.

In other words, it is actually duality that created the whole.

http://vitalcoaching.com/images/yabyum9.jpg

greybeard
30th August 2015, 09:25
I disagree. Formlessness exists within a polarity of form and formlessness. So it too is part of polarity. It is one pole of a dual system. Just because one is in one pole of a dualistic system doesn't mean you have transcended duality. The duality of it exists regardless of you labeling it, as well.

Oneness doesn't conflict with duality either. Oneness/Separated.

We are in agreement that oneness does not conflict with duality.
From my perspective they are one and contained within the One

Awareness is prior to all and is permanent--all else comes and goes.
You, as awareness, are prior to the formation of Universes and remain on the dissolution of Universes.

Perhaps a good example is the Ocean--individual waves come and go-- they are still the ocean but their seeming separate identity is an illusion.
The wave never left the Ocean.
The magnet is still the magnet regardless of which end/"polarity" is viewed--the action is in essence the same energy doing different things.

The mind uses words to organise and file what is happening and this is useful.
Awareness does not need any label to observe and fully experience.
It just sees the impermanence of this world coming and going from a non-dual state.
Everything literally happens within Awareness.

Respectfully
Chris

loveoflife
30th August 2015, 11:34

Well of course.

Well of course.

There are many books on non-duality that are written by those who are in that state.
Ancient text too.

Then having spent time reading, meditating, following the advice of Ramana Maharshi (self enquiry) First and foremost find out who/what you are, slowly but surely I have come to believe what I have expressed here. There is only one without a second and I am That.

Best wishes to all
Chris

I said imagine to introduce the concept of simultaneous oneness and difference, as it is not usually considered among the proliferation of philosophies around oneness like advaita and buddhism.

Simultaneous oneness and difference or 'Achintya-Bheda-Abheda' from the sanskrit. It translates as INCONCEIVABLE simultaneous oneness and difference and is a philosophy of the Vedanta school of Hinduism. It is described there as the nature and quality of the soul in its transcendent state, this is a dualistic transcendent philosophy as opposed to monist. The vedantists claim that it goes beyond oneness to include eternal co existing individuality. Individuality which is lost upon merging with the one or Brahman, or even into the void and cessation of existence as believed by some; a buddhist concept.

There is of course much dispute between the Vedanta and Mayavadi schools as to which state is the highest or absolute.

When considering all these philosophies, i would also recommend investigating the gnostic concept of demurge and the false light, of which many now like to refer to as the matrix but on a cosmic astral level of existence. It may explain for some where all these philosophies that are at variance come from.

There is truth in all these belief systems and they all seem to agree that the basis of all experience comes from desire (kamah). Be careful what you desire as you will get it, though in a world predominated by illusion (maya) it may not be what you expect.

I would go further and say that all these states of liberation (moksha) from so called material existence do exist and many from the different schools like to argue that theirs is the only way, or the right way or the highest. Its not a case or either/or but of both/and...

If they are actually liberation and eternal states of existence is also in question when considering this illusion matrix illusion of the demiurge, of whom it said created all the religions and various philosophical schools of thought.

My advice is be wary of hierarchies and those who put themselves above us in this life or the next.

Selkie
30th August 2015, 11:52
...Simultaneous oneness and difference or 'Achintya-Bheda-Abheda' from the sanskrit. It translates as INCONCEIVABLE simultaneous oneness and difference and is a philosophy of the Vedanta school of Hinduism.

Here we go again: duality. We conceive of things and it is through the ability to conceive of things that we become aware that there of things of which we cannot conceive. It seems to be that only by being aware of duality can we conceive of oneness in the first place.

My advice is be wary of hierarchies and those who put themselves above us in this life or the next.

I would certainly agree with that.

loveoflife
30th August 2015, 11:56
From my perspective they are one and contained within the One

Perhaps a good example is the Ocean--individual waves come and go-- they are still the ocean but their seeming separate identity is an illusion.
The wave never left the Ocean.
The magnet is still the magnet regardless of which end/"polarity" is viewed--the action is in essence the same energy doing different things.

The mind uses words to organise and file what is happening and this is useful.
Awareness does not need any label to observe and fully experience.
It just sees the impermanence of this world coming and going from a non-dual state.
Everything literally happens within Awareness.

Respectfully
Chris

I am playing devils advocate here.

Everything that you said there Chris about the ocean can be interpreted that they are all one. Yet from a dualistic transcendent perspective when using the analogy of the drop of water upon merging with the ocean becomes the the ocean, this is true yet in dualism acintya bedha...... the drop also remains the drop. This is the inconceivable part, inconceivable because it transcends the understanding of the mind and materialistic conception.

loveoflife
30th August 2015, 12:00

Well of course.

Well of course.

Ancient text too.

Best wishes to all
Chris

...Simultaneous oneness and difference or 'Achintya-Bheda-Abheda' from the sanskrit. It translates as INCONCEIVABLE simultaneous oneness and difference and is a philosophy of the Vedanta school of Hinduism.

Here we go again: duality. We conceive of things and it is through the ability to conceive of things that we become aware that there of things of which we cannot conceive. It seems to be that only by being aware of duality can we conceive of oneness in the first place.

I would certainly agree with that.

We are in duality here there is no denying it and everything that we examine through the filter of duality will be paradoxical, we just have to live with it and cling to our individual transcendent belief systems.

greybeard
30th August 2015, 12:56
loveoflife on the whole I am in agreement with you.
The various schools hold different opinions and they may or not be so.

What I like about the "path" of Self realisation is that "teachers" of this say that you are already enlightened, everything is, just in ignorance of this.
The teacher and the taught are seen as the same and there is no hierarchy, they point to what they experience as being the Truth and that Truth is within everyone waiting to be discovered.

Nothing created the knowing that I exist--nothing can take it away.
As said nothing exterior (Dual) is needed to know "I am".

While I agree that belief systems take you to what you believe in--during this life and in the here after, there would seem to be exceptions in that Eckhart Tolle for one had no spiritual beliefs yet a shift in consciousness happened.
There are others who gave up on searching for the Truth and years later it (enlightenment) just happened.

Most who are non dual teachers of the moment are not allied to a sect, group,philosophy, secret order, they just point to awareness, which is their ultimate experience,
Again words dont do it.
I really dont think it matters what individual transcendent belief system we have.
I dont think we should cling to it or identify with it ie as in "I am a non dualistic believer"
I think it is just enough to be present in the moment.

Not out to convince or prove anything--just enjoying the discussion.

Best wishes
Chris

loveoflife
30th August 2015, 14:03

Well of course.

Well of course.

Ancient text too.

Best wishes to all
Chris

loveoflife on the whole I am in agreement with you.
The various schools hold different opinions and they may or not be so.

What I like about the "path" of Self realisation is that "teachers" of this say that you are already enlightened, everything is, just in ignorance of this.
The teacher and the taught are seen as the same and there is no hierarchy, they point to what they experience as being the Truth and that Truth is within everyone waiting to be discovered.

Nothing created the knowing that I exist--nothing can take it away.
As said nothing exterior (Dual) is needed to know "I am".

While I agree that belief systems take you to what you believe in--during this life and in the here after, there would seem to be exceptions in that Eckhart Tolle for one had no spiritual beliefs yet a shift in consciousness happened.
There are others who gave up on searching for the Truth and years later it (enlightenment) just happened.

Most who are non dual teachers of the moment are not allied to a sect, group,philosophy, secret order, they just point to awareness, which is their ultimate experience,
Again words dont do it.
I really dont think it matters what individual transcendent belief system we have.
I dont think we should cling to it or identify with it ie as in "I am a non dualistic believer"
I think it is just enough to be present in the moment.

Not out to convince or prove anything--just enjoying the discussion.

Best wishes
Chris

I agree, i do not deny the experience of enlightenment and that we are already there.

Enlightenment is virtually unknown in western mainstream philosophies. Yet is it the ultimate as some claim it to be, is there more? Even those who claim to be enlightened do not know everything life is still by and large a mystery.

I view enlightenment as a natural state of humans that has been taken away. It is a beginning and not a conclusion or ultimate goal.

greybeard
30th August 2015, 14:31
Posted by loveoflife

"I agree, i do not deny the experience of enlightenment and that we are already there.

Enlightenment is virtually unknown in western mainstream philosophies. Yet is it the ultimate as some claim it to be, is there more? Even those who claim to be enlightened do not know everything life is still by and large a mystery.

I view enlightenment as a natural state of humans that has been taken away. It is a beginning and not a conclusion or ultimate goal."
End of quote

I agree with all of that.
It may be that enlightenment Self realisation is attainable here and is the ultimate here on earth.
The late Dr Hawkins and I think Eckhart Tolle both said that enlightenment could be seen as kindergarten from a higher perspective.

For "me" the way to go is Self Realisation It would seem that is a way out of the cycle of reincarnation---I am not saying this is the only way.

Respectfully
Chris

terragunn
30th August 2015, 15:18
Integration/healing of both polarities, in my feeling, is the way to transcend the Game of Duality and leave the Game. But one must first acknowledge and understand this is all just a grandiose Game that we have become addicted to, and, through our Spirit (Source) electricity and manifestional abilities continue to power and create new layers of expansion/separation within (most definitely a double-edged sword, so to speak! :o). Understanding of how we are coerced back into the Game via 'death' is also most salient to escaping the computation Matrix, which is a matrix of the mind.

DouglasDanger
31st August 2015, 06:26
Unity:
All is one. One is all. My soul and yours are one.

Duality:
Brilliant magnets are brilliant. Such light dark dualities permeate our universe.

Trinity:
During any physical event, we as humans have a 3-fold reaction. Our bodies react, our brains think, and our hearts feel. The trinity may disagree amongst itself!

Ain:

Notice how i may have all of these existing without contradiction. Unity and naught may even occur together! For such is duality, is it not? Myself, as a trinity, may one day be a part of a duality or union between two, but this does not override how my mind/body/spirit reacts in trinity.

If I am in between negative and positive where am I standing?
If evil is below me and good above me where am I standing?
If I flip this coin of life and it does not land on heads or tails on what does it land?

Trinity nah. Triality! as life is a Trial of events determining where one stands when existing in Midgard.

There is not only black and white but a Plethora of shades of Grey's(Beard ;) )

On a serious note, this has been a good thread to read.

loveoflife
31st August 2015, 10:32
A good article i would recommend reading. The Gatekeeper (http://www.heartstarbooks.com/the-gatekeeper/)

The parasite called I

Humanities problem is the gatekeeper, the parasitical, spiritual hit-man of our species. The watcher at the threshold of our immortality. The fearful ego I that keeps us locked into the abyss, and the game of ‘us and them’. The watcher is the servant of the enemy of life, and the third dimension is its playground. The glare of the serpent’s eye is hypnotic, and it can and does engage our minds, and lives its life of self gratification through our awareness and emotions… until we die. It is the chattering voice of distraction, the guard at the gate that leads to the All, the reptilian implant that has usurped our divinity. Only the foolish think the Law of Duality: The Law of Polarity can change. There can be no utopia in duality, in the world of the predator there is only I, me and mine.

Human beings are all action and reaction[duality] and the way the game is rigged, we pile up energetic debt that draws us back life after life into the brutal game of the abyss. The pendulum swings back and forth, age after age, and man the farm animal comes out of the caves and goes back in…ad infinitum and ad nauseum.

We don’t realise we have a mind parasite, and the cause of the problems in the world are energetic. The conflict is spiritual, and the manifested world is a reflection of ourselves; our impostor consciousness of hereditary entitlement to scar and rape the living world.

greybeard
31st August 2015, 11:45
Thanks for this loveoflife
The parts that I have pasted is the root of the misery in this world.

The fearful ego I that keeps us locked into the abyss, and the game of ‘us and them’
And
Only the foolish think the Law of Duality: The Law of Polarity can change. There can be no utopia in duality, in the world of the predator there is only I, me and mine.

And

We don’t realise we have a mind parasite, and the cause of the problems in the world are energetic. The conflict is spiritual, and the manifested world is a reflection of ourselves; our impostor consciousness of hereditary entitlement to scar and rape the living world.

With appreciation
Chris

greybeard
31st August 2015, 11:56
People run here there and everywhere trying to fix the problem or just find someone to blame or perhaps save us.

Gandhi pointed to the the solution--"Be the change you want to see"

When a mass of people start to move towards Self realisation/Enlightenment (Non-duality) then the shift will happen.
The imposter (parasite) is discovered and the real Self emerges---- the caterpillar becomes the butterfly.

The ego is transcended.

Its that important if we want a brave new peaceful world.

Chris

loveoflife
31st August 2015, 15:02
From the same article.

In the words of Krishnamurti:

Truth is truth, one, alone; it has no sides, no paths; all paths do not lead to truth. There is no path to truth, it must come to you. Truth can come to you only when your mind and heart are simple, clear, and there is love in your heart; not if your heart is filled with the things of the mind. When there is love in your heart, you do not talk about organizing for brotherhood; you do not talk about belief, you do not talk about division or the powers that create division, you need not seek reconciliation. Then you are a simple human being without a label, without a country. This means that you must strip yourself of all those things and allow truth to come into being; and it can only come when the mind is empty, when the mind ceases to create. Then it will come without your invitation. Then it will come as swiftly as the wind and unbeknown. It comes obscurely, not when you are watching, wanting. It is there as sudden as sunlight, as pure as the night; but to receive it, the heart must be full and the mind empty.

kirolak
31st August 2015, 21:06
My tuppence worth - both positive & negative are necessary, and to be in balance, in order to anchor this dimension in place; once we reach a certain point we transcend this need. Perhaps this is what is meant by "ascension"; the rising OUT of these pairs of opposites?

All roads lead to The End; the Left Hand Path merges with the Right Hand Path at some point. Nevertheless, at this stage of 3D I believe that we do still need to make a choice, positive or negative. If we take on Krishnamurti's Choiceless Awareness, we see that the Choicelessness is not a lack of options, but the non-ability to make a "wrong" choice; as we are in the Moment, and thus in agreement with the Universe, for lack of a better word. So action and intention coincide.

There is the sense of "Aha", the wonder, the numinous, coming upon one unbidden - yet, we must still fight the impossible-to-win battle against anger, cruelty, abuse & torpitude,; perhaps it is like the Macro versus the Micro view of the atom (or the sound of one hand not clapping at all?)

Omni
1st September 2015, 04:16
The following is a post from the David Icke forum where I posted this same article. I realize this post may seem like the blasphemy of the new age. And I can't imagine what Chris would say/feel after reading it(I guess maybe we will see, hopefully its not a bad reaction as nothing like that is my intention) It is just how I feel.

Yeah, I'd agree that non duality is no harbour for strong opinion, pretty much the opposite. I don't think that necessarily negates individual personality, although by it's very nature it is telling you that individuality is somewhat of an illusion.
My view might be alien to yours and the common view, but I do not see myself so much as one with others. At best that is a limited idea, that we are all connected to the same source(nature's energy i may call it, others may call it God) is a nice concept, but I think it is fully entrenched in duality. How many people feel at one with everything all the time??? I bet they are lying if they say yes to that... Oneness/Separate are both pivotal. To imbalance them I do not see as in alignment to reality but trapped in a concept, not paying attention to one's own experiences...

My own individuality is a pride of mine. I like my character and take pride in having impeccable ethics/morals. I do not do mental gymnastics in debate. I respond to pretty much any relevant point in debate. I do not exaggerate. And unless you are a threat to me I am completely honest.

I simply do not see that many great qualities in the masses of people on Earth. So personally I do not find the idea of being one with them too appealing. I do realize the appeal of the idea of being one. I have liked the energies/concepts of that particular variety too. But how much time does a person actually spend feeling one with everything. I'd say under 10% of the time.

This is probably blasphemy(at least I wont be crucified for it by new agers lol) but I resonate more with individuality than oneness. Although I do love some of the feeling oneness provides, I always go back to being myself. And I am very happy with who I am.

I realize my view may make people hate me. People are so easily divided by beliefs. If anything I like someone with a unique view(unless it's somehow tactically destructive or a psy op). Debate offers more examination into our own beliefs if nothing else. And unless you've never been wrong before(a bad sign, not a good one typically) it offers insight into where one may be wrong about something.

Most plants need both light and dark for growth. Such it is with us. I would not love so deeply if there was no contrast.
Totally agree. :)

Explaining the purpose of duality:

But what purpose is duality for?
Many reasons. For example growing the soul. Without the contrast of polarities nothing would have much definition. Definition and experiences I believe is what programs the soul over time.

One lesson I was given related to the growing of soul when overcoming hardships. The stronger we feel about something the more defined it is in the soul in one theory. So contrasting light to dark will further define the soul.

Everything being grey kind of negates that... I see some of the non duality teachings as somewhat anti individuality. No taking a stand on subjects, just ignore them as nothingness, pure grey, it's all the same... That being said I have seen people gain from non duality stuff too so it's not one sided.

greybeard
1st September 2015, 12:37
Omni I don't have a problem with what you post.
We are having an intelligent respectful conversation.

I can only say what I believe to be so --its an educated opinion-- the education coming from listening to, reading the words of those who to me seem to be in the state known as enlightenment---their perspective of life is radically different from mine.
They would see my version as lacking, while theirs is is brilliant, vibrant, alive, Tecnicolor.
Its beyond the mind to get--the mind being limited.

I always refer to Tim's thread, that's as close a description as I have read.

I agree that pre enlightenment very few, if any, can love everyone as their brother I don't-- I am however aware that this is my problem--everyone is loveable to some one. Its more that I dont condone what some people do---I can in fact see that give their circumstances I could do similar.
Some I would not want to spend time with. All this seems to take care of itself without my making a big thing of it.

So with me its "Work in Progress" but I will say that due to a profound change in attitude/perception my life has changed for the better.
Mind has become virtually silent Im at peace with me.

David Icke has said that "Only unconditional love is real, the rest is an illusion" yet he can point to the actions of TPTB effectively.

Best wishes
Chris

Avuso
2nd September 2015, 09:45
This debate seems to me a difference in 1) perspective and 2) language.

1) Non-duality is looking at things from an ultimate perspective, and for us humans to even imagine this we have to let go of all of our current beliefs, at least set them down to be able to experience our true nature. You can still use duality and ego after that to help create a better world.

2) The beliefs and language we use isn't so important since we transcend them anyway and because our ability as humans to understand the whole is so limited. We're not here to get all the details right, we are here to learn love, compassion, and wisdom.

Omnisense writes:

"My view might be alien to yours and the common view, but I do not see myself so much as one with others.

I simply do not see that many great qualities in the masses of people on Earth. So personally I do not find the idea of being one with them too appealing.

but I resonate more with individuality than oneness.

You're not the same as others on this incredibly diverse world in terms of actions, values, beliefs, thoughts, vibration, etc, but from an ultimate point we are all made of the same fabric, underlying our inherent equality, value, divinity, worth, love, our essence.
So for you, become one with yourself. It's the same thing. It leads to the same place. But what's key is greybeard's or our commitment to take responsibility for our problems and heal their cause. On the ultimate level it's not ET's, reincarnation traps, or PTB that's responsible for our presence here and the quality of our experience- it's the results of our choices, both past and present.

Love and light :)