PDA

View Full Version : Want To Learn Web Development?

spacejack
8th September 2015, 04:23
Idea:
Im thinking of doing a series of posts on the basics of HTML and CSS plus some other useful information like hosting and content management systems like WordPress, forums and stores.

I would like to have a category or section called "Web Development 101". In here I can make some official threads like "HTML Basics", "Hosting","What Is WordPress", "Making Your Own Blog" etc.

Requirements:
Just a dedicated section/category

What I will do:
I will write all of the content and answer any related questions.

Compensation:
None - Ill write everything out if enough people are interested.

Potential compensation available for the site - Anytime I namedrop, we can link it via affiliate links and its like a donation.

Timeline:
2 weeks. Id like to do daily posts for 2 weeks minimum - plus some scheduled chat time. Then re-evaluate from there. That gives enough time for any basic basic user to learn or expand.

Why?
You greatly increase your potential to help awaken more people by being informed on the basic internet technologies. You will know how to make a blog, youtube channel, forum, ebook and more.

How to start:
Just post here if you are interested and hopefully we can pull it off.

fifula
8th September 2015, 07:14
Hi Spacejack! Fantastic idea! I have always wanted to learn basics of HTML and own webpage/blog hostings :))

Fanna
8th September 2015, 07:24
check out this kid for a little heads up on what other people are thinking too.

6pbxQQG25Jw

Bubu
8th September 2015, 07:55
Im interested. thanks

Wide-Eyed
8th September 2015, 13:37
Yes!! Great idea, thanks:thumbsup:

eris23
8th September 2015, 14:41
I have been teaching myself html ans css on a free website called code academy. It would be useful to be able to ask questions to a live person.

Selkie
8th September 2015, 14:46
I wouldn't mind knowing a smattering of that stuff. I wouldn't get into it too deeply, probably...although one never knows.

prc
8th September 2015, 15:55
I'm interested.
Thank you to offer guidance and help!

Kind regards,
Prc

Joao
8th September 2015, 18:19
Sounds interesting !!

Thank you for the great offer !

spacejack
8th September 2015, 20:50
Glad people are interested! Ill message the mods and see if I can get a category and start.

prc
8th September 2015, 21:50
Please send a direct message to inform us about the thread, where we can find the topic.

Kind Regards,

Prc

ThePythonicCow
8th September 2015, 22:11
Glad people are interested! Ill message the mods and see if I can get a category and start.

One of the other mods asked me an interesting question -- would not this present Avalon sub-forum, The Internet (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/forumdisplay.php?133-The-Internet), but just the right place to post such threads ? There is not that much other traffic in this sub-forum, so I see little risk of things getting lost in the noise of lots of unrelated traffic.

spacejack
8th September 2015, 22:53

One of the other mods asked me an interesting question -- would not this present Avalon sub-forum, The Internet (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/forumdisplay.php?133-The-Internet), but just the right place to post such threads ? There is not that much other traffic in this sub-forum, so I see little risk of things getting lost in the noise of lots of unrelated traffic.

I'd be fine with that. I figured this would be a section beside Internet, but doesnt matter to me - I didnt want to have things cluttered or mixed.

Either way you guys suggest, Ill follow that.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

If it was a sub forum, users could post threads asking tech questions, and I could also sticky the learning threads where I teach the a lesson per thread via multiple posts.
But again, if its easier another way, I dont mind.

Daozen
8th September 2015, 23:10
This would help me a lot. Thanks

Smoke Me A Kipper
8th September 2015, 23:35
Sounds good to me, I've just started having a crack at coding with Khan Academy... its a free website and seems quite good. .

Looking forward to your posts..

ThePythonicCow
9th September 2015, 00:19
If it was a sub forum, users could post threads asking tech questions, and I could also sticky the learning threads where I teach the a lesson per thread via multiple posts.
All that can be done, right in this Internet sub-forum.

You can ask any of the Moderators to sticky threads for you ... best done by Reporting the first post in the thread, by clicking the [url=http://projectavalon.net/forum4/images/buttons/report-40b.png[/url] triangle at the bottom of that first post. All the Mods can see Reported posts, and whomever is available next can look into the request.

Any member can start a tread in this, or most any other, sub-forum.

If the traffic for this becomes large enough, then it might make sense to create yet another sub-forum.

ThePythonicCow
9th September 2015, 00:35
One of the other moderators has reminded me that Project Avalon is about people working together, but is not primarily about Web Development ... other more technical forums are more focused on that broad and complex subject area. However, it is not at all clear to me yet just how these various strengths and limitations in the focus of this Avalon forum effect this effort to study Web Development ... we shall see.

spacejack
9th September 2015, 00:46
One of the other moderators has reminded me that Project Avalon is about people working together, but is not primarily about Web Development ... other more technical forums are more focused on that broad and complex subject area. However, it is not at all clear to me yet just how these various strengths and limitations in the focus of this Avalon forum effect this effort to study Web Development ... we shall see.

Ok great, Ill get things start in a regular thread in Internet.

Hopefully these mini courses will empower users to do more online for themselves and others.

spacejack
9th September 2015, 03:45
Anyone interested in the course can find it here:
http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?85122-Web-Development-101-HTMLCourse-I

Daozen
9th September 2015, 10:47

There's a lot of interest so I think it'll work. One hope could be that the more relaxed atmosphere in Avalon, and the focus on 'changing the world' may make for a better learning experience. We are currently coding a big microfinance portal, so this course couldn't have come at a better time for me. Sometimes tech forums can be intimidating for tech-luddites like myself.

Thanks a lot Spacejack.

KizzyServan
11th May 2016, 06:59
W3School is an online tutorial for learning HTML, CSS and PHP.
These are not much difficult languages to learn. Wordpress is an online software for creating websites and hosting them easily and effectively at fair prices.