PDA

View Full Version : Woman intentionally blinds herself to fulfill lifelong dream

chancy
2nd October 2015, 20:48
Hello Everyone: It appears that life just isn't fair! A woman intentionally goes blind....what would she tell people who are blind that chose not to be blind that would give anything to see their spouse or kids again.
chancy

Link:
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/a-woman-with-a-rare-psychological-condition-182334160.html

Article:
Jewel Shuping has been living with a rare condition
By Elianna Lev | Daily Buzz – 2 hours 15 minutes ago October 2 - 2015

A woman with a rare psychological condition achieved her lifelong dream of being blind by intentionally damaging her eye sight.

Jewel Shuping has Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID), a condition that makes able-bodied people believe they are supposed to be disabled. The 30-year-old from North Carolina has felt that she was meant to be blind ever since she was a child. As a teen she took on traits normally associated with being blind, like walking with a cane and reading in braille.

Shuping claims that when she was 21, she found a psychologist who agreed to pour drain cleaner into her eyes. She waited half an hour to go to the hospital, so that the damage would already be done.

“It hurt, let me tell you. My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin,” Shuping told People. “All I could think was, ‘I am going blind, it is going to be okay.'”

She agreed not to name the psychologist. The decision to go blind has put a strain on her family. Shuping’s mother and sister no longer talk to her, after they learned that her blindness was not caused by an accident.

Shuping intends to both raise public awareness about BIID and get involved in the blind community, helping people live independently.

"I went blind on purpose, but I don’t feel it was a choice,” she told the magazine.

Nasu
3rd October 2015, 03:52
Aww man, self expression to the max.. I sympathise with this poor woman, like ms Jenner, it must be hard being something you feel is wrong, I can't imagine. People do go to incredible lengths to change themselves, this is just along the same lines of thinking I suppose.. Wow.. I hope it makes her happy... N

awakeningmom
3rd October 2015, 03:54
Seriously? Someone please throw that psychologist in jail!

Jhonie
3rd October 2015, 03:58
She was probably blind in her most recent incarnation.

Selkie
3rd October 2015, 14:06
Seriously? Someone please throw that psychologist in jail!

I think she did it herself.

Shuping intends to both raise public awareness about BIID and get involved in the blind community, helping people live independently.

What a narcissistic git.

jake gittes
3rd October 2015, 23:03
It appears that life just isn't fair! A woman intentionally goes blind....what would she tell people who are blind that chose not to be blind that would give anything to see their spouse or kids again.
chancy

Exactly!

raise public awareness about BIID and get involved in the blind community, helping people live independently

If changing shrinks would not solve her problem, why not go to an eye surgeon and attempt an eye transplant to an actual blind person? With lasers and technology, all kinds of medical miracles are more possible than ever. I bet dollars to donuts a blind person would rather have sight than "help" from some misguided person who intentionally destroyed her own gift of sight.

Fellow Aspirant
4th October 2015, 03:08
Shocking, and shockingly common, this affliction. I heard a piece about this on CBC radio last summer. The man at the centre of the story was convinced that he would never be satisfied as a human being until he had lost the use of his legs. This obsession had kicked in (pardon the pun) at the age of 8 or 9, when he saw his uncle in a wheelchair, and gradually took over most of his waking thoughts. As an adult he made a few serious attempts to 'kill' his legs, things like dropping large blocks of concrete onto them, but finally, with a psychiatrist's help, he managed to find some relief by taking to a wheelchair and "imagining" that he was crippled. It wasn't perfect, of course, but he felt a lessening of his strange and consuming need. Sad story, indeed.

Namaste

Brian

kirolak
4th October 2015, 06:02
OMD what a sad, terrible affliction - not the blindness, but the needing to lose her sight. Perhaps she felt (unconsciously) that physical sight impeded her spiritual or astral vision; perhaps some other sense will develop to take the place of the one she threw away. Or maybe she felt unworthy of being able to see :( It's hard not to be horrified, though!

Pam
4th October 2015, 15:05
I suspect that the taxpayers are footing the bill for all her medical needs, housing and food. Should one who chooses to become disabled be financed by taxpayers?

On second thought, I guess you could also include, those that are disabled by smoking, drug and alcohol abuse, sedentary life styles and obesity that is caused by overeating, because, indirectly and perhaps subconsciously , they are also choosing disability or at least increasing the odds.