PDA

View Full Version : Donation to Avalon

Gaia
3rd October 2015, 23:36
As captain of the Titanic, I say, "Stay the course". Glacial waters produce beautiful displays of giant floating ice to maneuver around in the dark!

Yes! Enjoy those high prices and the lost of pride, with our low dollar and train wrecked Conservative economy in Canada.

According to Paypal tonight huh...!!!

1 Dollar canadian = 0.738162 Dollars US.

It's because, I rarely purchase in American dollars?!? Never realize our Canadian situation was so dramatic since today...

Jean Chrétien once said that : It was good for our economy in late 90s...

Enough said about Canadian dollar!

Bill Ryan, I just sent you a small donation for the forum... :heart:

Think it's worth it! :bearhug:

I sincerly love this place :grouphug:

What about you guys? Did you make a donation to Avalon lately?

moekatz
4th October 2015, 00:29
Let's take a look in our sofa cushions, car seats, bottom of our purses, keep an eye on the sidewalk for the misc. coin, and get those donations going. Thanks Gaia for reminding me. This is a positive home for all of us.

GaelVictor
4th October 2015, 00:29

That is indeed a small donation!

Lost N Found
4th October 2015, 01:18
As captain of the Titanic, I say, "Stay the course". Glacial waters produce beautiful displays of giant floating ice to maneuver around in the dark!

Yes! Enjoy those high prices and the lost of pride, with our low dollar and train wrecked Conservative economy in Canada.

According to Paypal tonight huh...!!!

It's because, I rarely purchase in American dollars?!? Never realize our Canadian situation was so dramatic since today...

Jean Chrétien once said that : It was good for our economy in late 90s...

Enough said about Canadian dollar!

Think it's worth it! :bearhug:

I sincerly love this place :grouphug:

What about you guys? Did you make a donation to Avalon lately?

Yes, this is a very great place to come for news and love and intelligent conversation, even funny, silly thoughts and talk. A real family get together The music is totally great. Thanks Gaia. We all have to thank Bill and all of those that help.

Fellow Aspirant
4th October 2015, 01:49
Yeah, it really hurts when so much of a donation gets sucked up into the "machine" (almost 25% for we poor Canucks!)

Just make sure that you're using the right path to Avalon for your donation. The process has changed a little, recently, and Bill may not be able to 'cash' your contribution easily. Follow Bill's directions in his most recent post about which buttons to click on for sending money.

Brian

RunningDeer
4th October 2015, 03:41
Yeah, it really hurts when so much of a donation gets sucked up into the "machine" (almost 25% for we poor Canucks!)

Just make sure that you're using the right path to Avalon for your donation. The process has changed a little, recently, and Bill may not be able to 'cash' your contribution easily. Follow Bill's directions in his most recent post about which buttons to click on for sending money.

Brian

FYI: All the buttons are updated so our donations go directly to only Bill.

:wave: to Brian.

Fellow Aspirant
4th October 2015, 05:48

Brian

FYI: All the buttons are updated so our donations go directly to only Bill.

:wave: to Brian.

Hi Back, Running Deer! :sun:

I always love your posts! :heart:

Namaste,

Brian

Gaia
4th October 2015, 08:26

Brian

''Yeah, it really hurts when so much of a donation gets sucked up into the "machine" (almost 25% for we poor Canucks!)''

Bit there is no recession in Québec area. Families are expected to pay more to put food on their plates during the winter coming season...

I can't believe that the current governement and the Bank of Canada are allowing the loonie to tank. Oct. 19th is coming... Hope to see a change in leadership...

mgray
4th October 2015, 10:41
Thanks for the reminder.

Bill Ryan
4th October 2015, 15:17
As captain of the Titanic

Well, I hope this is a different Titanic, that stays afloat for many years!! :bigsmile:

Thank you so much for this thread, which came as a total surprise. Yes, donations make a big difference. My Scottish moderator friends Billy and Murray will confirm that there's a Scottish saying:

Mony a mickle maks a muckle.
Now, that won't translate into French! :) But what it means is that lots of little things combine to make up a big thing. Many little things add up to a lot.

And so it is with donations. Every $5 counts (whether it's in USD, or CAD, or any other currency in the world). As most people know, the total cost of running Avalon is over $4,200 a year, and all that comes from donations. I never know for sure whether I can pay the bill every month, but so far I've never missed a payment.

I do need to point out this thread:

Project Avalon has a new PayPal account (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?83489-Project-Avalon-has-a-new-PayPal-account)

The PayPal address changed to donation@projectavalon.net back in June. Anything inadvertently sent to the old account will be automatically returned by PayPal after 30 days.

http://projectavalon.net/PayPal_Project_Avalon_screenshot.gif

That's just a screenshot, and the orange buttons don't work; but they will if you go to this page, which is where all the DONATE buttons on the forum link to:

http://projectavalon.net/donation.html

Thank you, Gaia (and thank you, everyone! Gaia stimulated a wonderful response from many of you, which was deeply appreciated). This forum is a very important place, and it's all of you who help keep it active and online all the time. I could not possibly do this by myself.

:sun:

Gaia
4th October 2015, 16:16
I trust that this time the money will go to the right address.:blushing: Please let me know when you receive it. Question: Why Paypal did the transaction?

Nom :
support@projectavalon.net (le destinataire de ce paiement est Non inscrit)
Adresse de courriel :
support@projectavalon.net

Last night I used this on the left side of the Home page and pushed the button:

If you find this platform useful or you feel inspired by the information being shared here please support this project by sending a donation.

Send a Donation

Thank You!

Typical of Mercury retrograde...

Lionhawk
4th October 2015, 16:29
How about having a "MONEY BOMB" event for a certain weekend? Or week?

Bill Ryan
4th October 2015, 17:03
I trust that this time the money will go to the right address.:blushing: Please let me know when you receive it.

It has, and I have! :heart:

Question: Why Paypal did the transaction?

Actually, they didn't. It was just pending (like in a kind of 'limbo'). PayPal 'held' the money, but it never went anywhere, because that old PayPal account doesn't exist any more.

Gaia
4th October 2015, 17:07
:thumbsup: Fia... Merci!

Bill Ryan
4th October 2015, 17:11
How about having a "MONEY BOMB" event for a certain weekend? Or week?

Hi there, and thank you — it's an idea that did cross my mind (especially after Alex Jones' recent successful 'money bomb' event, which I tuned into for part of, with some interest).

I'm not sure what the format would be. Alex was on air for 24 hours, with all his staff doing pieces, and so it was quite a media event in the end. We have very limited resources to do the same kind of thing, of course, although maybe I could put the :coffee: pot on (and a large pile of logs on the fire!) and use the Avalon Audio (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?85336-Avalon-Audio-Conferences-a-new-idea-for-members--rebooted-) platform — which now works well — to sit and talk to everyone for a whole day and night.

I could actually do that... it might be fun. :Party:

Paul
4th October 2015, 17:34
I'm not sure what the format would be. Alex was on air for 24 hours, with all his staff doing pieces, and so it was quite a media event in the end. We have very limited resources to do the same kind of thing, of course, although maybe I could put the :coffee: pot on (and a large pile of logs on the fire!) and use the Avalon Audio (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?85336-Avalon-Audio-Conferences-a-new-idea-for-members--rebooted-) platform — which now works well — to sit and talk to everyone for a whole day and night.

If you do that, make sure you have it set up to not require restarting every 40 minutes, and make sure that the techie supporting you actually has the Record button pushed this time :).

Bill Ryan
4th October 2015, 17:42

If you do that, make sure you have it set up to not require restarting every 40 minutes, and make sure that the techie supporting you actually has the Record button pushed this time :).

Right. :bigsmile:

For something like this, we'd go fully operational (and we easily could, even now). The cost is minimal for groups of 25 or less at a time, which are optimum numbers anyway. I could also do the hosting myself (this is the 'techie' who's managing the small amount of backstage button-pushing) if we were doing a special-event marathon... and, just maybe, the odd special guest could pop in from time to time. Interesting to think about, and I'd certainly be game.

Paul
4th October 2015, 17:50
Right. :bigsmile:

For something like this, we'd go fully operational (and we easily could, even now). The cost is minimal for groups of 25 or less at a time, which are optimum numbers anyway.
As of 4 days ago, the allowed group size was increased to 50, for the software you're using.

araucaria
4th October 2015, 18:48
Billy and Murray will confirm that there's a Scottish saying:

Mony a mickle maks a muckle.
Now, that won't translate into French! :) But what it means is that lots of little things combine to make up a big thing. Many little things add up to a lot.

Indeed they do, even in French: Les petits ruisseaux font les grandes rivières - Un sou est un sou - Il n'y a pas de petites économies.
Take your pick :)

Lionhawk
4th October 2015, 19:00
24 hour money bonfire

Gaia
5th October 2015, 11:48
To make amends, I've been here nearly for 5 years, and I never paid a dollar to the forum. It was time to do something about it... At least, I feel that I am honest with myself. After all its only the cost of a few coffee at Starbucks :)

Gaia
5th October 2015, 11:54
24 hour money bonfire

What is a bonfire? I Google it but...

Hervé
5th October 2015, 12:17
24 hour money bonfire

Bonfire (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonfire), AKA Bonefire, AKA "Feu de Joie (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feu_de_joie)."

Bill Ryan
5th October 2015, 12:46
24 hour money bonfire

It's a strange term! I think lionhawk made it up. :bigsmile:

He was thinking of his very wonderful Put Another Log On The Fire (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?84653-Put-Another-Log-On-The-Fire) thread, which is a reference to a bunch of friends sitting round a fire telling stories and enjoying each others' company.

But "money bomb" is a strange term, as well. I had to go look it up:

http://politicaldictionary.com/words/money-bomb
An intense grassroots online fundraising effort over a brief fixed time period to support a candidate for election. The term was first applied to a fundraising effort on behalf of the 2008 presidential campaign of Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) which the San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/elections/ci_8025814?nclick_check=1) described at the time as “a one-day fundraising frenzy”.I do think it's a good idea. I've always been averse to asking for money, or doing anything commercial of any kind. But this could be co-created as a kind of giant party, and maybe we really could do it.

It'd make a difference to Avalon's security. Since the forum was founded a little over seven years ago, the total costs must have been $20,000 or so, and it all adds up. But as long as Paul doesn't ask for a pay rise (his salary is currently $0 plus benefits), we'll find a way to make it through. :)

araucaria
5th October 2015, 13:29
To make amends, I've been here nearly for 5 years, and I never paid a dollar to the forum. It was time to do something about it... At least, I feel that I am honest with myself. After all its only the cost of a few coffee at Starbucks :)
I see it this way. The debt-based financial system needs to make way for a credit-based one. This would lead to an interesting reversal of many situations that we need not go into here. For example, instead of leaving money and property when you die, often to children who are past needing it, you would inherit assets at birth. Instead of borrowing money to buy a house, you would borrow a house in order to buy (negative) money. Remember, this is credit-based money, which is not for you to spend, but for the community that lent you the house.

If this idea seems hard to get your head round, the fact is that it is already operating at the level of writing. Until recently, most writers were paid to have their books published. Many of the best, however, earned next to nothing, and sometimes even had to finance the enterprise out of their own pocket. Now that writing has become much more democratic with the advent of the Internet, paid writers are gradually becoming a thing of the past, while bloggers and others are actually paying for the privilege of running a website.

If you doubt that this is the way forward, just think what it means for the current global financial situation. It would mean that instead of virtually the entire population owing even more than has been handed over to the bankster elite, that debt would be reversed, with the entire loot reverting to the community. We are not talking simply about assets disclosure, we are talking about redistribution on revolutionary lines. Of course, the banksters won’t like it, until they understand there is more than enough for everyone.

Right now, the least we can do in working towards that goal is to accept our role in this process by spending our old money as if it were the new kind we want to introduce. This is a no-brainer: a penny is a penny, if that is all you can afford; but more than that, it is money well spent because it shows where you stand on this crucial issue.

Gaia
5th October 2015, 13:37
I do stand on this Araucaria! Merci

Lionhawk
5th October 2015, 14:56
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonfire

I could say it with a little twist in the french translation that it means, "GOODFIRE." hahahahaha

:sun:

simbad24
5th October 2015, 16:55
the one thing that i hate about donations are that there is not an amount collected update and use. i think it is a business model for some activities but i would like to see also the amounts needed and the amounts collected so that you know how much to put there. we need money for this and this. the amount is this and for each individual the donation should be x.

Lionhawk
5th October 2015, 17:06
I would hate to see any donation campaign turned into a telephone bill. You would change the meaning of "DONATION" by inserting "X" into the equation. It would no longer be a donation but some other old program term. Let us not forget that many of us are already searching under the sofa cushions to contribute. We did that this morning and despite our medical bills we are going to donate something. It is what we can donate, not what we "have to donate."

simbad24
5th October 2015, 17:27
it's a donation. i was thinking of what is called a recommended amount. of course donations are not mandatory. they are donations. and a lower then recommended amount should be ok.

Gaia
5th October 2015, 18:05
I would hate to see any donation campaign turned into a telephone bill. You would change the meaning of "DONATION" by inserting "X" into the equation. It would no longer be a donation but some other old program term. Let us not forget that many of us are already searching under the sofa cushions to contribute. We did that this morning and despite our medical bills we are going to donate something. It is what we can donate, not what we "have to donate."

I always made a difference between words ''contribution'' and donation''

I think contribution implies people who contribute are expecting for return while people donate with :heart: for nothing and fully voluntary.

I like the words''' ''Support Members'' or ''Support Forum'' Better than ''Donate'' with a button. Imo

RunningDeer
5th October 2015, 18:16
I don’t see it as a donation. I see it as a way to express my appreciation and thanks for a unique, supportive, learning environment.

How do I put a price on priceless? I follow my heart. Tweak a few things here and there in the budget. Which by comparison is small each month for what amounts to potentially a university degree of knowledge across the threads of Avalon. (The kind you can’t even get at a university.)

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/WhiteCrowBlackDeer/donation_zps6pcdugbt.png

RunningDeer ♡

Gaia
5th October 2015, 18:31
'' I never know for sure whether I can pay the bill every month, but so far I've never missed a payment. ''

You break my heart when I was reading this post yesterday! I do not understand why there is so much shyness about request funding for the forum. Imo, the donation button is so discreet that you end up getting used to it and passes his way. That's exacly what I've done over the years! Being proactive is the key! Maybe a larger banner. I think we opended up a think thank that's great!

meeradas
5th October 2015, 18:38
:bowl: just 'took care' of ~ 2.5% of yearly server cost. :bowl:

Bill Ryan
5th October 2015, 18:41
:bowl: just 'took care' of ~ 2.5% of yearly server cost. :bowl:

OMG! Thank you so VERY much. :heart:

meeradas
5th October 2015, 18:50
OMG! Thank you so VERY much. :heart:

Just a drop... looking out for the ripple effect! - It doesn't take many to keep this running...

You're very welcome.

Bill Ryan
5th October 2015, 19:22
I like the words''' ''Support Members'' or ''Support Forum'' Better than ''Donate'' with a button. Imo

You know, that's a good idea. Like this...

http://projectavalon.net/Support_Project_Avalon_button.gif

http://projectavalon.net/Recurring_Support_for_Project_Avalon_button.gif

Gaia
5th October 2015, 19:42
It is already more inviting and reassuring. Because we are a community here. With the current button, I had the impression to give to the founder :sun:. I say it without prejudice. I know that you understands and you got a open mind!
Words and meaning are so important on the Web.... That's why I do think that you got to be honest and let us all know if it's difficult and use transparency we are here to help we are a whole family. :bearhug:

On dit au Québec: Pas de bras, pas de chocolat!:heart:

Support the Community could be great too! More compelling,overpowering! Imo because that is what we are...

RunningDeer
5th October 2015, 20:39

The button doesn’t need to be bigger on the donation page. You want to REMIND them of the page. Something eye catching on the mast but not obnoxiously distracting.

Note: tweaks in timing, size, shape, wording and color(s) are possible.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/WhiteCrowBlackDeer/Computer_Tips/Support_button_zpsi6rbnefv.gif

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/WhiteCrowBlackDeer/Computer_Tips/paypal_zpsiscqjzmk.gif

Bill Ryan
5th October 2015, 20:43

The button doesn’t need to be bigger on the donation page. You want to REMIND them of the page. Something eye catching on the mast but not obnoxiously distracting.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/WhiteCrowBlackDeer/Computer_Tips/Support_button_zpsi6rbnefv.gif

Yes. Those weren't actual size! I made the amendments on the page, here.

RunningDeer
5th October 2015, 20:51

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/WhiteCrowBlackDeer/Computer_Tips/paypal_zpsiscqjzmk.gif

:bump: I added a more traditional look.

Gaia
5th October 2015, 22:20

Yes. Those weren't actual size! I made the amendments on the page, here.

I like that Bill :)

Callista
6th October 2015, 06:06
If all members pledged $1 per month there would be ample to run the website and also give Bill a bit of cash to live on. :cash: Goodness knows he needs some support after the experiences he has had regarding theft - surely we can each afford to gift our brother just one dollar a month?

Please think about this one...:thank_you2:

much love

Callista

quiltinggrandma
6th October 2015, 20:10
well,now i'm worried if you got my donation,,,i hope so

Bill Ryan
6th October 2015, 22:00
well,now i'm worried if you got my donation,,,i hope so

Yes, absolutely! Thank you so much. :heart:

If you sent it to donation@projectavalon.net, or used this page

...it'll get there, for sure.

drneglector
9th February 2016, 10:55
Hi everybody…

I made a donation to Avalon about a month ago.

A month later (yesterday) I received a mail from PayPal telling me that my payment has returned to my account!

The reason for this, PayPal said, was: support@projectavalon.net has not registered for a PayPal account OR has not completely finished the registration process.

Is this problem sorted out or is it just me who has experienced this?
Is there another way to donate?

Bill Ryan
9th February 2016, 11:43
Hi everybody…

I made a donation to Avalon about a month ago.

A month later (yesterday) I received a mail from PayPal telling me that my payment has returned to my account!

The reason for this, PayPal said, was: support@projectavalon.net has not registered for a PayPal account OR has not completely finished the registration process.

Is this problem sorted out or is it just me who has experienced this?
Is there another way to donate?

Thank you so much for your generosity! :star:

Yes, in answer to your question — that's the old PayPal address, that was compromised and was de-activated over 6 months ago. There's a thread about that, here:

Project Avalon has a new PayPal account (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?83489-Project-Avalon-has-a-new-PayPal-account)

To make a donation, just click on this button, at the top right of any page.

http://projectavalon.net/FAQ_images/How_to_Donate.gif

That leads to this page, here: http://projectavalon.net/donate — where the new PayPal address is given (that's donation@projectavalon.net).

Thank you again! I really do appreciate your kindness. It really matters.