PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Abraham Hicks is a cult?

AMystic3434
10th October 2015, 07:29
I don't trust it one bit seems like a cult to me. They are a new age cult brainwashing people. Beware.

Marikins
10th October 2015, 13:38
I don't think they are a cult unless they have changed recently. Their supporting staff is somewhat insular as common with any spiritual teacher. Maybe it's the repetition that sounds brainless? When students are trying to change their way of thinking they use certain phrasing because words modify thought. I think their philosophy is fairly sound - your vibration and thoughts create your reality. The degree of your enthusiasm fires up the reality. There is no attempt to get large amounts of money from students, no suggestion to leave your family or lifestyle, no taking away of your individuality or free will. Not sure why you are alarmed.

Hazelfern
10th October 2015, 14:24
Esther is a really good comedic actress. I bought the schtick a few years ago.

peterpam
10th October 2015, 16:06
I don't trust it one bit seems like a cult to me. They are a new age cult brainwashing people. Beware.

I can't speak specifically for Abraham Hicks, but I will speak for spiritual guru's in general. They only become cults if people become followers and are willing to put the guru on a pedestal. Of course, at that point the guru has to play his part and accept the role. In most cults they will not only accept the role, they will exploit it. It is the followers desperation for a savior that allows anyone to become a revered leader and allows for a cult to be created. On their own, anyone with spiritual wisdom can not make a cult, at the end of the day.

It is my belief, that anyone with true spiritual insight will recognize that the spiritual power and insight that they have is really not due to anything special about them personally, it is just that they have been allowed access to it, thus, they will avoid adoration and worship at all costs.

Shannon
10th October 2015, 16:19
http://abrahamhicksfraud.blogspot.com/p/experiences.html?m=1

I just found out about this woman, so I don't have an opinion but I found this blog while researching and googling it. This blogger seems very angry at the group and following.

DeDukshyn
10th October 2015, 18:54
cult.
[kəlt]
NOUN
1.a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object:

Does Abraham Hicks demand veneration and devotion? Monies or support of any kind? It is just some written philosophies, most of which is extremely sound to the awakened mind. The source is of no matter.

I think Christianity, and all modern religions are cults far, far more than some old lady writing pleasant messages from the unknown ... Even look at the republican (conservative) and democrat (liberal) cults, they demand loyalty, money and trust without it being earned, and we all happily oblige ... yet here we are trying to condemn some old lady for writing a few books that no one has to read, no one has to buy, etc. Where's our perspective on what a "cult" is?

regnak
10th October 2015, 20:22
Abraham Hicks is a complex answer because I truly believe we create our own experiences but positive believe for cancer our any illness our problem is a no. You have to face your problems and overcome them mentally emotionally and physically they manifest both physical and emotionally and it makes a difference to a person .

If your physically ill see a doctor if your seriously ill go see a qigong doctor and a herbalist . if you have mental issues see a therapist and talk though the solution. Wellness comes from within be well :bearhug:

OBwan
10th October 2015, 21:47
Abraham-Hicks teaches the Law of Attraction. The bible discusses the same teaching of “Ask and it is Given” two thousand years ago. Both of these teaching are belief based. You cannot mathematically prove the Law of Attraction, you can prove the Law of Gravity mathematically.

Cults have an aspect that they tell another what to believe. A belief is nothing more than a thought you continue to think. I think (believe) there is a Law of Attraction. Another believer would be Dr. Wayne Dyer. One of his book was titled, “When you believe it, you will see it”. Choosing to think any belief thought is a choice.

An example of Abraham-Hicks teaching that allows me to understand my thinking is the Emotional Scale.

The Emotional Guidance Scale

1. Joy/Appreciation/Empowered/Freedom/Love
2. Passion
3. Enthusiasm/Eagerness/Happiness
4. Positive Expectation/Belief
5. Optimism
6. Hopefulness
7. Contentment
8. Boredom
9. Pessimism
10. Frustration/Irritation/Impatience
11. Overwhelment
12. Disappointment
13. Doubt
14. Worry
15. Blame
16. Discouragement
17. Anger
18. Revenge
19. Hatred/Rage
20. Jealousy
21. Insecurity/Guilt/Unworthiness
22. Fear/Grief/Depression/Despair/Powerlessness

The daughter of a friend of mine was murdered. After nine years she was grieving the loss. I walked her through the NLP grief resolution process and this changed her life. A month later she indicated she was bored. I explained that she went from an emotional level of 22, to an 8. This allowed her to believe she could continue move up the scale. The scale allowed her to see the progress she made.

There are a number of people that follow the teaching of the Law of Attraction and conclude this is their truth. I am one of those people. There have been many things in my life that resulted from the idea that what you think about comes about most of the time.

• Do you have things come into your life that you think about?
• Have you made a conscious effort to think in a way that moves you up the emotional scale?
• Have manifestation occurred when you hit the highest level?

I am thankful for the teachers of the Law of Attraction. Abraham-Hick have changed my thinking. I now have more possibility thinking.

regnak
10th October 2015, 22:20
Abraham-Hicks teaches the Law of Attraction. The bible discusses the same teaching of “Ask and it is Given” two thousand years ago. Both of these teaching are belief based. You cannot mathematically prove the Law of Attraction, you can prove the Law of Gravity mathematically.

Cults have an aspect that they tell another what to believe. A belief is nothing more than a thought you continue to think. I think (believe) there is a Law of Attraction. Another believer would be Dr. Wayne Dyer. One of his book was titled, “When you believe it, you will see it”. Choosing to think any belief thought is a choice.

An example of Abraham-Hicks teaching that allows me to understand my thinking is the Emotional Scale.

The Emotional Guidance Scale

1. Joy/Appreciation/Empowered/Freedom/Love
2. Passion
3. Enthusiasm/Eagerness/Happiness
4. Positive Expectation/Belief
5. Optimism
6. Hopefulness
7. Contentment
8. Boredom
9. Pessimism
10. Frustration/Irritation/Impatience
11. Overwhelment
12. Disappointment
13. Doubt
14. Worry
15. Blame
16. Discouragement
17. Anger
18. Revenge
19. Hatred/Rage
20. Jealousy
21. Insecurity/Guilt/Unworthiness
22. Fear/Grief/Depression/Despair/Powerlessness

The daughter of a friend of mine was murdered. After nine years she was grieving the loss. I walked her through the NLP grief resolution process and this changed her life. A month later she indicated she was bored. I explained that she went from an emotional level of 22, to an 8. This allowed her to believe she could continue move up the scale. The scale allowed her to see the progress she made.

There are a number of people that follow the teaching of the Law of Attraction and conclude this is their truth. I am one of those people. There have been many things in my life that resulted from the idea that what you think about comes about most of the time.

• Do you things come into your life that you think about?
• Have you made a conscious error to think in a way that move you up the emotional scale?
• Have manifestation occurred when you hit the highest level?

I am thankful for the teachers of the Law of Attraction. Abraham-Hick have changed my thinking. I now have more possibility thinking.

interesting answer well taught put together :neo:

regnak
10th October 2015, 22:23
OBwan Abraham-Hicks husband died of cancer he was sick for a while I think she claimed a spider bit if it does not work for her will it work for anyone else

DeDukshyn
10th October 2015, 22:49
OBwan Abraham-Hicks husband died of cancer he was sick for a while I think she claimed a spider bit if it does not work for her will it work for anyone else

She claimed that he wouldn't die because he's her husband?! I'm a little surprised by that, I didn't know ...

OBwan
11th October 2015, 00:29

For me, death comes down to a personal theory. Ron Mauer eloquently described his theory in with the following post.

We all (light team, dark team, and everything in between) are free will extensions of Prime Creator on Prime Creator's never ending journey of Self discovery.

The dark team needs the light team to evolve, and the light team needs the dark team to evolve.

Perhaps this experience can be accurately described as boot camp for consciousness.

In this reality we are free to claim our power or allow it to be taken away. Not all universes are that way, but this one is. Choose wisely.

Some of us have chosen more difficult lessons than others. Education by reading and hearing can be useful, but true learning is born only from experience. Many are here to touch the stove to find out if it is really hot, some are here for the thrill of the ride. Some are here to support freedom, well being, joy, love and truth or many other agendas, light or dark.

Just because someone else is on a different path does not mean he is on the wrong path.

Our challenge is to discover our power and not give it away, learn the power of our thoughts to create reality and pay attention to feelings (solar plexus) to guide our journey.

When we feel good our thoughts are more in alignment with Source, who loves all without exception, no matter the circumstance.

Life automatically brings things into experience that we do not want. When we know what we don't want, we automatically know what we do want. We can usually find a better feeling thought than an uncomfortable thought that pops into one's head. Keep reaching for the better feeling thought in small increments. One cannot go from despair and dis-empowerment all the way to joy and bliss in one step. Find something to appreciate or love. Better yet, go on a rampage of appreciation, write a list.

Be in the positive "feeling place" of already having what you want. Visit that virtual reality often.

Avoid thoughts similar to "I need it now.", "Where's my stuff?" and "It is not here yet." These thoughts create images that conflict with being in the "feeling place" of already having what you want. Imagination and emotions are the playground of co-creation. Have fun with it. Use the energies deliberately and wisely. Having fun with your virtual reality is very important.

If we criticize, complain or blame others we restrict or block the continuous flow of well being from Source. We get more of what we think about, whether it be positive or negative.

When we meditate and gently become aware of breath, mantra or candle, we reduce the time focused on negative thoughts. And that is good.

When creating our virtual reality, emotions are more important than words. Words may influence emotions, but emotions are what create. Be thankful for positive emotions for that is power to create positive experience. The converse is also true. Pay attention to the body and solar plexus, these are extremely valuable navigation tools.

Shouting "NO!" at something one does not want only brings the object of one's attention more of what is not wanted. Rearrange the thought. Change focus to what is wanted.

When listening to that still small voice within, does it say "Love is the only answer." ?

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?84725-My-theories.-And-yours&p=992037#post992037

regnak
11th October 2015, 19:59
Abraham-Hicks husband died of cancer

all I said was he was not cured from positive thinking if it does not work for her husband law of attraction will it work for you

CdnSirian
11th October 2015, 20:49

https://www.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php Great article explaining the cult mind control methods.

I listen to Abraham/Hicks periodically. I don't find any comparison to a real cult mindset.

DeDukshyn
11th October 2015, 21:17

all I said was he was not cured from positive thinking if it does not work for her husband law of attraction will it work for you

Do you know how well, if at all, Jerry actually applied the principles of "Abraham"? Were these principles there to "cure" him? Everything else you can possibly imagine also didn't cure him. God didn't cure him, elephant sneezes and blue roses also did not cure him.

I am not really understanding this ... is positive thinking supposed to make a person live forever? Did Abraham Hicks promise Jerry an eternal life? Because if not, why are we making judgements that assume this? I do know of a few groups that DO promise you eternal life if you pay them money and believe everything they say regardless of how contradicting and stupid it is ... its called "Christianity" - and other religions do the same ... these are cults.

I still don't understand how Jerry dying means "Abraham hicks" is a cult? Can you please enlighten us so that we can fully understand this?

A person cannot read a book and be changed. All the life changing "principles" from whatever sources that I have been able to apply were personal enormous tasks in reprogramming my subconscious so that my thoughts and actions actually changed completely, in order for me to receive any outcome.

I would say that any person who believes whether outright or by supporting the belief with other beliefs and judgements, that a person will "change" if they read a book without an additional whole lot of hard work applying the principles to test them, is foolish. It's a bit like buying a new Ikea bookshelf, reading the instructions, then getting pissed off its not automatically made after reading them and taking it back to the store, demanding a refund and calling the store a "cult". And let's be clear, "thinking positive" isn't even a principle ... But the use of that term likely indicates a lack of understanding in the principles that can help change someone's life, if they apply a ton of hard work in implementing those principles.

regnak
11th October 2015, 21:25
Abraham hicks husband died of cancer

law of attraction did not save him ?
positive thinking did not save him ?

from watching her teachings and reading her books staying positive about a situation improves the problem ( I spent about 1000 euro buying's her books years ago )

DeDukshyn
11th October 2015, 21:32

from watching her teachings and reading her books staying positive about a situation improves the problem ( I spent about 1000 euro buying's her books years ago )

Again, was positive thinking supposed to "save" him and give him eternal life? Was it claimed anywhere by Abraham that this would be the case? You didn't explain anything ...

Selkie
11th October 2015, 22:42

It sure looks like one to me, especially in light of this,

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?85909-Do-you-think-Abraham-Hicks-is-a-cult&p=1008417&viewfull=1#post1008417

...They also teach that if your family or friends don't believe or understand to separate yourself, your past doesn't matter, etc.

(my emphasis)

The quote above ^^^ is a huge red flag.

Here is another one,

When you are in the cult society is divided into abers and non-abers (followers and non-followers)

(my emphasis)

Shannon
11th October 2015, 23:22

It sure looks like one to me, especially in light of this,

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?85909-Do-you-think-Abraham-Hicks-is-a-cult&p=1008417&viewfull=1#post1008417

...They also teach that if your family or friends don't believe or understand to separate yourself, your past doesn't matter, etc.

(my emphasis)

The quote above ^^^ is a huge red flag.

Here is another one,

When you are in the cult society is divided into abers and non-abers (followers and non-followers)

(my emphasis)

Yeps...

I'm all for anyone or any group promoting positivity, but the support stops once people become isolated and narrow minded....

Which doesn't mean the woman who runs this group(?), program(?), is at fault...there seems to be followers who twist and turn the message into a control mechanism and from there they use and abuse those who are weakest.

Selkie
12th October 2015, 01:22
...Which doesn't mean the woman who runs this group(?), program(?), is at fault...there seems to be followers who twist and turn the message into a control mechanism and from there they use and abuse those who are weakest.

(my emphasis)

No, that's not how it is in a cult. In a cult, everything flows from the leader(s). If it didn't, it wouldn't be a cult, because one of the defining characteristics of a cult is charismatic leadership. Leaders abuse followers, and followers abuse other followers at the behest of the leaders, usually through indirect directives issued by the leader(s).

Meggings
12th October 2015, 16:49
The True Self does not judge. When you can see whoever is before you as an aspect of the Creator manifested in form, you are understanding things from within your own awareness of yourself as the True Self. What we judge, we fear; and what we fear, we go into agreement with on an energetic level; and then that becomes our reality. What we bless, or see in its true Divine Nature, blesses us in return.

The True Self does not blame. You cannot be a master and a victim at the same time. Move out of victimhood into an awareness that all situations are here to teach us the truth of who we really are – Divine Beings and Co-creators with God Almighty . To develop our own awareness of our divinity and the divinity of all we see is a huge step forward.

The True Self cannot be harmed. It’s impossible. Only the small egoic self can be harmed. Our entire life is an opportunity to remember who we are as a Divine Being. The world is constructed by us to show us this.

Part of claiming yourself as a Divine being is to cease viewing things from one’s personality, and to become aware of the inherent perfection that exists in all things. This will transform our lives and the world we live in.

Meggings
13th October 2015, 15:03

This post comes about because of synchronicity. I had known about Neale Donald Walsch, but it was the revival of a thread called "Conversations With God" that REMINDED me about him. (So thanks to all who brought that thread up this past week.) Thus I fetched the Book One audiobook and have been delighted at the metaphysical discussions. I came across a short bit about death and dying, and was reminded of Jonsnow's comment above regarding Jerry Hicks dying of cancer.

Because of listening to the book, I internet searched and found it in a PDF. Here is the passage, with Neale's question asking about "positive thinking" prolonging life. I found it interesting, and so share it.

What about the person who is sick, but has the faith that will move mountains —and so thinks, says, and believes he’s going to get
better… only to die six weeks later. How does that square with all this positive thinking, affirmative action stuff?

"...very often what has happened in the case of the man who says he’s going
to live, believes he’s going to live, even prays to live: that at the soul level, he has
“changed his mind.” It is time now to drop the body to free the soul for other pursuits.
When the soul makes this decision, nothing the body does can change it. Nothing
the mind thinks can alter it. It is at the moment of death that we learn who, in the
body-mind-soul triumvirate, is running things.

"All your life you think you are your body. Some of the time you think you are your
mind. It is at the time of your death that you find out Who You Really Are.
Now there are also times when the body and the mind are just not listening to the
soul. This, too, creates the scenario you describe. The most difficult thing for people
to do is hear their own soul. (Notice that so few do.)

"Now it happens often that the soul makes a decision that it is time to leave the body.
The body and the mind—ever servants of the soul—hear this, and the process of
extrication begins. Yet the mind (ego) doesn’t want to accept. After all, this is the
end of its existence. So it instructs the body to resist death. This the body does
gladly, since it too does not want to die. The body and the mind (ego) receive great
encouragement, great praise for this from the outside world—the world of its
creation. So the strategy is confirmed.

"Now at this point everything depends on how badly the soul wants to leave. If there
is no great urgency here, the soul may say, “Alright, you win. I’ll stick around with
you a little longer.” But if the soul is very clear that staying does not serve its higher
agenda—that there is no further way it can evolve through this body—the soul is
going to leave, and nothing will stop it—nor should anything try to."

Shannon
13th October 2015, 16:52
...Which doesn't mean the woman who runs this group(?), program(?), is at fault...there seems to be followers who twist and turn the message into a control mechanism and from there they use and abuse those who are weakest.

(my emphasis)

No, that's not how it is in a cult. In a cult, everything flows from the leader(s). If it didn't, it wouldn't be a cult, because one of the defining characteristics of a cult is charismatic leadership. Leaders abuse followers, and followers abuse other followers at the behest of the leaders, usually through indirect directives issued by the leader(s).

Oh I agree, I just was commenting on what that one lady wrote about concerning her mother and the people who syphoned off the poor women's money. I know nothing about this group or its founders so I didn't want to directly call her out as a cult leader. :)

DeDukshyn
13th October 2015, 20:09

(my emphasis)

Oh I agree, I just was commenting on what that one lady wrote about concerning her mother and the people who syphoned off the poor women's money. I know nothing about this group or its founders so I didn't want to directly call her out as a cult leader. :)

In my opinion, it's almost laughable. Never have I seen "Abraham Hicks" trying to separate families or asking for money, mind you I am not an expert on the subject, but if you look at this with 1st hand info only and not just rely on claims of "cult" by disgruntled individuals, the picture may well be vastly different. (but it might not either)

Here's what the issue is in my opinion -- some people hate anything "positive" - that is just their nature, and these people tend to be loud. There are others who create false hopes and beliefs about something that was never intended to be taken in that manner or out of context (such as getting "eternal life" from positive thinking), and are thus felt let down when the discover the truth or if their view of the way things should be doesn't pan out for whatever reason. There are also those who like to read "feelgood" stuff because it makes them feel good while reading it, yet are completely powerless to actually change their lives (which takes hardwork and dedication to consistency - reading an instruction manual does not build your Ikea bookshelf)-- which is a requirement for any real lasting change in experience, and thus stay in their comfort zone and wonder why they "were failed".

All these instances have something in common: "victim mentality" -- to add support to your initial observation.

But again, first hand info is going to be infinitely more accurate for determining the value of something, than listening to others and not understanding their particular motivations for what they are saying (positive or negative).

In a sense the OP of this thread is actually trolling, no support for his / her position, just a blanket statement for us to respond to. Had he/she created a first hand analysis of why he/she applied the label cult, I would see huge value in that, as it is, there's nothing there ... for all I know the OP has as much info on the topic as Selkie does (No offence Selkie), and yet is not looking for any info either, just a declaration on a topic we have no idea how well known it is by the person making the declaration.

My 2 cents.

Paul
14th October 2015, 06:45

In a sense the OP of this thread is actually trolling, no support for his / her position, just a blanket statement for us to respond to. Had he/she created a first hand analysis of why he/she applied the label cult, I would see huge value in that, as it is, there's nothing there ...

I tend to agree, DeDukshyn :).

Rachel
14th October 2015, 07:13

Again, was positive thinking supposed to "save" him and give him eternal life? Was it claimed anywhere by Abraham that this would be the case? You didn't explain anything ...

Sorry to interrupt, I've seen an excellent video of Abraham speaking on this issue, specifically Jerry's death.

Here it is;

uV9pPIkRcy0

Meggings
14th October 2015, 18:31
Rachel, this is a masterful talk. I was delighted particularly by the segment from around 8.5 minutes to after 12 minutes. it relates totally to a discussion just had prior to coming to the computer and this thread. Synchronicities are so abundant that almost my head spins with the heart-bubbling connections. Thanks for this video.

This cartoon, again by synchronicity, came from a "declared awakened" friend in Japan. It relates to the second half of Rachel's video posted above, in the sense of focusing as a physical personality that we do in bodies.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10455974_709466852491584_8749416185993996616_n.jpg ?oh=37b92553d9beb6a28093bb3319e50167&oe=5693C9DB

regnak
15th October 2015, 12:06
great post Rachel 10/10