PDA

View Full Version : Stunning Sea Creature caught on oil rig cam

Sérénité
18th October 2015, 13:52
I came across this video on YouTube. It appears it was filmed on the 25/04/12 and posted up a year or so later.

It was caught by the camera of an oil rig. I'm not sure where, but I've read they predominantly habit waters around the Antarctic (yet have been spotted off the coast of the UK at depths of 829 to 1830 meters

Apparently it is a type of jellyfish called a 'Deepstaria enigmatica'

I've always thought jellyfish don't seem of this world...it's quite entrancing and ethereal to watch, I was quite awestruck so wanted to share :o

A stunning reminder that there is so much 'down there' we know so little about and that nature is a rather curious and astounding thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwGpZ38JHE

WhiteLove
18th October 2015, 14:18
And then it goes up to the surface and flies off into outer space. LOL :)

Sunny-side-up
18th October 2015, 14:58
Well Sérénité that was truly weird/freely!
Bellowing gut type membrane leading to the main organ, very strange?

Shannon
18th October 2015, 15:55
And then it goes up to the surface and flies off into outer space. LOL :)

Exactly! Lol!

At the beginning of the video it looked very similar to the aliens in The Abyss...
Good find!

Octavusprime
18th October 2015, 18:18
There is much under the sea that we have yet to discover. Looks like a huge sail being used to catch plankton. I'd be curious to know how it manipulates what looks like a very thin membrane with such "precision".

My initial thought is some type of jelly fish. However it moves like an octopus or cuttlefish with it's "shapeshifting". Very curious indeed.

Sérénité
18th October 2015, 19:04
It's quite breathtaking isn't it, I'd love to see it in person.

And these creatures have no brain or heart either. I thought that was only possible in parasitic organisms...yet you see it making apparently decided choices on movements and direction, not just simply stuck against a rock or going with the flow...so strange.

Selene
18th October 2015, 22:53
My dear hubby, who is an avid scuba diver, was fascinated by this footage. He observed that at the depth and pressure that the critter was habituated to - almost a mile deep - if you were to haul it to the surface or accidently catch it in a net it would probably simply explode into tiny pieces as it surfaced, so we'd never really see it....

He also thought that the critter was attracted to the camera's lights - that's why it may have returned: to inspect the light source emitting from such deep blackness at that depth.

Underwater cameras are an amazing tool.

Cheers,

Selene

Ellisa
19th October 2015, 04:40
It would be interesting that a creature like this (possibly without a real brain etc.) would be able to experience curiosity and seek a solution to an anomaly such as the lights, and yet that seems to be a credible suggestion. It is an amazing animal!

Sunny-side-up
19th October 2015, 14:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwGpZ38JHE
Hmm! I keep coming back and watching it over and over!

Very, Very interesting in deed :)

kirolak
19th October 2015, 19:50
Wonderful being, thanks for sharing! I suspect the brain is over-rated, I can't remember the exact details, but apparently when a certain mathematician in the UK died, it was discovered his brain was only the size of a walnut!

Inmortal719
19th October 2015, 20:22
It is amazing and I personally believe that there are thousand of mysteries lying in the unexplored deep waters, but it frightens me also! It might be the only land that humans have not conquered yet..