PDA

View Full Version : Discontinuation of Literacy

terragunn
20th October 2015, 10:29
When I put this together, I did not, at the time, understand the seriousness of what I was relaying.

jOZUfcrnk1o

ZooLife
20th October 2015, 11:04
That is some excellent reading......errrrrr......viewing! ;)

(But that is my view)

http://www.uniqueteachingresources.com/image-files/readingquotebookislikeagarden.jpg

sunpaw
21st October 2015, 13:12
For me books are like portals to different times, locations - with layers upon layers. Also memories - of reading it, loosing the books many years ago, finding them again, the blast of joy being already connected before I picked up 'the find'. Memories of heavy moving boxes carried with joy - because: my books, my treasure.

I read e-books, paper books and collect old books.
Just holding a book hundred years old is like magical. I have them on display - so when I enter the living room I am in awe :)
When reading a e-book - I enjoy tech. Sometimes I pause reading to 'count my blessing' - reading at night without fiddling with lamps, getting tired hands, getting distracted by paper structure..
Books and reading is more than words delivered and received.

I remember getting taken to the tiny library when I was a kid. Which were two cupboards (tiny village). I took home many books at once, read them sometimes twice or more often. The 'librarian' brought more books from the next town and my treasure was a book I 'saved' - they 'sorted' it out because and it smelled badly, was deformed, the cover was missing. I already had read it often - always sad to 'part' again. I loved it and it was mine. Had to defend it to my parents - they didn't see it as treasure or gift, rather trash. But I could keep it :)
It was about a zoo before and during WW2 and I lost it when we moved.
For 20 years I was searching for it, had no title, no author. One day at a yard sale I was walking toward boxes with books, having my eyes locked on one while walking and noticed I could explode with joy. When I picked it up I didn't know - it had the original cover. It was the book about the zoo.
It was amazing. I also found other books again, but with this one I already had a 'connection' walking toward..

I :heart: books and reading. and won't quit.

conk
21st October 2015, 17:03
For me books are like portals to different times, locations - with layers upon layers. Also memories - of reading it, loosing the books many years ago, finding them again, the blast of joy being already connected before I picked up 'the find'. Memories of heavy moving boxes carried with joy - because: my books, my treasure.

I read e-books, paper books and collect old books.
Just holding a book hundred years old is like magical. I have them on display - so when I enter the living room I am in awe :)
When reading a e-book - I enjoy tech. Sometimes I pause reading to 'count my blessing' - reading at night without fiddling with lamps, getting tired hands, getting distracted by paper structure..
Books and reading is more than words delivered and received.

I remember getting taken to the tiny library when I was a kid. Which were two cupboards (tiny village). I took home many books at once, read them sometimes twice or more often. The 'librarian' brought more books from the next town and my treasure was a book I 'saved' - they 'sorted' it out because and it smelled badly, was deformed, the cover was missing. I already had read it often - always sad to 'part' again. I loved it and it was mine. Had to defend it to my parents - they didn't see it as treasure or gift, rather trash. But I could keep it :)
It was about a zoo before and during WW2 and I lost it when we moved.
For 20 years I was searching for it, had no title, no author. One day at a yard sale I was walking toward boxes with books, having my eyes locked on one while walking and noticed I could explode with joy. When I picked it up I didn't know - it had the original cover. It was the book about the zoo.
It was amazing. I also found other books again, but with this one I already had a 'connection' walking toward..

I :heart: books and reading. and won't quit. I enjoyed reading that. ;)

My youngest girl was in a reading competition in middle school. She had won the two previous years. One day in the third year a boy told her that he was going to crush her this year, that girls couldn't possibly read as much or as well as boys. The points were tallied weekly, so everyone knew who was reading the most. My daughter was ever so slightly in the lead most of the way. Another young boy who liked her told her that the boy who was running a close second had devised a scheme to win. His friend was going to read books, take the test, then post using the other boys PIIN number. My girl doubled down and began to read about one book a day. On the day of graduation, when winners would be announced we watched the cheating boy. He seemed to be gloating and seemed poised to stand upon hearing his name called. "...and the winner of this year's Young Readers award is..." My daughter! The boy looked at his parents like this couldn't be happening.

Now for a little bragging (chest puffed out). My daughter stood and in a clear, loud voice said, "I've been fortunate to win this competition two years in a row. I feel I should pull my name from contention this year." She sat back down. The audience cheered and the teacher said that it was unusual, but they would honor her request. The cheating boy sheepishly walked up to get his award. I wanted to cry I was so proud of my young, but mature thinking child. :)

sunpaw
21st October 2015, 19:15
Wow conk.

Not only she read more (she already did actually read more, since he LET read) but she also stepped back.
Its not a competition to win when you love reading and the competition isn't even reading.

What a twist - great inspiration!!!