PDA

View Full Version : Tetanus Vaccinations

Billiam
30th November 2010, 10:38
I recently took a friend to hospital after she had fallen and badly sprained her ankle, there was no broken skin yet the doctors insisted she had a tetanus vaccination...I raised my concerns about this amongst friends and it had also happened recently to another friend who went to hospital with back pain... This took place in Karlsruhe Germany where hospitals are keen to overtreat patients to get as much money from the insurance companies as possible but the insistence on one kind of vaccination for no apparent reason started my alarm bells ringing... Has anybody else had or heard of a similar experience lately???

Shane_Original
30th November 2010, 11:27
A few months back I cut my hand on a broken glass and went to the hospital for stitches. (mostly to get the glass washed out tbh) When I went through reception I was asked about tetanus, and if my shots were, "up to date". They are/were, and so I told them they were.

I was asked twice more while awaiting the stitches, once by the attending Nurse, and again by the on call doctor. Both times I replied that I was indeed asked, and yes, I was ''up to date". The doctor said she would have to double check and left the room. The nurse returned to start giving me stitches, and the first thing she said when she entered with a chart was "yep, your tetanus shots are up to date." She gave me the stitches and asked that I await the doctor.

When the doctor returned she looked at my chart, which I could read, and which said I did not require a tetanus shot... She looked at the chart, then to me and said. "ok wait here while I go get the tetanus shot".

I left the hospital before she returned. They called insisting I needed the shot. So, I checked with my family doctor and he said there was no need for it. The entire experience was very "odd".

FTR: I had a tetanus shot within the year, also this cut was by glass.

witchy1
30th November 2010, 11:31
Hi Billiam, yes, the medical profession like them to be done every 5 - 10 years and if you puncture your skin, you'll be given another one! Tentnus is pretty awful, but yes you are right - for a sprain or back pain - they are definately over prescribing. Did you sign a consent form????????? You do have right of refusal. (Isnt that a human right????)...... I know Im dreaming
W

=[Post Update]=

I wonder when the last case of lockjaw every presented was

Billiam
30th November 2010, 11:34
It was not me personally, but they seem to be obsessed with giving tetanus shots at the moment regardless if you need them or not, that is what I found worrying...

witchy1
30th November 2010, 11:44
Not something Ive heard of......but Im out of the game nowaday!

daledo
30th November 2010, 13:55
A few months back I cut my hand on a broken glass and went to the hospital for stitches. (mostly to get the glass washed out tbh) When I went through reception I was asked about tetanus, and if my shots were, "up to date". They are/were, and so I told them they were.

Very simular experience but it was my foot... I stepped on some glass and had them dig it out. I had several people ask me about the Tetanus shot... and like you I kept telling them that I was up to date.

Orion.V
30th November 2010, 19:25
Had a bad experience once, accidentally stepped on on a big rusty nail pin that penetrated deep inside my foot. I had to take a Tetanus shot because of the blood poisoning.

MorningSong
30th November 2010, 20:09
Hmmmm.... I broke both my lower leg bones just above the ankle this past June, and here, in Italy, they didn't even mention a tetanus shot nor did they offer/give me one (yet, it would have been free as healthcare is public and emergency care is free) .... and I probably haven't had one in at least 20 years....:o

shadowstalker
30th November 2010, 20:16
This is just a theory....... but.
I have noticed the certain folks with certain genetic backgrounds seem to have acquired more shots then most.

I my self had given a quick check to some of my records soon after my daughter was born, there where some things that didn't make sense.

The day I was suppose to leave the hospital with my newborn daughter 19 yrs ago. I was told that I did not have a rubella shot, when in fact I did have it has a child, I had the blood work check just before getting married, they said I did have the shot, so in turn I was able to get married.

The day I was trying to go home with my new born daughter, there where 3 0r 4 cops and cps waiting for me, and two doctors telling me that if I didn't take the shot before leaving they would take my daughter. Yes my daughter had blood work as a newborn and they said they had to take it twice as her blood thickened to quickly to do testing the first time.

cense
30th November 2010, 23:50
(The following is under the asumption, that you are a German speaker)

If you would like to consider a critical look on Tetanus, you might check out one of Hans Tolzin's last works. Tolzin intended to write an article on Tetanus and now it's going to be a book on the subject. His work is already available in several issues of his printed magazin.

http://www.impf-report.de/zeitschrift/bisherige/impf-report064.htm
(German site)

Take care,
cense
(near Munich)

Czarek
1st December 2010, 02:20
The day I was trying to go home with my new born daughter, there where 3 0r 4 cops and cps waiting for me, and two doctors telling me that if I didn't take the shot before leaving they would take my daughter..

Can you please elaborate on this? I find that shocking! Thinking of how things are done in Canada, your kid gets not shots shortly after the birth. I think they want you to start them at 4 months. It's then up to you if you want them. They won't let you out of the hospital without a proper car seat. That's all.
I think the only think that's done is they take baby's blood sample supposedly for genetic testing...

shadowstalker
1st December 2010, 02:32
Can you please elaborate on this? I find that shocking! Thinking of how things are done in Canada, your kid gets not shots shortly after the birth. I think they want you to start them at 4 months. It's then up to you if you want them. They won't let you out of the hospital without a proper car seat. That's all.
I think the only think that's done is they take baby's blood sample supposedly for genetic testing...

Yes but the states are different, especially Back in 1991,
Shots for baby's started at 6 months at least back then.
Here in the states they claim its the law to have your kids get shots, or they can't go to public school.
I had no money, so how could I get private tutors.

BTW the last time I had a Tetanus shot was while I was pregnant with my daughter.