PDA

View Full Version : Mystical Experiences

Clear Light
18th November 2015, 22:34
HwYeTUYL2m4

Alan Watts (10 minutes) on Mystical Experiences and how the Founders of today's major "Religions" have experienced such things for themselves !

From 2:20 : The next aspect of the feeling is even more difficult to assimilate to our ordinary practical intelligence ... but a very overwhelming feeling that everything that happens, everything I have ever done, everything anybody else has ever done ... was part of a harmonious design, that there is no error at all.

From 5:41 : And it [the mystical experience] stands as, actually, the foundation for most of mankind's profound philosophical, mystical, metaphysical and religious ideas. Someone in other words to whom this sort of thing has happened ... and who can't restrain himself when it has happened and he has to get up and tell everybody about it ... and at last he becomes the Founder of a Religion.

From 7:15 : And so in the same way when somebody has an experience of this kind [Mystical] he just has to tell everybody about it ... because you see he sees everybody around him looking dreadfully serious, looking as if they have a problem, looking as if the act of living were extremely difficult. But from his standpoint he feels that they look funny, that they don't understand ... that there isn't any problem at all.

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

Oh, so in other words men such as Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed etc all experienced something deeply personal at first ... they had an Esoteric (Inner) experience whereas over the centuries what has come down to us, in general, are the Exoteric (Outer) FORMS of Religions, you see ?

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

Note : The Red Centre above represents, IMHO, Non-Duality :sun:

greybeard
18th November 2015, 22:51
Yes I think you have it in One, Clear Blue Skies.
All stems from and comes back to the Red Centre in your illustration Non-Duality

Love Chris

Loveisall21
19th November 2015, 00:57
Great post, Clear blue skies. Thank you. Allan Watts was a wonderful teacher. His time has come.

Clear Light
19th November 2015, 10:23
Yes I think you have it in One, Clear Blue Skies.
All stems from and comes back to the Red Centre in your illustration Non-Duality

Love Chris

Oh just for information, and for what it's worth : As my overarching long term interest is Buddhism, I'd just like to define (loosely) what 'Non-Dual' means in such a context ... and it's like this IMHO : The Inseparable Union of Compassion with Wisdom, the Ultimate Truth being Emptiness itself !

https://theyinfactor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/awakening.jpg