PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake thread

irishspirit
8th April 2010, 18:51
Hi Guy's,

with all the quakes that are currently ongoing, I thiught that maybe it will be a good idea if we had one thead set up for Earthquakes along. In this thread, maybe we could post all the latest news with regards to the earthquakes to save room on forum and keep other theads of importance on the front page.

This is only a suggestion, however any Quake news I get I will put onto here:

Current events map

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php?smp=&lang=eng

irishspirit
8th April 2010, 18:56
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/ci10589037.php

Beja, Cali, Mexico

Productivemind
11th April 2010, 17:00
I was just reading all of the information posted about recent earthquake activity, and was wondering if they could all be placed in a single thread, rather than separately, to help those of us who are interested find them easier and discuss them all in one place?

Gita
11th April 2010, 17:41
I think the main one is the Earth Update thread – most of the info seems to be on that one and Viking does a pretty good job of keeping it updated each day.:hippie:

Swami
11th April 2010, 17:43
I was just reading all of the information posted about recent earthquake activity, and was wondering if they could all be placed in a single thread, rather than separately, to help those of us who are interested find them easier and discuss them all in one place?

I think the software does these actions, without "human" intervention......

Productivemind
11th April 2010, 18:29
I was referring to all the ones posted by USGS, which seems to be very many in separate threads in the category of News and Updates. It makes it a little difficult searching through that category with so many earthquake threads to sift through. There are 40 individual threads started on the various earthquakes, I just thought to put them in one central thread with others like the earth update thread from Viking would make it easier. Thanks Gita and Swami for your help.

Productivemind
11th April 2010, 19:19
Hey there irishspirit! I posted a suggestion about that a little while ago before I found this post of yours. It does make it difficult to find other news when the main page is full of single entry earthquake info.

Richard
11th April 2010, 23:06
Productive mind lives up to the name ;) , ok as swami pointed out the threads started by USGS are automated. They all get posted in news & updates and up until recently the frequency of the posts weren't too bad but the Earth has been shaking more than normal lately.
The way the feed is set is like this; the feed only has magnitude 5 or higher, updates every 10 minutes and only pulls 1 report even if there are more. It stickys it in News & Updates for 6 hours. The fact that there were 5 stickied posts from usgs this morning and 2 were above 7 was somewhat alarming and further indicates a rise in these larger events.

So since they do seem to be increasing I can create a new thread dedicated to these reports so they can be viewed in one place. How does that sound?

Productivemind
11th April 2010, 23:57
Richard, that's fantastik! Thank you so much! I wasn't aware that they came on automatically. I am most definitely interested in the earthquakes and earth changes, which is one of the reasons I suggested finding them all in one location.

eaglespirit
15th March 2011, 19:39
...about an hour ago

Magnitude 5.0 - OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc00023lk.php