PDA

View Full Version : Why fasting bolsters brain power: By Mark Mattson at TEDx

Constance
15th December 2015, 03:39
Hello dear ones,

This short and sweet video by Mark Mattson, talks about the implications of fasting on the brain. There are many benefits to intermittent fasting but one of the most interesting benefits could potentially be the prevention of Alzheimers and Parkinsons disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

An excerpt from the video here https://youtu.be/4UkZAwKoCP8?t=7m46s

The take home message of this talk is that fasting is a challenge to your brain and your brain responds to that challenge of not having food by activation adaptive stress response pathways that help your brain cope with stress and resist disease

Happy watching!

with love :heart:
Breal

Ewan
15th December 2015, 17:38
And furthermore, if you're fasting, you can't make a noise when you (don't) eat. :sun:

Wide-Eyed
15th December 2015, 20:25
And furthermore, if you're fasting, you can't make a noise when you (don't) eat. :sun:

Ha- Ha! Funny Ewan herr-umpf, :clapping:

TargeT
15th December 2015, 20:57
is it still considered intermittent if you do it ever day?

Lately I've only been eating dinner, just one meal a day.... I get a bit hungry during the day but nothing unbearable, I usually just drink some water or eat a handful of nuts; been on that basic cycle for a little over a year now; it's helped keep my weight level & is a lot cheaper too ;)

When ever I am physically hurt I loose my appetite, some times for days; I wonder if this is some how tied into the same thing.

(got my cornia scratched & nose broken by a kind gentleman who thought it looked a bit out of place this weekend & have only eaten twice since Friday night)

Wide-Eyed
16th December 2015, 03:16

Lately I've only been eating dinner, just one meal a day.... I get a bit hungry during the day but nothing unbearable, I usually just drink some water or eat a handful of nuts; been on that basic cycle for a little over a year now; it's helped keep my weight level & is a lot cheaper too ;)

When ever I am physically hurt I loose my appetite, some times for days; I wonder if this is some how tied into the same thing.

(got my cornia scratched & nose broken by a kind gentleman who thought it looked a bit out of place this weekend & have only eaten twice since Friday night)

Mr. T : How many pork chops in a can did you drink to get the nose job? That fasting type will have an effect on brain function fo sho.:beer:

Constance
16th December 2015, 07:04

:sun: Mark mentions at the beginning of the video that even reducing the frequency of meals is considered to be intermittent fasting.

sigma6
23rd December 2015, 05:01
the human body, what a complex machine... so intelligent and adaptive... that was a mini course on biology...

...and I like how he explained that he doesn't have a profit motive or commercial pressure from third party "sponsors" - because he isn't receiving funds from pharmaceutical companies for a change... as in no commercial agenda... that is important for good science... fasting is good...