PDA

View Full Version : The Aussie Camino, And Other Pilgrimages

TelosianEmbrace
1st February 2016, 05:25
I was surfing the net looking for spiritual places to go worldwide, and came upon a few pilgrimages I hadn't heard of before so I thought I'd share.

We have all heard of the Camino de Santiago in Spain, with all it's permutations and combinations. We have, most of us, also heard of the trek up Croagh Patrick, Ireland, following in Saint Patrick's footsteps. The pilgrimage around Mount Kailash, a holy mountain in both Buddhist and Hindu faiths, is another beast entirely. Then there are a few more intriguing options.

There's the Inca Trail, or Camino Inca.

The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu might be one of the most breathtaking walks in the world. The 26-mile trail through the high Peruvian Andes winds through lush jungle and cloud forest and past the ruins of Inca settlements before ending at the Sun Gate entrance to the iconic ancient city.

The Incas built a series of trails through the rugged Andes mountains thousands of years ago to connect parts of the empire. But the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu has become an especially popular tourist trek in modern times. Though the high-altitude trek is a challenge, many people can complete the walk in four days.

Because the trail is so popular, the Peruvian government limits how many people can walk the trail every year. Only 500 permits are issued a day, and of those, only 200 for tourists, so if you go, make sure to book in advance. from www.weather.com

There's the Pilgrim's Way to Canterbury, England. I am of English parentage, and this one seems short enough and amenable enough, often traipsing over farmland and through wilderness (Or so I am led to believe from the website!) www.pilgrimswaycanterbury.org

This one I have never heard of, the Kumano Ancient Trail in Japan.

It would be hard not to feel a sense of spiritual reverence when making a journey on Japanís Kumano Kodo, or "Old Road," an ancient pilgrimage dotted by sacred Buddhist/Shinto temples and shrines. If you pause amidst the trailís peaceful cedar forests, you may be able to imagine the Japanese imperials and aristocrats who traveled the route thousands of years ago.

Winding its way through the Kii Mountains an hour south of Osaka, the Kumano Kodo is made up of seven trails that connect three grand shrines: Hongu Taisha, Hayatama Taisha and Nachi Taisha, according to CNN. Since the 6th century, people have traveled the 190-mile route as part of an important religious and purification rite through what is seen as sacred land.

Between towering waterfalls, deep forests, giant rocks and stunning views of the mountains, there are plenty of natural wonders for modern-day hikers to explore. But visitors who stop by the shrines will also get a pleasant dose of Japanese culture. The route is one of only two pilgrimages in the world registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site from www.weather.com

I am sure there are plenty of others, but I decided to narrow my search to my doorstep, Australia, and here is what I found, the Aussie Camino!

The Aussie Camino is a pilgrimage route running from Portland in Victoria to Penola in South Australia, inspired by the life and journeys of Australiaís Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop and her mentor Fr Julian Tenison Woods. Based on the traditions of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela, pilgrims receive passports, scallop shells and stay in the local towns along the way. Although the Aussie Camino is designed to be self-guided, groups of around 20 -30 depart at various times of the year. However those more adventurous are encouraged to go on their own with the assistance of a guidebook.

www.aussiecamino.org

Luke Mills walked this route with two friends in 2013 and it is taking on a life of it's own.

There! Has anyone been on these walks, particularly the lesser known ones?

mojo
1st February 2016, 07:28
I hope you find what you are searching for, and share with us...;)

TelosianEmbrace
1st February 2016, 09:44
I hope you find what you are searching for, and share with us...;)

Thanks, Mojo, for seeing in me what I can't see for myself. Yes, I guess I am searching for something meaningful in my life to do, to take me forward into a new phase. Something that defines me, that reimbues me with meaning, purpose, drive. A spiritual refill. In the past I gained this by visiting the Sai Baba ashram in India. But Sai Baba has passed. I seek enrichment and guidance. Something beyond the paradigm that has come upon me in the night and bound me to mundanity. I want my soul to fly again, to know the freedom of spontaneity. I want to learn and to grow, perhaps through experiences and people that are beyond my comfort zone. I want to feel the pulse of excitement again surge through my veins. I want to challenge and be challenged.

I want to live again!

Humanbean
1st February 2016, 12:08
Perfectly put! I know that feeling well, I'm pretty much there now; old patterns resurfacing and limiting me to the easy choice of talking about change but not taking any action to channge. Fortunately I discovered my pilgramage; it takes me on a flight to Peru and then into the jungle to drink Ayahuasca. It has the power to change everything by removing the crap and revealing what's already there. Last time I came back I took up standup comedy. The world's taking hold again, so I need another pilgramage. Funny, I saw your post as I was checking out the cost of flights. The first time I went, after 2 weeks in the jungle having my head cracked open, I headed for Machu Picchu, it was like going home. Good luck mate, you'll find it, Vern.

Alpha141
10th February 2016, 02:12
Hi There,

It sounds to me you as a male in this life are being activated. By Earth Mother now. Activated in the way that being male you don't have the sacred site within your skin suit / body temple like women (womb stargate) so you seek them external. As guys, we are as Andrew Bartzis puts in 'The Bees who pollinate the sacred womb chakras of Earth and bring the energy back to our regions or cross pollinate the energy to the other sites'.

That is the role for those males who have done alot of healing, mastered Energy Hygiene, perhaps reclaimed their sovereignty (Andrew has soul contract revocations to do that listed on my site page re him - http://www.servantoftruth.org/andrew-bartzis.html) but few have so far.

If you haven't heard of him i suggest having a listen (on my page is his radio show for call ins early Tuesday morning 6-8am EST):
57Zp_jYTdgM
(This streamread explores what i offer here re the Womb Chakras in an overview manor)

I suggest investigating the works of Freddy Silva re all the temples / Layline Grid links around the globe as these sites are the energy centres / and some womb chakra locations:
bhsZ2u3R0Ks

(I do include the good parts of this lecture in my Conscious Explorer Series (21 parts now) http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?79727-Invite-to-my-doco-series-Conscious-Explorer-Ancient-Past-Present-Task)
p09V1XbDGaI

There is also a very sacred site pretty close to home. The Dreamtime Centre of Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Rangers. Climbing St Mary's Peak is a good one also.
(inc in this):
HNHHMT7R6TA

Best of luck