PDA

View Full Version : Mega Donations for good...

Rocky_Shorz
4th December 2010, 22:04
We have more than enough gloom and doom threads, but I think now that the 7th Day has arrived we are going to see more and more of the Ubber rich actually reaching out to help society...

India's third richest man gives £1.27bn to children's education charity

One of India's richest men has given £1.27bn to a charity providing education for underprivileged children in rural areas.

Azim Premji, the chairman of India's third-largest software services exporter, Wipro, said he would transfer shares worth 88.46bn rupees to the Azim Premji Foundation, which he founded in 2001.

The Indian finance minister, Pranab Mukherjee, said the pledge would send out a positive signal. "I welcome it. It's a very good decision. I congratulate [him]."

Premji, 65, is India's third richest man, and the world's 28th richest, with a net personal worth of £12.6bn, according to estimates by Forbes magazine.

The donation is one of several recent high profile gifts to charities or educational institutions, many by successful entrepreneurs from India's booming information technology sector.

story link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/03/india-billionaire-donation-charity)