PDA

View Full Version : What antivirus/internet security do you use?

mojo
25th February 2016, 00:26
So many choices and difficult to pick the right one. Which product did you choose and does it work to your expectations?

Andynko
25th February 2016, 00:57
I personally have found Norton Internet Security to be a good all around product.

I use to use ESET NOD32 before that which I enjoyed more for its configurability, but it became a little pricey

letspaly
25th February 2016, 01:02
is having a mac a valid answer? :(

Andynko
25th February 2016, 01:04
is having a mac a valid answer? :(

Even if you have a MAC, it’s things like attachments from emails and other third party software’s that could take advantage of your computers defences.

guayabal
25th February 2016, 01:11
Have been using linux in my box for more than 10 years now and haven't wasted my time with an AV since then... rock solid.

Andynko
25th February 2016, 01:19
Have been using linux in my box for more than 10 years now and haven't wasted my time with an AV since then... rock solid.

lol I didn't use to use it either.
But one of the things I do appreciate about internet security is more control and being able to see what is and isn't communicating over the internet, and being able to keep an eye on any suspicious activity i didn't knowingly give my consent to.

Andynko
25th February 2016, 02:09
So many choices and difficult to pick the right one. Which product did you choose and does it work to your expectations?

Even if you don't fancy actually purchasing internet security, you can't go wrong with at least installing one of the free ones such as AVG, AVAST, Microsoft security essentials just to name a few + alongside one of the free ones if you install and use malwarebytes and run a scan fairly regularly, this is at least better than running no security at all, and it won't cost you a penny.

guayabal
25th February 2016, 02:16

lol I didn't use to use it either.
But one of the things I do appreciate about internet security is more control and being able to see what is and isn't communicating over the internet, and being able to keep an eye on any suspicious activity i didn't knowingly give my consent to.

My box runs nicely firewalled and I can monitor internet activity as detailed as needed with the firewall/OS tools... and there aren't closed source apps/services doing shady things that probably an AV won't be able to stop (e.g. microsoft stuff telemetry).

I feel I'm derailing the thread, sorry OP. If Windows is a must then this review seems honest or at least informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ5qzg4xZiQ . But I have no direct experience with this product.

Andynko
25th February 2016, 02:23
Yeah I can vouch for that tool "glasswire" Guayabal, that is another good free tool!

Morbid
25th February 2016, 02:50
being it tech for a while i kind of found avast free to be quite good. i usually turn off all the useless features and only use file & web shields. its light on system..

raregem
25th February 2016, 04:35
IOLO ... anti virus and care
WINDOW WASHER..drive scrubber

Matt P
25th February 2016, 11:00
I use Bitdefender. 2 years running and no issues. I downloaded an add on to Mozilla so I can turn ads off on certain sites.

Matt

Ikarusion
25th February 2016, 11:07
got panda antivirus since 10 years now. pretty happy with that, never had any difficulties or issues.

sdv
25th February 2016, 12:32
I personally have found Norton Internet Security to be a good all around product.

I use to use ESET NOD32 before that which I enjoyed more for its configurability, but it became a little pricey

Snap!

I also used ESET NOD32 and it is superb, but I can no longer afford the monthly fees so fall under my sister's virus protection - Norton.

Andynko
25th February 2016, 12:42

Snap!

I also used ESET NOD32 and it is superb, but I can no longer afford the monthly fees so fall under my sister's virus protection - Norton.

Buds for life me and you!

Did You See Them
25th February 2016, 13:08
As in IT guy, Trend is what we recommend for our customers.

DarMar
25th February 2016, 14:06
Security on this planet? :D
If you like to live in clouds you can make your life more painful by trying easing it out from using one of the following:

you can't go wrong with at least installing one of the free ones such as AVG, AVAST, Microsoft security essentials just to name a few + alongside one of the free ones if you install and use malwarebytes and run a scan fairly regularly

Or if you like more down to ground simple solutions:
try not to identify yourself or try not to make important any devices received for usage on this plane of reality.
trick is really simple, less you use, more you are safe ;)

anyways truth is not out there (rather inside), so no need for secure browsing, and people that feel secure behind some avg or mac have just simply fell for it.
everything digital is crackable. EVERYTHING.

Andynko
25th February 2016, 14:19
Security on this planet? :D people that feel secure behind some avg or mac have just simply fell for it.
everything digital is crackable. EVERYTHING.

I agree DarMar that having any form of internet security is no guarantee of security, and that the big players can see what we all do on our computers anyway.
But at least its a sensible precaution combined with common sense against some of that nasty day to day malware if you require serious use of your computer everyday.

Lifebringer
25th February 2016, 20:56
Avast. My son a programmer and techy geek said Avast. It's free, but I use the pro, very affordable and max control of your system.

Ivanhoe
26th February 2016, 01:04
I use Kaspersky. Easy to use and not too pricey.
I'm using windows 8 on my laptop and I'm happy with it's performance.

Dragonlive64
26th February 2016, 06:01

We are a managed service provider and we use AV Defender by Kaspersky software for Enterprise network security ... they have BitDefender for personal use though some claim it is a resource hog.

I am sending you links to a couple of sites, one that rates antivirus software and another that rates their resource usage. I hope this will help you in your decision if it hasn't already been made. After all you know what they say about opinions lol

But as guayabal said below ... Linux is the safest bet, I would recommend Ubuntu for personal use. ;-)
The bottom link was extremely long so I used a URL shortener ... but I assure you it is a safe link!

Antivirus Resource Usage - https://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/
Top 10 Rated Personal Antivirus Software - http://bit.ly/1LhjGKn

ThePythonicCow
4th March 2016, 04:02
What antivirus/internet security do you use?
Linux (currently Debian, previously at various times Suse, Red Hat and Ubuntu.)

:) :cow: :)

On my rarely used Windows 7 box, I have ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Comodo Firewall, GWX (to stop upgrades to Windows 10), Spybot Anti-Beacon, and CCleaner.

sigma6
4th March 2016, 08:08
I use Windows because I am too lazy (or too Jaded?) to go back and learn another system... and it's so seamless to me... there's nothing that can't be tweaked... the only thing I hate is when they try to make us upgrade, or when MS purposely creates "bugs" to "force" incompatibility (better not do it with W7 MICROSOFT!!! .... BILL!!!! ;o whew...sorry, almost lost my composure there... I don't think we will be giving up 7 so easily... and I think MS knows it (giving away free OS's??? o.O??? ... no thanks... W7 is too functional and practical...and dare I say it... it's even relatively super stable! ... and the most widely supported from hardware to software... what more can you ask for?

anyhow... I use a "fixed" version of Kaspersky that runs the trial period indefinitely.... ; D and also the free version of Avira on a laptop... I don't run the email or Browser components, since I think they are too intrusive and add too much overhead... and may be even unnecessary... ("Custom" install everything...) and I always dump my temp files (with CCleaner by Piriform) and dump all browser cache all the time (almost obsessively...) and never open attachments from emails I don't know... although technically, the only leak might be viewing an image file... (so I have heard...) but the main AV should still be able to catch that... This is just good maintenance, I like cleaning up as I go along... (I'm really bad for even eating dinner over the sink sometimes!...)

mojo
4th March 2016, 18:22
Thanks for all the input, Almost ready to fire up the new Pc build. Learning about bios now, the system comes with bios installed but watching Asus tech on youtube recommends installing bios update before installing the OS. I would rather run the current bios and wait until getting the Pc online then can download new bios but maybe once there is a bios it can't be changed that way??
Thanks for the additional info on CCleaner and Spybot anti beacon which I plan on installing, but still not sure which antivirus yet.

Hervé
4th March 2016, 20:45
Might want to check these from here (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=988543#post988543) (<---):

About McAfee:

check this post (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?81242-Anyone-Else-Having-Trouble-Getting-Forum-to-Load&p=948899&viewfull=1#post948899) <---

this post (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?81938-Is-the-deprecation-of-insecure-HTTP-an-attack-on-alternative-media&p=957706&viewfull=1#post957706) <---

and this post (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?59919-Edward-Snowden-the-whistleblower-behind-the-NSA-surveillance-revelations&p=972027&viewfull=1#post972027) <--- about this article: NSA, GCHQ targeted Kaspersky, other cybersecurity companies – Snowden docs (http://rt.com/usa/268891-nsa-gchq-software-kaspersky/)

PS: I finally got rid of AVG as it was getting heavier and heavier in background checks and scans with ensuing slower and slower computer. Doing fine now with Comodo Internet Security (CIS Premium = Firewall + AntiVirus).