PDA

View Full Version : 9 facts you may not have known about dandelions

chancy
25th May 2016, 15:24
Hello Everyone:
I know you thought dandelions were a weed BUT they are very, very good for you!
I know in my yard they are determined to be a weed....
Here is an article that goes into detail.
chancy

Link:
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/9-facts-may-not-known-155600473.html

9 facts you may not have known about dandelions
CBC
May 24, 2016
9 facts you may not have known about dandelions

Dandelions are sprouting up all around Manitoba while city officials and homeowners try to find ways to deal with the yellow blooms.

Dorothy Dobbie, publisher of Manitoba Gardener Magazine, offers some ideas for getting rid of the weed, plus some interesting facts.

1. Dandelions are not indigenous to North America

Dobbie: Europeans brought them to North America because they're chock full of so many good things.

2. The French have another name for them — "pee the bed"

The French word [for dandelion] is pissenlit, which translates to "pee the bed." Dandelions are a diuretic and in fact they are as strong as some of the commercial products.

3. Dandelions are full of vitamins

The leaves, the flowers and the roots are edible. A cup of dandelion greens would give you about 112 per cent of your recommended daily amount of vitamin A and 535 per cent of your recommended daily amount of vitamin K, and other things like calcium, iron and magnesium.

4. You might already be eating dandelions

You actually are eating dandelion leaves in your mesclun salads. They're commercialized now. People raise them and harvest them.

5. The English name "dandelion" comes from "tooth of the lion" in French

"Dent de lion" in French translates to "tooth of the lion" in English. The weed was given its name because of the way the leaves are etched — some people thought the leaves looked like a lion's mouth.

6. Dandelions became unpopular because they're so successful

Dandelions are a perennial and that means they come back year after year if you don't do something to make that impossible, and they're very successful seeders. Their seeds are on little parachutes that go flying wherever there's a breeze, landing in all kinds of interesting places. They're very good at putting down the little fork bottoms of their seeds and embedding themselves in the earth and springing up again.

7. Dandelions are very good at adapting

You can mow those dandelions all you like. Yes, it will take off the worst of those flowers, but they will come back. It won't get rid of them. What happens is that the dandelions spread their leaves out and nothing can grow underneath it. After a little while ago it kills your grass. After you mow them, they will still send out seeds, because they want to make seeds and survive. Maybe five years down the road instead of grass, we'll have dandelions.

8. You can kill dandelions yourself

There are little things individuals can do. You can kill dandelions with hot water — just pour boiling water on them. You can pour extra strength vinegar that you can buy at a garden centre, not the stuff from your cupboard, over them. You could take one of those weed torches and just touch the leaves with it, and that should kill them.

A long-term strategy is to get corn gluten meal. It doesn't kill the dandelion, but it does reduce the ability of the dandelion to grow, because it's a deterrent for seed development. It may take several years, though, and you have to go after the base root, because they are perennials.

9. There are several superstitions involving dandelions, including making a wish and blowing off all the dandelion seeds to make a wish come true

When I was a kid, you'd hold a dandelion under your chin, and if it showed yellow under your chin, that meant you like butter. It goes to show that dandelions have been part of our daily life for a long time. They become part of the myths and the magic of who we are.

This interview was edited for length and clarity.

raff
25th May 2016, 15:36
I had a feeling to eat the flowers as they would lessen the impact of hay fever and it works. Also the leaves are considered a digestive bitter (Google it) It's best after a meal as it helps your digestive system if it is weak. As soon as they flower I'm eating them and thanking them for their kindness and support. Any "weed" that is determined to grow near us (despite us pulling them up repeatedly in our gardens) must imo have a benefit for us.

Chip
25th May 2016, 16:48
Thanks Chancy,
I'm huge Dandelion fan. I can be caught by my neigbors picking the tender shoots for my salads. Been doing this for years now.
Also love the tea!
Have you tried "Dandy Blend"- a mixture of dry roasted barley,rye, chicory and dandelion?
I like to mix with ice and blend as a cold drink.. If you like Ice-coffee, you will be amazed as to how similar the taste is and minus the caffeine.
I have to order it from Amazon as I have yet to see it in any of the health food stores nearby.
Thanks

conk
25th May 2016, 17:22
Thanks Chancy,
I'm huge Dandelion fan. I can be caught by my neigbors picking the tender shoots for my salads. Been doing this for years now.
Also love the tea!
Have you tried "Dandy Blend"- a mixture of dry roasted barley,rye, chicory and dandelion?
I like to mix with ice and blend as a cold drink.. If you like Ice-coffee, you will be amazed as to how similar the taste is and minus the caffeine.
I have to order it from Amazon as I have yet to see it in any of the health food stores nearby.
ThanksDandy Blend is a very good alternative to coffee. I rotate in and out of coffee, allowing my sensitive stomach to rest.

Also, dandelion root is a very strong anti-cancer remedy.

shaberon
25th May 2016, 22:41
Yes, this tenacious weed is a valid crop.

Most of what's in the southeast U. S. is a little cousin called Cat's Ear, which has fuzzy leaves; true dandelion's are smooth. It's not quite as powerful, but it's not bad either. The roots and leaves are certainly edible; for flowers, use almost immediately or they will wither.

lunaflare
25th May 2016, 23:05
Having read the seven wonders of the misunderstood dandelion, I was a little sad to read #8...