PDA

View Full Version : LOCKHEED MARTIN in Daring Antarctic Rescue Mission At South Pole.

Did You See Them
22nd June 2016, 12:26
A plane has left the South Pole after a nine-hour journey over the icy continent to evacuate a sick worker from a remote US science station.

"The crew depart after a 1,500-mile, nine-hour flight across an "unforgiving and punishing environment" with temperatures of -60C."

"The worker - whose medical condition has not been disclosed - will then be flown out of Antarctica for treatment."

"It went all according to plan,"

The workers are employees of Lockheed Martin, which deals with logistics at the station, but they have not been named.

I also find it strange that the photo ( see link ) has to be qualified - "a "light sensitive" camera plus additional light from the moon had helped capture a clear image of the mission, despite it being nearly pitch black"

So what are Lockheed up to down there ?
Any ideas or thoughts ?

http://news.sky.com/story/1715593/daring-antarctic-rescue-mission-at-south-pole

Atlas
22nd June 2016, 13:05
Lockheed Martin Wins Contract Worth up to $2 Billion to Support the U.S. Antarctic Program

Lockheed Martin has been selected by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to operate and maintain the support infrastructure for the United States Antarctic Program (USAP), which enables universities, research institutions and federal agencies to conduct scientific research in the region.

GmFghpSTy-k
Under the new contract, Lockheed Martin will work with the NSF to implement a cost-effective, streamlined infrastructure for managing work stations and medical facilities, research vessels, construction projects and remote sites in and around Antarctica. The corporation also will modernize technologies to transport scientists, staff and supplies to and from the Antarctic region.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2011/december/1228-antartic-program.html

Did You See Them
22nd June 2016, 14:21
I thought I'd post this on ...GLP !! but although I had been viewing the site all morning as soon as I wrote the post, copied links etc and hit the post button I was immediately banned ! (global policy my arse ! ) So using my phone on 3G network I was able to rewrite the post and post it. It got a couple of views and 1 post but 2 hours later I look for any other responses only to find that it " is no longer in database".

Thoughts ?

Carmody
22nd June 2016, 15:18
They really mean.... "A Canadian designed Twin Otter plane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada_DHC-6_Twin_Otter), which is the only thing that can handle such extreme conditions... completes a daring mission". The Twin Otter, if there is a failure in systems.. can also dead stick land under such extreme conditions. That's why it is used all the way up in Alaska, etc, in the mountainside, etc, all year around. It is, for the most part, the only choice for any pilot who wants to actually be alive in the 'morrow of a flight, in the world's most extreme flying conditions. The original single engine Otter was just as robust in the extremes of flying.

As for GLP, GLP is not reliable anything.

That place is a controlled hay floored country hick fighting spot, a place custom designed for angry mosh pit people and their controlling forces, to gather together...and duke it out.

One side oblivious that they being taken for a ride. Their not walking away when they know it to be true, being the essential part of never ending cycles and a lack of change.

Many times it makes reddit look organized and built of polite engrossing and informing conversations among erudite and aware people.

One note though, you will see a list of accidents for this plane, a mile long. The reason for this, is the plane is the one that was and is always put at risk as part of it's day to day operation.

Like a prize fighter, it has a list of fights it has been involved in. The vast majority it wins.... and some.... it loses.

What I'm also saying, is that Lockheed martin with their 1.5 TRILLION dollar deal for F-35 planes, can't build a service plane and had to use someone else's functional plane with a proven track record. Lockheed Martin, my ass.

In Norway, the Twin Otter paved the way for the network of short-field airports, connecting rural areas with larger towns. The Twin Otter showed outstanding reliability, and remained in service until 2000 on certain routes. Widerøe of Norway was, at one time, the world's largest operator of Twin Otters. During one period of its tenure in Norway, the Twin Otter fleet achieved over 96,000 cycles (takeoff, flight and landing) per year.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Plane_arrival_at_Barra_Airport.jpg

A Loganair Twin Otter (G-BVVK) (in BA colours) lands at Barra Airport - the only airport in the world where the arrival of scheduled flights varies with the tide as planes land on the beach. That's the Northern Scotland Islands...basically... as deep in the North Atlantic as you can get, and still land a plane.... without being in the arctic. Just another hairy and scary day with a Twin Otter.

FYI, the rated flight temp limit for the twin Otter, -75C (-103F) but can go lower.....

so, -60C was risky due to the flight length, but within airplane spec. They probably had to load an aux tank into the compartment, as that flight distance is double the rating. Strip the plane, add fuel, secondary flow and filter path in the hosing, etc.... and off they go.

Just another run-of-the-mill scary as **** day with a Twin Otter.

Ines
22nd June 2016, 19:14
LOOKHEED MARTIN is just a "front" to keep people quiet and satisfied with what they "can handle" in their TV News Broadcasting System : most of that tv audience "can not handle the truth".

I have read (from years back) that there are 7 "underground" Bases in Antarctica and I believe it to be true, because I have read same thing from different sources. So, if you want to know more about it, you go look for the right information in the right place. There is information from "new" whistleblowers just "corroborating" (afirming) OLD INFORMATION. What Corey Goode (for example) has been "revealing", is nothing new; I had already knew about it as information called "conspiracy theories".

One of the most respectful defenders of that information, has been Dr. Michael E. Salla, PHD... so, if you want to know more... just look for his lates book: " Insiders Reveal Secret Space Programs & Extraterrestrial Alliances " Kindle Edition. by Michael Salla (Author), in AMAZON.

I love to hear Jimmy Church in his Radio Program, Fade to Black. I live you here,
his interview of Dr. Michael E. Salla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ooGr6qzSE

kirolak
22nd June 2016, 20:19
A plane has left the South Pole after a nine-hour journey over the icy continent to evacuate a sick worker from a remote US science station.

"The crew depart after a 1,500-mile, nine-hour flight across an "unforgiving and punishing environment" with temperatures of -60C."

"The worker - whose medical condition has not been disclosed - will then be flown out of Antarctica for treatment."

"It went all according to plan,"

The workers are employees of Lockheed Martin, which deals with logistics at the station, but they have not been named.

I also find it strange that the photo ( see link ) has to be qualified - "a "light sensitive" camera plus additional light from the moon had helped capture a clear image of the mission, despite it being nearly pitch black"

So what are Lockheed up to down there ?
Any ideas or thoughts ?

http://news.sky.com/story/1715593/daring-antarctic-rescue-mission-at-south-pole

I am probably quite crazy, but I am sure I have read this exact report before - a few years ago, in fact. . . . . . :confused: Can there have been 2 similar events?

Hervé
22nd June 2016, 21:40
The actual story and the previous emergency occurrences:

Update: Ill workers rescued from South Pole in daring winter flight (http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/emergency-rescue-launched-ill-worker-south-pole)

By Carolyn Gramling (http://www.sciencemag.org/author/carolyn-gramling)Jun. 22, 2016 , 3:00 PM

http://www.sciencemag.org/sites/default/files/styles/article_main_medium/public/images/OTTER01.jpg?itok=tijTxwOi&timestamp=1465942838
A Twin Otter leaves the South Pole in a 2003 medical evacuation. Photo by Jason Medley, NSF

Two sick workers were evacuated from the National Science Foundation's (NSF’s) Amundsen-Scott South Pole research station today and taken to the British Antarctic Survey’s Rothera station on the Antarctic Peninsula. They are now awaiting transport off the continent to receive medical care, either today or tomorrow, depending on weather conditions. NSF is not releasing the workers’ identities and medical conditions, citing privacy.

Here is our previous coverage, from 15 June:
Two propeller-driven planes took off today from Calgary, Canada, on a perilous rescue mission to the U.S. research station at the South Pole. If all goes well, one of the planes will arrive in 6 days to pick up a member of the winter-over crew suffering from an unspecified medical emergency that requires treatment at a hospital.

Every February, after the scientists have left, a few dozen people hunker down to spend the long, dark austral winter at the Amundsen–Scott South Pole research station operated by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Medical problems do occur, but most can be handled with medical personnel on site or in consultations with stateside doctors. The decision to evacuate someone is not made lightly because such a rescue operation is both dangerous and elaborate. Medevacs require planes that can operate in the extreme cold and are equipped with skis. The South Pole station has no tarmac, so the planes must land in the dark on compact snow.

The Twin Otter aircraft are operated by the Canadian firm Kenn Borek Air, Ltd., which contracts with NSF to provide logistical support to the U.S. Antarctic Program. The aircraft will fly via South America to the British Antarctic Survey’s Rothera Research Station on the Antarctic Peninsula. One will remain there as a backup for search-and-rescue operations; the other will travel another 2400 kilometers to the South Pole.

The planes are based year-round in Canada because they are used during the summer months to transport scientists working in the Arctic, says Kelly Falkner, head of NSF’s Division of Polar Programs in Arlington, Virginia. NSF doesn’t own its own aircraft, and “the program’s demand for the planes is almost nil” during the austral winter, she says. In recent decades, Kenn Borek’s Twin Otters have conducted perhaps a handful of emergency rescues.

The plight of overwintering researchers garnered national attention in 1999, when South Pole physician Jerri Nielsen learned she had breast cancer in late May. The only medical professional on hand, she enlisted untrained technicians to help her perform a biopsy and remained on station until her evacuation in October. And in August 2011, when 58-year-old Renee-Nicole Douceur, winter manager at the station, suffered a stroke, NSF deemed it unsafe to send in a rescue plane. Despite pleas from family members, a petition to the White House, and numerous media stories, Douceur remained at the South Pole for 2 months until she finally caught a ride out on a scheduled cargo plane (http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/10s/renee.html).

NSF officials have not identified or released any information about the medical condition of the crew member, who is employed by Lockheed Martin Antarctic Support Contract (ASC). ASC is the prime contract for operations and research support contractor to NSF for the U.S. Antarctic Program.

Fellow Aspirant
22nd June 2016, 23:09
Yes, there was another incident very similar to this, but it was way back in 2001. The same company, same aircrew using the same model of aircrft was used. This Canadian company has a reputation for pulling off this type of highly dangerous mission. Where the information about Lockheed's involvement came from is beyond me. It should be noted that the aircraft involved in both of these rescues had to fly from Calgary, Alberta ( latitude 51 degrees north - from the equator, that's more than half way the north pole, for those not up on their Canadian geography - that's a hell of flight in such a small aircraft!)

Here's the story from the first time it was done, from the Canadian Television CTV news, 2001:

In 2001 Canadians aviators were called upon to pull off a dramatic rescue at the South Pole. A risky mission undertaken by a crew and plane from Calgary’s Kenn Borek Air.

It’s a land of either perpetual darkness or constant daylight. Fourteen million square kilometres of ice and snow - about one and a half times the size of Canada. Antarctica is truly the last great wilderness.

During the Antarctic summer at the Amundsen-Scott Research Center, scientists visit this remote corner of the world to collect data about the ozone layer and global warming.
Related Stories

Hurricane-force winds, heavy snow hamper search for missing Canadians
Plane carrying 3 Canadians goes missing in Antarctica

Photos
Kenn Borek Air

A Kenn Borek Air Twin Otter sits on a makeshift runway at the South Pole.
Twin Otter South Pole

One of the Kenn Borek Air Twin Otters was able to land at the South Pole. But would it be able to depart?
Group photo

Canadian flight crew and scientists at South Pole Amundsen-Scott Research Center pose for a photo in 2001 to commemorate historic rescue mission

But in the winter, everything shuts down. Six months of darkness engulfs the South Pole. Temperatures are so low that no life form can survive, except under a domed bunker built for a handful of scientists who continue their research.

Completely isolated from the rest of the world, the South Pole in winter is like living on the moon. After the last plane, usually in March, no one can leave and no one arrives, except just one remarkable time.

In the midst of winter’s isolation in 2001, the station’s medical doctor, Dr. Ron Shemenski developed pancreatitis and needed emergency surgery. At a hospital, in the outside world simple day surgery would cure him, but at the South Pole, nothing is simple. Shemenski needed to be evacuated – immediately.

But Shemenski was initially not too keen on having to leave the station.

“What was pointed out to me, I had the right to take my own chances, but I did not have the right to take the chance and leave 49 people without a doctor down there for the winter… I’m the only physician and there’s nobody to back me up. And that was the decision to take me out. I didn’t agree with it, but that was the decision,” said Shemenski.

So the South Pole base manager and support staff back in Denver developed an extraordinary plan. For the first time in history, they would send a plane to the bottom of the world in total darkness, to rescue the doctor and bring in a replacement. The temperatures at that time of year were cold enough to snap a piece of metal like a twig. The call first went out to the U.S. Air Force and its Air National Guard wing.

Fifty American military personnel were enlisted. Three LC-130 Hercules cargo planes were put on stand by and moved into position at Christchurch, New Zealand, to airlift the doctor back to the States. But the South Pole was too cold for the Hercules. Even if they landed, they’d never get back off the ground. The U.S. Air Force soon called off the mission.

But Raytheon, the American corporation that co-ordinates supplies for the South Pole, wasn’t giving up. If the U.S. Air Force wasn’t up to the job, they believed the Canadians would be.

It would be up to three young men in one small Canadian bush plane.

Sean Loutitt, Mark Cary and Norm Wong were about to embark on the flight of their lives on the legendary Twin Otter. It was designed by Canada’s deHavilland Aircraft in the 1960s, specifically for the Canadian north. The Twin Otter played a crucial role in opening the remote regions of Canada. Forty years later, it’s still the workhorse of the north. (The plane also ferries tens of thousands of passengers a year on commuter flights between Vancouver and Victoria.)

Sean Loutitt would lead the mission to the South Pole. Loutitt was the chief pilot for Kenn Borek Air in Calgary. For more than two decades the pilots of Kenn Borek Air and their Twin Otters have been criss-crossing the Antarctic.

As a seasoned bush pilot, raised in Canada’s Arctic, Loutitt is familiar with flying in extreme conditions. He also knew the Antarctic weather and understood the risks. Loutitt would leave nothing to chance.

“I don’t want to risk my life. I’m not going on a suicide mission...You start thinking about some of the possibilities that could happen and you want to make sure you plan for all the contingencies involved,” said Loutitt.

Two Twin Otters would leave from Calgary. One plane would fly into the South Pole. The second plane would act as a back up, in case of an emergency.

At the South Pole, the staff would have 10 days to prepare for the Twin Otter. Their first challenge – dig out a two-kilometre landing strip.

The small plane landing would be landing blind, in blowing snow and life robbing cold – at the bottom of the world. The runway was over two kilometers from base camp. The tractors had never operated before at temperatures this low. They were afraid the tracks would snap. At the South Pole, they were getting ready for the unbelievable.

The simplest task took considerable time and effort and planning. It was like working in outer space. Even the simplest task – like lighting the runway – required ingenuity.

“We had to light a runway with 55 gallon drums filled with wood and gas. Gasoline won’t burn at those temperatures. We poured gasoline on the wood and it wouldn’t burn, it just turns to crystals and the only way we could get the gasoline to burn was to use a propane torch to heat it up to the point where it starts to burn,” said Shemenski.

The two fully loaded Twin Otters made the five-day flight from Calgary to Punta Arenas, Chile. From there, they lifted off and headed to the British research station, Rothera on the Antarctic Peninsula. From Rothera, they would make the 10-hour journey south, across the continent to the South Pole, to save Dr. Shemenski.

Using the most sophisticated weather forecasting equipment in the world, they waited for a 36-hour window of good weather. Enough time to get to the South Pole, rest then fly back out.

There were two planes, two crews. One would go to the Pole; the other would wait at Rothera. It would be the search and rescue plane if the first one went down. It had been decided that Loutitt and Cary would be the pilots going to the pole. They then flipped a coin to decide which of the two mechanics would join them.

After three days in Rothera, there was a break in the weather. And so began the ten-hour flight into the unknown. Approximately half-way they would reach the point of no return – where they would no choice but to fly to the Pole.

Four hours into the flight, the weather took a turn for the worse but the crew carried on with their mission instead of turning back. The Twin Otter made a perfect landing. An incredible journey across a dark, empty continent – guided in by a dozen burning barrels.

“To finally see what you’re looking for and to be able to identify, that was an extremely special moment… It was very poetic actually to arrive at the bottom of the world, in a land that’s covered in ice and snow, to these glowing barrels of burning debris,” said Cary.

But the journey was only half over – and the most difficult part was yet to come.

They had begun a new chapter in aviation history – now if they could get off the ground the chapter would be complete.

But when they started up the engines to leave, there was trouble. The flaps were frozen in the fully extended position. If they couldn’t be fixed, the plane would never get the speed it needed for flight. If the problem wasn’t fixed – they would spend the next 6 months at the South Pole. It would be up to engineer Norm Wong to fix the plane.

“You get a heightened awareness. Time seems to slow done and you just focus on the problem and what you need to – accomplish what the goal is to get the aircraft running and operating again,” said Wong.

When the going gets rough, bush pilots are notorious for throwing out the rule book. They call it bush maintenance. They jerry-rigged the controls, not part of aviation rules, but they’re not exactly written for winter at the South Pole.

It was one of the slowest, longest, take-offs in Twin Otter history. But they were in the air. They hoped they were going in the right direction, but the instruments couldn’t be trusted in this cold, remote corner of the world. Later they received a sign.

“All of a sudden, there was this faint pink line on the horizon. It was really beautiful to watch it grow. It was like a gift and a sign to say everything’s going to work out and you guys are going the right way,” said Cary.

The rescue was over. But as they arrived in Punta Arena, Chile, they were met by scores of reporters – the eyes of the world were turned upon the Canadian crew and the reclusive Dr. Shemenski. It may have been the only time the crew of the Twin Otter were truly scared.

By the time they landed back in Calgary the media interest had reached a fevered pitch. Two Canadian pilots and one Canadian engineer had conquered the coldest place in the world. It would change the South Pole and perhaps Canada forever.

At Rideau Hall, the residence of the Governor General, the Twin Otter crew received their country’s honour for bravery.

They had made history, saved a life, and changed forever the isolation at the bottom of the world.

Carmody
23rd June 2016, 04:26
A relative of mine owned 7 twin otters in his fleet. In my late teens, I had an open invitation to become a bush pilot (and get my single, multi, and helicopter licenses), no fees, free of charge. The relative was licensed to train and qualify pilots. Just show up... and dig into it. Train, qualify, and work, all at the same time. I still regret not taking that crazy turn, sometimes.

Like Mel Gibson in 'Air America', he'd always say, "Don't worry, I crash better than anyone I know" (http://www.traileraddict.com/air-america/second-crash)

Carmody
28th June 2016, 14:06
Say that again please? Lockheed-Martin has a contract for scientific research in Antarctica? The same Lockheed-Martin renowned for advanced aerodynamics, the same Lochheed-Martin that is a key corporate defense contractor and player in the US military-industrial complex? The same Lockheed-Martin that recently rolled out its small nuclear fusion reactor(that, let it be recalled, looked suspiciously like the 1960s patents for the same by Philo Farnsworth), small enough to "fit on the back of a truck?" The same Lockheed-Martin whose former chief of its "Skunk works", Ben Rich, is alleged to have said before he died that "we found an error in the equations" and now "we can take ET home" and a number of other equally provocative remarks? The same Lockheed-Martin that is alleged, in certain alternative research and Ufology circles has been one of the companies in the vanguard of "anti-gravity" research?

Well, I think you can guess where my high octane speculation is going: Lockheed-Martin would not be in Antarctica investigating penguins, nor taking ice core samples, sponsoring seismic studies or investigating Antarctica's many thermal pools and lakes. It's an aeronautics company. Airplanes, conventional and otherwise, are its bailiwick, in addition to data-management and so on and so forth. Did they find some sort of lost ancient high technology there? A crashed flying saucer? No one is saying, and in the absence of any clear indications, then wild and wooly speculations abound.

http://gizadeathstar.com/2016/06/strange-goings-antarctica/

KiwiElf
28th June 2016, 14:52
Oddly enough, a similar scenario is being suggested by Dr Salla, Corey Goode & David Wilcock:

http://operationdisclosure.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/game-over-for-cabal-evidence-of-space.html

Extract (full article at link)

Lockheed Martin is one of the companies named by Goode and other SSP whistleblowers as a key player in the Cabal-run space program. They apparently have a facility in Antarctica, which according to Goode and William Tompkins (another SSP whistleblower), is home to massive bases and installations below the icy surface.

In the below CNN article, published on June 22nd, it was revealed that the foundation in charge of US operations there is seeking assistance but refuses to disclose any details.

The foundation is not identifying the patient or any medical information because of patient privacy except to say the patient is seasonally employed through the Lockheed Martin Antarctic Support Contract.

As will be provided in this article, it appears that the recent announcement of a rescue mission to the southernmost continent could be a cover story for a more clandestine mission of providing aide and assistance to a wounded Cabal and their off-world allies.

Carmody
28th June 2016, 15:10
I thank you for mentioning it (no issue for me), but in the case of trying to get the bulk of the public and what they call leadership, ie the scientific minded, the logical minded..when carefully trying to get such people to actually take a look, it makes a horrible mess. For them (the logical and scientific minded mainstream)..it takes a giant childish dump in the middle of the room.

I don't like the stink of Coorey goode being conflated with the well researched work of Joseph Farrell.

It causes people who think that things should be well considered, so they can use their facilitates of logic and discernment..it causes those people to walk away...when the stink and shtick of a corey goode and associated --totally unsupportable trash talk-- enters the same room.

He (wilcock/goode) can have his/their own threads and connections.

Thus, the logical thought being.....For the sake of humanity, please don't conflate Joseph Farrell and Corey goode. Even accidentally. the target audiences may meet at the end of whatever is going on (possibly), but not in the middle.... as it simply causes breakdown of direction and energies.

I don't mean to be or sound harsh, it's just that this small seeming point is also ultra-critical when seen from another angle, the important angle, the angle that has nothing to do with me or you.....

Before you know it, a single De Havilland twin otter flight..... has turned into a spinning weirded out giant alien attack drama horse**** story.

Which pushes away more than half of the people reading on the forum....who should be looking at 'why the hell is Lockheed Martin, in Antarctica?'